Naz 31-Jan-15
TrophyGameTags 01-Feb-15
TrophyGameTags 01-Feb-15
Cheesehead Mike 02-Feb-15
Turkeyhunter 08-Feb-15
Turkeyhunter 08-Feb-15
Turkeyhunter 08-Feb-15
13-Jan-15
The only cameras i have used and own are Moultries and they work like a charm. They are inexpensive and easy to set-up and use! My dad uses Spy Points and he likes them but he also likes my Moultires. Both are good cameras for a affordable price.

13-Jan-15
I've used trail cams since the first prototypes of Cuddebacks were available and had no really bad experiences with any of five brands I've tried (though the cheap Stealthcam won in a bucket raffle last fall ranks at the bottom due to more blurred shots than normal, graininess and goes IR a half-hour before my other cams).

In the early days, it was just seeing deer and other wildlife, no matter how sharp the image. Today I prefer a better image and am glad to see higher resolution cams coming out for '15. Though I prefer the blackout types in hunt areas now, I still like night flash for the best-looking images.

13-Jan-15
Does anyone have any experience with the cams that send a pic to your email/phone? I know most run on ATT, we get excellent ATT coverage on our land almost everywhere. For me a camera like this would be great for near bedding or areas you don't want to invade. But also save a lot of money not having to drive to the property 80 miles one way.

13-Jan-15
I almost think there is no one best cam. I have had Stealth, Moultrie, Bushnell and Primos. The I40 Moultrie was my favorite for a long time but they eventually had display problems. My first Bushnell got replaced 3 times under warranty. The Primos had an issue but I think it is fixed after a firmware update. I had the Stealth cam 35mm film cam and it was great but long gone. So, sometimes you get a good one and others, not so much.

I heard a lot recently about the Stealth G42 No Glo. I bought one and the deer don't react like they do with IR or white flash. They just don't see the No Glo. Only issue is this cam uses a lot of battery. For Christmas my wife wanted to buy me a new cam to replace one of my failing I40's. I almost said the G42 but since my Bushnell has worked well for two years I decided on a No Glo version Bushnell sells. I think it's a Bushnell HD. One new feature many of the new cams have is sound.... I do video more than just a pic and for some reason I like the sound. Probably because I am an absentee owner of my hunting land. I just like it.

Bill

13-Jan-15
Wild Game Innovations have been the best for me too for all the reasons RC stated.

Have probably used them all but for the money WGI for me.

You couldn't sell me a Cuddyback at any price (I have one) due to the awful customer service I have been hearing about for years.

13-Jan-15
Moultie.

I have four of them out year-round. Great battery life and decent picture resolution.

Check Amazon for competitive pricing. Last time I looked they had some factory refurbished Moultries on sale with a new factory warranty. Very affordable.

13-Jan-15
I would never buy anything with a wgi logo on it. Bunch of fools and I'm not supporting them.

13-Jan-15
I agree with kylet on that. I can't stand any of them or their products. I heard some real horror stories about their trail cameras from a couple years ago but I'm guessing they've found a different supplier for them now, if you didn't know they don't actually make anything but only source it.

I use Moultree and they work very good for me but I'm not picky about picture quality as long as I can see how big the deer is I'm happy. I have a whole bunch of the M80's and just picked up one of the panoramic ones but haven't put it out yet.

13-Jan-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Only picture I could lay my hands on. From November 25th of last year.

The Moultries take a real beating and keep on ticking...

13-Jan-15
My Moultrie cameras are junk. I have had to reset both at least a dozen times this year and have only had them a year. Both are in the garage right now. Moultrie's answer to customer service, we can sell you the latest version. Are they OOTFM?

13-Jan-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Knock on wood, my Moultrie M-80s have been working for years with no issues, even well below zero. Here's a cedar-muncher from last year's tough winter. Nice clarity at night unless they're moving quick.

13-Jan-15

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Daytime shot, same spot. They really hammered cut cedar last year. This year, not so much.

13-Jan-15
Naz now I see why the treehuggers think the deer are overbrowsing.

13-Jan-15
A lot of folks seem to think they only eat corn, soybeans, hay, clover and turnips! ;)

13-Jan-15
Cuddeback Capture for colored night time photos. Browning cameras for videos and battery life.

14-Jan-15

One of my favorite trail cam pics.

Left a cam in one location on a game trail for a year to monitor what came thru...

14-Jan-15
Reconyx. I have many cuddebacks which are now decoys.

14-Jan-15
Bushnell does a good job for a decent price. Reconyx may be "the best" but you may as well hang your checkbook on the tree for what they cost.

14-Jan-15

deadeye's embedded Photo
deadeye's embedded Photo
-1 to WGI- for me the unit was way to loud and the trigger speed was less than advertised. sold mine on craigs list weeks after testing -1 to primos as well for me. the only truth about the truth cam is its loud clunk and crappy pics!

+1 to Moultrie.

I have 4 of them currently running 365 days a year. I will put the pros and cons of each model.

Moultrie: D-55IR- Older cam, had it for a long time. Use it for food plots and other slow traffic areas.

Pros- Cheap as they are now old, decent flash Cons- Slow trigger speed, cold temps(below -10º)black pics or black for the first pic if you have it on burst mode.

Moultrie: D-55IRXT x 2- Somewhat older cam, decent trigger speed, can use quartering a trail and not miss pics

Pros- features fast burst mode of 3,4,5 pics at a time or standard burst of 3 pics over a few seconds. Can be used in plot mode, as well as hybrid plot mode. Cons- Sometimes the flash too bright for close position setups, however this is a pro when you are shooting in an open area.

Moultrie: 990i - My newest cam, small, def my favorite. features pressure,temp,date,time and cam name on info bar.

Pros- Lightning fast trigger speeds.Wide screen pics that look great.5 sec delay so you never miss a pic. Cross trail setup on burst mode will get your first pic of only the deers nose on either video or pics. HD video with sound, Viewing screen to check the card in the field. Plot mode, as well as hybrid plot which will take plot vids and if something triggers the cam, it takes pics at the same time. Bolt mount on bottom and back for allowing you to use a mounting system at any angle.

Cons- my only issue with this camera is the external battery port. You have to unplug the unit to open the door. My other moultries are not this way. Its annoying, however it would not prevent me from buying another one.

I think that is all I have on the pros and cons right now..if I think of more I will add additional info.

This first pic is from the 990i on a day shot.

14-Jan-15

deadeye's embedded Photo
deadeye's embedded Photo
Here is a night shot from my older D55

14-Jan-15

deadeye's embedded Photo
deadeye's embedded Photo
Here is a day shot from the D55irXT

14-Jan-15
I dont want to flood this thread with any more pics..if you want to see a different shot from any of my cams, just ask..I have video as well from all cams if anyone wants to see that.

14-Jan-15
Nice, informative post deadeye. Good to see someone still hunts small game, too!

14-Jan-15

Turkeyhunter's Link
Deadeye...

Have you done much with the video feature on your Moultrie cams?

I have a couple of D55-IR Game Spy-5 cams that are still going strong.

Last winter/spring I experimented with the video feature.

Video footage of all sorts of deer. Wouldn't you know it I had a gobbler strut for the camera. What are the odds.

14-Jan-15
Reconyx are the best but if your hunting an area where a cam could be stolen then your best to try something cheaper like a Moultrie. I have had a lot of different cameras and think for the money Moultrie has the best battery life, trigger speed, functions, and value. You hear of problems with nearly all the cameras so you don't always get what you pay for or what is advertised.

I have 5 Moultrie M-80XDs and 1 Moultrie M-990. All work very well and I have received 10s of thousands of pictures off each one of them without any problems.

15-Jan-15
@Turkeyhunter- Nice strutter video! That was a perfect setup!

Last year for spring turkey I had all 3 cams running in plot mode watching the field all day and I ended up getting some strutters on camera, however I dont have a actual video setting capture of any strutters. Going to try and get some video this year though with my 990i as it also includes sound on the videos which I think for spring turkey should be pretty cool getting some strutting and gobbles on video.

I also will be trying a new setup by hanging some cams on video mode around me so that if a gobbler comes in I might get the shot on video. Just using a fast delay and hoping for the best.

16-Jan-15
Am not sure, but I know whatever the "best" (highest resolution) is; can check if needed but that would be what I do on all cams. I currently don't have any better than 8-10 mp, but if/when I break down and buy one of the newer high-rez versions, might be able to scale back the quality so the images aren't all so big …. then again they're easy to erase and just save the best ones.

16-Jan-15
How about Browning or Covert? Anyone have any experience with them?

16-Jan-15
for the money browning strike force is the way to go. Great pics both day and night and good battery life. I have moultree, covert and cuddeback and by far the best has been the browning IMO

17-Jan-15
Do you have the Strike Force Mini or Sub-Micro or? Would be interested in seeing a day/night sample pix, too if you could.

17-Jan-15
2004 original flash cuddeback... paid like 400 bucks for it at Gander...but it still takes excellent pics today.. I have had a bunch of Cuddeback since with not near the luck as the original. In fact they all sit in the cabinet..quality in all cams suck... now it is a price war... who can wrap up the biggest POS and market it on a nerdy TV show...idiots just keep buying and buying...if that's the case why produce quality? ?? IMHO...NONE are worth their weight in crap...I prefer scouting myself as opposed to letting a camera find a deer for me.

18-Jan-15

Sure, it's been warmer this weekend but here are some deer in the colder weather of a week ago.

You can see the vapor from their exhalation and in the last photo someone has a frosty mustache.

18-Jan-15

18-Jan-15

20-Jan-15
I agree with above, Reconyx cameras are the best. A friend has one, pretty impressive. I can't swing the price. I would rather have 10 of the others out than 2 Reconyx. Plus, if one of my $100 ones is stolen I don't cry as much.

I won't pay over $100 for a trail camera. Even the good ones you can find on sale (except Reconyx). I got my Brownings, last year, for less than half price with an 8 mb card included.

I have 8 cameras out, here is my report:

(2) Moultrie IR55xt: Battery life is good. Daytime photos are fine. Night time IR photos, not so good. The IR photos are blurry if there is any movement in the animal. Slow trigger speed.

(2) Browning Special Ops (black out): Battery life is awesome. Daytime photos are fine. Night time black out photos, not so good. The night photos are blurry if there is any movement in the animal. Trigger speed is good.

(2) CuddeBack Ambush IR: Battery life is good. Daytime photos are Awesome. Night time IR photos, are okay, best of the IR/black out cameras that I have. The IR photos are blurry if there is movement in the animal, again not as bad as the others I own. Super fast trigger speed.

(2) CuddeBack Capture (white flash) Battery life is good. Daytime photos are Awesome. Night time flash photos are AWESOME! Super fast trigger speed.

(1) WildGame 7MP, IR: I haven't used yet. My experiences with Wildgame is they are junk so my hopes for this one aren't high. I got it cheap at Menards, $50.

I'm a CuddeBack fan. By far, the best camera I've ever owned is the CuddeBack Capture with white flash. The second best is the CuddeBack Capture IR. Like others, I've had issues with their customer service, but this past fall I traded in an old camera for a new one and it went super smooth and easy.

These are my experiences with the above cams. BC

20-Jan-15
Bow Crazy,

Turn your Browning cameras to 10 second video clips and your night time action will be clear and with sound. My cameras are still running on the AA batteries from Sept.

Agreed that CuddeBack Captures take the best night time still photos in color.

20-Jan-15
Thanks JackPine, I will do that. Thanks! One set of batteries is all that I use from July to now with my Brownings. I have to say, with the Browning, the trigger range is amazing. In the summer I was picking up movement from 90 feet away, if not more. I do like the my Brownings and the price I paid for them was awesome as well. I would buy again. BC

21-Jan-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I have several Wild Game Innovations cameras that I bought either on closeout at Walmart or Menards. Most are the old white flash and one is a newer infrared. In my experience the WGI's take good daytime photos and decent (color) night photos... that is when they decide to actually take photos. I've tested them side by side with other cameras so I know what they are missing. They're supposed to take 3 shot bursts but they usually only take 1, the flash is very inconsistent and fails to fire very often and battery consumption is very bad.

I would put the WGI cameras that I have experience with in the "junk" category.

I have several brands of cameras: Stealth, Wildview, Spypoint, Primos, Bushnell (got stolen), Moultrie and Browning.

I have two of the Moultrie IR55xt and I agree with BC that they are just okay.

I've had very good luck with a Primos Ultra 46 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another; the new one got very good reviews.

My favorite camera is the Browning Strike Force BTC-5 that I bought last fall. It's very small and compact. Daytime photos are very good, night photos are good enough and the trigger speed is fantastic.

Here's a photo of a running buck that the camera picked up as he ran through.

21-Jan-15

Here's a buck that the camera captured as he was still entering the field of view...

21-Jan-15

21-Jan-15

Moultrie IR55xt

21-Jan-15

Here's the Browning again at -13 degrees catching a fox on the prowl

21-Jan-15

Primos with a cool photo of a fox about to attack a hen turkey...

21-Jan-15

Moultrie IR55xt at night

21-Jan-15

These guys hung around long enough to actually trip the shutter on the WGI camera...

21-Jan-15

Spypoint

21-Jan-15

Nightime Spypoint

21-Jan-15

How big is this sow?

21-Jan-15

Wildview Black

21-Jan-15

Wildview Black daytime...

21-Jan-15

The old WGI white flash with the color night photos...

21-Jan-15
"Try the new WGI cams. I think you will find them much improved."

Yeah, because it makes total sense to give the company that previously made junk more money to see if they are still making junk.

24-Jan-15

24-Jan-15

Say what you will about these cheap Moultrie trail cameras.

I think they take nice pics under good conditions.

I like the lighting of these shots in particular. Same day - two different locations...

24-Jan-15

25-Jan-15
Is is really 59 degrees? My Moultrie m 100 has been saying 68 degrees all winter.lol. I like the m990 black flash so far.

25-Jan-15
Yeah. The only thing accurate for sure is the date and time.

Maybe because it's in direct sunlight the reading is skewed?

31-Jan-15
that is a BIG sow. close to 300 for sure.

31-Jan-15
I could be wrong but sure looks 400+ live to me!

01-Feb-15

TrophyGameTags's Link
I've been using a bushnell trophy cam for years. The only problem I have with it is that it will trigger over and over on it's own when the temps are below zero. I take only videos now also, because they are so much better than just pictures, imo.

01-Feb-15

TrophyGameTags's Link
Here's a video of a bunch of different clips mended together.

02-Feb-15

Yeah, that big sow has been around for a long time and she is quite prolific...

08-Feb-15

Purely by happenstance this camera was placed in such a way that it has been regularly photographing the passage of the sun across the sky.

Three pics chronicling the movement of the sun. Check the time stamp for the period covered as the shadows lengthen...

08-Feb-15

08-Feb-15

Only thing missing is a big deer...

• Sitka Gear