mudflap 29-Jan-15
JayD 29-Jan-15
gobbler 29-Jan-15
WBowhunt 29-Jan-15
David Mitchell 29-Jan-15
gobbler 29-Jan-15
Babysaph 30-Jan-15
19-Jan-15
Me and my buddies were shooting our bow at a 3-D shoot yesterday and we came across a dead buck. It was a nice 10 point. Not sure how it was killed but it had a nice set of horns. (Im just not sayin antlers). One of my friends that makes knives wanted to come back and cut the horns off but I told him he might get paid a visit from the horn police. What is the law on that? Could he get in trouble for cutting off the horns to make knives because he doesn't have a tag for the deer? I assume keeping sheds are legal but what about cutting the horns off?

19-Jan-15
He can call DNR police and get a special tag for it.

19-Jan-15
good idea. I will tell him

19-Jan-15
OK. Obviously you know deer do not have HORNS. so why call them that?

19-Jan-15
Cause I always have. Most guys know what I mean.

19-Jan-15
It' a Good Ol Boys saying !

AINT IT JR ?

19-Jan-15
Yea it is Ron. "how big were the horn"?

19-Jan-15
Now you have the horn police stirred up

20-Jan-15
Sorry, I respect the game I hunt and take the time to learn their characteristics. Instead of being a lemming.

20-Jan-15
I respect the game I hunt, which is more than I can say for some of the people that hunts game. Know it all, pompous, arrogant and sometimes holier that thou. Most of the time I will take a Good Ol Boy anytime.

21-Jan-15
I hardly think calling deer antlers horns is disrespecting game. I just grew up calling them that.

21-Jan-15
J.R. is just a good ole boy, a lot of us grew up calling them deer horns. All the ol timers called them horns, if you had called them antlers, you probably wouldn't have had a chance to hunt with them, and if you did, they would have called you a "city slicker" and put you on the worst crossing they could have found. LOL

21-Jan-15
Been hunting for over 30 years and folks called them what they are. Antlers. Cows have HORNS. This good ole farm was taught the difference.

21-Jan-15
I agree Old Crow. "How big were the horns"? LOL

21-Jan-15
That was def a nice buck. Me and a couple buddy's of mine saw the buck too. It was a shame to see a deer like that not recovered. I did see the guy that sets the targets up carrying the head when we left that evening so he might be keeping it

21-Jan-15
This is comical why does it matter who calls them horns antlers or what ever? I have heard a lot of different names for different things but I'm not goin to get my bloomers in a bunch over something that don't amount to anything anyway

21-Jan-15
Until recently you all called the hills of West Virginia mountains which was incorrect because they were hills. With the recent change in height we can now call them mountains. We don't have to be political correct on everything so call them hills/ mountains or call them horns/antlers. Another thing I used to embalm now I inject. Kinda foolish when we all know what we are talking about.

21-Jan-15
It is simple. Antlers and horns are two completely different things. Have you ever heard anyone say " look at the antlers on that cow?" Nope cause any farmer can tell you cows don't have antlers.

21-Jan-15
The more precise you can be, the less confusion it will cause.

21-Jan-15
Too Much POLITICAL CORRECTNESS ! OBAMANITES !

They are Everywhere ! Even here, LOL

22-Jan-15
How true. I wouldn't call them antlers now for anything. LOl. That was a nice buck Rampagextw but now the horn police might show up at his doorstep if the right person on here reads this.

22-Jan-15
what about if you call em' headgear....? lol

22-Jan-15
JR, would you rather somebody come in the office and say " my toof hurt" , or someone say my right upper second premolar on the buccal side is hurting?

22-Jan-15
Now to further confuse the subject: Deer have antlers and cows have horns. A bull elk and bull moose have antlers not horns .A bull/cow has horns. Female elk and moose are called cows and their mates have antlers but a cow or heifers mate has horns. Bison are bulls and cows and the bulls have horns. if you look in a thesaurus for antlers you see synonyms like horn, knob, point, rack and spike. What this all means is that its January and winter is in and bow season is out so we argue about petty things.

It is kind of fun isn't it?

22-Jan-15
hey MP its time for one of the bow site add to the story story s we done in the past... if we can keep mule head out of it with his computer photos lol

22-Jan-15
What are you talking about gobbler? Isn't it called a toof? LOL. And I am impressed you know your dental anatomy.

22-Jan-15

M.P.'s embedded Photo
M.P.'s embedded Photo
It is George. This time we need to put pictures of what the characters look like

22-Jan-15
And to think we hunted with that guy! Maybe we can get JR to clean his teeth for him.

22-Jan-15
Just seems ignorant to me to intentionally call something by the wrong name. But they say ignorance is bliss. So if it makes you happy to knowingly refer to antlers incorrectly. So be it. I will send my horn police badge back to cracker jacks.

23-Jan-15
My wife told me not to say what a nice rack anymore! I am thinking if I told her to put her badge back in the cracker jack box I might just get slapped!

23-Jan-15
To me this discussion is a lot like is is supper or dinner. We all know what we are talking about with either phrase.

23-Jan-15
This is the dumbest argument yet.....Antlers, bones, horns , rack......WHO CARES.....call them what you want...

Nothing but trolls on here anymore, next thing you know we will have our very own TBM

24-Jan-15
What mountain William said.

24-Jan-15
Is it a hoof or foot?

24-Jan-15
Guess from now on better refer to them as whitetail or maybe Odocoileus virginianus so every knows exactly what ya talkin bout

26-Jan-15
Just as stupid an argument as not allowing crossbows, Does DNR do their jobs, one and done. Season opening dates, The list goes on and on. The only thing that is certain is that hunters can't agree and anything

26-Jan-15
Apples and oranges WVbowhunt, or should i say, bows to crossbows..

26-Jan-15
I don't know - I think most of us could agree that there are some in the bowhunting world who have a nice rack.

26-Jan-15
Apple's and oranges. Both are fruit Bows and crossbows. Both are Bows

All the same.

Antlers. Fall off and are regrow annually Horns. Remain attached for the life of the animal

Not the same

26-Jan-15

M.P.'s embedded Photo
M.P.'s embedded Photo
Crossbows and bows are not the same. We have gone over this time after time.

If you use a crossbow then you are not a bowhunter either. But that's MY opinion.

27-Jan-15
So by that theory M.P. if you call them Horns you are not a hunter.

Just proving the point that hunters will agree to disagree on just about everything.

27-Jan-15
I did not say they are not hunters, I said bowhunters. Most arguments on here are silly and done as jokes but I take the crossbow stuff serious .

I think its ok to say a 3 inch spike buck or a "fork horn" has antlers, horns or points? All three are fine with me. You are right about the just about everything argument. I just cant understand why anyone would argue with me because deep down you know I'm always right :)

27-Jan-15
One of the things I don't understand on here is how people take one thing and make the jump to something completely different.

By saying that a crossbow hunter is not a bowhunter, then that somehow means that if you say horns instead of antlers then you are not a hunter.

That is two completely different subjects and I can't by any stretch of logic see how one relates to the other?

27-Jan-15

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Rocky Mountain Bigantler sheep

27-Jan-15
Too funny gobbler. I have been seeing some buck rubs where deer have been antlering the trees. LOL

27-Jan-15
Ok Gobbler. Try to follow the bouncing ball.

Antlers are not horns. Apple's and oranges are both fruit. Crossbows are the same as compound bows as compound bows are the same as long/recurve bow.

If a crossbow makes one not a bowhunter, than calling antlers horns must make one not a hunter.

Got it now?

But the question still remains, does a jackalope have antlers or horns?

27-Jan-15
Pronghorns shed their horns so they are antlers? Some say they are. Ya know ,I have never seen a pic of a spike jackalope. Do all jackalope have 8pt horns?

27-Jan-15
I've seen Jackolopes with antlers and I've seen them with horns. Now I'm really confused.

27-Jan-15
Hey, we can all agree to go to the DNR meetings and sign up for HORN restrictions and a less limiting buck Quota! On top of that we can all agree to lobby for legalizing crossbow hunting during our bow season! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

OR

We can bribe the kids to sign the petition along with the grown ups that do, to reduce buck kills while possibly allowing a second buck with AR's attached! Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, one is about as stupid as the other but, only one is true. Since we were all confused about several things in this thread, I thought I'd point out the obvious while getting gobbler's goat by switching the subject like that. :^)

God Bless brothers

27-Jan-15

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Nobody is getting my goat. I'm keeping him and his HORNS.

27-Jan-15
Ha!

28-Jan-15
When I was a kid growing up, I called them horns, now I call them antlers, however I did like J.R.'s "antlering the tree! LOL We all know what everyone is talking about, I won't get my bloomers in a bunch if someone say "Look at that great set of horns on that buck" or "That's a nice buck, great set of antlers " I know what they are talking about and I'm not going to correct them. Life is to short to mince over words! Just hunt like hello and kill a Pendleton County 11 pointer or a big ole Roman nose Doe.

28-Jan-15
But what time do I show up for dinner. At noon or evening. I don't want to be late.

29-Jan-15
Historically, the term ‘keratin’ stood for all of the proteins extracted from skin modifications, such as horns, claws and hooves. Subsequently, it was realized that this keratin is actually a mixture of keratins, keratin filament-associated proteins and other proteins, such as enzymes. Keratins were then defined as certain filament-forming proteins with specific physicochemical properties and extracted from the cornified layer of the epidermis, whereas those filament-forming proteins that were extracted from the living layers of the epidermis were grouped as ‘prekeratins’ or ‘cytokeratins’. Currently, the term ‘keratin’ covers all intermediate filament-forming proteins with specific physicochemical properties and produced in any vertebrate epithelia. Similarly, the nomenclature of epithelia as cornified, keratinized or non-keratinized is based historically on the notion that only the epidermis of skin modifications such as horns, claws and hooves is cornified, that the non-modified epidermis is a keratinized stratified epithelium, and that all other stratified and non-stratified epithelia are non-keratinized epithelia. At this point in time, the concepts of keratins and of keratinized or cornified epithelia need clarification and revision concerning the structure and function of keratin and keratin filaments in various epithelia of different species, as well as of keratin genes and their modifications, in view of recent research, such as the sequencing of keratin proteins and their genes, cell culture, transfection of epithelial cells, immunohistochemistry and immunoblotting. Recently, new functions of keratins and keratin filaments in cell signaling and intracellular vesicle transport have been discovered. It is currently understood that all stratified epithelia are keratinized and that some of these keratinized stratified epithelia cornify by forming a Stratum corneum. The processes of keratinization and cornification in skin modifications are different especially with respect to the keratins that are produced. Future research in keratins will provide a better understanding of the processes of keratinization and cornification of stratified epithelia, including those of skin modifications, of the adaptability of epithelia in general, of skin diseases, and of the changes in structure and function of epithelia in the course of evolution.

29-Jan-15
well Imma start calling horns keratin. "Nice set of keratin" LOL.

29-Jan-15
lol Doc Hetticks back good to see you justin.... still " abrasive" as usual (remember that one)

29-Jan-15
I Tried growing bigger keratins my garden but the dang rabbits ate all of them before they matured.

James

29-Jan-15
a crossbow to a bow is sort of like a motorcycle to a 10 speed or mtn bike. Only time you will see a motorcycle in the Tour de France is carrying a cameraman. And I have always been pro to having a crossbow season but don't include them in bow season - I don't know maybe allow them in bow season with the rule you cannot load and cock it until the deer is in range!

29-Jan-15
Aggie, that just sounds like good ol' boy jibber-jabber to me. LOL

29-Jan-15
So then what is a recurve or long bow? A tricycle or big wheel.?

29-Jan-15
I sure hope this thread is not an indication of the quality of education in WV. :o)

29-Jan-15
This thread might make a good case for Charter Schools in WV. LOL

30-Jan-15
I am afraid it is Dave.

• Sitka Gear