WVM&M 11-Feb-15
Ron Miller 11-Feb-15
WVM&M 11-Feb-15
Bennett2012 13-Feb-15
Ron Miller 13-Feb-15
20-Jan-15

Ron Miller's embedded Photo
This is 1 of the coyotes I caught the other day, Wonder how many deer and Turkey He ate in his life? You can plainly see, He wasn't on no Diet ! I would say PLENTY of RED MEAT, wouldn't YOU ? Look at that Layer of Fat down his Back . Yea, I know, some you will say they eat fruit, mice and such, and you are right, I say--They eat Plenty of Baby Deer and Full Grown Deer This Time Of Year !

Yep, I have turned a new leaf and have been practicing QDM since the 1st of December !

God bless Ya

20-Jan-15
I'm sure you're right, Ron. I've seen local coyotes chasing adult deer on occasion.

Glad you're learning the trapping trade and beginning to catch more and more critters. I don't think I've known anyone that enjoys it more than you.

20-Jan-15
I have watched to many adult deer chase full size coyotes to think they kill too many grown deer. I watched a doe scent one that was over arise from here a couple summers ago. She tore out. the yote was coming towards the rise from the opposite direction. When she topped out she was only about 75 yards from the coyote and locked on. He turned tail and run. She was bearing down on it by the time they went out the far side f the field. A couple minutes later the doe returned to the filed and her fawns a couple hundred yards away. I never saw the coyote again. Shame too. I was hoping he get within good 243 range before she run him off. I watched that happen three different times in a couple week period that summer. Never did get one in rage before a deer would see or smell it and chase it out of the zip code.

I've see one pack (4 coyotes) of full grown coyotes pushing a big doe in Logan County about ten years ago. So, I'm sure it happens some. And I know they will definitely exploit a weakened animal. I just doubt they make a habit of it with so much easier prey to choose from and the over all great health of our deer herd.

I'm not doubting they'll regularly take fawns, weak or sick adults, or a turkey if given the opportunity. I just doubt how much success they have given they can fill their guts so much easier typically. No need to take the risk with adult deer around and not much success in taking adult turkeys in the quantities needed to survive. But, kill everyone you can. It can't do no harm. God Bless

20-Jan-15
I have heard many stories, 1 writer from Bowhunter Mag several years ago, Judd Cooney, He also worked for the Colorado DNR, guest speaker at the WVBA Banquet, He said he found too many deer, antelope and even elk cows, healthy, that were run down by coyotes and killed, I myself have seen bid dogs run down and kill healthy adult deer, believe this, if a dog thats semi tame can kill a deer, well, I will put my money on a coyote or two ! As far as turkeys, too many people call them in while turkey hunting for me to believe that they also take turkeys. I know an Old Wolfer in Michigan thats helping me learn to catch coyotes, right now the deer are in the swamps, guess where the coyotes are ? I know we dont have the snow MI does but still, They are eating Deer this time of year.

God bless ya

21-Jan-15
Not taking anything away from the predatory nature of coyotes but I think we have to remember that we are just coming off of 3 months of deer and bear seasons.

They feed off of gut piles, discarded carcasses, and wounded deer. Also in certain counties probably a bunch of bear carcasses as well.

During November and December they have an unlimited buffet.

No doubt, they take some adult deer but I think they do their most damage during fawning season. That is where QDMA comes into play. If you have a good buck/doe ratio then most does get bred around the same time thus assuring that most fawns are dropped in a shorter time frame. Dropping a bunch of fawns at once helps assure that more will make it.

Conversely , a high doe to buck ratio means breeding is spread out over a longer period of time causing fawning to be spread out over a longer time giving coyotes a longer period to hunt and get fawns..

There is a lot of biology and science involved in QDMA. It's not just about growing bigger bucks. It's about growing a healthy more balanced deer herd with better age structure that is in better balance with its habitat also

21-Jan-15
2 coyotes took a full grown doe down in someone's yard last week not to far from my place and now for first time ever I am getting pictures and videos on game camera all of a sudden on my property and it's not pups they are good size yotes so how many more is there out there that hasn't been seen yet

21-Jan-15

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I'm trying to help too

21-Jan-15
I read an article a few years ago that stated a full grown adult male coyote can kill up to 20 whitetail deer a year. Don't remember what part of the country that number came from. I'm not a coyote expert by any means but like stated above, if a dog can do it (which is most often just for kicks) then a hungry coyote surely can, and does.

21-Jan-15
That's what I'm talking about Gobbler ! Now we are talking QDM !

God bless ya

Ron Miller

22-Jan-15
wow. How do you guys kill and trap those animals. I never see em let alone kill them. I would love to have a bobcat and coyote mount for my cabin.

31-Jan-15

31-Jan-15
Man that's pretty Ron

31-Jan-15

01-Feb-15
JR, after I get thru trapping, do you want me to send you a coyote ? I will skin and dry it before sending, let me know, I always get a pic of my trapping year.

God bless ya

01-Feb-15
Ron - would love to see some tips on your trapping. I think trapping may be more efficient at getting a coyote than calling here - I see tracks all the time now but have trouble calling

01-Feb-15
Trapping is way more effective than calling coyotes.

01-Feb-15

I killed 10 Coyotes on 1 Farm {230 acres} in 1 Holler, { for you Educated guys, holler means where 2 sides of 2 different ridges or points come together } , pun intended ! I would say that's QDM ! Just the Thought of me puts them in fear ! LOL LOL

01-Feb-15
That one tore up that catch site pretty good. I'm betting that wasn't one of the ten. Or at least, he was the last of the ten :^) God Bless

01-Feb-15
JayD, I dont know a whole lot yet ! Not enough to help anyone much, I am just a 2nd season trapper.

My Wildlife Biologist said Trapping was the MOST effective way of thinning them, you can PM me, I will help what little I can,

God bless ya

02-Feb-15

Fred Richter's embedded Photo
Fred Richter's embedded Photo
Don't remember if I've posted this picture before but here's one fawn killing yote down. I arrowed him on my property this past October. Coyote numbers are increasing everywhere and in my opinion are one,if not the main reason, we are seeing fewer deer. Thanks Ron for doing your part. We all need to do everything we can to take as many coyotes out of the woods as possible. We'll never eradicate them but we sure as heck can cut down their numbers. My friend Tim Reed and myself are getting into trapping in a major way. Like Ron said, it's the best method to thin them out.

02-Feb-15
Ron has been gracious to show me a few things and I am trying like heck to catch some yotes but no luck yet. Another critter we dont think about is the raccoon. I read an article saying raccons eat an unbelievable amount of turkey eggs. I will find the article and post it. I have caught 19 coons and 2 bobcats this year, lost count of the possums. My first year out.

James

02-Feb-15

mudflap's embedded Photo
mudflap's embedded Photo
My trapping buddies. My first bobcat ever.

James

02-Feb-15
The DNR collecting is bobcat carcasses for a study those of you that are trapping them can call 304-558-2771 for info.They don't want the hide just the carcass

02-Feb-15
Nice picture mudflap. If you don't mind that I add a small critique. Next time take advantage of the sun and take the picture from the other side of them so that their shadow isn't covering the cat. That way them and the cat will be in the sun .

02-Feb-15

James, was good to meet you. I commend you, that you are taking time to share the OUTDOORS with your kids,I mean Children, LOL, KIds are Goats Right ? LOL, if more parents did this instead of giving them money and turning them loose, society would be a whole better place.

You are right, coons and possums eat a Whole lot of eggs, that's where QDM turkey comes into play ! lol

also, if I were a little better trapper you would have already caught that 1st coyote !

God bless ya

02-Feb-15
WVU is giving 20 dollar gift cards for the carcasses there doing the study

02-Feb-15
Ron, I think you are wrong. It's not QDM turkey, I think it is QTM.

I call them egg eaters. We've taken 18 coons, 2 possum, and 1 skunk off my place so far. Should save a few nests.

Ken is right about the 20 dollar gift card. We took our carcasses to the regional DNR office, then they send then to The Elkins office.

03-Feb-15
I read the article last night and it said turkeys lose up to 60% of their eggs due to predators. It was also talking about the rabies out break awhile back and how it killed off a lot of coons. It showed that turkey populations flourished during that time. Interesting stuff, never thought much of coons being that destructive.

James

03-Feb-15
coons are some of the worst

03-Feb-15

Fred R, good seeing you post again, it's been awhile, Congrats on the Coyote with Bow and arrow, I love it !

I am drying a few of my furs, finally ! LOL

03-Feb-15
Getting rid of that many coyote should save a few spikes for you Ron. LOL

04-Feb-15
Looks like some good trapping. Seems with coyotes that places either have a lot or not many.

04-Feb-15
Gobbler, That's what I was thinking, me and JR should have lots more Spikes to shoot ! LOL

04-Feb-15
That is amazing Ron.

04-Feb-15
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, I aint so Great JR, LOL, thats only a part of my catch, lol, I have to let these dry before doing some more ! I Love killing coyotes !

04-Feb-15
Don't have many pics but so far have trapped 1 coyote 1 red fox 1 mink 6 coon and 2 opossum and looking for bobcat grey fox and skunk which brings me to ask anybody have any advice on what to use as bait for skunk?

04-Feb-15

05-Feb-15
Bennett2012, check out BOB JAMESONS skunk bait, it's called GRUB STAKE. Otherwise I would use a Rotten egg as bait, I have caught them on tainted meat baits I have set for Yotes, I never used eggs because of the Skunk factor.

God bless ya

05-Feb-15
1 yote, 1 red,1 skunk, numerous coons and possums, my three bobcat limit.

06-Feb-15

Last years QDM , deer and turkey. I have done lot's better this year, I am still fleshing and drying furs and will post a pic later, my younger brother helps me and checks my traps while I am away shooting Spikes and or in Florida,

God bless

06-Feb-15
Last year was my 1st season trapping, believe this, Coyotes Are Not Easy !

06-Feb-15

Deer meat with Russ Carmans ---Cannine Call !

09-Feb-15

Bennett2012's embedded Photo
Well I got on just not colored up as pretty as that one

10-Feb-15
Nice colection of fur, especially cats.

10-Feb-15
Well I can add a rabbit and another possum to my list

11-Feb-15
Just curious Ron. How much (ballpark) will you get paid for all of the furs in the one pic with foxes, coons, coyotes, and bobcats? I'm not a trapper and just curious.

11-Feb-15
WVM&M,,,that was a pic from last year, didnt know much about fur put up---got somewhere close to 700,,,9 coyotes only brought a total of around 90 dollars, Stinkers arent hardly worth skinning for that, LOL, the coons brought good last year, so did the reds--40$ and the bobcats brought around a 100 each. I hear fur prices are way down this year, I have more fur than last but I'm looking at 2 different surgeries soon, may hold on to them and sell later if I come out alive, LOL ! If not, it wont matter anyway. I don't really trap for the money, but for the peace of mind and the thoughts of putting the Whammy on Coyotes, even though they dont bring much, just the Sheer Pleasure of seeing one in a trap on my line , Makes it all worthwhile ! I think about how The fur buyers always took advantage of the Indian and Mtn Men concerning their fur, Believe this, We still are being taken advantage of, LOL

God Bless ya

11-Feb-15
That seems to me to be a lot of money for doing what you love. One of these days i will give it a try.

13-Feb-15

Well I know this is a bow site but this thread has done went toward trapping so thought I'd share latest my latest catch considering they are hard on chickens figure they would be tuff on turkeys to so it kind of relates to QTM lol

13-Feb-15
Looks good to me----lol

• Sitka Gear