Jeff Durnell 01-Feb-15
Brad Gehman 01-Feb-15
Rut Nut 04-Feb-15
Jeff Durnell 04-Feb-15
Flatlander 05-Feb-15
DaleHajas 05-Feb-15
Rut Nut 05-Feb-15
09-Jan-15
Guys- we need to call or write the PGC Board Of Commissioners. Seems the proposal to overlap archery bear with archery deer is getting more opposition than support. If you want to see this happen, you need to make your voice heard NOW! Thanks.

09-Jan-15
Curious... who opposes it and why?

09-Jan-15
Don't know. But my guess is rifle hunters that think we will shoot all the big bears! ;-)

09-Jan-15
Doesn't surprise me in a state where even some of the hunting org's use divisive tactics.

09-Jan-15
Thanks for the heads-up. I would really like to see this happen.

09-Jan-15
[email protected]

Get you comments in NOW!!

10-Jan-15
Sent mine in this morning.

10-Jan-15
Just sent mine

10-Jan-15
Me too :)

10-Jan-15
Sent mine Fri. afternoon. Interested to see what kind of response I will get.

10-Jan-15
Saw over on hunting pa forum that they are proposing to include flintlock for the archery bear. Flintlock guys are pushing for them to be able to hunt the last week of archery for bear if the archery hunters get it.

10-Jan-15
Yeah that boards been trashing "Bowhunters" relentlessly lately. Seems not everyone's happy about the rise in deer kill numbers during archery season. Rifle guys complaining bout no deer being seen and no hunters moving them..... They're begging for shorter "archery" seasons and longer 3 week rifle season. Virtually every thread gets locked.

They dont want the same for bears. And there's a lot that don't want it to happen.

But that's hpa members right now...

10-Jan-15
You new that was coming, and crossbows added a lot of fuel. Now will that be trad flintlocks or pretty SS models?

10-Jan-15
I'll be sending in a comment.Don't understand the extended rifle seasons,but then not allowing archery guys a shot during last week of deer.The way the seasons are now,not many archers able to take a week specifically for bear.And, we have way too many bear in my area that would be tough for a rifle hunter to hunt.I do large bear drives during rifle season,and see no problem with extending the archery time.Plus,what would it hurt to try for a year and see what happens with the harvest.I was looking forward to having this last week as deer/bear.At a minimum, it should be allowed in areas of the extended/bear problem areas to start

10-Jan-15
I'm sure it will be the pretty fancy ones along with the old real ones.

10-Jan-15
Previous to herd reduction, 200,000 bucks per year were being killed, about 40,000 of them by bowhunters, 160,000 by rifle.

Now, 125,000 bucks killed per year, 40,000 by bows, 85,000 by rifle hunters.

Only so many ways you can slice a "resource".

Rifle hunters are now killing about half what they did, and bowhunters have not lost anything in harvest?

Gonna be some animosity there.

10-Jan-15
Yep, the rifle guys have a legit gripe......they are only killing more than twice what bowhunters are. Let the sissy pantsing begin. Divide and concur is the only way to go here.

10-Jan-15
Did we surpass 40,000 yet Brad? I knew we were close

11-Jan-15
The original push was flintlock bear the last week of bow season.

I emailed BOC a couple weeks ago and matrone said he intends to limit groups of bear hunters to 3-4 so driving is minimal. Can't see that number lasting.

Something not on the plate of BOC but also being pushed for is flintlock deer the last week of bow season too.

11-Jan-15
I figure if that kind of proposal was to take place, they would have to permit inlines- scoped weapons, due to the fact scoped weapons are permitted throughout all archery.

Veiled threat..... Or serious proposal?

11-Jan-15
This isn't about what makes sense. It's all about cents.

11-Jan-15
Brad, "prior to herd reduction" was also prior to the inclusion and growth of crossbows in bow season... which undoubtedly skewed that ratio and helped keep the 'bow' kills at 40,000.

They may not, but I see that as increased opportunity for gun hunters.

11-Jan-15
How about bowhunters get to hunt bears the last week of bow season. Flintlockers get the week after that, which is now the 5 days we get. No drives in bow season. Simple.

11-Jan-15
Art. I like it,and they can hunt the week after for free!

11-Jan-15
Great idea Art!!! I always knew you were a simple to the point man! The only thing I would say is with a muzzleloader, you can expect more wounding loss especially on bears. Muzzleloader trails are notoriously weak to begin with and the hair on bears make it even more so. I wouldn't have a problem giving it to them for free also. Just don't like the idea of combining it with the last week of archery. Would like to see them give up the "in" archery doe season though!

11-Jan-15
"Muzzleloader trails are notoriously weak to begin with....."

Dude, really?

11-Jan-15
Here we go

11-Jan-15
I hope you all are sending your thoughts to BOC because there is a group of flinter guys that sure are.

11-Jan-15
"Dude Really" - read what it says and don't take it out of context!!!! They leave weak "BLOOD" trails- sorry I left out the blood but I thought most would understand what I meant.

11-Jan-15
Weak Blood Trails are left by Weak Shots and Shooters! Your comments are off base and tell me your don't know your --- from a hole in the ground!

I'm an avid Archer and Flintlocker. I oppose including flintlocks into any early archery bear season!

I feel flintlock hunters should be happy with the late season as it is! If we try to expand it, we are opening to the door to destruction. Destruction being our beloved late season!

Plus the last week of archery is magical for us archers!

11-Jan-15
I did read what you wrote and there isn't a way to take it out of context. Maybe next time choose your words more carefully. There's a number of us here, to include "Bourbonator", who completely understand flintlock hunting, and know for a fact that, "Muzzleloader trails are notoriously weak to begin with and the hair on bears make it even more so.", is a bs statement.

11-Jan-15
Have to agree with XMaster on that one. I do not wish to get into a wounding discussing on a public forum, but many years ago, on a hunting lease that I belonged to, we actually banned flintlock hunting without a visible tracking snow on the ground, for that very reason. IMHO, of all the ways to kill a deer, a flintlock leaves the least amount of a blood trail. I believe that is one of the reasons the state moved to allow conicles.

And yes, a bears hide can absorb a lot of blood before leaving a trail.

11-Jan-15
I quit FL deer hunting when I lost 2 deer to lack of blood trails after using my homemade .45 Hawken. Winter coat Roundball holes do seal up somewhat. This was after they banned maxiballs and I had to use Roundballs. I was a lot younger in those days.:)

Don't have an issue with them being used for the "week after" but would sure like to see them non-scoped to keep it traditional. IMHO Trad flinters have been forgotten.

FWIW -I'll be toting an old CVA percussion .32 for skwirls this week as I have 2 days off. Unless...... I may have to go look at some property in Emporium:)

11-Jan-15
"How about bowhunters get to hunt bears the last week of bow season. Flintlockers get the week after that, which is now the 5 days we get. No drives in bow season. Simple."

Art, I like that idea too but from what I'm reading, they are worried about the cost of manning check stations for two weeks instead of one.

Ben

12-Jan-15
Blood trails have nothing to do with round lead balls. I've killed too many deer with them to know better than that. You guys need to assign blame where it belongs, like squarely on those who aren't proficient with their weapon.

12-Jan-15
From: mixed bag ........ ....... Date: 10-Jan-15 Private Reply

I'll be sending in a comment.Don't understand the extended rifle seasons,but then not allowing archery guys a shot during last week of deer.The way the seasons are now,not many archers able to take a week specifically for bear.And, we have way too many bear in my area that would be tough for a rifle hunter to hunt.I do large bear drives during rifle season,and see no problem with extending the archery time.Plus,what would it hurt to try for a year and see what happens with the harvest.I was looking forward to having this last week as deer/bear.At a minimum, it should be allowed in areas of the extended/bear problem areas to start

Scott- my thoughts exactly! And I told the BOC in my comments that by archery bear season I have used almost all my vacation time. Therefore I never seem to have more than a day to bowhunt for bears. I am also in Pike Co. where we have had the extended season for many years and still have no shortage of bears. And large private communities that act like sanctuaries for these bears. Also a lot of nuisance bears which are tough to hunt with a rifle(stay close to the houses). In fact, I had one on my front deck the second week of rifle deer season this year.

12-Jan-15
Yep! I agree with you Roger.

12-Jan-15

Bogey PA's embedded Photo
Bogey PA's embedded Photo
Bear "nest" my dad found flintlocking up in potter/Tioga area last week. A Sow and 2 cubs were using it.

12-Jan-15
I got nothing cept for my Rage broad heads leave great blood trails, even on Bear LOL!!!

Mike

12-Jan-15
Ben, they didn't man bear check stations during the archery bear seasons so far. They make you track them down.

I just don't wany ANYBODY putting on bear drives the last week of archery.

12-Jan-15

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Now THIS is a real bear proposal! :-)

12-Jan-15

...or this....

12-Jan-15

I'll hunt them with one of these...but I want a special "lamp gun" season to be implemented during the last week of rifle!

12-Jan-15
I'm with Art- why would they open check stations. Keep it how it is now and just contact the regional office.

12-Jan-15
Bogey PA,

Great photo! That would have been really neat to come across. I'd have been tempted to pull a "Goldilocks" and see how that bear bed felt.

But on second thought, that excavation looks pretty darned deep and with my creaky old knees, I probably wouldn't have been able to get back out.

Or it would have been "just right" and I'd wake up with mama and the twins wanting their bed back. :^)

12-Jan-15
Well roger you're wrong. No more need to elaborate.

12-Jan-15
I'm wrong about what, Dale? If you can't elaborate then that's a shame, I suppose. Oh, and your whole flintlocks are inferior weapons theme is exactly what gun hunters who don't like archery say about it's involvement in deer hunting.

12-Jan-15
Dude really? :) where did I say FL are inferior? I killed a bunch with my .45 roundballs and mb's . But after using the maxiballs the trails were much better and shorter. So after losing 2 30 yd and under deer shots, I decided something......

S O. I . T O O K . R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y . M Y S E L F. T O . TR Y. BO W H U N T I N G

12-Jan-15
Gun hunters who don't like archery, are the ones using crossbows :-)

12-Jan-15
...and, flintlocks are inferior weapons...the evolution and increased effectiveness of repeating rifles used during the Civil War tells us that much. ;)

12-Jan-15
Roflmao!

12-Jan-15
They should just make it mandatory for all muzzleloader hunters to use Powerbelts. They kick butt.

Anyone who thinks and type of firearm in bow season needs their head screwed on straight. We'll find out real quick what kind of blood trails deer shot with muzzleloaders leave....in November.

12-Jan-15
My Roundballs work just fine. The deer fall over! My Bow works just as good. The deer fall over!

Both weapons and high powers can wound deer. It's the shooter not the weapon.

12-Jan-15
Bushy my roundballs worked fine too. So did my selfbows and so did my compound. So did my .30-.30 with open sights. I can't vouch for the first big rifle I have ever bought (6 months ago), my Savage .308. I haven't rifle hunted in many years so until I do I can't comment on it. I never said FL's don't kill. Please quote me where I stated they don't kill. What post was that?

Let's see.... I said that FL "are real muzzleloaders".... Nothing about them not killin orbbeing inferior there.

Then I stated that I don't have an issue about them being used in the last week prior to rifle bear season.....hmmmmm nothing about them not being able to kill there.......

Then I stated that "trad Flinters have been forgotten". Hmmmm nothing about inferiority there....

12-Jan-15
My comments weren't directed at you Dale.

It just seems to me that some guys are stating that Patch and Ball are prone to wounding and poor blood trails.

I don't agree with them, and I don't agree with any early Flintlock season.

I like it ,like it is!

12-Jan-15
I do however, think the overlap with bear in the last week of archery is a good idea.

12-Jan-15
Fact is as I wrote above I'm taking out my .32 cal patch and ball percussion squirrel gun tomorrow.... Weather permitting. Emporium mt. has about 10" of snow so I statying down here.

12-Jan-15
My Great Plains .54 did a pretty good job, with no deer lost.

Gotta admit that it was a bit of a pain to load - lots more surface area to what seemed like a ping pong ball sized chunk of lead.

But I have to admit that I never shot at a deer much more than 45 yards away. I treated trad season like archery, except I made a lotta smoke in trad season. :^)

12-Jan-15
I swear some guys just love to argue....

12-Jan-15
I've been looking for a 32 or 36 flinter for the same purpose. Havn't had much luck finding one though. Goodluck.

12-Jan-15
Bill,

Build one! Lots of good sources for really good components. Don't buy a kit - piece one together with really good trigger set, lock, and barrel. The rest is just a matter of how you want it to look. I seen the quality arrows you've put together - you surely have the talent to put together a really good shooter.

One of the best flintlock shooters I ever met was an old timer shooting a .36 that he had built. Green Mt. barrel and American Classic lock. I can't remember the trigger set, but it was double set.

That old timer, from a rest, could put 3 shots inside a 1" circle at 35 yards all day long.

12-Jan-15
They're as much fun to build as they are to make. Let's get back to contacting the PGC. I ve had 2 replies thus far...one was interesting:).

12-Jan-15
Dale, thanks for clarifying that. I just get irked with some these jump the bandwagon threads where guys bash weapons, seasons and hunters they don't identify with.

12-Jan-15
Wow, Glad we're back to X and O's.

12-Jan-15
sent my email supporting flinters having the week we would abandon for bears and that same week plus the friday and saturday after thanksgiving bucks.

12-Jan-15
The more I read threads like this one the less I like hunting or hunters. Everyone wants more, more, more! More days to hunt, more and longer seasons, more tags,etc. Way of the world today I guess. No one is happy anymore with what they got. Everyone is offended, mistreated or wronged. If a gun hunter is upset with the archery harvest why not get a bow or crossbow. Like hunting with a flintlock? Use it in rifle season. We have a bow season for bear. Why do we need to overlap? Oh I know why, so we can shoot anything in the woods for a week in nov. To allow less effort for the hhunter. I think all of this is ridiculous. PA is already more than liberal with there seasons, bag limits and tags. I MO the greed that surrounds hunting threatens it's existence. I guess I don't Identify with any of you!

12-Jan-15
I know you:)

13-Jan-15
Well then, call me greedy! I would like to sit in the woods the last week of Archery and be able to shoot a deer, Turkey and/or bear! We've had the overlap with turkey for years, and I'm still waiting to shoot one with my bow! What's wrong with increasing hunter OPPORTUNITY???!!!!

As our numbers continue to drop, we are going to have to try to increase opportunity to offset the number of hunters we are losing every year.

13-Jan-15

Let's get back to contacting the PGC. I ve had 2 replies thus far...one was interesting:).

Well what was it? All I got was the standard: "THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE" :(

13-Jan-15
I bet you would Perry along with prolly 90% of the folks on this site. I would like to sit in the woods and just hunt deer without any interruptions. Guess we are both greedy. As for Opportunity, that should be made by the hunter. I make opportunities to hunt the animals I want to hunt. I hunt the established seasons and days set and don't ask for more. I think we should be more careful in what we ask for in archery season. Look at what happened to the unions in this country because they asked for to much.

13-Jan-15
Speaking of greed and intrusions, I wonder how small game and turkey hunters feel about us barging our way in to what used to be their season. Anyone know?

13-Jan-15
I often wonder that also Roger. They should have made archery season in the month of Sept IMO. I would support a proposal of that nature. OR maybe run it until the end of the first week in Oct. Even better in my book.

13-Jan-15
Flatlander- I'm not asking to EXTEND the archery season. I'm asking that they just MOVE the archery bear season to coincide with the archery deer season! I don;t call that greedy. I call it give and take.

And as far as archery hunters INTRUDING on small game hunters, are you serious????!!!! How does a bowhunter who comes in before daylight and is 20 ft up a tree in camo being as motionless as he can, INTRUDE on small game hunting????!!!!

And FYI, I have never complained about small game hunters intruding on my bowhunting- I always figured they were just as likely to push a deer towards me, as push one away from me.

13-Jan-15
Rut, first your under the assumption that's how everyone archery hunts, and they don't. Btw, I was walking in about ten years ago with my bow and flushed several turkeys out of the roost. Seconds after that mess died down I heard someone whisper, "Thanks for ruining my turkey hunt....". I intruded.

13-Jan-15
Roger- that's how the vast majority of archery hunters hunt! Or they still hunt. Very different than how you small game hunt with a shotgun, trying to flush birds or rabbits.

I can't tell you how many times I have had small game hunters or turkey hunters walk right by/under me while I was bowhunting in full camo. They had no idea I was INTRUDING on their hunting! ;-)

And I have also benefitted by their intrusion. One year my buddy was grouse hunting nearby and not long after he shot at a bird, a doe came running my way and stopped at 30y. I'm sure he pushed it over to me. Might never have even seen that deer, let alone get a shot at it.

There is enough room for all of us in the Fall woods.

13-Jan-15
Perry this has nothing to do with you or your posts. Just my opinion. Roger is right. I'm sure I have screwed up someone's hunt once or twice in my life though I avoid kknow turkey areas when I am bowhunting.

13-Jan-15
And then there were a number of times I had to redirect grouse hunters from walking under me, which caused them to avoid the area because I was already there. Again, I'm intruding.

13-Jan-15
I got the standard response thanking me but I also got a response from Commissioner Putnam. Here's a part of what he sent me:

"We have been getting a lot of comments and there are about three main themes, one for more bear hunting with flintlocks, one for more archery bear and one that says keep other hunters out of my woods on the last week of archery deer."

13-Jan-15
Chuck, I too have found that I don't often identify with most folks on this site. That's cool though... I'm not complaining in any way :^)

"IMO the greed that surrounds hunting threatens it's existence."

That is my opinion as well... greed in many forms.

"keep other hunters out of my woods on the last week of archery deer"

Greed. Entitlement.

Roger, with tongue in cheek I wonder... as a small game bowhunter... who am I intruding on? No one? Everyone? lol

You guys can hash this out... I'm going bowhuntin'.

Guess how many other hunters I expect to encounter today!?!

13-Jan-15
"keep other hunters out of my woods on the last week of archery deer."

OK- I'm confused now. If we are just moving the archery bear season up a week, where are all these new hunters coming from????!!!! Do they really think there will be a significant number of archery bear hunters that are NOT already hunting deer that week????!!!!!

13-Jan-15

Roger, with tongue in cheek I wonder... as a small game bowhunter... who am I intruding on?

Coyote hunters, Jeff! ;-)

13-Jan-15
I think a part of the response that Phil got from the PGC says it all about the sense of entitlement many or most archery hunters feel........Or, really, it just mirrors what I've been saying in other venues about us archery guys, thus supportive of everything myself and Chuck have said here.

"...one for more archery bear and one that says keep other hunters out of my woods on the last week of archery deer."

And there you have it, "my woods". Well, I guess it's true then, it's our season, we own the woods during that time frame and everyone else who'd like to do the same is intruding and should get out. Right, Perry?

Jeff, I'm so sick of this in-fighting among hunters and their clicks that I hope it all implodes on them. The surprising part is that these guys are even talking about something other than the almighty whitetail and crossbows. :)

13-Jan-15
I wanted to keep the two separate so I didn't have to wear Fl orange over my camo. As a rule I like more hunters in the woods to keep critters stirred up. But I don't use trail camera's or hunt one particular buck. That's not doable where I live.

Usually I can still hunt slow enough to keep the blue jays off me with out orange on.

13-Jan-15
Hawkeye, my ultimate goal in stillhunting is to one day be able to hunt slow enough to keep the ticks off me :^)

I hear ya Rog. I caught that "my woods" thing too. My woods, my deer, my season, my intrusions, my stand site, my lease, my camera, my posted signs, my tags, my trophy. Mine, mine, mine.

My, my, my... what are we really huntin' for?

13-Jan-15
Man oh Man! You guys sure squabble alot! :)

13-Jan-15
Just imagine if we didn't like each other, or if we were related to each other.

13-Jan-15

13-Jan-15

13-Jan-15

13-Jan-15
To me it's more of a case of conservation. If the game commission feels they need to kill more bear, without a total slaughter that more gun hunts would do, than so be it. They know allot more about the bear population than I do! It would be an awesome opportunity for us bowhunters. I personally don't think that if muzzy hunters were allowed during that last week it would effect to much in most areas. AS LONG as organized drives are not allowed.

Public land hunting is public land hunting. Someone out for a hike, bird watching, horseback riding or small game hunting could screw up a hunt as easily as a muzzy hunter. Just part of the game in my eyes

13-Jan-15
It's one thing to ask for an additional week of archery deer as that offers more opportunity. It's another to ask to add an additional species to archery season and not open it up to any other similar (primitive) group of hunters. I seriously believe the Commissioners will not accept that and I don't disagree. It's just being selfish and cannot lead to anything good.

13-Jan-15
Jeff, I've searched and searched to see them ticks first on leaves, brush etc. Then all of a sudden they appear! Good luck!! I thought I was doing good just keeping squirrel's and blue jays quiet.

13-Jan-15
One concern was the numbers of bears that might be killed and also that more bucks would be killed due to having an inordinate number of bowhunters in the woods.

Bear harvest of "up to 900" in that weeks seems a bit high, but who knows, and then, again, bowhunters will be hammered for "killing all the bears."

At some point, maybe, we are reaching it, when is enough, enough?

Only so many ways you can slice up a resource.

Again, all for extra opportunity for hunters, when it's appropriate.

Send your comments to [email protected]

13-Jan-15
Changing the season dates to coincide with last week of archery deer isn't asking for a lot imo.I assume we are planning on getting rid of the bear only week.I also read the article where they are guessing a harvest of 900 if they change the weeks.That is ridiculous and a wayyyyy inflated number.The GC complains about all the bear and problem bears in my area and seem to be asking for a higher harvest anyway.Again theres no reason not to test this change of dates in areas of problem bears.I agree that no driving should be allowed in this season out of respect for deer only hunters.Though drives would probably push more deer around and be available for the taking Perry;great minds think alike

13-Jan-15
Well maybe we will have Sunday hunting for Bears only:)

Sorry I got outta the box.....

13-Jan-15
I think k enough is enough. I'm damn happy with the week we got to hunt bear. It is the lest invasive of all the options just to keep it the way it is.

14-Jan-15
I would think a lot of guys would want to keep as it is too. Lots of guys may not live in bear country that take part in the bear archery season. They will have to choose between hunting deer in the areas they normally hunt or traveling to hunt bear.

Changing it to the last week of archery deer would be good for the guys who really don't "bear" hunt but would just like to shoot one if it happened to walk by while deer hunting.

I don't bear hunt and there are really no bear in my area ( except for one that passes through once in a blue moon ) but if I did bear hunt, I'd want it to stay as is.

14-Jan-15
Commissioner Putnam mentioned to me that he would support no more than 6 hunters in a party and he sees nothing wrong with walking through a cornfield to push bears out.

14-Jan-15
I thought I read that the 900 bear harvest estimate was if they included the flint lock hunters the last week of archery?

14-Jan-15
I just saw pictures and an amazing video of a 500+ lb bear which were taken right up the road from my place... not far from where I put the sneak on that other one in Oct.

More bear around here than deer it seems.

14-Jan-15
This place is really choice sometimes. A bunch of guys who are just great archery deer hunters, who can't hit the side of a barn with a flintlock, thus deem them inferior weapons, are worried about the great flintlock brigade wiping out the bear population. I don't know how some people walk with both feet jammed in to their mouths.

14-Jan-15
I know lots of really good flintlock hunters, we hunt a good portion of the season for the last 15-20 years. Most are guys that are laid off from construction jobs this time of year. Several of them complained to me this year because with no snow during the first couple weeks, we did not find several deer that were hit. Bare ground hunting puts a big disadvantage to flintlock hunters in my opinion. And most flintlock hunters I know say the same thing.

I'm not saying flintlocks are inferior, but if I had my choice of shooting a bear w/ arrow or round ball, without snow, it would definitely be an arrow.

14-Jan-15
This Flintlock guy wants nothing to do with this season! I'll be buck hunting with the longbow!

14-Jan-15
Bogey, those several deer that weren't found, do you suspect those hits were through the vitals?

14-Jan-15
I'm not sure roger, I'm sure they all aimed at the vitals. But as most archers know things don't always work out the way we want them to.

I have always enjoyed flintlock season! It has rivaled bow season for me for a long time. I've killed many deer, missed many more and will continue that as long as the big guy let's me.

You are right though roger, hit em in the vitals and they will go down. But I have seen some not so great blood trails that made me scratch my head. Just my experience

14-Jan-15
Have you ever seen, "not so great blood trails that made me scratch my head", after shooting an arrow through a deer?

By the way, a .50 cal round ball hole is twice the size of one made from a .270 Win.

I haven't lost many deer, but the few that I have the determination was that it was my fault, not the weapon's. Highly doubt anyone here want's to make the argument that broadheads generally leave good blood trails, on bad hits, on snowless ground, that usually lead to dead deer.

14-Jan-15
I have seen deer hit right behind the shoulder with a flintlock and leave a pitiful blood trail that would be real hard to follow without snow. That's why I was scratching my head.

I have never seen a deer hit right behind the shoulder with a arrow and not leave a good blood tail. I'm sure it's happened but all I can say is I've never seen it.

I'm really not trying to argue here roger, just stating what my experiences have been and why I would rather shoot a bear with my bow than a flintlock.

14-Jan-15
Let's get back on track about the bear proposal.

15-Jan-15
What Phil said. You guys are worse than old ladies at bingo.

15-Jan-15
I kind a like the flintlock bashing Phil. I can't understand how our forefathers got it done? Must have been real good blood trailers.

15-Jan-15
:)

15-Jan-15

What Phil said. You guys are worse than old ladies at bingo.

Or old guys around a band saw! ;-)

15-Jan-15
I prefer the old guys and bandsaw reference.

I got a real bad image stuck in my head of all you guys sitting at a bingo table with fresh perms and hair nets!

15-Jan-15
With today's action, I'd bet the bear hunting proposal is history.

They will now be coming after the last 2 weeks of archery, IMO.

16-Jan-15
I have a bandsaw

16-Jan-15
And you are old:)

16-Jan-15
They can have my two archery deer weeks in November, but if they lay a finger on my bandsaw... IT'S ON!!!

16-Jan-15
Send my email in.I hope some of you did the same.Unless your not for the change of course,lol

29-Jan-15
Guess it didn;t help this time. No overlap with the last week of archery deer.

However there is STILL an overlap with the first week of rifle deer in 3A,3B,3C and 3D!

So they want more bear killed in those Units, just not with a bow- makes no sense to me!

29-Jan-15
Was it even brought up???

30-Jan-15
I don;t know Ed. I just got this from the proposed seasons and bag limits in the news release.

31-Jan-15
I agree Rut, it really makes no sense.There are spots with a lot of bear I can't take my drive gang into during rifle due to safety issues.These are the bears the GC complains about. I also noticed nothing mentioned about it when looking at press release

01-Feb-15
The big supporter of that proposal was Martone. He's gone.

Questions about putting more bowhunters into the woods that week and increasing the archery buck kill, plus POSSIBLE 900 bears killed by bowhunters and, OMG, HOW DO WE CHECK THOSE BEARS!!!!!!!

The absolute horror if we don't check EVERY bear killed in this state, like the population will crash and become extinct in the next 5 years......

At a meeting yesterday, the PA Trappers are STILL trying to get the PGC to define a distance from open bait that a trap can be placed. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR YEARS!!!

This state is just SO backwards, and sportsman spend YEARS trying to get something so simple changed. Truly sad how we have to fight the anti's, commissioners, PGC staff, and the legislature.

And to be honest, if we have to fight our own "people", have they also become, in a sense, anti's???

Think about it.

01-Feb-15
And the leashed tracking dog bill STILL hasn't passed........

01-Feb-15
Brad, you'll never get so many folks to agree on what is best or right for all, and will always have dissenting opinions. Hunters with views, wants, or needs that oppose yours, or the majority, or the powers to be, etc. shouldn't be so quickly named as 'anti-hunters', imo. That in itself is very divisive.

01-Feb-15
Leashed tracking dog? It's only been around since about 2000. They'll get to it, maybe 2035-2040 or so?

Let's not rush into this stuff.

04-Feb-15
Yeah, it took what............................25 years to get a bear archery season?! ;-)

04-Feb-15
And what? Just 45 years to get a bow season after bows became legal weapons?

Moral? Common sense says, don't expect sensibility too soon.

05-Feb-15
Wow so if my views and opinions don't align with the majority I'm now coined an anti?

05-Feb-15
I always thought of you as ....... Hmmmmmm different? :)

05-Feb-15
Yeah Chuck..................ANTI-social! ;-)

• Sitka Gear