10orbetter 30-Jan-15
Two Feathers 30-Jan-15
Two Feathers 31-Jan-15
dbl lung 31-Jan-15
razorhead 01-Feb-15
Two Feathers 01-Feb-15
razorhead 01-Feb-15
01-Jan-15
You guys that are still out hunting the metro units with bow, please post your pictures and reports here. Good Luck in the Extreme Weather Season.

02-Jan-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Not metro unit, but shot a doe last night on first sit since November! Cold and windy. Saw four total, one unknown and two fawns. The first one went through an hour before quitting but too far to get a look at. The others came just after sunset, heading toward field. One stopped right below tree, thought I was busted for sure as it looked up and did the sniff test before finally moving on. Shot going away, hit back left and angled through lungs, nicking heart on way out. It all happened so fast; saw arrow sticking out of ground from the stand and thought maybe I'd somehow missed until getting down and seeing arrow soaked in blood and hair. No typical "whack" on the shot so must have been all soft tissue. Walked out to get gear and look for tracks in the very light dusting of snow and ended up walking right up on the deer dead not 100 yards away. It had a nice mix of crop field eats and browse in the belly.

02-Jan-15
Good job Naz!

02-Jan-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Thanks, the best part was thawing out with the smell of fried onions and tenders — then feasting! (Sorry for the blur - must have been in a hurry to eat! ;)

02-Jan-15
Little on the pink side for my taste NAZ.

02-Jan-15
For me too — if really that red. It wasn't that color, though; must have been the camera/setting in the available light but I was too lazy to tweak it after!

02-Jan-15
Congrats Naz. I like it more red.

02-Jan-15
Looks good otherwise.

02-Jan-15
Excellent job Naz plus calling your own shot. Some famous baseball player had a habit of calling his shot too. Well done.

02-Jan-15
I think it looks very good,in fact it could be a little more rare.I got a case of the crud so I probably won't get out anymore

02-Jan-15
Naz - outstanding - way to go.

02-Jan-15
Nice work.

Hunted this evening. Nothing seen. Not in a metro unit but not far from one. Only 2 more days of my first archery season...looking to get on the board...

02-Jan-15
Injury came back, had to stay home. 3 calls so far from friends hunting in the N kettle and in Metro......

lots of deer sign, no movement,,,,,,, could be the full moon I do not know.....

report from a friend is that he found a rub, that was 15 inches wide, on a tree that was 42 inches in circumference, Ozaukee Co.....

02-Jan-15
Nice job Kevin ,no hunting for me this weekend. Down in Little Rock visiting my grand daughter . Hope to do some metro unit hunting this January

02-Jan-15
Thanks all, Bob enjoy the time and let me know if you have too many running around in the metro unit!

02-Jan-15
Sat from 1:30 PM until close. Not a single deer. Might be time to go ice fishing.

03-Jan-15
Sat 3 'til close yesterday. The property was in metro so I'd planned on waiting until things had quieted down a bit more to hunt that...But I was in the area looking at jobs and figured sitting in a tree was better than driving home and sitting at the pc. Alsways have my stand sticks pack and bow in the truck.

Saw one doe while leaving. She was coming out of the thick stuff 5 minutes after hours.... Should'a waited on that spot.

03-Jan-15
10 OB please do not post anymore of your hunt reports.....they are depressing......

03-Jan-15
Hunted last night and didn't see anything but I did find a pair of my binoculars I left next to a tree last October.

Went out tonight and saw 5 skinheads. It was looking good for getting a shot off and then my cell phone starts ringing. Party over.

03-Jan-15
TF, ouch! I always turn my to mute, and in the past never took it out except to check time. But, tonight posted "live from the tree" here and am lucky I wasn't spotted. Am thinking might be best to keep it in the zipped pocket! Boy times have changed ...

03-Jan-15
Firsty, you think you are depressed! Lol. I opted for ice fishing Pike Lake near Hartford. Sat from 11 AM until 5PM. One monster perch 3 inches long and one drive by. I'm having a bad year! By the way, for those of you who do get out on the ice be very careful. All the postings for Pike were 7 inches of ice or better. First hole I drilled, there couldn't have been 5 inches. A little unnerving in 18" of water!

03-Jan-15
RC there may not have been 5 inches of ice. And I did mean 18 feet of water.

07-Jan-15
Saw zero last night.

07-Jan-15
5-6 Inches of ice is strong enough to take an ATV on it I do it all the time Army Eng say 10inches will hold a car...But always have in mind no ice is safe ice..Be careful out there.

07-Jan-15

Zonks32's embedded Photo
Zonks32's embedded Photo
10orbetter.... Keep after if. I shot this doe on Jan. 5th, 2013. I lost track of how many times I had got "skunked" that season prior to that afternoon. Like your season this year, I had spent tons of hours on stand with no filled tag to show for it. Hang in there!!

07-Jan-15
Well I was out tonight/ Got into ground blind at 3pm,,,,,,,, At 4:15pm two does came by, but out of range, they were at about 50 yards. I will not take a BS shot, even with the compound..... nice to see deer though/////

I knew they would move, with cold weather and no wind......

I predict Sunday pm should be very good

07-Jan-15
Had basketball practice tonight or I would have been on stand. They were moving earlier tonight. Saw three ready to cross the road on Hy. 60.

11-Jan-15
Hunted public land in the Titletown metro zone. Saw two other hunters and zero deer.

11-Jan-15
Hunted in Saukville this afternoon. Took grandson along and we both fell asleep. Zero deer seen.

12-Jan-15
Hunted Saturday afternoon in the Milwaukee Metro Unit. Saw zero wildlife. I crossed zero tracks on my way in to my stand, and one set, few days "old" on the way out when I took a slightly different route back to my truck.

I know there are deer in the area, just not this weekend.

12-Jan-15
Only day time pictures are squirrels. Three different bucks all with horns on camera 1/11 but at zero dark thirty.

14-Jan-15
1/13 saw zero. 1/14 am over slept.

14-Jan-15
Hunted this afternoon in Saukville and saw a doe with two fawns. They did not make it in my bow range.

Hung a stand in Grafton, baited it up and hung a camera. Landowner said he ran into some deer on horseback yesterday around lunchtime.

Starting to get deer on camera in the morning at first light so I will do a morning hunt on Friday. If I hadn't overslept this morning I may have got a shot.

Daytime movement is starting to pick up.

16-Jan-15
saw zero this morning and saw one this afternoon in range. No shot taken.

Saw a number of deer while making house calls. They were up and about 12:30 - 2:30 is when I saw them. Also had one standing in the road I had to brake for.

17-Jan-15
saw zero this afternoon. Drove a lot of miles on the back roads today and didn't see a deer until 7:55 pm.

18-Jan-15
hunted afternoon - saw zero.

19-Jan-15
Headed out later this week. Have been on the ice lately. Couple of nice northerns, nothing huge though.

19-Jan-15
Another day of zero deer seen.

20-Jan-15
Another day of zero deer seen.

21-Jan-15
Hunted a fresh spot this afternoon. A couple miles north of Herrington Beach State Park on Sauk Trail. I saw one deer, unfortunately, it saw me first. Busted! Maybe I should wear my hearing aids.

22-Jan-15
Crap! Being discouraged, I didn't go out tonight. But, I drove on a scouting trip past where I have permission to hunt. 14 deer in one field and 2 in another. 10 minutes before closing. Lesson Learned!

22-Jan-15
Hunted the same property this afternoon as I did yesterday. Saw zero deer.

26-Jan-15
Hunted Wed. afternoon and yesterday afternoon. Saw zero deer on Wed. and one, possibly two yesterday.

20 minutes before shooting time yesterday, I spot a deer running full bore through the woods about 150 yards directly in front of me. I couldn't tell buck or doe, b/c it was hauling the mail and I was looking through trees and brush, but I could definitely tell it was a deer. I kept watching to see if a coyote or another deer was in tow....but nothing that I could see came through behind it.

Ten minutes later a buck (assuming it was the same deer, but maybe not??), comes running out of the tree line, 80 yards in front of me at my 1 o'clock. With the frozen snow cover on top of the leaves he made quite the racket. At its closest, the deer was maybe 60 yards away at my nine o'clock. When the deer stopped running it was about 150 yards away, almost directly behind me. Looked to be a 6 or 8 pointer...hard to tell.

I waited for a minute while the deer stood still and looked back from the direction it had run from.

As the deer started walking away, I grunted and snort-wheezed in an effort to get the deer to turn and come back so I could get a better look. He stopped for a second, so I grunted again, but he was not interested...just kept walking on from that point.

If he doubled back down wind, I didn't see or hear him.

Fun encounter....and reason why I love the late-season.

27-Jan-15
BIG Buck downed in Ozaukee County. I'm hoping to have more details later today. Not my deer, waiting on more details of the hunt and a pic to share.

29-Jan-15
Hunted northern Ozaukee Wednesday afternoon. Saw 5. No shots taken. Pretty good evening.

29-Jan-15
Hunted Ozaukee County last night. Around 4:45, thirteen deer filed into the field where I was set up on the ground. No antlers but 2 were large. The wind was perfect but it seemed like at least 1/2 of the deer were looking in my direction at all times. The biggest came within 30 yards and was always looking in my direction. Came to 1/2 draw twice. Classic. Stare at me, put it's head down, and look up two seconds later to see if I have moved. All of the older deer were snorting and blowing. They stayed in that field for at least 45 minutes. Walking out there was another 7 in an adjacent field. 20 deer for the night! An awesome end to my season!

29-Jan-15
secured permission to hunt a large corn field, so with the nw wind, will sneak and peak today, so who knows

29-Jan-15
My last sit of the season. Hopefully it's a good one!

29-Jan-15
Saw a bunch but nothing close enough

29-Jan-15
I walked to the back of my three acre of woods to find that someone took the SD card out of my trail camera and tried to take down my ladder stand. This is one acre into my three acres. Whoever it was, had little feet and came through the woods trespassing from the South. Cedarburg area, I figure it had to be a shed hunter. Trailed the foot prints for about 800 yards and they headed off toward Hy 60. They had to walk through a good mile of woods and farm field to get there. I pulled the camera. Suck way to end the season.

29-Jan-15
I hunted this huge corn field. With the wind, I would look into a lane, and than go to the next. lots of tracks no deer.

I saw a lot of turkeys, and I found something. I found a lot of cat tracks, and then I found an area, that all the feral cats are using, for a litter box.

These cats had scat all over the size of an area, about the size of a picnic table.... never saw that before

guess where my fox pro is going next week

that's too bad 10, I had a ladder stolen in Germantown

29-Jan-15
Hunted Sauk Trail on the north end of Ozaukee again, same as yesterday. Different wind today so I dug out a new place to hide on the ground and covered the same trail as yesterday. Took my 9 year old grandson along and the decoy. I put him about 25 yards away from me next to the decoy. He was suppose to be making fawn sounds on the call but I never heard him, maybe the deer did. The same deer that came by me yesterday came by us again today and I put an arrow through the lead doe. Nice big doe and was carrying twins.

10 - you lucked out. You didn't lose your camera or stand just the SD card. Friggin thieves!

30-Jan-15
Vilas, great night!

10, that bites. So many similar stories. And we're to believe that most hunters are good guys who'll follow the rules (like call-in registration). So many blame youth hunts and wolves, yet the worst offenders may be the cheats among our own ranks.

30-Jan-15
I agree Naz but the youth hunts in the north are very abused.....sad but a fact

30-Jan-15
Naz agreed.

Razor, you are right but, the guys that are abusing the youth hunts north are their fathers. Get tag, go out behind the house.

On a good note, I went looking for the buck I arrowed earlier in the year and never found. I found him today, alive, well and full racked. He was bedded alone in the thickest tangle of dogwood you could ever imagine. In the frozen swamp not 40 yards from where I lost his tracks back in November. He bulldozed out of the dogwood and then leapt over another stand of dogwoods. Could see antler but, what makes me certain it was him, I could literally see an off color knot high on his left shoulder. I reached for my phone hoping he would stop for a picture but, he cleared country in a hurry. I kicked up four other unidentified deer out of that swamp. No sheds.

30-Jan-15
Hunted in Saukville this afternoon and saw one. No shots taken.

31-Jan-15
Last hunt - zero deer seen.

31-Jan-15
Sat this evening over a corn pile. Had the biggest buck I have ever seen during late season come in to 20 yards. Another broken 10 pointer stayed out at 40 yards and a fawn just watched and learned at a distance. Never sat this late but it certainly fun and look forward to having a tag next year at this time of year.

01-Feb-15
okay so Friday was my last day out. Finally hooked up with 3 guys that wanted to drive deer. Two guys made a quiet drive with one posting.....

Years ago we use to always do drives and man we shot deer.....

anyway I had the land to do it on. we pushed them beds. sun and no wind 24 degree. We move about 17 deer all day. we quit about 4pm...

One buck was missed. I passed on 2 doe fawns, at 10 steps, and we had a great time. we also missed one coyote.........

great end to the season......

On Saturday we took Pepi the beagle out and shot rabbits. My buddy found a big buck down. Coyotes had been on it..... I measured it at 148.... nice find for my friend, plus we got 5 rabbits........

01-Feb-15
Hmmm bow and arrow deer drives. Yes, when you have deer moving they are fun.

01-Feb-15
two feathers till the changed the deer zones stuff, we had an annual deer drive at Buckhorn State park.

we had it the sat before Christmas, and we had guys and gals from all over the state, and we averaged about 15 every year.

we shot a lot of deer, and did really well, and it was so much fun.....

• Sitka Gear