TheLama 20-Jan-15
10orbetter 22-Jan-15
Badger Bucks 22-Jan-15
Naz 22-Jan-15
speedkills 22-Jan-15
20-Jan-15

arpy00's embedded Photo
arpy00's embedded Photo
Just some of the deer damage this fall on our corn field. In certain areas, three to five rows were picked clean. Needless to say...took a few more does this year.

20-Jan-15
Photo was taken mid January. Actual farm field. The stalks were picked clean by harvest time (early November). No point in running the combine through those rows. La Crosse County. We were stunned by the amount of damage...after last winter and really not seeing any more deer than normal. However, we did see more than expected during both the bow and gun season.

20-Jan-15
Wow that's a lot of questions "Howatt." Arpy, thanks for posting. That much damage is typical in our farm country even in late fall under regular harvest dates. This season, with a lot still standing, it's more or less a total loss (insurance covers it for many). Some of the farmers accept damage as they enjoy seeing and/or hunting deer. Only a few in my area get shooting permits.

20-Jan-15
Sounds like last winter (a year ago) they didn't see any more deer than normal, but after recruitment (and perhaps some adult dispersement last spring) they saw more deer than usual last fall.

20-Jan-15
Clarifying: Prior to the hunting seasons- it appeared (visual observations and trail cams) that the number of deer was about the same as previous years. We do keep tabs on what we see during the bow and gun seasons. Bow..about the same as previous years...a few more smaller bucks. Gun season...a whole lot more (doe) than we expected. Hope that clarifies it.

20-Jan-15
25% of the corn in waupaca still standing. Too wet and now many have filed insurance claims. Corn at $1.75 today, milk at $13.50. Ouch.

20-Jan-15
I left up about 2.5 acres of corn and I think the squirrels and turkeys took more than the deer until I brush hogged the corn down the deer went nuts on it.

For some reason they would not touch it while it was still on the stalk.

22-Jan-15
Coons.

22-Jan-15
Nov said" "Corn at $1.75 today, milk at $13.50"

Huh? Cash price of corn is $3.58 by me and the lowest price I see for milk is $14.50.

Milk price sucks, no doubt. But I haven't seen $1.75 corn in YEARS.

22-Jan-15
10, coons can and do a lot of corn damage. But they pull the plant down. Not seeing that in the photo.

22-Jan-15
i agree with Naz, not much coon damage evident here. looks more like a good healthy population of deer. nice to still see this around.

• Sitka Gear