Toonces 05-Jan-15
BigZ 05-Jan-15
spike78 06-Jan-15
Toonces 06-Jan-15
bigbuckbob 06-Jan-15
spike78 07-Jan-15
BowhunterVA33 07-Jan-15
02-Jan-15
After 28 years of "deer hunting" I have come at a crossroads. I just don't have the education I need to be a successful deer hunter. I know people who get multiple deer per season in low population areas. Others, who have success reading sign and seeing deer every hunt.

So I have declared 2015, "My final Season". I plan on finding 1-2 areas and scouting/prepping and hunting each to the best of my ability. If I do not succeed on seeing deer after a highly increased effort and studying, then it's just not for me. 4 deer in 28 seasons just isnt worth it.

My question to all is: What are the best resources, Video, DVD, person, etc. to really get down and dirty reading those subtle deer signs in the woods, picking spots to focus on etc. Even if someone is interested in getting out in the woods or sitting down for a "lesson". Any info is appreciated.

02-Jan-15
Read Whitetail Behavior Through The Seasons, by Charles Alsheimer. This book examines the life cycle of deer and is loaded with what you need to know to find and shoot deer.

A subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine will help. In about three years all subjects pertaining to deer hunting are discussed and examined.

28yrs of "deer hunting"? Some of it must have been enjoyable for some reason. " I know people who get multiple deer per season", They're not much help?

02-Jan-15
What area of CT are you looking to hunt? I ask this to offer you help if it's near my areas as well.

02-Jan-15
Wild Bill....nope. The ones I know who get the deer, keep the deer knowledge as secret as my memere's meat pie recipe.

I've read alot, but to me it's all the same basic things:

Find the does and you'll find the bucks during the rut. Find the crops and you'll find the deer early and late seasons.

But, I want the more in depth knowledge. To read the more subtle signs of deer in the woods. Any veteran hunter can read tracks and droppings, rubs and scrapes. I think I need to go beyond that to be successful.

In regards, to why I still have hunted 28 years: I love the outdoors. However, when you see one deer while in stand throughout bow, shotgun and muzzleloader in two states, it gets old staring at trees and squirrels. Even to see a deer on stand would be satisfaction. It's not about harvesting a deer as much as being able to successfully pattern a whitetail.

I know alot of it is bad luck over the years. Who else can boast about going to North Carolina on a 5 day guided deer hunt to one of the most densely populated areas of the region and didn't even see a deer. Other people in camp did and harvested them, but not myself. lol.

Bloodtrail, I am trying to decide where to hunt in CT. I'd love to find some private land and open up options, but I have hunted state. Mostly, near Union, CT on state land. I'm open to hunting anywhere in the northern half of the state. (Or zone 11/12 if it falls in my lap, lol).

I think understanding the whitetail, behavior and needs will go a long way. I read a Penn State study that is ongoing and was interesting to see how the deer actually moved in this study. Learning to read topos to focus my scouting will help, too.

I will definitely check the book mentioned above, as I am sure it will help.

Thank you for the responses thus far and for the ones yet to come.

03-Jan-15
Bigz, where did you go in NC? I have a friend who hunted there with a bunch of guys from Belchertown?

03-Jan-15
In zones 11/12 on private land use some corn and deer will scout you.

Everywhere else crop damage permit or a WB membership will do it.

P.S. Regardless of hunting zone during rut make sure your legs are tanned and then walk in the woods wearing only a white, pissed on, pair of underwear while bent at waist line. Keep bow handy 'cause the antlered boys will get you. Times have changed and as the same sex marriage is making strides, inter-species relationships will follow logically.

03-Jan-15
BigZ I sent you a PM

03-Jan-15
Hey Big Z, I would recommend trying to have at least 6 areas to hunt. Most of this game is just putting in your time, lol. Lots of time. Some areas are better than others. This year my #1 spot was a ghost town, poor acorn crop so had to keep looking for them. Trail cams are a great tool also. Mine go in in September and are checked when I take them down last week of October. That helps me decide where I'm hunting on my 2 week November vacation. I would recommend a good climber and change up for different winds, scout hard, try not to get patterned,and the most critical is your entrance and exit to and fro your set up. And always think what the wind is doing. Hope this helps a little.

03-Jan-15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0w4_HiMVg

"Bow Hunting Pressured WhiteTails" 3 DVD set by John Eberhart has good info that might help.

The most I hunt a location during the season on state land is once or twice. I would move around if your hunting pressured property because it doesn't take long for the deer to pattern you rather than the other a way around. Their lives depend on it! I'm no expert by any means but if I could give you any advice I would say 90% of your success hunting will be directly related to boots on the ground scouting and record keeping. Know where they eat, sleep, move during the entire season and why so when you choose stand sites you'll expect to see deer because you know the area and their movements almost as good as they do.

Good luck! Never give up just change it up.

03-Jan-15
Its all about location! The best deer hunters aint gonna shoot deer if they aint there. Gotta be on sign !Don't give up.

03-Jan-15
For many years I didn't call it hunting. I called it hiking with guns/bows.

I'm sorry but if after 28 years you didn't learn it one more year might not help. When you say 4 deer in 28 year, you mean 4 big bucks or total?

03-Jan-15
is this bbb's older brother..lol

03-Jan-15
Pmd u bud

03-Jan-15
notme

come on dude, I've seen PLENTY of deer in the past 16 years, I just didn't shoot any of them. I know what BIGZ is feeling because I think most of us were there at one point in our hunting careers.

My first 3 years of hunting I saw zero deer, then I found a spot where there were deer all over the place, but it took 3 years of looking and talking to other hunters to get to that point.

BigZ - I've said this before about state land. Do your homework. Pick a spot that you'd like to hunt, pull up the topo map and study it, drive around the entire area to see the lay of the land, and then try to find a back door into the area. Ask landowners if you can cross their property to get to the state land (not hunt it) and offer to share the prize with them. By getting in the back door you let the deer come to you as the other hunters push them your way.

Understanding where deer are going to and coming from takes time. Finding food and cover are the 2 keys. Once you find the food look trails and follow them. They'll probably end up in thick laurel stands, a swamp, or tall brushy areas. Pick a stand location just outside their bedding area and then note the wind direction needed to hunt that area.

Good luck with it.

03-Jan-15
Time afield is key scout the fresh snow find where there feeding and bedding mark those locations for next season pick a stand site in between them where the most deer trails intersect. January is a good time to take up small game and scout every inch of the land your hunting this will give you a good start on late November and December areas. Do spring turkey season to find warmer season buck and doe area's . Then scout and small game hunt or coyote hunt before September bow season to finalize early stand locations and try to setup am hunts near bedding and pm hunts off prime feeding areas and always play the wind . Once you master an area expand to others and over a couple of years you will have go to places when one goes sour. Just my 2 cents I have opportunities every year and take 3 but key is hours on stand and except there will be days or weeks of no sightings.

03-Jan-15
You really want to see more deer ??

Simple:

Get up earlier in the morning, then Walk farther into to woods, Quieter than anyone else can, then Climb higher up the tree and stay there longer. Make it your goal to have 0 scent and 0 noise in the woods.

Then repeat this process in a different location, day after day after day.

You'll see deer, I promise

03-Jan-15
Spike,

Carolina Whitetail Outfitters. If your friend is the guy I know, he goes to Carolina Woods and Water with about 9 other guys and hammers them in early December. Unfortunately, they were booked for that week and we went to this other outfitter. At my outfitter, the guys brother who was the co-owner died a month prior and I really don't think that he had his heart in it. That plus, colder than normal weather, etc. seemed to change patterns on him. Every other hunter (5) saw and/or harvested multiple deer. The least amount anyone saw was 6 deer for the week.

Andyw, I have 6 trail cameras. I had mine up September and checked weekly. (I wouldn't check so often but I wanted to see if the deer were in the area.) Where I hunted it was loaded with acorns. The bigger issue is that there were so many acorns and much of each property is a mix of whites and reds. My one stand is a climber so it's nice to have the freedom to move, and wind is my number one factor on deciding where to sit on a given day. I've actually wonder if setting numerous hangons and ladder stands would help me be more stealth like in entrance/exiting.

Stlhtr..I'll check that out thank you

CT Crow I hear you about hiking. Used to just walk all during shotgun season as a kid. It wasn't until I sat still or had a stand that I started seeing deer.

BigBuckBob, I've actually seen more deer on CT State Land this year (2 on ifferent sits after dark) vs. 1 on private land in MA). Any suggestion on articles for what to be looking for on topos?

BobHunt71 I scout in the winter especially after fresh snow. Even this year while hunting in MA early shotgun. THe deer had the same movements as last year. Moving across a ridge in the oaks about 1/2 mile and cross down into houses at night.

MikeLeone, if it were that easy I'd have deer in the freezer or at least see them more often. I'm in stand 60-90 minutes before dawn. If it's an afternoon hunt, I'm in there minimum of 3 hours before shooting time. My last hunt I walked 45 minutes to get to the spot high up on a mountain.

Just going through my hunts this year. I hunted CT 6 times with bow (2 deer sighted after shooting time walking out)

in MA I hunted 10 days with bow ( 1 deer sighted while in stand)

16 sits 1 deer sighting at 70 yards away. approximately, 64 hours on stand 1 sighting.

Shotgun and Muzzleloader no sightings while on stand.

I did see 3 deer opening of shotgun, but that was a deer drive in Zone 11, so I don't count that in my stats.

Total 1 sighting in about 80-90 hours of stand time.

03-Jan-15
Bigz, you and I hunt the same areas and yeah its frustrating. I think one problem is we hear the guys slaying them on this site. It used to get to me sometimes but ive realized alot of these guys have good private land or state land with a decent population. U and I are hunting 10 dpsm land. It frustrating but rewarding also. Dont give up bud.

03-Jan-15
Bigz it's not you man, I tried to post on here the other day about how the area you are in is heavily pressured. Your area is hammered by hunters making istate land an extremely hard place to hunt with a bow ,almost every funnel on state land in your area has a tree stand in it. The deer are wise by Sept 16. I have One place on state that can produce but only because its overlooked and I am almost in someone's back yard.

03-Jan-15
Dont give up. Do you hunt Nipmuc? May not be a huge help, but I'd happily talk to you about some spots in there I've seen a good number of deer that you could check out and maybe get a sense of why they are good? PM me if you would like.

05-Jan-15
Yes Will, I did go to Nipmuc a few times during bow season. I know you had pm'd me a few spots and I will be looking into those in the coming weeks. I'd love to talk to you about why they are good spots and see what I am missing.

05-Jan-15
"Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Herndon was a real eye opener for me, especially in low deer density big woods areas. I wish I read it 20 years ago.

It made me realize how much time I wasted hunting over deer sign when I should have been worried about hunting topography and ignoring sign for the most part. I still need to reset and remind myself from time to time, that I am not hunting deer scrapes, deer rubs or deer dropping, I am hunting deer.

Also it made me realize that climbing higher is almost always better.

That said, while it has helped me kill more deer with firearms, I think it is slightly less helpful is your only interested in archery.

05-Jan-15
Thank you Toonces

06-Jan-15
Toonces, you nailed it right there. I have always hunted sign each year and after walking forever and finding acorns all over I decided to hunt the topohraphy instead after a stand move. I hunted the new stand and had sightings two of three sits during bow.

06-Jan-15
BigZ,

Just re-read your first post. I think limiting yourself to only a couple of spots is really silly as well, especially if your a gun hunter on public land or a large parcel of private land. Hunt from the ground, with a gun, you don't need a stand if your hunting areas with elevation changes, which you should be. I never hunt from a tree stand with a gun.

Gonna go against the grain here, but in my opinion you don't need to do a lot of scouting to be successful especially with a gun. Just find a bunch of areas, a lot more than two, with good topography, check them out once long before the season opens, (or maybe even just trust the map and don't check them out at all ahead of time,) mark them on a GPS or in your head, and don't go back there poking around looking for sign or doing any prep work (not sure what needs to be prepped, just find a comportable rock or tree stump and sit there). The second time you visit a spot you should be hunting them, and, just gut it out, stay put and hunt, try to resist the urge to go searching for deer sign. Easier said than done, especially for someone like me that likes to explore and look for rubs and stuff, but you got to make a choice between exploring and seriously trying to kill something. In my experience you can't do both.

06-Jan-15
Toonces

we agree on another issue buddy! Even for the bow season, I don't go to my best spots until the rut starts, then I get right into hunting, no scouting needed.

Hunting the topography is also a key for me. There are natural funnels. Deer will take the route that requires the least amount of energy and provides safety, and sometimes safety is secondary.

Gunning - I've only used a gun 2 out of the last 46 years in CT, and that was to teach a young man and his dad how to hunt deer (they didn't do bow). We went to big area of state land and started still hunting towards a funnel at the end of swamp, sat them down for a couple of hours and sure enough a deer came by but didn't offer a clear shot. Mid day, I switch to bedding areas and late day work toward food sources.

Can't remember the last time I moved my stand over a scrape or a rub, just know I was young.

07-Jan-15
Bigz, I had a cam on the same tree for three seasons. The last two seasons I got deer on it almost everyday. This year maybe one deer a week. I did a big loop around and found the deer only a couple hundred yards away. With all the acorns they would get up and only go 100 yards to a ton of acorns. I jumped deer a few times scouting at the same spot and watched them cross the powerlines to the oaks. The point being that all it took was a 200 yard move to be on the deer. For years I would try new areas and come up empty handed so Ive decided to pick a spot and learn it well instead of hopping areas and learning little. Find a few spots now and get an idea of how many deer by tracks in the snow and hunt that spot hard. One thing I like about a big area is that the deer will be somewhere there as opposed to a small spot where one year their there and next year their across the street on private land. I scout hard but still dont have the sightings alot of guys here have but I expect that with low number areas but thats part of the game.

07-Jan-15
I made the mistake of trying new spots each year for the first few years on state land. Rarely saw deer. I know of one spot that I can usually see deer.. but the method of entry and times to be there are unorthodox. As someone said above, use other hunters to help push them to you.. pattern other hunters. Started on private land last year and saw more deer in one year than the previous 4. This year I've had very few sightings. Things change that you can't control/don't know about. Things change that you do know about but who knows how the deer react. Have you kept a notebook so you can remember what did or didn't work? Perhaps you could hunt other seasons to increase time in the field?Find some info about how the military sets up ambushes.. many tactics are the same/similar. Finally, always question yourself. Scent control, in a pattern yourself, etc....

• Sitka Gear