pav 28-Jan-15
pav 28-Jan-15
pav 28-Jan-15
Foodplot 28-Jan-15
RANGER765 28-Jan-15
pav 29-Jan-15
sticksender 29-Jan-15
10-Jan-15
---News Flash, Cronic Wasting Disease found in Ohio. Reported by local news channel. Guess what type of "operation" it was discovered in.--Coming to a herd near you?---Sad, indeed----

10-Jan-15
Yep, also got picture of a road kill deer carcass that was not tested yesterday at the ATA show in Indy from Wisconsin. Bet ya wont see that in the papers. An the guy said it was getting a little ripe and was gonna take it to the dumpster. But I do know the DNR was stuttering on the phone. So Dont think your deer farms are the culprits.

10-Jan-15
Gee, I wonder which post above was made by a deer farmer? :^)

10-Jan-15
Gee, after a couple hundred thousand people walked by and seen it a deer farmer had to get authorities there. It crap like that that needs to be addressed. And Paul your buddy Gene Hopkins just happened to walk by me as we got off the phone with the DNR and board of animal heath. Maybe he can give you a little more insight of how this could of happened.

11-Jan-15
"Yep, also got picture of a road kill deer carcass that was not tested yesterday at the ATA show in Indy from Wisconsin."

Sorry, but I can't make heads or tails what you said in that sentence. Reads like...you got a picture of a Wisconsin road kill while at the ATA show in Indy (that makes no sense though)? Or did a deer from Wisconsin (ear tagged I assume) get killed on an Indiana highway? If the latter, did that animal migrate here or escape from behind a fence?

You people (deer farmers) have let the cat out of the bag in several states. Once in the wild, some natural migration is inevitable. But that is not a good excuse to allow your industry to continue to speed up the process using trucks. At least that dead deer CAN be tested. The live animals you move around in trucks are a roll of the dice.

11-Jan-15
Lets make this easy...... A deer carcass was picked up off the road in Wisconsin. The county the carcass was picked up is an endemic (60% positive) and then put in a vehicle and carried to Indiana. When we confronted him about the carcass he had no idea there was even a test for CWD. Now this is deer hunter from Wisconsin that did not know there was a test for CWD.... Really.. Uh must be a big problem up there then. Then the guy told us the carcass was starting to get a little ripe and was gonna take it to the dumpster..... Really.. How often does this kind of stuff happen? And as for a live test. There is a test that is 98% accurate and they wanted more samples tested for the USDA. The farm in Iowa they depopulated there was over 400 live samples taken on live animals, but when they get back to the lab the government made them stop all there testing.... Wonder why??

17-Jan-15
ieven when you made it easy I do not know what the heck you are saying.

18-Jan-15
How often does this happen? Seriously?

A guy picks up a roadkill in Wisconsin...from an endemic area... and brings it back to Indiana? Then, somehow this is discovered and reported by deer farmers? This story has "setup" written all over it!

21-Jan-15
Happens all the time in IL. Taking whole deer back across state lines.Just watch the boarders at gun season.

24-Jan-15
Understood Foodplot...and there are laws in place for hunters to transport those deer...especially when coming from CWD endemic areas.

But the scenario above, as reported by a deer farmer, didn't likely happen without some planning.

24-Jan-15
Pav, if there was any planning at all then why did the guy panic when he was told he could be in a lot of trouble. The board of animal health and dnr was stuttering when they were on the phone. The animal was confiscated a short time after the call. This kind of stuff happens all the time, and how many thousands of people walked by that booth and never thought twice about it.

25-Jan-15
Does not matter what i think. Do I care what you do with your property...nope. And you should not worry about mine. Does it personally effect you... Nope. And also I have NEVER seen an animal killed in a can, but I have seen a cow take a bolt to the head that was pretty close to a can. Should they shut that down? I guess that is considered ok since you do not own that animal.. Well guess what you don't own the animals in preserves either.

26-Jan-15
Let's be clear, I don't care how many deer you raise and slaughter on YOUR property! Just raise them on YOUR property and keep them in YOUR pens until they are dead and can be tested for CWD before leaving YOUR property.

Don't get me wrong, what you do for profit absolutely turns my stomach. But if you can 100% confine such practices to YOUR property...meaning another live deer never enters or leaves YOUR property...you won't hear any more from me.

Take care of business on YOUR property without putting MY property at risk!

Fair enough?

26-Jan-15
Pav, my deer are on my property and stay on my property. And every deer that dies on my property I pay out of my own pocket for a CWD test, But the last time I checked YOU do not own ANY property around me. And when you can PROVE that my deer are hurting YOUR property you will not hear from me again...fair enough?

26-Jan-15

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Ranger765 - "my deer are on my property and stay on my property."

Pardon my skepticism....

We're done talking.

27-Jan-15
As long as it is legal.A lot less deer are moved than dead deer moving all over the country in the back of pickup trucks.

28-Jan-15
Foodplot (i.e. another deer farmer) - "A lot less deer are moved than dead deer moving all over the country in the back of pickup trucks."

Yet the majority of 22 CWD positive states have individually traced and verified the origin of this disease to deer farms/high fence shooting pens.

If you are so concerned about what hunters are moving around in the back of their trucks....then STOP creating all these damned CWD endemic areas by moving live animals (which cannot be verified CWD free) around the country on your trailers!

28-Jan-15

pav's Link
For anyone following this thread that has not read "Buck Fever", here is the link.

"Trophy deer industry linked to disease, costs taxpayers millions."

"The pursuit of deer bred for enormous antlers and shot in hunting pens is compromising our ethics and laws, and comes with growing risk and costs."

28-Jan-15

pav's Link
Also, here is a link to a follow up story written in the wake of the latest discovery in Ohio.

28-Jan-15
You are not worth my time.

28-Jan-15
Pav, "Buck Fever" was done by an idiot and I repeat an idiot Ryan Sabalow that come to my farm with one agenda. But when he was there he was constantly saying "How cool is this". He does not make it past the first sentence in his lie where he says he is a life long deer hunter, but he has never killed a whitetail, the clown had just moved to indiana from California, and he is a duck hunter. And as for CWD it is a broken record... If you and Dnr would test EVERYONE of your deer killed then you would have an argument, but until then... Just like I have said before Indiana does not want to find it, but they know its here already... Straight from the Boah. Fact is its not about diseases or a fence its you think we make a ton of money of these deer just like sabalow lies about and thats a complete lie!!

29-Jan-15
Foodplot - "You are not worth my time."

Understood, after all...no money to be made here.

29-Jan-15
I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to this issue, but thanks to ranger & foodplot for keeping this thread at the top. That has certainly put the debate front and center on my radar. Now I'll be writing some letters and making some calls.

Gotta agree with pav on these issues. In the grand scheme of things, for the tiny economic impact the deer farmers might add to the state's economy, they bring far too much risk.

The economic benefits brought in by legitimate deer hunting are enormous by comparison. It doesn't take an economics major to figure that out.

Which leads to the question....should you let one rotting apple spoil the whole basket, or do you grab the bad one and toss it into the garbage before that can happen?

• Sitka Gear