bigbuckbob 18-Dec-14
Bill S 18-Dec-14
MikeLeone 18-Dec-14
ponarrow 20-Dec-14
BigWoods71 20-Dec-14
Dream Catcher@work 20-Dec-14
Wayniac 21-Dec-14
16-Dec-14
After missing a coyote with the bow earlier in the season, I wished I had a firearm to ensure the dirty deed done.

Well today I was hiking about with the muzzleloader and suddenly was bombarded with a flock of flying turkeys. In pursuit was a coyote. Unaware, he offered an incredible 10 yard shot in a dense laurel patch. Upon firing, the primer did not ignite the powder charge. Oh how I swore and wished I had my "fail-safe" instead. The irony!

(Note to fellow bow hunters that also hunt black powder. Even after cleaning the firearm well, dry fire a primer through the breech before loading to ensure a clear, reliable firing hole. I forgot to do this today)

16-Dec-14
*"fail safe" bow instead*

16-Dec-14
Whenever I clean mine I always stick a wire in the breech plug hole then look through it in front of light. Only takes a second to not deal with misfires.

16-Dec-14
spike, I have a tool and did exactly that

16-Dec-14
Took a pop at a coyote with the muzzleloader a few days ago and dropped a good sized sapling that jumped in front of it. Sometimes if one thing doesn't happen it's another. We'll get um next time.

16-Dec-14
Thats odd bigwoods, should be good if holes clear. What gun is it?

16-Dec-14
Also what brand powder and primer?

16-Dec-14
Always a good idea to fire a primer before loading to make sure that any oil or moisture is removed regardless of how clean it was before.

17-Dec-14
Been there done that only I was shooting at a deer .I learned .

17-Dec-14
Till jan 31 its coyote trapping season

17-Dec-14
Looks like it's time to jump into the present and grab a muzzleloader that shoots 209 primers.

I hope you kill every single coyote you come across. Good luck the rest of the season.

17-Dec-14
I used to do that but stopped, when I clean the gun I unscrew the nipple, submurge in my cleaning water (hot water and ivory soap). Once I clean my barrel, I take the nipple, clean it good (wire as stated above) and blow it out and make sure it is dry and clear. I also make sure that all water is clear of the barrel by blowing it out and letting it dry before installing the nipple back. After that install nipple and blow into the end to make sure air is flowing from barrel through nipple. I dont use any oil. I never has a problem doing it this way with my TC Renegade 54 cal.

I always felt that firing a cap was dirty and there was more chance of a problem by firing one. This is just me being over conservative. Now flintlock...thats another frustrating story.

I am looking to give a few a headache with the .22 on state land this year.

17-Dec-14
Just part of the joy of smoke poles.

17-Dec-14
Took two coyotes in ffld cty after a particularly terrible day of hunting (frozen and didn't see anything) Nasty SOB's

17-Dec-14

MikeLeone's Link
I had a shot and miss at one on Tuesday. Got it on Video

http://youtu.be/49j6UDPzJhE

Still don't know how I missed

18-Dec-14
Mike

was that in Southington?

18-Dec-14
I missed a very blonde coyote yesterday as well, in a swamp, about 50 yard shot, I think i deflected off something, because i had my gun tight to the tree, crosshairs locked on it. It was thick. At least I gave it a good scare!

18-Dec-14
That was in a top secret location.....

20-Dec-14

ponarrow 's embedded Photo
ponarrow 's embedded Photo
First time pulling the trigger on an animal with a gun.only bow hunted.wish it was a deer but maybe next time

20-Dec-14
Nice, another win for team deer

20-Dec-14
I took a coyote today as well.

21-Dec-14
Mike-

Looks very similar in color to one I saw but had no shot at in early Nov...

• Sitka Gear