smokey 22-Jan-15
live2hunt 22-Jan-15
raspy old hen 22-Jan-15
RutNut 22-Jan-15
raspy old hen 23-Jan-15
Steve White 04-Feb-15
Jeff in MN 05-Feb-15
21-Jan-15
Well, I guess this really is a warm spell. So warm that a small bear tried to cross 63 just east of Earl and got toasted.

21-Jan-15
A buddy of mine came across fresh bear tracks while scouting some public land in Rusk county last weekend.

21-Jan-15
They are just like Raccoon's, they hibernate but not total hibernation. They will get up and move around if warm enough. Deer got to be pretty healthy looking up there? I've only seen one deer since rifle season by Eau Claire.

21-Jan-15
Wolves...

22-Jan-15
"Rut what was your buddy scouting for in Rusk county. Deer or bear? Did he find any sign? Just asking as I hunt in Rusk"

He was scouting for deer, for spots for next bow season. He said that two of the 3 spots he checked looked like they would be great rut spots. But didn't see a lot fresh sign.

22-Jan-15
I bowhunted up in the hills when I lived in Rice Lake for a few years in the late 80's. Nice country, Nice animals, and during the week, saw very, very few other hunters. I miss those days.

22-Jan-15
I bowhunted the Blue Hills over 20 years ago. Great area, and like live2hunt said, rare to see other hunters during the week. Up until a few years ago a few of my buddies still hunted the area. But the wolves pretty much wiped out their honey holes.

22-Jan-15
Black bear are not true hibernators. The only go into a deep sleep. The difference is in respiration and heart beat. It is not uncommon for bears to get up and take a look around in the winter.

22-Jan-15
The flu?

22-Jan-15
We have been bowhunting the blue hills with a friend from Bruce for the past 10 seasons. Last year we had very few tracks in the snow covered hills. Two years ago one partner saw at the very least 12 adult bears. That could be another reason for no deer activity.

22-Jan-15
Good point raspy, I shouldn't have just blamed wolves as I know the bears are thick there as well.

23-Jan-15
Camp 2 dukes, that sure is an awful lot of bear ag tags. I have never hunted bears but it is on my bucket list. I have put in for points and I might be up to 7 by now. I will have to follow up and check that out.

04-Feb-15
Just this past weekend friend of mine checked a den. When he approached the bear poked its head out to say hello. Even being a seasoned bear hunter it made him jump back a bit.

05-Feb-15
That would scare anyone. Did he require a change of underwear?

• Sitka Gear