BOWJO 31-Dec-14
Mule Power 02-Jan-15
Flatlander 03-Jan-15
Flatlander 07-Jan-15
mixed bag 11-Jan-15
Flatlander 12-Jan-15
GIT R DONE 13-Jan-15
20-Dec-14
Ok I am kicking around the idea of hunting WY this year. Not really looking for a partner just some advice from guys who have hunted WY on what kind of area I can draw with three points. Also I have seen on the website where the areas are broken down into regions, with units in them. Does an applicant draw a region or unit when he applies?

20-Dec-14
What are you looking to hunt?

20-Dec-14
ELK

21-Dec-14
Do you have 3 going in for 4 or 2 going in for 3?

21-Dec-14
I have three going in for four

21-Dec-14

Teeton's Link
The unit's are with in a region. But you can only draw a tag for one of the units in that region..

Now Wyoming has two Nonres draws. Reg price and the high dollar draw.. I don't have the right prices right now but lets say you need 5 points to draw a tag in your unit of choice in the reg priced draw. In the high dollar draw that the tags cost around $1200 you may draw with only 3 points. Just a way for the state to make more money,but that's how it work's..

You will have to look and see what points you need to draw a unit you want to hunt.. Remember some units in Wyoming you need a outfitter to hunt in them because it is all wilderness. Non regs can not hunt in any wilderness in Wyoming without a outfitter..

Also look at how much public land the unit you may want to hunt has. A unit that take's 3 points to draw as a non res, but only have 5% public land that you can hunt on and it may not have elk on it or be land that elk live on..

Do your research and ask question here on the bowsite.. That's why we use it.

Oh the high dollar draw is called the special draw.. Here is a link the the draws odd's. Just scroll down and find elk and remember you start to put in for elk come January 1 and it closes on the 31st. So start looking now.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001914.aspx

Ed

21-Dec-14
ED I have been looking at the site. It's confusing. The more I learn about WY the less I like it. First is the requirement for a guide in wilderness areas. It's my understand these properties are open to non res for everything but hunting. Which tells me the outfitters got some stroke in that state. Now this special draw isn't in anyway fair in my opinion. HOW can I tell which units aren't private land or wilderness. The map on the website doesn't designate.

21-Dec-14

Teeton's Link
I'll look more, but click the link for now, it will help..

http://www.wilderness.net/map.cfm?xmin=-12362411.1266&ymin=5011499.3536&xmax=-11582982.8753&ymax=5621961.1825

21-Dec-14
Look at these maps by "Do It Yourself hunting maps" See link. Clink on the unit you want to look at, the clink on view map details. (The map on my computer is turned with north to the left , should be on top but it isn't.) Ok thats the whole unit, now look at the color codes the wilderness is darker green.. Ed

21-Dec-14

Teeton's Link
Opp's forgot the link..

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/p/wy-elk-statewide-unit-map.html

21-Dec-14

Teeton's Link
Opp's forgot the link..

http://diyhuntingmaps.com/p/wy-elk-statewide-unit-map.html

21-Dec-14
You can get a lot of info from DIY hunt maps on a unit by scrolling down to the stats on that unit.

21-Dec-14
You can get a lot of info from DIY hunt maps on a unit by scrolling down to the stats on that unit.

25-Dec-14
You looking for a type 9 or anyweapon?Looks like you have a shot at unit 35 type 9 decent success.Your kind of in the middle really.I suggest trying for a good tag and maybe get it in random draw,or go special draw 2nd choice general and build another point and still go hunt

27-Dec-14
I got some solid imfo for you now but we will probably have to go over it on the phone.Theres a handful of le units you can draw.Success rates from 20-40% on branch antler bulls.Some units will have good populations of grizzly.So I need to know what your looking for in a hunt

27-Dec-14
Thanks everyone for the info. I am wading thru a ton of information, and at this point more confused than when I started. This is a very tricky application process. I'm sure that with the help I have received it become clear soon.

31-Dec-14
Hunt Wyoming quite a bit and would continue to apply for points but go get a general unit tag and hunt now. U can apply for points and general tag at same time. 1 st and 2 nd choices on application. Good elk in many of the general units. Wyoming is still my favorite state in Western US to hunt compared to most others.

31-Dec-14
Flatlander, there are a lot of good general units options available. You do not need to hunt wilderness areas for a good quality hunt as in Colorado. Yes, the outfitters do have a lock on wilderness areas and thats just the way it is. I'm looking to be back Sept.

As Steve said, learn the ways of Wyoming and you'll leave the crowds of Co. behind.

02-Jan-15
3 points will get you a regular Full Priced General Elk license. Not unit specific. You can hunt any unit that doesn't require the drawing of a limited license. There are LOTS of them with plenty of remote non-wilderness country and great hunting.

That keeps it real simple with lots of options.

03-Jan-15
Thanks guys.

07-Jan-15
Special thank to the guys above. I now have a full understanding of the draw process. I am going to apply very soon. Looking a hard draw for my first choice and special draw general area for my second. I am still pondering which unit I want to hunt but have a very good idea. If I don't draw I am looking at an OTC state. I want to elk hunt this year! I just wish I would have started buying points 10 years ago. This year I will be buying points in a few states. Also thinking about starting to buy Moose points in WY. I figure by the time Im 55 I may draw a tag. Good luck to anyone else who's applying.

11-Jan-15
Sounds like an excellent plan.Use Montana as your fall back on state as they don't sellout anymore and have much better hunting then Co. otc units.If you have time when you draw, swing by and we can go over maps of some of the better general units.Your looking to hunt some of the same units I've been looking to give a try Your going to love Wy. elk hunting!!!

12-Jan-15
Scott I am both excited and concerned about this years hunt. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a solo hunt. However the more I read about the rewards of solo hunting the better I feel. I just can't imagine several days in the wilderness alone. It has to be a psychological challenge.

13-Jan-15
I'd save your points till you have bout. 5 or 6

• Sitka Gear