WBowhunt 01-Jan-15
gobbler 02-Jan-15
Babysaph 02-Jan-15
gobbler 02-Jan-15
WBowhunt 03-Jan-15
19-Dec-14

gobbler's Link

19-Dec-14
So... what's the consensus? Good, bad, indifferent?

19-Dec-14
gobbler for director!

I will start making the t-shirts right now.

19-Dec-14
That's NOT going to happen. I LIKE being retired.

I think it will be a positive depending on who they get. I suspect there will be an interim director for a while. I think there has been so much tension between Jezioro and the Legislature as well as the Commission and the DNR at large that it has been a dysfunctional situation for a while. Hopefully with someone else at the stern it will run smoother and there will be a better working relationship between all parties.

I would hope that a final candidate would have a combined education and experience with wildlife management and business management. I hope the days of political buddies getting appointed that have no real experience or education for the position getting appointed are over.

19-Dec-14
Lets get Gary Alt

19-Dec-14
I fear it could be bad, they will most likely bring someone in that will support the legislature and big business. Focusing on the dollar instead of what is best for wildlife. I feel this should be an elected position. Not an appointed one.

19-Dec-14
Maybe it's just me being cynical, and I know he did some good things but, who in their right mind would think a State Farm Insurance claim adjuster would be a good choice for DNR Director in a state where deer is the main big game?

I know it wasn't as bad as it sounds, and I feel like early in his tenure he did several positive things, but it sounds like putting a fox in charge of the hen house.

19-Dec-14
The reality of it is that whether we like it or not, or whether we feel it's right or wrong, wildlife management is a business.

They have to have money to pay biologists, administrators , law enforcement, vehicles, gas, equipment, land purchases, insurance, equipment for habitat improvement , etc.,etc. I could go on and on but I think the point is made.

We, the sportsmen, expect the best, but are the first to complain when they want a license price increase. A landowner with 10 acres wants all his family to kill all the game they can, plus want a Natural Resource police at their doorstep 5 minutes after they call them for a problem, and they want all of that without paying a penny to the DNR.

Now, don't get mad, I don't mean 100% of landowners, but that scenario plays out all the time.

To have Quality people running the DNR and providing the services we want requires money.

While nothing can be done about National Forests and State Forests, I do think hikers, bird watchers, and other people that use WMA that were bought with DNR money should pay some sort of fee to use that land.

19-Dec-14
It's political.

20-Dec-14
They will bring someone in from new york.....don't knock it....it's already happened

20-Dec-14
As long as they know wildlife, can manage an orginization and budget, and can work with people they can be from mars. LOL

21-Dec-14
Frank had the background of being a hunter and angler and outdoor writer. Somebody could be brought in who doesn't know a roll cast from a rolling block.

21-Dec-14
I know he was a good sportsman but there's a difference between being a good sportsman and running a multimillion division of government. A person needs to know the science of wildlife management, a knowledge of business, the political insight to work with the public and legislature .

I know how to kill a deer, I've killed lions, leopards, and grizzly bears but that dosen't qualify me to be the Director of the DNR

The DNR is in a bad position right now, they need over 60 million to update and repair the park system . That needs to be done without using wildlife funds or it will be in violation of the PR tax program.

It is absoultely unbelievable that our fish hatchery was fined over 90,000 dollars for pollution especially since it was given a warning 4 years ago.

Those are just a couple of multiple problems. That's why we need someone that had more expertise than just knowing how to present a Sulpher dun with a good roll cast, or being a good wing shot on grouse.

21-Dec-14
I don't care if he hunts or fishes either. He just needs to be able to get this mess straightened out.

22-Dec-14
No disrespect but I don't agree with the idea of it being an elected position.

The public could end up electing a Humane Society advocate without even knowing it because he/she had lots of money and ads on TV.

The position may be appointed, but it must be approved by the WV Senate. So if we elect good Governor's and Senators then they should be trusted to make good appointments and confirmations.

22-Dec-14
good point Lil Bear

29-Dec-14
Very good point Lil Bear. I for one am glad of the change of directors.

29-Dec-14
Manchin has a history of appointing based on relationships vs qualifications.

01-Jan-15
So does Billy Ray

01-Jan-15
There is just as good a chance of some HSUS person getting appointed because they give a lot of money to the campaign. At least if elected people can have some say in who manages the state DNR. As it stands now there is no public input.

02-Jan-15
It could cut both ways . If it were elected and the person turned out terrible we would be stuck with them for 4 years. If appointed, enough pressure could get them dismissed .

02-Jan-15
Only the governor can dismiss them though right?

02-Jan-15
Yes

03-Jan-15
Very true Gobbler, guess there are pro and cons for both options.

• Sitka Gear