Babysaph 03-Jan-15
JayD 04-Jan-15
Babysaph 04-Jan-15
gobbler 04-Jan-15
Big-Otis-Jeff 04-Jan-15
Babysaph 05-Jan-15
Big-Otis-Jeff 06-Jan-15
29-Dec-14
Friend at work tonight was telling me about 12 DNR officers conducting, month long investigation into and issuing several tickest yesterday in MIngo Co for....wait for it...an organized squirrel hunt without proper permits and couple guys over their limit, by 2-3 i believe.

I guess the guys put it out on Facebook and someone in said group got mad at another and called it in..

I get it,over the limit, but why is it when you really need them for something big like a poached deer, they never have the time or blow you off..???

Thoughts....?

29-Dec-14
Tooooooooooo busy going thru trash to see who's dumping, or, driving around while on their 9-5 writing tickets for loaded guns in vehicle's. They are way to busy for Poaching deer, or Spotlighting CALLS !

29-Dec-14
They want us to do all the work for them. Unless it's a sure bust they don't seem to bother with it. I just recently called and reported a place where close to 20 deer had been rolled up in different tarps and rolled over the bank. I was told he had already received a call been to the spot to check it out but wasn't much he could do with out a lead of some sort. Thats all that was said. I would like to think if he had been there to the scene he would of atleast got the arrow with the bright colored fletching that's impossible not to see so he could possibly match it up to a suspect later on as long as it was between the hours of 9-5 Monday through Friday lol

29-Dec-14
You guys shouldnt slam CO's , they put their lives on the line everyday.They are underpaid and under staffed.

29-Dec-14
Just so you know ron its not a 9-5 job for them and poaching is poaching if its a squirrel or any game animal there trying to enforce the law and dumping/loaded guns in vehicles is breaking the law to there way under staffed so get off there backs

29-Dec-14
Going through trash isn't all they do by a long shot. It's not easy sitting around the local Go Mart or restaurant hitting on married women while getting paid for it. Show some respect!

29-Dec-14
Just like any group, the majority are good and do the best they can with what they got. On several occasions at sleepy creek in the summer I watched a weekend warrior CO just stand at the boat ramp and check every boat to see if they had any alcohol. He even harasses a Dad with a couple kids in a canoe. He was arrogant and obnoxious to everyone. But he was a reserve CO with a chip on his shoulder. I know several folks who stopped going there just because of him. But I do not blame all CO's for one Bad apple. There is only one regular CO Per county, they can only do much.

29-Dec-14
Usually the first to complain about the wardens would be the first to complain if license fees would increase to pay for more officers.

29-Dec-14
Cuz they want dead deer. Duh

29-Dec-14
All kidding aside they do have a tough job.

29-Dec-14
What is an organized squirrel hunt and what permits do you need? I need to read the regs more. Didn't know I needed a permit. What does it cost? Do I have to buy it before the squirrel season comes in?

29-Dec-14
Yes, you have to apply for them before the season comes in. It allows a group of between 10 and 20 hunters to put on an orginized drive. Lots of regulations, hunters have to be over 21 and under 61. Only full grown grey squirrels may be taken, no fox squirrels allowed. Only weapons allowed are 32 cal. Flintlocks with true black powder. There are a lot of other regulations as to how long the drive may last and how far you can drive.

Permits are strictly limited, most people only draw once or twice during their life.

29-Dec-14
I never understood why it was against the law to shoot a squirrel out of a sycamore tree while on an organized squirrel drive. Explain that one Gobbler

29-Dec-14
A lot of people get confused about that one. It's the most frequently asked question in regard to orginized squirrel drives. Most people think it has something to do with sycamores not having nuts. But the origin has to do with Davy Crockett. When he was elected to Congress he introduced a bill that prohibited shooting squirrels out out of sycamores during drives as a test to see how much support he had. It passed with 100% support and the rest as they say is history.

29-Dec-14
I don't care what the wardens bust someone for in Mingo County as long as they are busting folks. Baby chipmunk stomping, aautumn olive bark stripping, waterdog tail biting, or organized squirrel drives...I could care less as long as they are busting people. Hopefully they were some of the folks that trespass on my hunting lease and drive me insane. However, I think you got your chain yanked by your co-worker, Big-Otis-Jeff.

29-Dec-14
I don't care what the wardens bust someone for in Mingo County as long as they are busting folks. Baby chipmunk stomping, aautumn olive bark stripping, waterdog tail biting, or organized squirrel drives...I could care less as long as they are busting people. Hopefully they were some of the folks that trespass on my hunting lease and drive me insane. However, I think you got your chain yanked by your co-worker, Big-Otis-Jeff.

29-Dec-14
It makes no sense that you can shoot squirrels all day long in an ash or blue beech but not a sycamore. babysaph should jump all over that law and get it changed.

29-Dec-14
He won't do anything unless it involves spikes.

29-Dec-14
ken, I have called many a CO----not much response---now I dont bother. As far as a Raise--I along with several clubs and WVBA members did Support a Raise when Ed H was DNR director! Was supposed to go for additional officers--they got the raise--we never got the additional officers---by the way ken---me mordent

29-Dec-14
NO, i saw video of the actuall bust and pics to back it up because i was skeptical as well....It happened...I promise you that..

You guys that have connections with DNR, ask them...because it happened.

I mean tis does seam petty to me,BUT, if these guys posted violations and someone reported it, the the officers did there job and handled it...

BUt my gripe is this...Unless they are handed a sure thing case, you never see them....

29-Dec-14
Now the organized hunt charge....I have no idea.... Tese guys were posting under the name of Southern Squirrel Busters or something like that on FB....They all met at a local business before the hunt and then after to compare who had kille dthe most.....This happened several times...until last week...LOL

29-Dec-14
Haha. You guys are too funny. I was going to combine some post season scouting with some squirrel hunting in January but now I'm kind of afraid to.

29-Dec-14
Other than killing too many squirrels what law did they break?

29-Dec-14
They killed a few fox squirrels in a sycamore tree. That's a class C felony.

29-Dec-14
Charged with running an organzed hunt and over their limit......I will find out more shortly

29-Dec-14
Seriously, I know the story sounds a little far-fetched but maybe it's true, I don't know. I know most of us on here are more concerned with deer but the DNR officers are sworn to protect all the laws, not just the ones they want( unlike our current President). I have a close friend that could care less about deer and only hunts squirrel and turkeys. If there was an orginized group hunt that was some sort of contest that could harm the squirrel population in a given area. There could be other factors such as trespassing involved as well.

Bottom line is the officers have a duty to pursue squirrel violations as well as deer or any other game animal or protected specie. If you are a deer hunter and don't care about squirrels I admit it sounds a little funny, but if the only game you hunt is squirrel it might be important to you. Not to mention , squirrels are the first game that a lot of kids learn to hunt and home their woodsmanship skills on, and if they are being illegally decimated in an area that could affect a legal hunter ability or a youth hunters ability to have a good legal hunt.

Just a thought

30-Dec-14
Agreed

30-Dec-14
For your info Ron they haven't had a raise in years that has to come from the legislature.They along with other law enforcement officers have the most unsafe jobs there is.There out there trying to protect YOUR INTEREST.like I said get off there backs

30-Dec-14
I know for a fact that you have to get a special permit to have a catfish tournament. So I don't doubt for a minute you would need a permit for any organized hunt. It's all about the money.

30-Dec-14
and a special permit to have a bass tournament. although the permit is free, for now

30-Dec-14
Just to respond to Clare@work. I have more respect for law enforcement then anyone. I have also dealt with several different agencies. I worked at the southern regional jail for six years and only seen one arrest for poaching. It was a 18 year boy who shot a Doe off of Twins Falls state park at night with a 22lr. The assistant warden who is a good friend of mine was the one doing the arrest. I had to help him with the paper work. you do realize your county 911 center has a monthly list of all calls coming in and arrest made. To all those out there wearing a uniform thank you for your hard work and my prayers are with you.

30-Dec-14
So why hang they had a raise? Let's look into that.,

30-Dec-14
Whats the definition of an organized squirrel hunt? If I meer some buddies in the Walmart parking lot to go squirrel hunting am I commiting a crime?

30-Dec-14
What pagevin the regs does it say you need a permit for a squirrel hunt?

30-Dec-14
I meant so why havnt the DNR guys had a raise?

31-Dec-14
C-mon Jeromy. you must be confused. There ain't no poachers or trespassers in Mingo county. I heard they lock them "good ole boys" up down there! Maybe they just wanted to "borrow" you cameras and stuff and are planning on returning them! 8^)

31-Dec-14
Probaby, I dont know why you are directing your statement to me. I dont see how it has anything to do with what I said. My Nephew is the CO in my county , so I have first hand knowledge of what all they deal with over the course of the year. Like I said its the most dangeerous Law enforcement job in the state , give them a break.

31-Dec-14
It is a dangerous job.

31-Dec-14
Yes it is dangerous . When you think about it everyone they investigate during hunting gun hunting season has a gun. A friend of mine is a retired officer that used to work in Webster county and most of the time they are alone. I remember him telling me that he was on edge most of the time he had to investigate a deer camp after dark. He never knew how many people were actually there and a lot of time in the evening the alcohol was flowing pretty steady in a lot of camps. You just never know how people are going to react.

01-Jan-15
That is true. It's a thankless job but the governor is going to hire more CO's so that will nelp

01-Jan-15
I went squirrel hunting today.,my buddy wanted to go with me but I told him no. We didn't have a permit for a group hunt.

01-Jan-15

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
Ron Miller's embedded Photo
ken, your bark is worse than your bite-----I aint on their backs, I love them, same as I do you ! This AINT NO SQUIRREL BITE ! This happened today---Happy New Year !

01-Jan-15
Looks like ken has a pretty nasty bite

01-Jan-15
if I were you I would go get a rabies shoot and have that thing checked for rabies

02-Jan-15
Clare@work I am very sorry for coming across wrong way what I meant to get at is some departments don't work near as hard as others. I know that I was shocked to know that in a Wyoming co how few calls the DNR actually had.

02-Jan-15
Ron that looks Nasty. If that is an animal bite get it checked out

02-Jan-15
Better be careful, a D.O. Might be working in the ER.

02-Jan-15
DO are doctors too aren't they?

02-Jan-15
Yes, they fit in between witch doctors and Medicine Men.

03-Jan-15
Too funny. So if I see WD behind the doctors name I'll know he is a witch doctor?

04-Jan-15
JR - did anyone answer your questions about where in the regs it talks about the organize hunt and permits? I know several groups who drive up at Sleepy Creek and just wondered if they got permits.... I never knew there was such a law. I know gobbler likes to joke a bit but I am assuming there is like a certain number which this falls under like 6 or more hunters? I am like you I need to read the regulations more - never knew this.

04-Jan-15
I have never seen it and no one answered the ? I'm afraid now to let anyone ride in my truck during hunting season,

04-Jan-15
You shouldn't be hunting out of your truck anyway. LOL

04-Jan-15
I too have looked....cant find anything on it

05-Jan-15
In Pendleton county that's how you hunt. From a truck, at night with a .22 magnum and a beer between your legs.

06-Jan-15
Now thats real huntin right there Babysaph....LOL

• Sitka Gear