GAFFER1 09-Feb-15
infiniti11 10-Feb-15
CurveBow 23-Feb-15
Trial153 25-Feb-15
upstatearcher 25-Feb-15
deerman406 04-Jun-15
Wapiti Chaser 09-Jun-15
13-Jan-15
New Regulations are being proposed http://www.outdoorsnews.com/January-2015/Deer-regs-changes-in-motion/

14-Jan-15
What a bunch a bad proposals in there . I would support a 1 buck rule, shortened gun seasons or a male deer needs a buck tag, even a button buck. I am against antler restrictions for a number of reasons. First and foremost is that a high percentage of 1.5 year old bucks are 5,6,7 and 8 points. Many of the deer I always thought were 2.5 are actually 1.5. I've learned a lot hanging out with one of the guys who runs a check station. It makes no sense to kill young deer with good genetics and pass older deer with poor genetics. I passed five 1.5 year old bucks this year that had 3 or more on one side. We need to pass young bucks by choice. Not by law.

The other reason I don't like them is that in some areas you can't get doe tags or specific properties can't handle doe harvests. In those cases are we to tell a person that had limited time to hunt, that they can't shoot a deer. I don't want to alienate other hunters.

On my properties we have been hammering does and passing young bucks. Guests that visit me can take whatever they want but my family ususlly takes 3.5 bucks at the youngest. These are not large properties and I know some get shot on neighboring properties but many survive. This year I didn't get much time to hunt but I had 3 close encounters with 3 different bucks over 130" and my father took a 150". I guess 7 or so years of management has started to pay off.

14-Jan-15
I agree with one buck per season but how about some more Doe tags. I own just under 40 acres and cannot shoot a Doe due to none being issued but I see them every time I am out.

Being an out of state hunter and land owner these restrictions on Does has been keeping me and my money out of NY.

STM.

14-Jan-15
Its likely that any changes will be about as popular (not!) as the infamous change from the Monday opener to Saturday!

I for one like the option to tag 2 bucks. While I love bowhunting, I also love gun hunting. Especially snow tracking in the Adirondacks. A one buck rule will really mess things up. For the record, I have not killed a NYS buck in more than 2 years with any weapon and have liely passed shot opportunities on over 20 bucks, both bow & gun. Further, it has been about a decade since I did in fact tag bucks with both bow & gun.

I am in favor of shorter seasons. The gun opener South should be moved at least a week later to get the bucks out of peak rut. The Northern zone season should be shortened at the tail end so that yarded bucks don't get hammered as much. Some years they migrate as much as 2 weeks before the end of the season. The high concentrations make them easier targets, especially for hunters that "drive" them from posted lands onto state land using unarmed drivers (trespassers).

Antler restrictions, hmmm, I'm on the fence. I personally have practiced this for a long time. From what I've read, it does improve the quality of the bucks. Plus, for gun hunters, they have to have more study time of the animal to ensure that its legal, instead of buck - BANG!

I question the motivation of the changes as the article almost makes it sound like its change for changes sake....

Just my $.02, I'm sure that some will disagree while others agree....

>>>>-------->

14-Jan-15
I like the option of tagging 2 bucks as well. Until last year I could get 8 buck tags so I'm pumped they dropped it to 2. I often take the first 3.5+ buck that gives me a shot and then hold out for an even better one. Many years ive taken 2 bucks that were 4.5 or older. If it came down to a solution to increase bucks that make it, is take a reduction in tags over antler restrictions. I still think if it's a male deer it's your buck tag would do a lot. It would make guys choose real carefully before dropping a fawn.

15-Jan-15
Anything has to be better then this screwed up season structure we have now! I'm ok with antler restrictions but not 100% for the 1 buck rule. I just hoe whatever they settle on increases buck sightings and size/age structure of bucks. We all look elsewhere for big bucks, maybe now we can kill them here.

17-Jan-15
Albany — New York’s deer hunters can expect to see some regulations changes in 2015 that will focus on the protection of yearling bucks.

How that is accomplished remains to be seen, as DEC whitetail biologists move forward with a “Structured Decision-Making” process that includes a survey of hunters and the creation of management regions across the state that will be used in developing deer hunting regulations.

“I anticipate there will be changes,” DEC wildlife biologist Jeremy Hurst said last month as the process moved forward. “The survey presents a ‘no change’ option but I don’t suspect that will be the case.”

In September 2013 DEC officials unveiled the plan to use the decision-making process that blends whitetail management goals with hunter desires. But the challenges will be huge; although more hunters are passing on yearling bucks than ever before in New York, there remains a solid fraternity of hunters opposed to regulations changes such as mandatory antler restrictions.

Antler restrictions – three points on one side – are now in place in 11 wildlife management units in southeastern New York, but that’s just one potential option that could emerge from the process. DEC officials said those options range from mandatory antler restrictions statewide for the entire season, to:

• mandatory antler restrictions for all of the archery deer season through the first week of the firearms season. • a one-buck harvest limit for hunters. • a shortening of the firearms season by one week in the Southern Zone and two weeks in the Northern Zone. • an active promotion of voluntary antler restrictions in which hunters are urged to pass on yearling bucks. • no changes at all, maintaining deer hunting regulations as they are. That, officials say, is an unlikely outcome of the process.

And regulations may differ from one region of the state to the next. DEC is in the process of establishing “WMU aggregates” which will be used in the decision-making process.

Early indications are the Northern Zone will be comprised of two regions – one in which Deer Management Permits are available and another in which no DMPs are issued.

The Southern Zone WMU aggregates – which have not yet been revealed – are expected to be divided along the lines of southeastern, southwestern, Finger Lakes/Lake Plains, and Central New York/Mohawk Valley areas.

Wildlife management units will remain intact for the purpose of DMP allocations.

“The WMU aggregates are a necessary prerequisite for the Structured Decision-Making process,” Hurst said. “And there’s the potential for (regulations) changes in different parts of the state.”

The decision-making process got off to a slow start last year when a key element – a survey of hunters – was delayed due to a lack of a working agreement with Cornell University’s Human Dimensions

Research Unit and the retirement of DEC wildlife biometrician Ed Kautz. A contract was ultimately signed, and Kautz’s position has been filled.

The Cornell survey, designed to help determine what “tradeoffs” the state’s deer hunters are willing to make in order to boost their opportunity of harvesting a mature buck, has been completed.

The 11-page survey, which was mailed to 7,000 randomly selected big-game license holders, and noted that “depending on the action taken to protect young bucks, hunters may have to give up some freedom to shoot a buck of any size, or give up some opportunity to hunt bucks.”

DEC staff was scheduled to meet this month to move forward with the process, with reports from the decision-making process likely by the end of March.

Proposed regulatory changes would be subject to a public comment period, and Hurst indicated a series of public meetings could also be held.

The regulatory process will be under a tight deadline if DEC officials want to have any changes published in the new hunting and trapping regulations guide, which is typically printed in the summer.

Given the creation of the new WMU regions and the prospect of some major changes in deer hunting regulations, it’s likely the department will want the decision in place in time for publication in the 2015-16 guide.

17-Jan-15
I like 1 buck. ALL antlerless by DMP in a zone specific tag. Landowner tag DMP should be reduced to 10acres.....to promote antlerless harvest on private lands......and reduce the antlerless harvest on Public land. I would even support a private land public land DMP structure.....but they could never get it right or enforce it. I don't like mandatory antler restrictions unless there is a biological need. We need to stop the Pandora's box of all tags being antlerless in Muzzleloader season. 9 days of firearms would not bother me....Sat before Thanksgiving to the Sun after.......never happen though. Even if you expanded ML. Wish they would. I hope they look at ways to manipulate the deer kill , not mandate it......I don't really trust the state to dictate, mandate, or regulate.

18-Jan-15
"The 11-page survey, which was mailed to 7,000 randomly selected big-game license holders", this is what I have a problem with, it SHOULD have been given to EVERYONE that bought a license, not mailed out randomly- if I don't at least have a say in the rules, I don't play by them. Also totally agree with the last line of the poster above me.

19-Jan-15
that not a valid same size (7000 ) when we have how many big game hunters... plus how did the DEC use all the meetings in the last 10 years with hunters, have they made the state a better hunting place.

Can not even get them to allow hunting yotes all year round.

I do support one buck rule, take it with bow or gun but just one, also do like the deer must have 3 points on one side or more, let the little bucks grow up.

02-Feb-15
Antler restrictions?The hillbillies around here don't care about antlers.They hunt for food.They will shoot a spike or whatever regardless of antler restrictions.Keep pushing them and they will quit buying a license and hunt when ever they need food.

04-Feb-15
So under the proposed rule change if I shoot a buck during the bow season I can't hunt with my sons during the gun season because I'll be tagged out. sweet. Guess I'll have to give up the bow. Wish I did not buy a life time license

04-Feb-15
Sounds good to me....

05-Feb-15
take one buck only, that a great idea...do not care what you use but one only....

06-Feb-15
One buck rule is unnecessary when coupled with antler restrictions and growing deer populations on the private lands in WNY. NY is a big state and one size isn't going to fit all. Big woods of the ADKs need to be managed very differently than the farm country of the lake plains.

06-Feb-15
Very few hunters get two NYS bucks every year. How many hunters do you know that do? Yet it affords those of us who take a buck in archery, not only a chance to really be choosey during the gun season but a tremendous amount of even more time in the woods hunting.

Guys who want a one buck rule think it will be easier for them to get a buck since Joe Hunter over the hill can now only shoot one.

Pat: "Deer quality" Ha! I have hunted Pa. hard since 1971 up until a few years ago, and not just in one place. ARs has destroyed deer hunting compared to what it used to be. Only the chosen few get a buck there now. There have always been big bucks there. ARs is a code word for cutting the population.

If ARs get implemented in areas of Western NY, and guys only have a few days to hunt they are going to shoot does like never before for the freezer. Like Pa. there goes the population. Those DMU permits will not be unfilled anymore. And the DEC will be happy that the population is pared way back.

"Protect the yearling buck" what a crock. All the pressure now will be on the 2.5 and 3.5 year olds and those great yearlings that have three on a side. How will we ever get bigger deer if this self-serving AR insanity is made into law?

06-Feb-15
I agree. The guys I know in AR areas said it was great for the first few years and then all the does were killed off and little bucks left walking Almost half the 1.5 year old bucks I see have 3 on at least one side. Why put the pressure on them but let a big 3.5 year old 4 point walk....

07-Feb-15
For those of us that do not own land, and can't afford to spend tens of thousands of dollars to hunt deer these plans suck.

If you own your own chuck of land, don't let others hunt it, plant crops to feed them sure you can get nice bucks.

Can't we just go back to hunting deer without farming for them? It's the haves versus the have nots and the haves will win because they have the money.

07-Feb-15
Pat: Yes, you have your mind made up about ARs and "nobody can tell you.."

But just one thought. Is it possible that the mature bachelor group in your area took a while to pattern your improved, amended, and exponentially enhanced property into their traveling wheelhouse?

North Central Pa. has always had mature bachelor groups of bucks, long before toadie Alt and the tyrannical greed of the forest managers. When the alpha bachelor group shows up on your property, it may not be cause and effect from ARs...but cause and effect from your efforts. You are not giving yourself enough credit. Further...if ARs had not been instituted in Pa...you would be seeing more and larger bucks. Just my two scents.

07-Feb-15

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
Passing young bucks and seeing results had nothing to do with being rich. We just have to get past the " If I don't shoot, somebody else probably will" mentality and think more along the lines of "if I shoot, it has no chance of getting older" I get that not everybody wants to wait for a big buck, but a lot of that had to do with not really believing that NY can produce them. I'm still not for antler restrictions but I like to see people choose to pass on some deer. We've been doing it for years on small properties in one area. We are finally seeing the results of what made it through. So are the neighbors and they are starting to pass deer too. For me to have close encounters with multiple 125"+ bucks in one season and have my dad shoot a monster, proves with food and age NY can produce good bucks. As far as food, we just reduced the doe population to reduce competition.

07-Feb-15
This thread is a perfect example why despite livinmg in NY and owning a large piece of land. I spend almost all my deer hunting time out of state. . Between this sun board board and th Hunting NY forum I have never seen such ignorance in regards to deer management.

With the implication of some of these regs the NY DEC is not re inventing the wheel, they are just modeling states that have recently been more successful in their own management practices. Take a look at where people travel to go hunt deer, it certainly isn't NY on any large scale...there is reason for that. We keep doing the same thing and keep getting the same piss poor results.

08-Feb-15
Virtually none of the states that NY's travel to to hunt deer have AR. What many do have is locked up land because of their big buck reps that make it hard for locals to gain any reasonable access - far harder than NY where it can be a challenge. Families not even hunting their own land because of the money had from leasing to outfitters. Be careful what you wish for.

09-Feb-15
I love the discussion, just to be clear, I support DQM practices but do not support mandatory AR. To me it's just the loss of another right hunters always have had since they started regulating hunting and somehow there are still deer to hunt. Voluntary participation in DQM and AR practices are increasing and probably will continue to increase, No need to change the law. IMO

10-Feb-15
GAFF I am with you. Google the North American Conservation Model......it has supported the expansion of hunting opportunities and game populations in every state in the U.S. It supports sustainability and longevity in spite of cyclical changes is habitat, social pressure, and natural changes. What makes older animals (maybe larger antlers) more desirable is their uniqueness and rarity.......we do not place the same value on ranched Whitetails and Elk......we value wild ones. I am a land manager and practice QDM personally.....but I also understand that what is making a difference in my area is the personal decisions of my neighbors.....not SOLELY my actions. While they may be interrelated....they are not able to affect each other independently or absolutely. Likewise, I think that AR's in PA happened as much because the social pressure to practice them regardless of law has affected the age structure more than anything. In fact, I believe that the areas with greater influence to PERSONALLY affect choices are where the effect is greatest. Great debate , it will be an interesting ride.

23-Feb-15
We have gained a year. According to NY Outdoor News, DEC is waiting until 2016 to implement any changes. They cite reasons of "not enough time" to pull it off for the 2015 hunting season.

Look for announcements for regional meetings to gather "opinions". Bring popcorn; this promises to be more interesting/spirited/controversial than a TBM thread! :)

>>>>-------->

25-Feb-15
Another year down the drain. Only good thing is I am one year closer to leaving this shitty state.

I have two pieces of hunting property for sale. The sooner the better they are sold.

25-Feb-15
Where are your places for sale? What do they consist of?

04-Jun-15
Bringing back up because I know Greg(Skipmaster) and the area he hunts may have 1.5 year old bucks that are 6,7 and 8 points but where I hunt our 1.5 year olds will be spikes and maybe a 4pt. if we are lucky. We have a 4pt. on one side rule in the bow area I hunt. Not the dec but the hunters on about 600 acres. It helps but what we really need is the whole county to get on board with that. The NY DEC sucks at managing its deer herds no if ands or buts! Shawn

09-Jun-15
Shawn. Bob Brown here how are you ?

• Sitka Gear