Treerat 21-Dec-14
SixLomaz 21-Dec-14
Treerat 21-Dec-14
Bloodtrail 22-Dec-14
Will 22-Dec-14
bigbuckbob 22-Dec-14
notme 22-Dec-14
18-Dec-14
Redding, CT - Deer population and hunter harvest (archery, rifle, muzzle loader and land owner), decline over the last 6 years.

2009 - 321 deer harvested

2010 - 258 deer harvested

2011 - 243 deer harvested

2012 - 221 deer harvested

2013 - 141 deer harvested

2014 - 63 deer harvested to date

From 2009 to 2014 we see the deer population and harvest rate go down by approximately 80%. The Redding town deer reduction program which targeted does is now down 90%. This can be attributed to the baiting and the unlimited doe replacement tag program initiated by the CT DEEP. At this rate the State of Connecticut is allowing the destruction of white tail deer in Redding, CT in a move against the conservation principles they once protected. It is only a matter of time before the area is a bone yard if we are not already there. The State and town have changed the subject. They are no longer taking about ticks as reported cases of Lyme increased by 62.5% + over the last 4 years in Redding despite the significantly decreasing deer population.

When will the CT DEEP step in and put a stop to the over kill of deer. Will they wait until all the deer have been destroyed ?

The CAES and CT DEEP Wildlife Management will again insist that there are 42 + deer per square mile in order to justify White Buffalos taking of another 25 deer outside their designated 1 mile test sites next year at $1,300 per deer; deer we can`t afford to loose.

The CT DEEP is leaving sportsmen and the public of CT in the dark about how many deer were harvested this year....2014. They will tell us what they want us to believe late in 2015. When do the sportsman of Connecticut step up and say to the CT DEEP..........Stop!

18-Dec-14
Regardless of regulations we as hunters are suppose to manage the herd as we see it. Being in the woods countless hours we know more about population than anyone else. Can't only blame the state if the deer herd is being decimated the hunting population is just as guilty. Eat some tags for a couple years it will come back. I haven't even drawn my bow this year and it's not because I haven't seen deer but because of the lack of mature deer and reduction in doe population I've noticed. The only mature animal that I would have shot was taken by my wife last week Im completely happy not harvesting a deer this year if no other mature animal shows up.

18-Dec-14
Deer hunting has become a politically driven endeavor in many areas of the state. Now we have to get the rest of the hunters to practice sound conservation principles each time they go into the woods.

18-Dec-14
Or it could be that the tagging system is so bad that people are starting to catch on to how easy it is to be dishonest.

18-Dec-14
I haven't shot a deer this year and I hunt Redding too , Its the same old thing I let them walk and the guy next door shoots 20 and he thinks he is doing the right thing because he is doing everything to the law .Until the state changes nothing is going to happen ! When I started hunting none of my friends would think about shooting a doe only my friends father was allowed too .

STEVE

18-Dec-14
steve,thats because he was the tribal elder wearing the brontosorus skin...lol

18-Dec-14
Now I wear it .LOL

18-Dec-14
"Eat some tags for a couple years it will come back"

...and the state will call WB poachers to do the job hunters are failing to do. State will not look at it the same way we do. For them, a drop in the harvest numbers means we are not getting it done. For us, we know its the deer numbers are way down.

Damn if you do, damn if you don't.

18-Dec-14
"Until the state changes nothing is going to happen"

X2 - as a group, hunters in CT(both gun & bow) will never be able to police themselves to the point that everyone is on board, so until regulations change it will never happen. No one cares or will ever care about the sportsman in Fairfield County. This is not the midwest where hunting is a way of life and has economic value to communities. Talk all you want about conservation, passing up deer, tagging system, etc. its just not going to change, that is reality.

For example, in PA, prior to antler restrictions in 2001, the PGC asked all hunters to consider passing on young bucks with less than 3 points per side so that these bucks were allowed to make it at least another year. It never worked, the hunters that did it were such a minority it didnt matter. Until they finally adopted antler restrictions into law is when things finally changed for the better.

18-Dec-14
Hear you crow , but WB has been hired ( I'm not that up to date on it but from reading on this site mostly redding/easton area and they take maybe 50-100 deer in the past? ) we are talking about deer harvest in this state that are probably 10-12k deer. I doubt many other towns will hire WB to clean up thousands of deer when most towns have budget problems. If we as hunters cut deer harvest by 3-4k deer a couple seasons I doubt WB will be hired to kill all those. Maybe I'm wrong but just how I see it.

18-Dec-14
Question: Looking at that the numbers are going down slowly for a few years, then all of a sudden 2013-2014 its like the deer just died. Makes no sense that such a big drop would occur given the numbers had been slowly dropping prior.

Is 2012 the year they started WB or doing some other similar thing? Had it kept going down by 10-25 per year, then ok, but that's almost a 100 deer drop there which is weird.

That said, it's funny that when it's all said and done, the town of redding may yeild more deer this year than Z6 here in MA - which includes many towns! Not saying I'd want the numbers that low... just saying it's good you all are thinking about it and can potentially use it create change before you have towns with 20 deer per year killed - in a good year!

18-Dec-14
What is your source for the deer kill numbers? As far as I know the 2014 numbers aren't available.

If you look at the deer kill numbers per year posted, they are far and above almost every town, 2x, 3x or 4x as much in some cases. They are unsustainable. Hunting Zone 3 & 4 with 10-12 deer/per mile is what we northerners have been used to since day 1. It gets discouraging at times, but that's hunting.

18-Dec-14
This isn't just happening in Redding unfortunately ... All good points brought up! I've been ranting periodically about the decreasing deer population and my concerns over the last few years. We've been spoiled in CT and there were probably too many deer at times but now the numbers are scary low IMO. If we wait for the state to do their studies, make adjustments (doubt it) and hunters not regulate our own take, things will only get worse ... I still believe the driving force to keep reducing deer numbers is the insurance industry ...

18-Dec-14
I think if we expect a SUBSTANTIAL shift in the number of deer it has to come from the state, not individual hunters.

I know that in some areas of state land that I hunt I have noticed an slight increase over the past couple of years, but way too small to say it's because I let certain deer walk. I've also seen less hunters in those areas, so that also contributes.

Also keep in mind that we had heavy snowfall 2 and 3 years ago that stayed with us for several months with the cold temps, so mortality was probably up due to the weather.

18-Dec-14
Some of this is attributable to the weather, it isn't just the policies of the DEEP. We've had a hurricane in October a few years ago, snowfall in October a few years ago and one of the coldest damn winters on record.....some is hunting pressure, but Mother Nature figures into a large part of this also. By no means am I defending White Buffalo, I consider them to be a scourge, but you have to take all things into consideration.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_North_American_cold_wave

18-Dec-14
With that said,.......I still think that the DEEP has the largest positive or negative impact on the herd. In this case, it's had a negative impact without a doubt.

18-Dec-14
You can't discount habitat loss, although maybe less so in places like Redding.

It seems like the state is doing little to nothing to improve habitat in state forests. Seems it should be an easy fix for the state to designate areas for tree cutting and sell permits to private individuals to cut and take the trees for either private or commercial use.

Forests with nothing but mature growth isn't helping the deer any or a lot of other game species. We need some successional habitat to go along with the mature forests.

18-Dec-14
I can assure you that these numbers are real.

The numbers Airrow quoted for Redding are for Hunting which is, as he said, defined as the take by: Archery + Shotgun/Rifle, + Landowners + Muzzleloaders.

Below is the info from Redding and the url to the "CT Deer Program Summary" put out by the DEP/DEEP. (see for yourself, or look up your town).

I have also included the "Total" take (which adds in Cropkill, Roadkill and 'other'). and expanded the numbers backwards to 2005 (I couldn't find earlier summaries).

By hunters: = Archery + Shotgun/Rifle + Landowner + Muzzleloader Total: (= Hunting + Cropkill, + Roadkill and + "Other")

2005: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum05.pdf

229 by hunting. 295 Total.

2006: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum06.pdf

261 by hunting. 315 Total.

2007: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum07.pdf

236 by hunting. 281 Total.

2008: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum08.pdf

278 by hunting. 333 Total.

2009: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum09.pdf

321 by hunting. 343 Total.

2010: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum10.pdf

258 by hunting. 301 Total.

2011: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum2011.pdf

243 by hunting. 274 Total.

2012: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum2012.pdf

221 by hunting. 241 Total.

2013: http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/game/deersum2013.pdf

141 by hunting. 156 Total.

18-Dec-14

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

18-Dec-14
If the deer population continues to decrease, the Tick cases will go sky high in Redding...What will the Town do next ???

WB for Ticks??

18-Dec-14
Very good points have been brought up regarding habitat loss and weather; these should not be minimized.

That being said, it is the responsibility of the CT DEEP to monitor the health of the deer herd and to make the necessary adjustments to ensure that the health of the CT deer herd is maintained.

In years past the CT DEEP fulfilled that mission by bringing in the Sept archery season, increasing the number of tags and continued that mission when they went to replacement antlerless tags in Zones 11 & 12.

At some point over the past 4-5 years though the CT DEEP has not made the necessary modifications based on the realities of the CT deer herd. Clearly the replacement tag system has outlived it's purpose and should go. Serious consideration should be given to protecting does in areas of the state as has been done for years now in Zone 4A.

I for one would like to see a forum for us to express our views to the CT DEEP, whether that forum be a public or private meeting. The current policy of the CT DEEP towards deer hunting is simply not sustainable.

18-Dec-14
So it is down from it's peak, but it was climbing in 05 by 50% to a peak in 09. Why was the harvest climbing ten years ago? More licenses sold? More people into bow hunting (both doing it and allowing it, like landowners)? Another way of saying it is it's down a third since 05, if you ignore the spike in 09. But I bet in both 05 and 09, residents would have told you there are too many deer around.

Personally, I wish one of our ranks, a lawyer preferably, would take WB and the DEEP to task with legal actions. WB breaks the law and written agreements often, and is a danger to the public well being. The DEEP should be managing the herd with hunting and it should be illegal for municipalities to take over from the DEEP and manage things locally with WB. Hunting should be a right, rather than a privilege. Pat for president!!

18-Dec-14
2005 is when the Town of Redding started to allow Limited Bowhunting on Town owned properties.

The effort was expanded and really got rolling in 2006 Here are the numbers: -2006: 100 deer -2007: 126 -2008: 142 -2009: 127 -2010: 104 -2011: 83 -2012: 81

The other Deer Wardens and I resigned after the 2012 Season because the Town signed on with White Buffalo and the "Tick Study" and we no longer felt that the goals of the Deer Wardens and the Town Leaders aligned. New Deer Wardens were brought in, but after one season, they too ... well, I'll let them tell their own story.

18-Dec-14
Its funny .....every state or province you go too...the residents think the DEP,DNR,MNR are not managing the HERD correctly......just read up in every forum not just bowsite....

Is anyone shocked the numbers in Redding are down....WB just killed 100++++......I would assume the hunter numbers in Redding are down because of this too.....

its more fun when the buck to doe numbers are in line...

18-Dec-14

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

18-Dec-14
are deer wardens the good old boys ?

18-Dec-14
Steve LOL

18-Dec-14
ACE,

Explain the last graph. It doesns't add up.

If hunters killed 261 and wardens 100 how can the total be 315?

18-Dec-14
Did you guys kill some of those deer only the DEEP can see?

18-Dec-14
Crow, the "Deer Warden" totals are those deer killed by the group hunting on town owned properties. They are included in the "Hunter Kill" numbers. I put up the second graph to show one possible reason the numbers increased from 2005 to 2009, this strongly suggests that Hunters were accomplishing the desired deer reduction.

FYI, I have been told that the "Deer Warden" number for 2013 was about 18 Deer, so the steep decline continued.

18-Dec-14
I like to know where the 2014 number (63 to date) came from in the original post. Although insignificant as it may be, I only ask because I'm curious to know the numbers taken in the towns I hunt. Where's the link or what's the source?

18-Dec-14
Smoothie, the DEEP has said that they will not be able to publish a running total throughout the season on their Website.

Someone here must have access to those who are keeping track.

Indications are that overall take is down Statewide, and Archery will once again outnumber Firearm take.

18-Dec-14
Guys we go down this road every year, the state is not going to do anything, they will keep sugar coating the numbers, as long as people keep buying hunting licenses and tags they don't care if there's any deer to harvest. Their QDM program is kill them all. Until new laws are in place like a new tagging system, reduced bag limits, no replacement tags I dont see things getting better.

18-Dec-14
Could also be fewer hunters getting permission to hunt the private property.

"I'll let them tell their own story."

So how many other posters on here are former/employed wardens, hunting town owned properties?

Looks to me that if you eliminate wardens hunting on town owned property, the herd would find refuge, and increase in appearances on private land. How does someone qualify to be a warden? Is warden a state job?

18-Dec-14
It would be interesting to hear what biologists said about that chart. That's a long enough sample that you would think environmental anomalies would start to factor out, and hunter kill coupled with other sources of animal death (predation, weather, etc) would have to be related to the numbers bombing.

The tick comment is funny. I always wonder a bit, why high deer numbers are presented like the key stone in lyme disease discussions... but when I think of the area I grew up, there are fewer deer than in the last 30 years for sure, and yet there are more and more lyme disease dx's. Just feels like "we" dont know enough about that disease yet to say so confidently it's all about deer numbers.

18-Dec-14
Airrow - where did you get the 2014 ytd harvest count?

18-Dec-14
The Deer Tick's host is predominantly the white-footed mouse not whitetail deer.

18-Dec-14
If you look at the NY overall deer graph over the past ten years it has a very similar trend. The DEC kept handing out too many doe permits and the take slowly descended and then took a steep drop in just a couple of years. It's taken several years to slowly recover and it's still not there yet.

19-Dec-14
I would like to know where the 2014 info came from.

19-Dec-14
Garbanzo, that is interesting. Why the deer eradication approach vs the mouse eradication approach I wonder...?

19-Dec-14
Last Tag confirmation number I have from Euro mounts is #1411767 I believe that tags start at #1400000 for 2014 So,so far as of last week 11,767 total deer where tagged in 2014. I wonder if damage permits are included in that number.

19-Dec-14
Because when you hit a mouse with your BMW it doesn't do any damage. 'Nother possibility.. if you hate hunting remove the game.

19-Dec-14
"Because when you hit a mouse with your BMW it doesn't do any damage"

LMAO

19-Dec-14
I just joined this site, I have enjoyed reading all your posts for many years and because of arthritis I cant shoot a bow anymore. I'm a gun hunter and apologize for posting here. But I hunt bethel and have hunted the same piece of property for 32 years it is right next to redding I have shot deer every year except for the last 2 I have not seen an antlered buck in 2 years. this year I have hunted 14 days and seen 1 doe with fawn. the deer are gone I equate it to many tags, baiting , and mostly coyotes and the dreaded white buffalo [I could write horror stories about these killers

19-Dec-14
Go head we love to hear about WB Steve

21-Dec-14
I usually see at least one deer if not six on my morning commute, The morning we last had rain, no deer but I counted 12 mice running across the road. I need new tires and a lower bumper to tag those tick loving hosts.

21-Dec-14
Mikesdad,

No apologies needed; another perspective is always welcome here, thanks for sharing! Your experience sadly is not unique; the question now becomes how do we conserve the resource and maintain quality hunting opportunities?

Whatever anyone's feelings on baiting, number of tags or extended seasons I think we can get a consensus that we need better recruitment to ensure good hunting opportunities continue.

What we can control in that department is predator numbers; with, of course, some help from the DEEP. In the NW (and probably NE corner as well now) corner it's well past time for the DEEP to recognize we have a growing bear predation problem. Time to grow a set and use management authority; or we could just wait for enough of the hoi polloi to tire of their prized poodles and shitzu's to become appetizers and really raise a stink....

21-Dec-14
Well, these numbers may be somewhat inaccurate with the online registration the DEEP has instituted. The word is out that like no one is registering their deer online anymore so they can kill 20 deer. I'm seeing less and less deer on each hunt year to year. Plus the baiting going on in the State. Supposedly, the deer cannot digest the corn after a certain time during the winter and die. I don't know enough about this, but if it's true, and people still bait after November, this could be contributing to the mortality rate of our deer herd. This is where our great biologist have brought our State and once great hunting too! It's sad, but this online registration, has opened poaching up big time.

21-Dec-14
Per season (no bucks having less than 8 points):

Archery - 2 deer

Shotgun - 1 deer

Muzzleloader - 1 deer

That should be enough for anyone in CT.

DEEP revenue will increase due to RFID licenses sold. No more deer tags as each deer should have an electronic RFID tag which will report back to DEEP with geolocation and hunter RFID. The ticks could be genetically engineered to carry the RFID tags to each deer or WB could be hired to deliver non-lethal shots carrying RFID's. Problem solved and we go back to an 80% increase in car accidents due to deer collision. Everyone should be happy as per US constitution regarding the pursuit of happiness.

Oh, and before I forget we have to convince DEEP to just pick another day, rotating monthly, except Saturdays, to prohibit hunting instead of the current Sunday. I have more deer show up during the daylight on Sunday than any other day. Call me sad and tempted in CT.

21-Dec-14
SixLomaz, that was brilliant!!!!! Where did you go to college?

21-Dec-14
TreeRat,

I did not go to college. I watch YouTube daily instead. No college loans for me. Education is now truly free for anyone willing to learn. Just steer clear of YouTube spam/junk.

I have the letter ready to be sent to DEEP. Anyone cares to sign it alongside my John Hancock? You can do it!

Too much moringa seed tonight ...

21-Dec-14
Sounds interesting to say the least SixLomaz! Never heard of this type of tagging system? Send the letter to the DEEP, you never know. However, Gov. Malloy is to busy punishing us with the revenue that he makes off of us hunters. I heard from one of the State DEEP employee's that Malloy is planning on making a new law to have everyone register any firearm they own, which includes anything from a 22 to a 10 gauge. On top of that, if your a pistol permit holder, make you pay for your permit yearly instead of every 5 years. I highly doubt that he would invest in RFID, but funnel the money to the State lobbyist's for gun control and Unions for his next election.

22-Dec-14
I do know that Malloy wants to stop the pheasant stocking program....because he said it costs too much.

Funny thing is...the tags and license fees from the previous year fully fund this program. So the sportsmen of CT pay to keep this program going with no outside funding. They pay for the birds.

Good luck talking to the DEEP. I have had conversations with Kilpatrick. They don't really go anywhere. But maybe if enough of do it, it will make an impact.

22-Dec-14
Do F and W funds in the beautiful state of CT drop into the Gen Fund?

That's messed up if that is the case!

22-Dec-14
Six

love it!! I think you collaborated with notme on that one.

22-Dec-14
BULLY my good lad..i do say that is brilliant!!!

• Sitka Gear