bigbuckbob 16-Jan-15
spike78 16-Jan-15
tobywon 16-Jan-15
Fletch 16-Jan-15
spike78 16-Jan-15
13-Jan-15

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
been hearing a lot of these f@#kers around...one even made it in the local Shelton paper..lol

13-Jan-15
5:37 that's shooting hours on the 28th.

13-Jan-15
That is one big yote!!! I hope you shoot that deer killin machine

13-Jan-15
Wow dude that thing is big V shoot the dirty bastard

14-Jan-15
Its breeding season he just left the gym!!

14-Jan-15
Fur prices are higher than the past now is a great time to shoot and skin .Ypu might be able to get some new gear with all the extra cash.

14-Jan-15
If you want to do some good damage to the coyote population,Shoot them when the liters are born.It takes 2 parents to raise a liter,The new born liter will die off.They need to have 1 parent out hunting while the other stays in the den with pups.

14-Jan-15
hs ,theres a joke in that statement and im really tempted..lol

14-Jan-15
Lmao

15-Jan-15
Thats what she said

15-Jan-15
LMAO. I typed thats what she said but my phone died before I hit send.

15-Jan-15
you dirty guys you....i was thinking of the song by frank zappa, dynamo hum...lol..

15-Jan-15
I have had as many as 5 coyotes on camera at one time. With the camera set up since mid November there has been one picture of deer (a lone spike) and 15 different days of coyotes including a few days in mid afternoon. The predator/prey ratio does not favor "The Tribe of the Two Legged".

15-Jan-15
nice beaner shot

16-Jan-15
You guys should do a predator contest. Pat do you hunt them in CT too? If you guys havent tried calling give it a try its a blast. Had two run in almost full bore to me and one ran by me at about 6 feet, a scoped rifle was not the right choice for that encounter I couldnt even hit one.

16-Jan-15
Question

what's a good weapon for coyotes? The only gun I only is a shotgun for turkey hunting, so I was thinking double 00 buckshot?? Slugs? Bow?

Is mornings and evening hunts the best? I know nothing about the process.

16-Jan-15
Bbb, shotgun is great for northeast thicker woods infact i could have had two down yesterday if i brought it instead of rifle. I use Dead Coyote load for shotgun but if you want cheaper ammo use 000 buckshot. The dead coyote load has about 50 pellets in it. I have more luck in the evening but morning is good too.

16-Jan-15
BBB before you do anything illegal again (lol), see below since I know you mainly hunt State Land. Other regs apply so you would need to read further in regs.

Shotguns - The possession of shotgun ammunition larger or heavier than #2 shot is prohibited on state-owned lands, state-leased lands, and Permit-Required Hunting Areas,at all times, and is prohibited on private lands during the Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Deer Season (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions).

16-Jan-15
tobywon

thanks for the tip, and I already started reading the field guide for yotes to make sure I understand the regs.

I just don't know how to hunt them, so rather than google it, I know there are guys here who KNOW how to do it right.

16-Jan-15
Damn thats worse then MA, here we cannot use buckshot for coyote so I use dead coyote. I guess that leaves out shotguns better get a rifle BBB. Who knows what kind you can use there?

16-Jan-15
Spike78, rifle is no good either on state land, limited to rimfire only.

Understood BBB, I called in 3 last year on state land with a rabbit distress call and only had the .22LR. They came in on a dead run then stopped for no apparent reason (wind was good, didnt see me. They were probably waiting for movement). I gave another soft call and they hung back in the brush a bit too far away for a shot (I know some would say to throw lead at them, but thats not me). Once out of sight, I called again and 1 returned but didnt commit. If I had a larger caliber rifle it would have been a different story, but not allowed on state land. Very neat experience, even saw a bobcat as well that day.

A caller with movement may be better with shotgun to get them at close range since they tend to rush in on it, but no chance doing that with a.22LR so I try more stealth. Private land is a different story.

16-Jan-15
I'm not sure of the regulations in CT, but I know a lot of guys in popular coyote hunting states will bring both a rifle and a shotgun out with them. Or have a guy set up further from the call with a rifle and the guy closer to the call/decoy manning the shotgun.

16-Jan-15
So pretty much they make it impossible to hunt coyotes in CT. In MA they allow Dead Coyote which is size T shot for yotes but illegal for fox and bobcat, you must use smaller size shot for them, but you can blast a fox or bobcat with a 300 win mag if you want to. What kind of sense does that make?

• Sitka Gear