Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Doug 16-Jan-15
Doug 16-Jan-15
Two Feathers 16-Jan-15
Jeff in MN 17-Jan-15
16-Jan-15

Doug's Link
This pictorial has been requested a while ago and I finally got around to it. This shows how to make a antler mount using a leather/fabric cover.

I will have a flocking write up later this weekend.

16-Jan-15
http://www.mckenziesp.com/AMB-2-P11946C1919.aspx

Seems the price has gone up a lot! I bought them cheaper years ago. I bought a box full since I knew I would use them eventually.

Guess I have a new project in the future, molding my own :) I better save 1 for a mold......

16-Jan-15
Just what I needed. Thanks.

17-Jan-15

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Here is one I did quite a few years ago.

I made the shield out of particle board oak veneer that I had laying around, it worked but not as pretty as real oak board.

I made the piece that the antlers screw into out of a 2x6, picked out a piece of softer pine in a pile of scraps. First cut the outline and then cut the notch for the antlers on a band saw much like the one in the link above. From there rough in the curves with any sort of sander, I prefer an angle grinder with a really coarse grit disc on it. I prefer the tip shape at the bottom, but that's just me. Using the 2x6 material this part is a little thin so it takes a little more filling to raise the middle area than the form above would.

Then I always used sheetrock mud to make the final shape. It sands down easy for the final shape. I can see where body filler would be much stronger but I am guessing more difficult to sand.

I used velvet for covering, glued on sparingly in a few spots and nailed or stapled on the back side. There is an overlapped seam behind each antler, probably the only tricky part of this process to make it look good. I made a velvet tube for around the antler base by talking my wife into doing it. She sewed the tube inside-out and then I pulled it through itself to put the seam on the inside of the tube, then just a matter of wrapping around the base with the seam down and hand sewing it together in the back.

I have a few of these in various states of the process, when I find them I will post pics.

• Sitka Gear