razorhead 28-Dec-14
brewcrewmike 29-Dec-14
Novemberforever 29-Dec-14
Drop Tine 29-Dec-14
Jeff in MN 29-Dec-14
19-Dec-14

TrapperJack's Link
Damn!!!

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) -- A federal judge has overturned an Obama administration decision to remove the gray wolf population in the western Great Lakes region from the endangered species list.

The order affects wolves in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service removed federal protections from those wolves in 2012 and handed over management to the states. In an order Friday, U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell ruled that the removal was "arbitrary and capricious" and violates the federal Endangered Species Act.

19-Dec-14
The ESA needs to be changed! I don't know who this judge is but he may well have been acting correctly in accordance to the ESA laws. None of us want judges making laws from the bench. Look at elephants in Africa in places where they can't be hunted? Take away the monetary value of them and the animal is the one that suffers. Hunting adds value to them, tree huggers do not contribute.

19-Dec-14
Hunters who vote dem r challenged she is another tree huggin obma appointee. Real shocker here.

19-Dec-14
November I have to agree with you, but Bush had alot of goofs appointed when he ran also, he was no friend of getting a handle on them.......

Good grief, we loose control of these predators, we will have real trouble.......

All though I am always for law and order, and will always be on the right side of the law, they are going to force on alot of people, to be law breakers, because I can assure you, alot of people will handle the problem, which is not what we want......

Regardless of deer or wolves, I want managment by real science, not political science

19-Dec-14
This is just terrible news. Back to SSS for many.

19-Dec-14
what is SSS ?

19-Dec-14
Shoot, shovel and shut up … said to be the #1 wolf control method if a judge prevents states from managing their own.

Here's a news release from MN:

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources header DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Dec. 19, 2014

Ruling classifies Minnesota wolves as threatened

Effective immediately, Minnesotans can no longer legally kill a wolf except in the defense of human life.

A federal judge’s decision to immediately reinstate Endangered Species Act protections for gray wolves in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan place the animals under protection of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Wolves now revert to the federal protection status they had prior to being removed from the endangered species list in the Great Lakes region in January 2012. That means wolves now are federally classified as threatened in Minnesota and endangered elsewhere in the Great Lakes region.

Only agents of the government are authorized to take wolves if depredation occurs.

-30-

19-Dec-14
Gut shots! let them run off and die

19-Dec-14
"Gut shots! let them run off and die"

I'm no wolf lover but what a stupid thing to say. Good job representing hunters....

19-Dec-14
Gut shots! let them run off and die"

Really nice! I don't care for the wolves but the individual wolf deserves better than being intentioanly gut shot as does any animal. I won't even use a glue board on a mouse because it's a terrible way to die.

19-Dec-14
I was looking forward to getting a tag, and then trapping one. I had found alot of sign this year. They are an animal to be admired, cunning and smart.

However they need tight controls. I would have loved to trapped one. Maybe in the future it will come...

Once again we manage by political science

19-Dec-14
Wisconsin DNR response:

In response to a lawsuit brought against the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia has vacated a 2012 decision, which delisted wolves as an endangered species.

This decision returns wolves in the Great Lakes Region, including Wisconsin, to the Federal Endangered Species List.

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources and Department of Justice legal staff are reviewing the decision to determine how it will impact Wisconsin’s wolf management program. Further information will be available following this review.

Immediate implications of this ruling include the following:

* Permits which allow lethal removal of wolves issued to landowners experiencing wolf conflicts are no longer valid. The department will contact permit holders to alert them.

* The department is not authorized to use lethal control as part of its conflict management program. Non-lethal tools and depredation compensation remain available. Those experiencing conflicts with wolves should contact the United States Department of Agriculture – Wildlife Service for conflict investigation and management assistance. USDA Wildlife Services can be reached at 800-228-1368 in northern Wisconsin or 800-433-0663 in southern Wisconsin.

* Wisconsin’s law allowing landowners or occupants of the land to shoot wolves that are in the act of depredating domestic animals on private property is no longer in force. Landowners may not kill wolves in the act of attacking domestic animals.

* Under Federal Law, you cannot use dogs to track and train on wolves.

* Wisconsin is not authorized to implement a wolf harvest season.

While the department is disappointed by this decision, we will continue to support USFWS and their original decision to delist and remain confident in the State of Wisconsin’s ability to manage our wolf population.

19-Dec-14
Time to start a " take your ankle biting bijon, maltypoo, lasashitzoo for long deep woods walks with a streetsweeper" movement. This is bs. No worries ,hillary will make this right in 2 years.

19-Dec-14
I keep hearing about Obama. Not defending the current administration, but it was the Obama administration that removed the wolf from the ESA. This is about a federal judge, not which party is in control. Hopefully it'll be overturned, but a lot of wasted $ in the meantime. Can't understand how this withstood past challenges but now doesn't. What happens, HSUS just shop around for the right judge?

19-Dec-14
It pains me to finally agree with rc. I need shock therapy now. :)

19-Dec-14
RC, you beat me to it. There is a direct correlation between this issue and Obama. Too bad others are not able to see that.

In any event, I hope the department continues with their wolf program as this will most likely be overturned in appeal.

Naz, I think you are correct in that they shopped around to find the right judge. That has happened in this state with other matters in the recent past. Definitely not a new tactic of the left but certainly one they use pretty effectively.

19-Dec-14
It was HSUS that shopped around. If it's Obama's fault, they wouldn't have allowed wolves to be delisted in the first place. Besides, the liberal judge that made this decision also worked under the honorable George W. Bush on the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary and under both Bush and Obama on the U.S. Sentencing Commission.

June 7, 2013 NY Times

By FELICITY BARRINGER

Gray wolves, whose packs now prowl through the northern Rockies and the forests along the Great Lakes, no longer need endangered-species protection to prevent their extinction, the Obama administration said Friday.

The Fish and Wildlife Service unveiled a proposal to eliminate the remaining restrictions across the country, saying wolves are flourishing again. The only populations to have protection, under the proposal, would be Mexican wolves in southern Arizona and New Mexico and a small experimental population in North Carolina.

The announcement by Daniel M. Ashe, the director of the Fish and Wildlife Service, marked the imminent end of 50 years of controversial efforts to bring back a predator that once roamed the continent but had been all but exterminated in the United States by the mid-20th century.

“Wolves are recovered and they are now in good hands,” Mr. Ashe told reporters on a conference call. “States are the most competent people to make the decisions in the future about how many wolves” there should be and “where wolves can add value to the landscape in the years ahead,” he said.

States like California, Colorado and Utah have few, if any, packs now. It is unclear, if the proposal is made final, whether migrating wolves from the Rockies could flourish there.

Environmental groups were quick to criticize the decision, saying that it reflected a parsimonious view of the Endangered Species Act and would hinder the further expansion of the wolves’ current range. Protections have already been lifted for the largest populations of wolves in the Midwest and northern Rockies.

Kieran Suckling, the president of the Arizona-based Center for Biological Diversity, said, “What this is really about is the agency saying: We’re closing the door on the recovery of wolves, new wolf populations in new areas. We’re going to be satisfied with a northern Rockies population, a Great Lakes population and a Southwest population.”

The protections available for wolf populations in the northern Midwest have been largely uncontroversial, as was the removal of these populations from the endangered species list in 2011. But in Montana and Idaho, where wolves were reintroduced a generation ago, they were a magnet for bitter controversy, pitting ranchers and hunters against groups dedicated to helping transplanted populations thrive.

Gray wolves in Wyoming had some protections until last year.

The most obvious result of the loss of protections was state-authorized wolf hunts. Because some of the wolves hunted and killed were favorites of tourists in Yellowstone National Park or collared animals being tracked by wildlife biologists, the news of their deaths left raw emotions among conservation advocates.

Friday’s announcement of the proposal to leave management of wolves to state wildlife officials was expected; a version of the proposal had been reported by The Los Angeles Times. But that did not make it any more palatable to environmental groups.

“This proposal is really an unfortunate low bar for endangered-species recovery in the United States,” said Jamie Rappaport Clark, the president of Defenders of Wildlife. “I’m not saying we have to restore them to their whole historic range, but this cuts off wolf recovery in the middle of the movie.”

“We didn’t do this with bald eagles,” she added. “Grizzlies and wolves, the top predators, need the cover of the law. The social tolerance for predators in the West is very low. There is concern that states will follow the race to the bottom. We’re talking about a predator that people are very emotional about to begin with.”

Mr. Ashe, in his news conference, said, “The recovery of the gray wolf is one of the most remarkable successes in the history of conservation.”

He stoutly defended the state agencies, saying: “We need to be dependent on the states to carry out wildlife management on a broad scale. And states are very competent to do that.”

19-Dec-14
Bush did NOT appoint her to this position. And, I have never claimed Bush was the do-all end-all.

19-Dec-14
Naz, did you vote for Obama? You certainly seem to like to stick up for him. Why can't the state just disregard this and choose to mange wolves as it sees fit?

19-Dec-14
Lets see post 911 war budget, scrips for medicare, and aids meds for africa was the money spent. Obummer will increase the deficit more then the prior potus combined for 230 years.

19-Dec-14
Rut, no I did not. Am not sticking up for him. Am pointing out facts. This judge worked in Washington long before Obama came along. Wolves were delisted under Obama. If that happened under Bush, some here that bleed one party would surely let us know. All I'm saying is it's a judge's ruling, not a president's. Hopefully this will be challenged by USFWS. I've read a lot of the 111 pages and a lot of wishy washy stuff. Can't believe one judge can do this. Should be a committee decision, majority rules.

20-Dec-14
Obummer appointed her. Majority does rule, dipshits voted him in twice. His legacy will be a dumpster fire of a trampled constitution and geopolitical chaos.

20-Dec-14
And so our northern deer herd.... which hunters have pretty much wiped out .. Will now have uncontrolled predators wipe out any recovery efforts... Hmm?? So now what??.. manage the herd the same regardless??? Yep..just.. give everyone their 2 tags so they can kill 2 bucks every year and then allow them to dump bait to train the wolves where to find the deer they dont tag... great management plan !!!! It's been workin Ggggggreeeeat!

Do we have some great years of deer hunting coming in the decimated 19.. where can I buy some more land with crappy deer hunting??? LOL

Boycott anyone??? 24K this year .. let's make it 50 or 75K next year.. only one way to send a message to idiot deer managers... hit them in the wallet.

20-Dec-14
It is very clear, the HSUS wants hunting to end. News flash...humans are predators. Wolves can hunt (using cruel methods by the way) but humans cannot...sure thing HSUS...NOT!

20-Dec-14
I would like to find out if she has any correlation to any of the anti hunting orgs. If she is sympathetic towards there desires, this decision should be thrown out. Judges are supposed to be non-bias. There personal beliefs are not supposed to sway a decision. The whole wolf thing is one of the ways the antis feel they can end hunting. If there is animal control without the human predators being involved, they feel they win. SSS, you never know if a wolf will attack you or your family if seen. You can self defend.

20-Dec-14

Naz 's Link
If you check some of the wolf hunt support and anti-hunt sites on Facebook and other social media, they are both encouraging each other to take screen shots of any written threats and report them. The antis want to see the rage … and use it against hunters and trappers and anyone else for sensible wildlife management.

This is my column for today's Door County Advocate, which also runs online. It's not listed here as opinion, but that's what columns can be. This is a mix of mostly facts and a little opinion. I'm sure I'll hear from the wolf experts, past and present, that question the "2-4x" comment. But those are the numbers almost every person who lives, hunts or traps in wolf country say when I ask how many wolves they believe are in the state.

How about you? What's your prediction for the number of wolves the pro-wolf counters will come up with this year, vs. what you believe is actually out there?

I'll say 550-600 is what they'll come up with on estimate.

20-Dec-14
Hunter R and Zinger-so you are saying shoot and shovel is better? Ok then, I guess a sin is not a sin?

3.9 Billion dollars to the Wisconsin economy says a representative 150 wolves is more than enough. If the Feds. are unwilling to show common sense, then each state has to flip the bird to the Feds. and take matters into their own hands.

There has to be a good old fashion march on Madison on this. Time is ripe for the pumpkins, farmers and camo clad to come out of the woods and rattle the cage of government leaders. We sit back and just take it, we have nothing to bitch about.

We should take a page from the Black community, you don't like how your thugs, murders, drug dealers, and common criminals are being treated by the police, march and protest. We can be more effective, we won't burn and run down the street with TV sets under our arms. What impact would 900,000 RV's, ATV, UTV, pickup trucks, Vans, Old station wagons, Tractors have on the state capital? One thing for sure it would be funny as hell.

20-Dec-14
I had a wolf tag last year and attended one of the 4 wolf trapping seminars put on by the state. There was some discussion about our wolf population, DNR wolf ecologist that attended kept referring to wolf count but we pressed for a population estimate. A USDA trapper who was instructing finally said its his belief that the population is at least 4X any count. He even said more like 4000 in the state.

DNR ecologist didn't like his response, but did say after a few years of harvest possibly they would estimate a population.

But then again if its not a high number who would believe it. Hope this is a short term setback and not more years of fighting to get a harvest season running again.

20-Dec-14
ELK-The Wisconsin DNR, by their own numbers, admitted to misestimating the wolf population around Pelican Lake by 300%. So, I would say the trapper is likely spot on in his assessment.

20-Dec-14
I'm hoping and would think Gov. Walker takes full advantage of this. There are some big supporters that have there eye on this. He has tried and succeeded on some past issues that Obummer has tried to jamb down the States throat.

20-Dec-14
lack the mental horse power to be educated - That says it all to me and sooo true.

We have been in a slow degradation of morals and education for years. "The dumb down effect". Make it easier for all so things are fair or I will get a lawyer.

Going to call Wisconsin a wolf food plot!

20-Dec-14
If I was Govenor Walker I would have a meeting with Cathy Stepp, and the DNR Wolf Management Team..... I would tell them "lets get real" both with the population estimate, and whats really out there.

The Wolf team the DNR has is out of touch, out of control, and could care less what we think, they just love them wolves.......

AW does make a point on you guys who are pro baiters. One thing I learned, in the short time I have been up north full time, is those baits, are nothing but feed stations for those wolves. They eat off of them, and the deer that come into them...

Now we have to spend more money going back into the courts. I knew when they brought them in, it was a mistake................

I know the elk herd will never be huntable in this state with the predation that is allowed. I am sure those involved did alot of hard work, trying to bring them back, its a darn shame.......

I may be wrong but I think they are also back on the list in Wyoming, but I am not sure

20-Dec-14
Gov. Walker and the St. Legislature can overturn the Fed. law like Colorado with the Pot Law by using state rights. Do you really think the Feds have the resources in forcing their law, they do not even enforce the illegal immigration laws that are on the books. We are a 'cheery pick' nation of laws, let the people vote what they want and don't want and abide to them. The Federal judges are not there to legislate laws to their own political bias. Just round up the wolves and place them in the burbs and high density population private areas, put a few packs in Buffalo Co. and their will be a change, share the state resources and see the change.

20-Dec-14
400 to 500 and add a 0 to either number for reality

20-Dec-14
If Walker and the Legislature can overturn the Fed law, this is the time to man up. They enacted xbows on us even after they were voted down perpetually. This is the time to make up for that mistake. I want to see Walker in the White House. He's made some big decisions in the past. Here's his chance to show the sportsmen he really gets it.

20-Dec-14
Happy I appreciate your enthusiasm but, Walker will never even get a sniff of the White House. If he was headed there he would have committed already, he has something in his closet.

20-Dec-14
There is nothing in his closet. If there was anything to find the out of control dems with their never ending john doe investigations would have found it years ago.

Ive met Governor Walker several times and he is a genuinely nice person who cares about Wisconsin.

20-Dec-14
jjs - you give me hope. It might be nothing but I am writing letters this week, to the Govenor and all the Congresmen, Senators, and local legislatures......

Can you imagine wolves coming in heavy to Buffalo County, I would bet you, the problem would be addressed quick......... Big time money and buisness there...........

20-Dec-14
I may be wrong but a while ago didn`t WY`s governor (when they were trying to get managing control of the wolves from the Feds.)tell his State employee`s (game wardens) to so to speak look the other way when a wolf was killed illegally and they were sent to investigate. Most game wardens I feel realize there is a very real problem with the wolf carrying capacity/reported population/harvest quotas/etc. But can`t say or do anything about the mangement of the wolves, for fear of being reprimanded or losing there job. I`d like to see Gov. Walker tell his state wardens to so to speak look the other way when the public who live here and see what is going on try to self manage this problem we have. The Federal gov. has no idea what is going on in our back yards and should in no way tell the State or us how to manage our problem.

20-Dec-14
While I agree with state management, "let's get tough with the feds" will only go so far, and could actually result in even less respect from future judges. That's why, I think, the WDNR moved so slowly with quotas in recent years, even backing off some this year. That's opposite what HSUS and Defenders of Wildlife would want judges (and their donors) to know. Rod Coronado, that misinformed activist who came up north to protest the opening of the season this year, is offering $1,500 for info that leads to arrest of illegal wolf kills in Michigan, and likely will do the same here. In reality IMO all he's doing is using wolf lovers to make a living (his page of course has a donation link).

Keep in mind it was USFWS/this administration that delisted wolves. It was a judge, not the feds, who overturned. Now we need to hold DNR/USFWS feet to the fire and get them to stick to their guns that state management is indeed what's best for the wolves and find another judge to hear the appeal. The feds spent a decade "getting this right" so it could withstand suits from HSUS, yet here we are.

Agree with razor telling them to get real with the population estimates, but part of that could be not enough interest "on our part" to get those for managing wolves out in the field to take part in the count. There's absolutely no way the wolf loving crowd can accurately estimate hundreds of thousands of square miles of wolf habitat. If I were DNR wildlife staff, I'd go to bat for deer hunters and others up north right now, big time. If there is a way of doubling manpower this winter for the count, I'm all for it. Find every possible wolf track and wolf, and don't automatically just subtract wolves killed this season for a new total. If they doubled the effort, I'd bet they'd find double the wolves. Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for the antis?

Meanwhile, hunters and trappers could do the herd a favor by shooting coyotes …. legal year-round.

20-Dec-14
Kevin, in politics never say never!

Dam straight NAZ, Coronado has an ulterior motive.

Here is the problem with the DNR. Most of them come through Stevens Point University at one time or another. My Nephew went there to study whitetail ecology and management, they so changed his view of wildlife management, pushed him so far left, that they radicalized him as they do many of the students. Stevens Point is far from a center focussed University. He is a smart kid, and could have done a lot of good here in Wisconsin for Sportsmen but, they changed him. He views the Wisconsin DNR as too far right, and just about every kid that came through the program with him was pushed in that same direction. He worked as a student on the wolf program, and they made him as far left as they could with his view on wolves. That is a serious problem for this state, WDNR and hunters. Our own educational institution has a hidden agenda against what hunters want in this state. Until that changes, you will not see a major shift in policy.

20-Dec-14
"Our own educational institution has a hidden agenda..." Yes sir, that could be said for a variety of different issues.

20-Dec-14
We had a chance to put a serious dent in the wolf population knowing a scenario like this was going to come along again. Instead, the WDNR caved on the quota and played it safe. How'd that work for ya WDNR? We needed to stack 'em and whack 'em while we had the chance.

Our DNR can't count a thing right in this state. They highball the deer herd and lowball the wolves and bears. Luckily the WBHA took matters into their own hands on the bear population process and got the study that was needed. The DNR's estimate was only off like 200%.

We'll see now if anyone with power has a sack in this state. I don't see the Governor doing it because there are more pro-wolf people than hunters and he still wants his votes. I see him steering wide of this topic as any politician would do.

20-Dec-14
I don't think many pro wolf people vote for Walker.

Now that them Republicans rule the roost in Madison, we will see how many get off their a...., and attempt to do something.......

Cathy Stepp needs to make a statement, and needs to address the needs for the northern deer herd, and what direction she intends to take our DNR.....

I hope its a postive direction, ,,,,,,,,

They are already loseing the northern deer hunter, and things do not look bright for the future, as far as the concern by the state, I just do not see it....

20-Dec-14
Didn't this open up the possibility for a lawsuit? I assume each of these states opened wolf hunting up to a lottery with points earned and bought for the chance to receive a permit and hunt/trap a wolf. The states received their money and the applicants now are left holding the bag. Any money involved needs to be returned to hunters, plus each state should be able to recover all administrative costs. it has to be a substantial amount!

Or, am I completely full of crap on that?

20-Dec-14
MB750's are very expensive. For you guys that trapped this year, about how much of an investment did you make in the quest to wolf trap?

20-Dec-14
I'd agree going after HSUS, but the DNR? They don't want wolves on the ESA. I've always said that if a group sues in court and loses, they should hold the bag for ALL legal fees and staff time involved, including DNR, USFWS time, etc. That would certainly prevent a lot of the frivolous stuff; and if and when things are overturned, you go after HSUS and other antis with both barrels.

20-Dec-14
Just in equipment and scents/lures I spent well over $300.00 couldn't tell you how much gas and miles on the truck scouting and checking traps every day.

20-Dec-14
Tort reform will never happen naz liberal trial attorneys own dc

20-Dec-14
4000 is closer than 800

21-Dec-14
I have a trail cam picture with 9 wolves taken this fall. With only 400 wolves statewide I felt pretty lucky...

21-Dec-14
Maybe this decision is good in a way. Think about it, the state issued 10 tags for every wolf in the quota. If you put that many hunters and trappers out targeting one species the quota is going to fill fast. With past seasons filling fast everyone serious about getting a wolf knew this year was going to be a drag race against the quotas filling up.

What does this all prove?

- there are more wolfs than the state thinks

- there were way too many tags issued

- hunters and trappers are serious about getting after the wolfs

- the anti's were not able to do much to prevent the quota from being met

- the state is afraid of the power of the anti's as proven by closing zone 3 with 10 wolfs left in the quota.

- the quota by zone means nothing if the state closes some zones too soon before the zone's quota is met. Also when tags can be used in any zone why even have zones? This is certainly a lot of the reason why zones 1 and 2 closed so fast. Hunters/trappers from all over the state focused there early.

Rather than providing a quality hunt the state seems to be focused on the revenue that selling 1500 wolf licenses brings in. $49 for residents and $251 for non-residents.

Plus the $10 application fee from tens of thousands of applicants. In 2012 the state had 7150 resident and 136 non-resident applications processed in the first 6 days.

All this interest by hunters and trappers to get a wolf, the drag race and quick filling of quotas has the anti's worried that their sacred pet wolfs get might all get killed off.

First the state should quit setting the quota as a state total. Set zone quotas based on the population in the zone and socially acceptance goals.

So, if the state would issue far fewer total tags and issue them by zone it would level off the kill over the season. Zones like 3 that take have proven to take a while to fill should have more tags issued per wolf quota. Zones like 1 and 2 there should be less tags per wolf in the quota. This will help the state close the season for a particular zone at a more appropriate time without being much over or under the quota for that zone. This might even allow giving hunters more time to hunt after closure notice is posted.

The state has sent me a survey form to fill out. Maybe they did this every year or maybe they are now at least trying to make it look like they care about managing toward a quality hunt.

So why did I say: "Maybe this decision is good in a way". Well, because it just might force the state to think about providing a slower and consequently more quality hunt for those that are lucky enough to get a tag in the future.

As for this court ruling. It is bull, cherry pick a judge and you probably going to get what you asked for.

21-Dec-14
Good post Jeff. asked for, or paid for? Not that judges and politicians ever do anything for $, but it's a thought.

21-Dec-14
Jeff, all great ideas which are now meaningless unless walker steps up and defys the feds. He has potus dreams. Ya think he will touch this? Besides, the feds would probably withhold puttman-roberts fund dispersal if the hunt continues. This will have to play out in the courts.

21-Dec-14
I am resigned to the fact that this problem will not go away, and I will have to live with it, period.

I am glad I am in NE Wis and UP, wolves there but not like northwest Wis.....

As I am bored here in rehab, I am going over maps in Nebraska and South Dakota. Going out west for 2 weeks, to chase deer on the praire.......

21-Dec-14
Good post and points Jeff. I also got the same survey.

21-Dec-14
If Paul Ryan decides to run (if Romney doesn't, Ryan will), Gov. Walker would do well to jump aboard as a VP candidate if asked (his best chance for a shot at the White House, IMO). Handicappers are already calling for Jeb Bush vs. Hilary in 2016. Ryan/Walker would be an interesting ticket.

21-Dec-14
SSS or intentionally gut shooting wolves?? 10 - both are sins. Intentionally gut shooting is just stupid.

21-Dec-14
"Ryan/Walker would be an interesting ticket"

Ryan couldn't carry wisconsin as a vp last time. When has 2 guys on a potus ticket ever came from 1 state let alone a fly over state?

22-Dec-14
Oh, I am optimistic that this ruling will get reversed again and wolf hunts will happen again. In fact I think we can count on the wolf status bouncing from endangered to threatened and back and forth for many years.

I am probably giving the state too much credit to ever do this hunt the right way.

The state really did rip us off by selling too many licenses. The 5 days I was able to trap cost me about $1600. Fuel going to the trapping class, scouting, and trapping about $200, license $250, purchasing 12 traps, fitting them with swivels, stakes, drags, fuel to boil them, dye them, scents and lures and other trapping supplies about $1200. (all of which I may never get to use or be able to sell) I shouldn't have needed 12 traps but knowing the season would not last long in zone 1 I wanted to do everything I could to succeed in harvesting a wolf.

One more point, the state says that overall the wolf quota was exceeded but that is NOT true. If you count the tribal allocation that was not used we were likely under quota.

22-Dec-14
Good quote by David Mech in the Mpls Star Trib on the subject:

"David Mech, a wolf expert for the US Geological Survey, said he is perplexed by Friday's court ruling because it runs against ample scientific evidence that wolves are not endangered in MI, MN and WI.

"It sure is going to surprise a lot of people, especially wolf biologists," said Mech, who has studied wolves for 56 years and provided testimony the last time wolves in the region were removed from the ESA protections.

Mech said halting the wolf hunt shouldn't have much effect on other animals in MN, such as deer and moose, because the wolf harvest has not been drastic. Far move wolves are born each year than were being killed by hunters, Mech said."

MNs hunt killed 272 wolves of 2423 estimated.

22-Dec-14
Naz - I sent you a PM related to the ruling document.

I see 2 arguments in the paper that Howell mentioned:

"Howell called the hunts in the Great Lakes region "virtually unregulated" and said that wolves do not yet inhabit all of their historic range and therefore need protections."

It should be easy to overturn the 'unregulated' argument. Just ask the hunters who had to apply for a lottery and then the 90% who were unsuccessful. Along with the biologists that study them the rest of the year to monitor the packs and the effects of the hunt on the existing population.

The second argument can be applied to states that don't have wolves, but those that have them in numbers above the automatic minimum federal control should have the ability to regulate them. I don't know what % WI and MI had killed, but MN has kept the kill ~10% of the population.

22-Dec-14
Sometimes you have to lose in the short-term to ultimately win in the long-term. The sooner the wolves make their way to Dane County and start snacking on "fluffy" and "Bingo" the better.

On another note....what about the coyote epidemic throughout the state? I agree 100% we need to manage the wolves, but let's not forget about the mangy mutts that are also puttin' a beating on the deer.

22-Dec-14

Naz 's Link
True Zonks, and we've beat that to death here for years (coyotes) with little to show for it. I've heard the only way to truly make a difference is to have a concerted trapping effort. We have groups on the K/D Peninsula that drop 10-40 or more coyotes a year, but apparently that's a drop in the bucket. With many in the public sympathetic to the plight of the northern herd right now, maybe it's time to see if there's support for a bounty system. Perhaps Whitetails Unlimited chapters and other deer groups might ante up?

November, as for Ryan, it wasn't he running … it was Romney. Lost 1.6-1.4 million in WI. Don't want to make excuses, but right or wrong, I don't think enough Wisconsinites wanted a president who was Mormon. Forgive the pun, but Catholics were the least forgiving group nationwide, with polls finding 50 percent of Catholics voting Obama to 48 percent Romney.

Ryan is a Catholic; Walker attends nondenominational evangelical church. Big difference vs. Romney, and likely would fare well with many church-goers here. But, I don't know if Ryan would even be interested. Probably would make more sense to grab someone with a college degree who folks here know less about. If not asked to join Ryan or another leading candidate for president, I'm betting Walker will stick to the governor post. It's not a bad gig, esp. when you can be a big dog in a small state and travel all over the country at taxpayer's expense (like all governors do; I'm not picking on him).

22-Dec-14
This totally sucks... but ironically it just occurred to me that maybe the WI DNR is not who should be managing the wolf population since after all it was the DNR who "managed" the state's number one game animal (deer) to near extinction in the northern part of the state...

22-Dec-14

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
One spot that we deer hunt west of Minong had more yote track than deer track this year. I wanted to set wolf traps there but after seeing the yote track I figured there was no use since yote do not typically exist in areas that wolfs dominate. We even had a dead doe on the property that appeared to be taken down by yote.

One way to help reduce the yote population (at least a little) might be to make hunting and trapping them more affordable to non residents. I would hunt that pack if it wasn't going to cost me $150 for a furbearers license, or trap them if the state would even allow me to get a trapping license. But even then I probably wouldn't pay the $150 for a trapping license. The state should allow non residents to buy a coyote only license (good to hunt and trap them) for the price of a residents general small game or trapping license. $20

The pic is from the property where that dead doe was, the yote in the background is sniffing a scrape.

Back to wolfs, I doubt the 150 that is being harvested in Wisconsin is even a quarter of the pups being borne every year.

If there are areas that need wolfs and other areas where there are too many then there should be a huge effort to relocate a bunch of them. We really need wolf packs across more territory (Dane county comes to mind) to get more landowners and farmers mad and consequently putting pressure on the dnr, fws, courts and media to keep these wolf lovers on the defensive instead of the offensive.

22-Dec-14
What the bleeding heart idiots don't realize is these wolves are still going to be killed...the only difference is the states won't get any revenue off it. And before anybody jumps down my throat thinking I'm advocating for poaching, I'm not, but there is a large populous that will take matters into their own hands regardless of what the wolf lovers think. I've lived in wolf country long enough to know sometimes people do what they gotta do, legalities be darned..

22-Dec-14
Agreed jeff $160 for a furbearers is stupid. Front bumpers in the more populated counties will take many out ad well.

22-Dec-14
Draw a line across the middle part of the state. North of Marathon County say good bye to your deer.

22-Dec-14
"Draw a line across the middle part of the state. North of Marathon County say good bye to your deer."

I'm not pro-wolf. But I also know that there are far more wolves in Canada and northern MN, and they haven't said goodbye to their deer. Saw plenty of whitetails in both places decades ago, and on two occasions heard wolves howl (sounded very close to my stand, definitely within a quarter-mile and possibly less).

Agree with South Farm, always has been and always will be locals that take out some critters. BUT, IMO, they won't get as many as a regulated season would unless they're trapping. The occasional wolf poached by someone "lucky" enough to see one is just one less wolf. The past three years, more than 500 were taken legally (in addition to those taken in depredation situations, poached, roadkills, etc.). You may see a spike in poisonings, but it appears the last guys who tried that killed far more other non-target wildlife and got big fines to boot.

22-Dec-14
I know this is not going to make me popular, but baiting in the north, is a sure way, to keep them wolves, in good shape......

They eat on the baits and feed off of the baits.........

I know hunting the north is tough, I still love it.....

However this year, besides going west, I am also going down into Richland County

22-Dec-14
I know it's popular belief that wolves and coyotes don't inhabit the same areas but I find that not to be true in Northern Bayfield County. In some of the areas I hunt I've seen ample sign of both and have heard Wolves howling and coyotes yipping and howling in the same areas. Not at the same time, but in the same areas on different days.

22-Dec-14
Cheesehead, maybe I missed out on an opportunity by not setting some traps there.

Naz, Good deer population in northern Minnesota? Not according to some friends of mine that hunt near Big Fork. (as I did years ago until the wolf destroyed hunting there) Anyway six of them still hunt there and this year they saw 1 deer total during the first week of gun season. Wolfs have been BAD there for a long time. Seen more wolf there years ago while hunting and baiting for bear than anyone would believe. If we had used game cameras on the baits back then we would have had lots of pictures.

22-Dec-14
Jeff, I didn't say good hunting, but rather that they haven't said "goodbye" to their deer, that's all. And, that was back in the day when no wolf hunting was allowed in MN. There were a lot of wolves and a lot of deer.

As you know, though one year is not a trend and one area is not the entire north. I hear you, but the most severe winter on record in northern WI (on the heels of one of the "latest springs" in decades) certainly took its toll in all northern deer range (and I'd imagine it was the same in MN). Preliminary info shows that Michigan's U.P. deer harvest, regardless of whether it was a county with the most wolves or the fewest, dropped significantly this season.

22-Dec-14
The severe winters sure took there toll,now I don't know if there are enough deer to recover? Say there was 25 deer per sq,mile and predators took 5 and hunters take 5 that is not so bad but now when there is less than 10 per sq. mile and predators still take 5 then its bad real bad

22-Dec-14
Mike is right about yotes and wolves living in the same areas. I see it all the time up near a buddies cabin near Port Wing. But I really used to see it a lot out west. I haven't been west of Nebraska in 5 years so I can't personally say if it's still prevalent there.

22-Dec-14
Camp, I'm not discounting your experience at all. That said, I also know have friends who hunt northern Wisconsin and U.P., who have seen the highs and lows of deer with wolves on the landscape — and it's not a constant downward movement. One who has hunted the U.P. for decades in an area with plenty of wolves still sees and shoots deer every year, and even believes daytime sightings have improved (possibly due to nervous deer that don't sit in one place for long?). What I'm trying to say is, listening to some folks (not you), wolves have eaten all the deer up north. Yet for as long as I've heard that (more than a decade now), hunters have killed far more, year after year. Yes, it's pretty bad right now in some areas after a really late spring in '13 and the worst WSI ever recorded in winter of '13-'14. Wolves don't know public/private boundaries, so why is it there are far more deer seen on managed private parcels in wolf country than on public that is far more mature (and no food plots)? If wolves were truly the cause of the decimation on the public, certainly they should be doing the same on the private.

22-Dec-14
Camp, they also have wolves — far more than we do! In fact, Ontario's estimate alone is close to the total estimated wolf population in the entire United States. Canada has an estimated 50-60K wolves, with Ontario's estimate ranging from 9-10K.

"If harsh winters were the reason for fewer deer Canada should not have any."

If that's fair, then so is this: If wolves were the reason for fewer deer, Canada should not have any.

22-Dec-14
Even if Ontario has 10,000 wolfs that is only 1 wolf for every 41 square miles. OK, so if you go by the DNR numbers Wisconsin is one per 145 square miles. But who believes that, for sure not in the north.

23-Dec-14
I deer hunted a few years up by Nestor Falls Ontario around 2005-2007. They have deer and wolves but the wolves aren't protected and can be shot with a small game license. If I remember correctly it would have cost us about $20 for wolf tag but something like $200 for an export tag. The way I understand it, the locals shoot every wolf they see. I occasionally heard wolves howling up there but I didn't see anywhere near the amount of wolf sign I see in Bayfield County.

I/we stopped hunting there because the deer population crashed. I don't know if it was because of severe winters or due to wolves.

The simple fact that Ontario has so many wolves and still had a good sized deer herd makes me optimistic that the northern WI deer herd can rebound, however we need to stop shooting does and we need some mild winters. Where we hunted in Ontario, the antlerless harvest was restricted and Non-Residents weren't allowed to shoot antlerless deer.

23-Dec-14
Only a limited few could take does this year up here and likely the same next year. Can't do anything about the weather but hope. So far it is looking good though. Lets hope the weather continues as it has been this year so far and early or normal spring.

23-Dec-14
" They have deer and wolves but the wolves aren't protected and can be shot with a small game license."

At least there's intelligent life on Earth in a few places yet.

23-Dec-14
"At least there's intelligent life on Earth in a few places yet."

GOOD ONE!

23-Dec-14
How long before an appeal can be heard?

23-Dec-14
Northwest Ontario, Vermillion Bay been going for 30 years. Deer heard down wolf population is out of control. See more wolves than bear, and deer for sure. Hurting moose population also.

23-Dec-14
So if it stays this way long enough to not have a season in 2015. Does that mean the Indians won't kill their "ceremonial" elk?

23-Dec-14
10, I'd guess fed and state legal teams are studying the ruling and looking for weak spots for an appeal. Some pretty good ammo, IMO, when federal wolf expert and head of the International Wolf Center in Ely says Howell’s ruling runs against scientific evidence that wolves are not endangered in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan.

24-Dec-14
Like I said before , Walker will be all over this. Not to worry, this is a no brainer. Wisconsin was the only state out of the three To come out say they are disappointed in the judgment. Michigan and Minnesota are followers, not leaders.

We will have a season in 15'

24-Dec-14
Tag, not true, here's what Michigan DNR Wildlife Division Chief Russ Mason said:

"The federal court decision is surprising and disappointing. Wolves in Michigan have exceeded recovery goals for 15 years and have no business being on the endangered species list, which is designed to help fragile populations recover - not to halt the use of effective wildlife management techniques."

MN officials have been quoted in news stories, too, and federal wolf expert David Mech from the International Wolf Center in Ely said hunting and trapping did not threaten wolves in WI, MN or MI.

A season in '15 is not likely unless the states can get Congress to act, IMO. These things tend to drag on forever in court. Wayne Pacelle of HSUS is bragging that USFWS is now "0-for-4" trying to get wolves permanently delisted.

24-Dec-14
Thank you Naz for the ruling. I have read it (and re-read it). It confirms my disdain for lawyer-speak.

I am not a lawyer and am still trying to work through the language of the ruling. I will write with what I have found in there but there are no guarantees that it is correct (because the language is so obtuse).

I will write more about the main part of the ruling when I can figure out what the hell they are talking about, but I found out what the judge meant by 'Howell called the hunts in the Great Lakes region "virtually unregulated"'

For the 2012 ruling, I believe the FWS said the Western Great Lakes wolf range consisted of all or part of 9 states (MN, WI, MI, ND, SD, IA, IL, IN, OH) and that population was genetically distinct from the Northern Rocky Mountain region. Most of the ruling is arguing whether creating this grouping is allowed in the ESA and whether you need another waiting period when you create this new grouping.

The 'virtually unregulated' statement is related to the states that are part of the Western Great Lakes wolf population. Four of the states have management plans for wolves - the 3 states that have wolves and IL. Five of the states don't have a management plan - most likely because they don't have wolves and don't have suitable habitat to support them. So, the judge ruled that wolves here are "virtually unregulated" because 5 of 9 states don't have a management plan and that is a threat to the survivability of the species.

This argument seems disingenuous at best to me. The states that have 100% of the wolves in the region have plans and the remaining states don't have wolves (nor the long-term ability to support them because of lack of suitable habitat). I am not sure if this was a mistake by the FWS when drafting the 2012 plan.

24-Dec-14
Idaho told the feds where to stick it years ago. Hopefully the midwest states will do the same!

Have really seen the true colors of some folks with this. Hunters that that are complaining about the deer supporting wolves. Don't make sense at all to me.

Still hear from people saying there are no wolves in this area. REALLY??

24-Dec-14
MN DNR spokesman Chris Niskanen: “Many, many wolf experts around the country have said you can harvest wolves without having an impact on their populations."

Amoebus, you're onto something, but I also think the judge keyed in on distinct population segments (DPS) and used it against the USFWS and states. It was something they thought, IMO, that would stand the test, but the judge apparently found that FWS had authority to extend/add protections of DPS, but not remove protections.

According to the judge: "The FWS’s interpretation is unreasonable on two levels. First, the structure, history, and purpose of the ESA do not permit the designation of a DPS for the purpose of delisting the vertebrates that are members of the DPS. Second, the ESA does not allow the designation of a DPS made up of vertebrates already protected under the ESA at a more general taxonomic level."

She also noted that "even if the designation of the DPS were valid, the protections afforded the wolves encompassed by this DPS are controlled by the listing of the entire Canis lupus species and may not be reduced below that level through manipulation of the definition of "species" to treat the DPS’s members as if they were a different, unlisted species when they are not. This principle is inherent in the purpose and structure of the ESA."

The judge said the USFWS' final rule purposely avoided an evaluation of "this endangered species" throughout its historical range, focusing instead "on the viability of a single population of gray wolves in only a part of that range."

24-Dec-14
Not nearly as many as managed seasons. Wolves aren't deer or turkeys that the average person can just go out and see and have a good shot at getting. Many folks living in the north country have never even seen one, or seen or fleeting glimpses while afield, nothing that would have even offered a good shot. That's why trapping has been so effective. Multiple traps, and a lot of the catches coming at night.

24-Dec-14
Naz - yes, the DPS was the 'grouping' that I was talking about. I thought that I would spare bowsite with the acronyms until I had a chance to digest it (for the 3rd time).

It also raises a good point in my mind that you can never underestimate your enemy. The HSUS/etc obviously have some good lawyers working for them. It looks like the FWS needs to bone up on that aspect.

The ruling is also instructive if you just want the recent history of the wolf issue. It has the parts of the ESA related to the subject as well as the pertaining laws/rulings since the '60s.

Logically (in my mind) the argument should come down to "Can your state maintain a viable population of wolves?" The ruling overturns the state control, but doesn't really get to this question - it is more related to technicalities of the 2012 ruling (maybe this is the way that all of these go...)

24-Dec-14
Exactly. States should come up with the minimum number of recovered wolves they believe should be on the landscape to reduce conflicts with livestock and figure what "acceptable levels" of deer, elk and moose take they can live with knowing wolves in the Great Lakes can never offer "wildlife viewing for wolf huggers" opportunities like they do in Yellowstone. Then use David Mech's comments and comments from others who say science shows wolves have recovered here and aren't in danger of becoming endangered. Or, go through Congress and get rules changed to let states manage wolves as they see fit with regulated seasons and harvest quotas designed to get wolf numbers down to management goals.

24-Dec-14
Bottom line the wolves are here to stay...... Even if they go back to a managed hunt, their quotas are so low, that it will have little impact on them.....

Their is a reason HSUS has an office in Madison. they also have some, not alot, but they do have some allies in the WI DNR and the USFWS, I know I have talked to them.......

Walker can not do anything.... This guy is trying to get into another office or position anyway, his handlers are not going to touch this.... Not saying that is wrong, just the way it is.....

I would like to see a statement from Cathy Stepp on the ruling, but will not hold my breath........

I am in the woods alot, have not seen one wolf this year, and that is almost on a daily basis... I do have them on camera though... I have seen only 3 in the wild, they are not easy to hunt.......

What they need is 500 tags and let the trappers and dog hunters get at em, if you want to do something, but that is not going to happen.......

Vilas County must be happy, mostly filled with tree huggers and wolf lovers anyways.......

24-Dec-14
I wonder if the fact that the WDNR consistently lies about and underestimates the wolf population and tries to make it seem as if the wolf population really isn't much of a problem (on deer etc) has any effect on these rulings/decisions or people's attitudes?

That said, it won't much matter when the wolves make it to Madison and start taking out people's pets, the WDNR will blame it on bobcats or a band of rabid chipmunks or something else anyway.

24-Dec-14
Madison is about the only place in the state HSUS could have an office. I'm sure they have followings around the state where there are university's too. Most of the rest of the people in the state are decent, too bad Madison seems to drive the state.

24-Dec-14
Another thing to remember is that while the HSUS has good lawyers they pay them nothing for their work. Under the EAJA the Government pays the bill. In other words your tax dollars pay the antis lawyers fees.

25-Dec-14

Jeff in MN's Link
OK, I had to lookup EAJA. Here is the link.

I thought it only applied to individuals. Not organizations.

26-Dec-14

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
Farmer heard the wolves howling just out side his house last night. This morning found this. Nice mature uninjured doe killed and left. I ask him if he interrupted the wolves causing them to leave and not eat the deer he said when he heard them and just rolled over in bed and went back to sleep. I looked it over this morning it took them about a 100 yards to kill her then stand around a little and trot off into the swamp. Got to love them!

26-Dec-14
What county FIP?

26-Dec-14
Why Naz are you going to come help kill them? :^)

26-Dec-14
Just wondering if it's north, south, central, etc. Odd they didn't eat it. I know I'll get bombarded by some who say they thrill kill all the time, but when they kill a dog and leave little left you have to wonder why they'd kill a deer and not eat the prime venison, esp. since some say there are so few deer left and so many wolves.

26-Dec-14
Naz, you really don't understand wolves do you? Better educate yourself. There are deer laying all over the woods all year long killed by wolves and left to rot. "Odd they didn't eat it"...obviously you don't have many wolves near you. I find them all the time "not eaten".

Its really just common sense if you think about it. Lets take a bird dog or a coyote dog or a bear dog, etc. They chase stuff, and they would kill it if they catch it..its what they do...do any of these dogs, "not run/chase" just after they have eaten? Do they only hunt when they are "hungry"? Of course not. Its the same with wolves....if they are presented with an opportunity they KILL. thats what they do. It doesn't matter if they have just eaten or not, if a deer crosses their path they will play with it, bite it in the ass a couple times until one of them grabs it by the neck and BOOM! if they're not hungry they just celebrate and walk away.

26-Dec-14
Funny how I never find "deer all over the woods killed by wolves and left to rot".

26-Dec-14
My son darted wolves this spring with the mn 25 year head wolf biologist. He has only witnessed 1 thrill kill which was in a blinding blizzard. I believe the scientist over a blogger anyday.

26-Dec-14
November, do you REALLY expect a biologist to go against the science? Everything they and we have ever learned about wolves is that they only kill what they absolutely need. That's a bunch of hokey, as I believe they make kills of opportunity. If they have the opportunity to kill 10 deer, but can only eat 7 they will kill 10.

26-Dec-14
Only the skull and spine are left from a wolf kill. If they killed for pleasure why not just eat the hams? Yes, the bio guy doesnt have an ax to grind. Article in the strib about the recent listing proves that

26-Dec-14
Maybe I got it wrong. Could have been Weasel tracks. I followed the kill back and found that there were 2 Weasels chasing at full speed from behind the deer and a third Weasel came in at about a 70 degree angle and took her down. She was able to get up and go another 40 yards with the Weasels mauling her from behind. Blood and hair everywhere:^)

27-Dec-14
Usually even the skull and spine are eaten too. I have my doubts the photo is of a wolf kill but more likely dogs or even coyote. But there is not enough in the photo to prove any of these predators were the cause.

27-Dec-14
I don't know about wolves but we used to be a game farm,(pheasants and ducks)Mostly for dog training. Well a small male mink killed 56 Rooster pheasants in a flight pen. This was in 3 nights until I trapped Him.It was hard to tell what killed the birds except for a few bite marks on top of head. One of the birds was partially eaten each night. I cleaned all the birds and ate them. Mink and taxes caused us to stop being a game farm.Owls were a bitch 2 as they caused the birds to fly up into the top netting and the Owls would pull there heads off. An Owl would take about 3 a night. I know its not wolves but still a predator that joy kills

27-Dec-14
"I have my doubts the photo is of a wolf kill but more likely dogs or even coyote."

True, I did not take the wolf track class so I am not certified like Smokey. There is a "DNR Documented" pack right at this location but they would not do such a thing. DNR use to stand in this field and do howl counts. We should all listen to Smokey he has the education and background(told us many times)to spot these things from a picture like that. Thanks smokey I will let the farmer know all the wolves he has seen over the years were dogs and yotes.

27-Dec-14
If it wasn't laying close to those buildings it would've been devoured by now.

27-Dec-14
FIP, what an idiot. You truly are an unstable and insecure person. You have an issue with the tracking class? Education? It is obvious you cannot read and understand a simple statement.

Intelligent discussion is more productive but then you do not want anyone else to think but rather just listen.

If you can stop the childish response and have true open minded discussions please stay on this site; if not, then please leave so the rest of us can discuss issues.

27-Dec-14
There is an idiot and his name is Smokey. The north woods extraordinaire:^) Did I dare disagree with Wisconsin Wolf master? Someone is insecure that's for sure. Hey its a great day for Track count get out there and do what you do best.

Three wolves killed that deer. I do not know why they left it but they did. Since your a rank and file type of guy for the DNR would it help you to know a retired warden was with me and he saw the tracks as well. I know I know you were not there so it can't be true. A pack of German Shepherds i am sure. Now when you grow up a bit come on back here and have an intelligent conversation with me.

How did you get the handle Smokey? Find a field on the National forest somewhere?

27-Dec-14
If you were able to read my post since I DOUBT wolf and likely dog or coyote. BUT NOT ENOUGH IN PHOTO...

Make up what you want. I have no problem when someone has a different opinion that me but you are the type that puts his childish spin on things and not able to use any intellect in responding.

My handle? What about you? You can't even post your real name in your profile!

Knowledge is power FIP. And you are very weak.

27-Dec-14
dickhead.... assclown

Ron your homosexual advances are not working.

"Knowledge is power FIP. And you are very weak."

Save us O great one. Smokey Einstein.

27-Dec-14

28-Dec-14
Back to the thread topic. ESA and the Wolf recovery plan needs revision. The wolf experts have said so and I agree.

28-Dec-14
Yes, The revision should be wolves are small game animals just like coyotes and can be taken with a small game license. Smokey, You don't actually think the government is going to fix this do you? This is going to continue to be bogged down in politics and you know it. The whole wolf thing passed the point of stupidity a long time ago. Wasn't the original plan to have about 350? Add a zero now to that total to be closer to accurate.

28-Dec-14
smoker "Funny how I never find "deer all over the woods killed by wolves and left to rot"." ,(SMH)

so does that mean it doesn't happen? I think the main reason you haven't seen it is location. you are in an area with a lower deer population. When they cross paths by you maybe they're hungry. In farm country with more deer their paths cross more frequently so more of a chance for a thrill kill. I don't know where FIPs picture is from (cause he won't say) but my guess is an area with a higher deer pop.

".... since I DOUBT wolf and likely dog or coyote." yeah that must be it because you've never seen evidence of a thrill kill, it must be dogs. they killed the deer and then howled and sounded just like wolves...or those darn thrill kill coyotes...they have learned how to howl with a deeper voice so they sound like wolves (SMH and RME)

Why do you think dogs or coyotes would kill it and leave it but not wolves?

Do you believe the DNR's wis. wolf population estimate?

28-Dec-14
Over the years the deer numbers were much higher than they are now and I never found the woods littered with dead uneaten deer at that time either.

350 was the number stated for recovery which has long since been exceeded. Actual number? I would say closer to DNR estimate since when I read people say things like 3500 I do not see the survey or method used to arrive at that number with the accept for WAG.

Because dogs have a bowl of food back at home that is why the will leave an partially eaten animal. Also, did the farmer really hear wolf howling or coyote howling? More than once people tell me they hear wolf when it is coyote when we were both at the same location. I have had people tell me the see a wolf when it is a coyote while we were looking at the same animal, same for people mistaking bobcats for cougar.

I do doubt the Feds are going to rewrite either ESA or wolf recovery plan. Unless we all get involved and pressure them enough to do so.

28-Dec-14
Sorry Smokey, I dont need the government to appoint some numb-nut to do a study to see if we have to many predators. This is all the more scientific I need to get about it. In the area I hunt, public big woods, I see more predator tracks then deer tracks. Wolf, coyote, bear, bobcat. I could care less about some "scientist" out there trying to determine what percent each predator is eating. Simple solution. Keep shooting until you see more deer tracks than predator tracks. Study complete.

28-Dec-14
Retro+1

28-Dec-14
Imo the overwhelming law abiding sportsmen wont sss 10 % of what a legal hunt quota would harvest. Anyone hunting north of hwy 29 is in for a long turnaround. The 30000 gin hunters who dropped out this year could be just the beginning. Fix the 10,000 antlerless taken in the northern no doe counties as this is 100% in the dnrs control. Ban gun youth party hunting or ban youth doe tags in no doe counties. Full court press on the wolf issue including having walker grow a spine and go idaho on the feds. If states can legalize pot and ignore immigration law, ignoring the feds wolf desires sb a no brainer.

28-Dec-14
Retro, where did I say anything about a study?

28-Dec-14
"I would say closer to DNR estimate since when I read people say things like 3500 I do not see the survey or method used to arrive at that number with the accept for WAG."

I interpret this as you saying you need a survey or some method (study) by the government to determine how bad the problem is.(how high the population is). Im saying we dont need any more surveys, studies, assessments etc... by any employee of any agency. No need to call Dr. Deer either.

28-Dec-14
"Also, did the farmer really hear wolf howling or coyote howling?"

He heard wolves but that really does not matter. I verified the tracks and they were wolves 3 of them. Smokey remarks about doubting the photo was wolves probably dogs or yotes implied I was not capable of determining that. So I fired back at him and you cant do that to Smokey Joe:^)

"I have had people tell me the see a wolf when it is a coyote while we were looking at the same animal"

Did it ever cross your mind they were right and you were wrong? No way not the master! Let me guess the guy next to you was a WI wolf biologist?

28-Dec-14
Oh, I was saying when people (not DNR) say there are higher wolf population like 3500 I do not see the surveys or method they used to arrive 3500 or whatever they think the wolf population is.

28-Dec-14
As far as the number of wolves, all I know is way to many. The plan all along by the tree-huggers was to tie this up in court battles indefinitely. Obviously an effective plan.

28-Dec-14
"I fear we will have to wait for the right party to regain the office of the POTUS and then proper secretaries will be appointed and progress can be made. The libs in power wont do much so its a waiting game. Liberalism is a cancer on this nation. "

Why not Walker? He and the legislature can enact state law and shove it right up the a$$es of the feds. He can make a huge statement here but I doubt he will. I hope he shows sportsmen he means business. That would be a huge makeup call for the DTR debacle. Seems strange to me giving the state powers-of-being a free ride while expecting solutions in WI from the President.

"Full court press on the wolf issue including having walker grow a spine and go idaho on the feds. If states can legalize pot and ignore immigration law, ignoring the feds wolf desires sb a no brainer. "

+1 November

28-Dec-14
Maybe I missed it but has the DNR ever issued a wolf estimate? I see minimum counts according to Pack Tracks as they cross roads.

28-Dec-14
I brlieve the dnr thought there were about 850 wolves but werent they a scosh off on bear estimates a few years back?

28-Dec-14
The WDNR has never been able to estimate anything well. They failed miserably on the deer estimates since the mid 2000s causing them to quit publishing estimates. They also failed miserably on the bears. Thank goodness for the WBHA there. The wolf tracking concept is laughable, especially with last year's conditions. That laughable concept led to a further laughable wolf quota this year.

28-Dec-14
If Cathy Stepp does not go in and scrap the entire wolf program, the DNR has, than she is alot of empty air......

Wolf program alot of wasted money........ You know what, if you lose livestock to them wolves you can not touch them........ Well if they were on my farm, I can assure you, they would be touched.....

29-Dec-14
Christmas Day about 6:30 AM wolf trotted down my parents road in Oneida County. After it took off I went to check out the path it took. Huge paw prints! Must have been eating pretty good! I'm just glad I looked out there before I let my parents two older dogs outside and my two puppies.

Neat to see but very scary that it was that close to a home.

With the wolf being relisted if it's attacking your family pet can they be put down?

29-Dec-14
Yes i believe attacking fluffy is a justified homicide. I am sure it would be investigated like lion killing in cal. Tying fluffy up smeared in bacon grease may not pass the legit test tho.

29-Dec-14
If a wolf is shredding your dog you can hit it with a stick and try a scare it off but you can not harm or kill it. Even Wildlife services can't kill them. Only relocate them while protected.

29-Dec-14
Farmers can no longer shoot wolfs attacking cattle, I doubt they can be shot for attacking fluffy either. I think Human life being in danger is the only exception. Gov trappers can still remove problem wolf, and presumably kill them. Although better to just move them to the Madison area.

• Sitka Gear