Contributors to this thread:
Jeff in MN 16-Jan-15
Naz 16-Jan-15
happygolucky 16-Jan-15
Jeff in MN 16-Jan-15
happygolucky 17-Jan-15
16-Jan-15

Jeff in MN's Link
The linked article is from Wisconsin Public Radio on January 7. The Hayward newspaper just printed the same article in their paper. They repeat WPR articles all the time. Anyway, the net is, if the state can slaughter deer in CWD areas at night the tribes think they should be able to do it again too. Oh, how often the state seems to shoot itself in the foot.

A little off topic but WPR has produced a DVD of Wisconsin landmarks filmed in HD from a chopper mounted camera. It is really cool. The DVD (that also comes with a blue ray version) is on sale on their web site. They occasionally also have membership drives where they include the video with the membership. Worth checking out.

16-Jan-15
Jeff, I don't believe the state has shot deer at night for quite a few years now; however licensed private firms do in municipalities statewide, typically over bait with suppressors on firearms and shooting from elevated devices. I don't think it's fair to say the state shoots itself in the foot on this, unless you want to count allowing coyote, fox and raccoon hunting at night, which has been legal for as long as I can remember.

16-Jan-15
One would think the tribes would quit their whining now that the wolf hunt was cancelled. Their request to night hunt off reservation was started due to people being allowed to hunt wolves at night. That ability was removed due to this request which was first stopped by Judge Crabb.

16-Jan-15
Right, the night wolf hunting was a stimulator on this. Not the only one.

I was being pretty generic with the comment on the state slaughtering deer. The state allowing private firms to do it is basically the same thing. They still had the state's blessing.

17-Jan-15
The tribes will always push the envelope. If the white man gets to do it, the tribes should too even though not an apples to apples comparison. Of course it doesn't work that way the other way around. We can hunt coyotes at night but can't hunt deer at night but they should be able to hunt deer at night because we can hunt coyotes at night. Yep, makes perfect sense to me - not...

• Sitka Gear