brewcrewmike 18-Dec-14
10orbetter 18-Dec-14
happygolucky 18-Dec-14
brewcrewmike 18-Dec-14
bloodtrail 18-Dec-14
Bobbin hood 18-Dec-14
Zonks32 19-Dec-14
16-Dec-14
Got letter in the mail today saying a deer my Son shot during gun season tested positive for CWD. I know there is no proof that eating the meat will harm you. Deer appeared to be healthy and no signs that it was sick. So whats everyone's take on it, would you eat it or not? Sad thing is we didn't label the bags so now its somewhat mixed in with the other bags of meat from the other two we put in the freezer.

16-Dec-14
Great question. As far as I know there have been no documented cases of the disease or any similar disease crossing over to humans. But do you want to take the chance?

The choice is yours, and I can not say what choice I would make as I too have a freezer full of venison.

Sorry to hear about the letter.

16-Dec-14
Bad thing is I have two other deer in the freezer from this fall from same property that were NOT tested. So who knows on those? We have taken and eaten quite a few deer off this property in recent years that were not tested as well. As far as I know some were positive!?

17-Dec-14

Turkeyhunter's Link
Too bad about the letter.

You're statistically more likely to acquire and/or die of a foodborne illness from something improperly handled from a grocery or a restaurant.

If you over-analyze and worry about something that might kill you it will take years off of your life...

17-Dec-14
Consult your family doctor! Seriously, see what he/she says. Then make a family decision. If one member says no, toss it and keep the antlers.

17-Dec-14
BT, you must get of all the meet ASAP at a secure location which will dispose it, safely and securely.

PM me and I'll send you my address;)

17-Dec-14
Pat, I no longer have my deer tested. Haven't in years. I know of several people that have eaten positively tested deer, but only found out after the results, after they consumed some of the meat. The choice is still yours. No offense 10, but what does a doctor's opinion matter in this instance? There's plenty of data and information on how to handle the deer.

Better question is, did you filet the deer off the bone? I would assume yes. Did you eat any of the prion rich parts of the deer? I would assume no. So I think you are just fine! If it were me, I would still eat it, but I also don't have my deer tested because I don't want to have to make the decision you are in. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak.

17-Dec-14
If you tested all the beef that go to slaughter you would find illness among them as well.

Do you want to know the bacteria that is on vegetables that only get rinsed at best?

If you ran a battery of test on ourselves most if probably think of the food we eat as being the least of our problems.

Ignorance is bliss when it come to certain topics:)

Use common sense when butchering, cook well and enjoy....

17-Dec-14
I have hunted in Colorado and have had deer tested, no positives for many years. Does it mean that the tests were all done correctly? No. Does it bother me that my family has eaten the meat? No.

Yes, many people have eaten deer from there and all over the United States. Has it been around for 50 years? Possibly, but the first case was discovered in the wild in 1985. It was first discovered in 1967 in Laramie County Colorado (Near Fort Collins).

It has probably been around for longer than that, it was just not discovered.

Let common sense prevail. Use your best judgement, talk to the professionals.

Good luck on making the decision.

17-Dec-14
I don't really worry about CWD but I'm not sure if I would eat it if it were tested positive. I wouldn't fault anyone for throwing it out though.

My brother shot a deer in Oklahoma a couple weeks ago that stuck to high heaven. Both front shoulders were full of puss and fluids, they got tossed. We cut the rest up but even after freezing it it still smells terrible, kind of a cross between rut smell and a gut shot deer. I don't know what to do with it but I don't really feel like eating it. Maybe I will give it to the local zoo and feed the wolves and cats, I already got them 10 50 gallon barrels of deer bones for the animals.

17-Dec-14
I arrowed my last Elk in a CO CWD hot zone . When the rancher came through camp the next day to pick up the Elk he asked me if i wanted it CWD tested . I asked him if the locals get there animals tested . He said hardly anyone gets their animal tested unless its nr's from WI .

Eat it .

17-Dec-14
BT What county was that deer from ?

17-Dec-14
I would eat it and so would my family. No link of a jump to humans.

17-Dec-14
I personally would not eat it. I would ask friends if they wanted it after disclosing it has CWD.

17-Dec-14
I wouldn't eat it. We found a sick deer during gun season that couldn't walk. Called the warden and he came out. The deer had died before he got there. He looked at it and said just leave it for coyote bait. I was surprised he did not take it for tests.

17-Dec-14
Venison, Venison, eat it up, eat it up, YUM, YUM!!

I can think of lots of ways to die, but none of them sound better than, "He died from eating too much venison."

Well maybe, "He died from too much (###) with that hot blonde," is better than death by venison, but other than that....

17-Dec-14
"Well maybe, "He died from too much (###) with that hot blonde," is better than death by venison, but other than that.... "

Death by multiple hot blondes?

17-Dec-14
No worries just dont do a shrimp app before

17-Dec-14
Personally I would eat it

17-Dec-14
Enjoy the good food I would eat it.

18-Dec-14
If you hunt in an area where CWD is known to be shouldn't you already have this question already answered? For me personally, I am not going to shoot a deer unless I intend to eat it. Isn't that the whole point of deer hunting?

If you aren't going to eat it be sure to donate it to a food shelter or other place that will be sure to use it and help those in need.

18-Dec-14
Eat it and if you end up squatting and screaming, than you know it was bad meat! Or, if you go to the toilet and you hear a sucking noise, look down, and it is you asshole taking a drink, it was bad meat. Or,…you get the point!

18-Dec-14
"If you aren't going to eat it be sure to donate it to a food shelter or other place that will be sure to use it and help those in need. "

Do food shelters accept a deer known to have CWD? I'm guessing a person should disclose that information before donating one to a food shelter.

18-Dec-14

brewcrewmike's Link
I posted a link to your question. It says the donated meat will be tested for CWD but it doesn't say they will refuse it. If given the choice between going hungry or eating the venison I'm just guessing they will eat the meat.

If it were me I'd eat the meat but that's just me. As the original poster mentioned the animal looked healthy.

18-Dec-14
Someone asked where the deer was taken. It was just 4-5 miles from Barneveld. I still have the meat in the freezer and its separate from the other meat. Just until I made my decision. At this point Im leaning towards eating it. For all I know the other two deer in the freezer (were not tested) could have CWD and the deer we ate through the past few years that were not tested might have as well for all that I know! I cut the deer up myself and all done with a filet knife. So no saws ripping through bone or any thing like that which could spread anything to the meat. Deer appeared to be as healthy as any other deer we have taken on that property.

18-Dec-14
Between my 2 son and I we have taken 3 positive and they were all healthy looking, full of fat and etc. We've eaten them all will continue to do so!

19-Dec-14
Well played Geitz....well played!! Tip of the cap to you sir.

• Sitka Gear