Heartshot 10-Jan-15
DeerDan 10-Jan-15
Heartshot 10-Jan-15
SmoothieJonez 11-Jan-15
Heartshot 11-Jan-15
SmoothieJonez 12-Jan-15
bigbuckbob 12-Jan-15
05-Jan-15
It's no secret the human foot stinks. Is everyone wearing rubber boots or regular? Just curious..i switched to rubber this year?

06-Jan-15
Only rubber knee high here

06-Jan-15
I've worn both, but I have to say that the results don't convince me that rubber out performs leather boots.

Example: This season, I was wearing leather boots earlier in the season and walked to my tree on my trail is cut through the brush the last 45-50 yards. I had 2 different deer, a 6 point buck and a mature doe, walk directly on my trail not more than 30-45 minutes after I walked in with absolutely no reaction.

I store these boots in the garage during the season and I make sure I spray them before entering the woods.

On same topic of scent control - the morning that I shot my buck I absent-mindedly sprayed fabreeze while leaving the bathroom and walked through the mist on the way out. As soon as I did this I thought I should re-shower, change my underwear, etc, but said the hell with it, it's too late to delay departure. The wind was perfect that morning and the buck never knew I was 15 yards away when I shot him.

06-Jan-15
Only rubber knee high here also !!

06-Jan-15
Its all in the wind! I was with a fellow hunter one morning and he decided to light a cigarette. I flipped out on him but we had 2 does come right up to the blind while he was smoking!

06-Jan-15
I have 3 different pairs of rubber early season, mid and late season. When I started out I wore non rubber boots, I still shot deer, but I truly think that the rubber is the way to go. Would you want to risk it on that chance that a buck a lifetime comes out. Id rather know I did everything in my power scent wise to ensure that I could get him to come in, instead of thinking man I wonder if I was wearing rubber boots if he would have picked up my scent on the trail I walked in on. Just my opinion.

06-Jan-15
Regular boots.

I have very large calf mucles and have troble finding affordable rubber boots (key word affordable).

06-Jan-15
Yeah crow their not cheap at 180.00 a pair lol

06-Jan-15
Regular Rocky insulated boots. I scrub them with a mix of baking soda and water before the season, soak them with scent killer spray and let them dry. I then spray them down every time before I enter the woods. You'd be surprised with the results over the years as I can't remember the last time a deer spooked crossing my trail.

The two deer I arrowed this year both crossed my trail before they died. They never even stopped to sniff where I walked in.

06-Jan-15
Ctcrow

I have the same problem but not with my calf muscle and boots, but with my underweat and pants :)

Here's the bottomline to me. If you do the right scent control with rubber or leather, it will work. If you leave your rubber boots next to a garbage pail and bacon grease, tuna fish oil, etc drip on them, they will stink! If you leave your leather boots outside and spray them with odor eliminator before going into the woods, they won't stink.

I agree that safer is always better with deer, but if you're sloppy hunter the best gear in the world won't help you much.

By the way, I got the buck of my 46 yr bow career wearing leather boots. However, I would tell a new hunter that rubber is the way to go if you want to reduce the risk.

06-Jan-15
Don't feel bad for having a fat ass BBB. A lot of weird looking people have them. :-)

06-Jan-15

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
DeerDan 's embedded Photo
To cold for rubber today! Cabelas inferno pac boots 2000 grams of insulation. Very nice!

06-Jan-15
regular leather boots..sometimes plain work boots.

06-Jan-15
CtCrow

ohh man, you got me good on that one!! Now I feel bad about my self image. At least I can throw out the seat warmer cushion, don't need that any more.

06-Jan-15
Rubber Knee high boots. I spray the insides after every hunt and put them on the dryer. I keep all my boots in an air tight container with a box of baking soda that I change out. I only put them on when I get to my hunting parking spot. I haven't any deer spook crossing my track. I would say its one of the most important items in sent control. Minimizing sent after you leave your hunting spot. As a matter of fact this past season in November I made a few mock scrapes in a few high traffic areas and made them with my boots... The buck didn't spook from sent it freshened up the scrape the following night.

06-Jan-15
Do some of you guys really believe that a mature deer won't smell your tracks because your wearing rubber boots? Scrub and spray all you want they will smell your tracks. Weather or not they take that as danger is any ones guess, but that nose will not be fooled. Any buddy who has ever trained bird dogs knows you can't plant a training bird in a field because after a while the dog figures out that it's easier to track you to the bird instead of hunting for it, rubber boots or not they track your steps right to the bird and a deers nose is way more sensitive then a dogs. Do you think if a guy is wearing rubber boots a tracking dog won't be able to find him.....???

07-Jan-15
I have been using rubber boots for 25 years. They never get used for anything but the woods. Never even worn in my truck. They get put on right before stepping into the woods........... I have not once ever had a deer spook at crossing my trail but with one exception when I stepped in dog crap on the way to the stand..................

I believe it makes a difference. I also break them in by scouting in my new pairs in the off season to get rid of some of the new rubber smell, but have not had any bad reactions to it. The last couple years have been using Dead Down Wind boot and foot powder inside them every few times they are worn.

07-Jan-15
My laCrosse boots always smell like rubber, especially when the sun warms them up. If I can smell I know deer do!

07-Jan-15
Full Draw,

I agree with your statements and I have stated the same comparison before about a good hunting dog. If there are dogs that can smell a human body that's 90 feet below the surface of the water, then a deer can pick up your scent that is left in your boot print (rubber or not) or on the brush you touched with your scent free clothing.

Do I always use scent control, absolutely. Do I think it's going to eliminate my scent and keep every deer from detecting me, never. I have seen deer hit my downwind side at 100 yards out and stop dead, like they hit a wall, turn and walk back the way they came. Other times I've seen them walk directly in my foot prints mere minutes after I've used the trail without so much as sniffing the ground or looking around.

I also think that a buck in full rut will walk past you if he's after a doe and not react the same as he does outside the rut.

Minimize scent and hunt the wind is about all we can do in my opinion.

07-Jan-15
Always rubber boots, either insulated or not. I only use them for hunting.

07-Jan-15
I use rubber boots as well, definately less scent than leather.

Deer will react differently depending on the area you hunt or it could be a particular animal. For the guys that hunt backyards in the more populated areas, you may be able to get away with the scent more so than hunting the bigger woods.

Second thing, even though you have rubber boots, it doesnt mean that you are not dropping scent from other areas of your body. Walking with rubber boots through brush is an example. You may not be placing much scent on the ground, but you can be on high brush and vegetation via face, hands, etc.

07-Jan-15
Humans have 5-20 million receptors in our noses, and a whitetail has 290-300 million receptors, so the odds are against us from the start.

The number one cause of human odor that we can't control is what our bodies naturally emit, like our breath, sweat, dead cells, bacteria, gas, etc. So even if you ELIMINATE every possible scent from your boots, hats, gloves and clothes, you're still laying down a trail that is pretty clear for a deer.

With that said, if the scent trail is minimized the deer may ignore it as too old to worry about and go on about his/her business. But a wise old deer might think, I'm not taking a chance and alter their route.

Years ago I watched my springer chase down a pheasant in fresh snow with his nose to the ground on a dead run. How much scent do you think the foot print a pheasant leaves in snow? To a dog it was like street lights leading him directly to the backside of that bird, and I was running after him wondering, "How in the hell can he smell that?" And that bird didn't have a stitch of clothing on either.

There's no doubt that minimizing our scent is a MUST if we want to be successful, but don't think you're eliminating it to the point where the deer can't smell you.

Heck, I can smell some of you from here!! :)

07-Jan-15

SmoothieJonez's Link
I use Under Armour H.A.W. Uninsulated Rubber Boots for scouting preseason, early season and mid season. Like DeerDan, I use Cabelas Inferno 2000gr Pack Boot on cold days. The H.A.W. boots are the best rubber boots I ever owned. I have two pairs now. I use the ones I beat the snot out of for scouting, newer ones for hunting only.

I never tried the Under Armour Men's H.A.W. Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity 800g Rubber Hunting Boots, but they are on clearance sale from $169.99 @Dicks for $160.97 plus 25% off sale brings them down $120.73, use $10 off coupon for spending over $50, and that's a great price - $111, cheaper than what I spent on the uninsulated ones. They only had men's size 8 & 9 left however. (Attached supporting link)

08-Jan-15
rubber for me. Ilove the mucks.. DeerDan, try scrubbing those Lacroose with baking soda and water. I read it works. Worth a shot

08-Jan-15
I use LaCrosse boots also and another trick I do with new boots is putting them in a rubber made like container shovel in dirt and adding water to make a mud thats the consistency of cement. I let them sit it it covered for a month or more and it takes the strong rubber smell away. (Not my idea, I read it somewhere). It works. Then spray them down with the hose scrub with baking soda like Andyw mentioned,spray them down before every hunt with cover sent, and spray the insides after every hunt and dry them on the boot dryer. Also like I said above I keep them in an air tight container with baking soda that helps with any rubber smell.

Bucks now come right up to me and compliment me on how they couldn't smell my track!

08-Jan-15

Stlhtr's embedded Photo
Stlhtr's embedded Photo
boot shot

08-Jan-15
stlhtr

never sure what to believe in these articles any more. I read you should NEVER put any of your hunting clothes in a sealed plastic bag/container with any organic matter, like dirt, tree branches, grass, etc because the moisture promotes mold spore growth and that will impart a strong odor that the deer can smell.

I always used to put some hemlock branches in with my clothes because a couple of my stands are located in or near hemlocks. Now I just hang them outside a couple of days before the hunt (unless it's raining) or leave them in the bag without the branches if it is raining.

08-Jan-15
BBB, Never had a mold issue. Keep my gear dry after the mud neutralizes the rubber smell. I'll keep that in mind though. Good idea on the hemlock. In dog tests ,cover sents had a better result then any other methods.

08-Jan-15
I use only rubber boots and different socks and/or boot covers depending on temp. As for scent.. 2014 Jan I had a domestic dog under my stand.. and it never picked up my scent. I keep the boots as scent free as possible and spray them liberally with hydrogen peroxide from the store as the last thing before leaving my car.

08-Jan-15
Sometimes i think i worry about it to much! I didn't see a buck i was willing to tag this year, but my friend shot two nice bucks while smoking cigarettes. He leaves a ashtray mounted to his tree! His drives to his spot with gear on smoking the whole way then sends me pics of deer all around him! Crazy!

08-Jan-15
bowhunter

never heard of hydrogen peroxide before?? That's a disinfecting/oxidizing agent that has an odor, so......

08-Jan-15
Rubber for me early and late season .Crow why don't you just get some garbage bags and put your boots in them very cheep .LOL

When I snow plowed I had a guy come walking across his lawn with 2 plastic garbage bags on his feet this was back in 1978 he asked me to plow his driveway I told him 30 bucks he said that's a lot of money I told him its a lot of snow this was in Westport and the house was in the millions then .Still laugh when I think of him .

08-Jan-15
BBB, Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda,and sent free soap is a good homemade's sent eliminator. Works well at killing foot odor inside my boots too.. Spray inside your boots, put them on the boot dryer overnight and the smell is gone. There are some recipes online.

08-Jan-15
Good mouth wash to kill bad breath also, minus the soap.

08-Jan-15
stllhtr

I'm going to take your word for it, never too old to learn. I'd be a bit worried if I got in my hair, it might bleach it white,.....never mind, too late for worrying about that.

Is it also a floor wax? :)

08-Jan-15
Lol... Probably is.

08-Jan-15
peroxide and baking soda is what they used before modern toothpaste was invented , except in England . not even free dental can fix their teeth..lol

08-Jan-15

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
Rubber boots for me. I keep them hanging in the bed of the truck all season, they go nowhere but in my hunting areas and get aired out the whole way there.

There are two ways that a deer will bust you when crossing your trail.

1. They smell your stinky boot human odor when they hit your trail and immediately blow up and take off.

2. They smell a disturbance to the ground from some nice odor free boot walking activity, ie. turned up dirt or broken foliage. Disturbances that in the deer world give off more scent than we are aware of. They know something has been there and upon investigating they usually end up following the tracks up to the base of your stand looking up at you then eventually work their way down wind picking up your human scent busting you and your spot.

Either way, that spot is usually a waste of time to sit in for the rest of the season (at least where I hunt). Best bet to avoid this is to try to set up a stand in a location where you are downwind of where the deer will be, and enter that stand from a direction that does not cross a deer trail that you expect deer to use when they come by. There are always exceptions to what we think or expect deer will do, but we can only do our best to put the odds in our favor.

08-Jan-15
So where do you hang your stinky feet all yr?

08-Jan-15
Don't even know why I bothered. Should have known better. See ya!!!!

09-Jan-15
grizz

smile man, just trying to make a joke.

09-Jan-15
been using Muck wetland for years. waterproof and they keep my feet warm with a regular heavy sock

10-Jan-15
Of all the rubber boots I have tried, I like Le Chameau Chasseur Leather Lined Wellington Boots the best.

10-Jan-15
Deer dan and smoothie just saw those PAC boots at cabelas they look huge but can't believe how light they r how r they warmth wise might buy them bad boys on sale at cabelas right now. I need something that is warm for late season. How r they for walking to ur stand? Any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.

10-Jan-15
Heartshot They're terrible for walking but mine are not broken in yet.. I just use them for stand hunting, very warm with one pair of socks. If you get them buy a size bigger, they run small!

10-Jan-15
Thanks dude that's what I was afraid of trying to find warm boots I can walk in it's just not working out

11-Jan-15
I broke mine in ice fishing. They are light, durable, waterproof, comfortable & extremely warm pack boot. For what I use them for - walking straight to & from stand or blind - they are ideal. Still hunting, scouting, spot & stalk or covering a lot of ground, I would recommend a different boot.

11-Jan-15
Want something that is ideal while being in tree stand. Walk in average is about 20 mins think they will work for that?

12-Jan-15
Yes, once broken in. Compared to other pack boots, they are extremely light. A lot has to do with how tight & far you lace them up. If you lace them up all the way when they are new, its like a ski boot - you have to walk heel to toe, they are that stiff, uncomfortable and exhausting to walk in. What I did when I first got them, I would purposely miss a couple of the hook-eyelets and not tighten up full throttle. Once they get broken in, they are much more flexible and comfortable. I've had mine for 5+ years and they are like slippers.

12-Jan-15
can you bend them where your ankle would bend and then tie them up, like we used to do with our baseball gloves? By keeping them bent for the off season it might break the stiffness down?

• Sitka Gear