MBMule 23-Mar-15
7273 24-Mar-15
MBMule 24-Mar-15
Adrenaline Russ 24-Mar-15
7273 24-Mar-15
7273 24-Mar-15
MBMule 24-Mar-15
22-Jan-15
Just wondering if there is an MBRC awards banquet this year. Anyone know who to send entries to? Yeh I know I'm cutting it close.

23-Jan-15
sent you a pm

22-Mar-15
Well it doesn't matter they seem to forget about paid entries anyway. Sorry blowing off steam. I've been going to this since before Morris days with or witout a entry. I've missed 4 due to holidays and this years as my family was over for my birthday. This year I had my biggest buck entered and could not make it. I was the first entery of the year and asked my cousin to get my book for me and then he phones me and says they forgot to enter me and they spelt his name wrong again for the 3rd time and then they laugh about the mistakes. Well I try to support hunting but this club is loosing it. This year had low enteries and they forget to put in a big buck spell names wrong and get scores wrong. Then I hear the worst year for photos when I seen some nice ones sent in including mine that disappeared. Thank you birthday that I couldn't go and saved me $60 and I only loose the $10 they took for my entry that went missing. Better organization is needed or people won't go. Ps I'm not the only one who has had these kind of issues, mistakes can be made but year after year is unacceptable.

22-Mar-15
Sorry about the rant I had to get it off my chest. I'm not saying it's one persons fault I just wish the club would find a better way to make sure it's got the right info. Like I said I've supported this club for over 20 yrs and mistakes happen but I seem to think it's happening more and hope it gets better in the future.

23-Mar-15
First off, thanks to all the MBRC volunteers who helped to put on the banquet this weekend. It was the first one I've been able to make it to and it won't be my last.

7273, are you volunteering for the records committee, or are you just complaining without offering a solution or offering to volunteer for the MBRC? It sounds like the guys who have graciously volunteered their time year after year are stretched thin already, and airing grievances publically like this certainly doesn't help them (or you) out one bit.

As the old saying goes, "Put up, or shut up".

Sean Buckley

24-Mar-15
I never said they don't work hard to keep it going. And I've been going many more years then u. I have put up and donated in the past and you have only been to one. Listen we have a group of 15 some who have been members so we have done our part for 20 years and it's not right for you to say shut up unless you've done your part. The club is good and needs people to help. I was told this year was going to be cancelled but they were strong enough to go for it which is good. All I am saying is on a low year like this there must be a way to make sure entries are right. So after you support the club for 19 more yrs then you might understand. It is a award night and if you are up for one you should get it is all I'm saying. It's only a piece of paper but it supports and helps hunting and the club needs to fix some issues. If no one says anything nothing will be done as I've heard this and similar stories from people who are scared to speak. It will not fix itself.

24-Mar-15
Yes, I've only been to one, but I volunteered to help for the 2015 banquet and I've already volunteered to help in 2016, in any way that I can. Rather than just stating the issues (which I'm sure they already know exist), suggest a way to fix them, or volunteer to help out. Maybe they should forward all the score sheets, entry sheets, payment receipts and official entry writeups to you before the books are printed and before awards night so that you can cross-check and proofread them all?

24-Mar-15
Thanks for the kind words Sean.

As for cancelling this year - it was discussed. Based on our expected low number of entries, we didn't think it would be worth the effort originally. Then we realized, some hunters look forward to this annual event, and we figured this year's entrants shouldn't have to wait another year to get their certificates. So, even though we knew our attendance would be down, we went ahead. Funny thing is, it's the same amount of work if 100 or 300 attend the banquet.

Things won't be perfect when you have an extremely small group of VOLUNTEERS putting things together. Because the decision to go ahead with the banquet was made later than usual, we were put under a lot more pressure to get the same work done, in shorter time....with the same small number of VOLUNTEERS.

In regards to Tim's issue, Carey made his point, and your point at the banquet to members.....we are working on correcting them, as well as a couple of others that popped up during the evening. Coming onto a public forum to 'rant' won't 'shame' us into doing a better job. None of us deliberately make mistakes. Maybe we should have our pay docked.....oh wait, we're all VOLUNTEERS.

Actually, some of us were. Reading something like this on a public forum makes some of us (I am speaking only for me here) wonder 'why?'

'Why?', because almost all of the comments we hear are positive - even if they don't come on to a public forum to show their gratitude. I've met so many great people over the 20 years of service in this club. I've scored many hunters' '1st trophies', 'largest bucks', etc. and enjoyed all the tales they've shared with me. I got to sit with someone at the banquet whose deer I score over 10 years ago. He remembered the evening and I was sorry I had forgotten some of the details of his hunt - but we got to relive it on Saturday. Oh, and by the way, their was a mistake on his entry this year, and guess what, we're going to correct it.

I truly do apologize for my rant. Good luck to everyone this year, and hope to see all of you at next year's awards banquet.

russ

24-Mar-15
If my wife wasn't sick I would but unfortunately I don't have the time right now. It is a great idea and wish someone could do that. You can say I should do it but family comes first and I am trying to say what needs to be done and am glad you can help out. I may of came off harsh but it needs to be addressed as some people only go if they are getting an award. Hunting in manitoba is getting harder by the year so we need to keep these clubs going to ensure a future in hunting. To me it seems like mistakes like that should not be happening when it's paid for and documented by members. I'm glad you are going to help as some people just can't or don't have time anymore. If you need a solution not to be funny you sound like you may have the time to check enteries. There was not many this year so it shouldn't have been a issue. On busy yrs it would make sense that this could happen.

24-Mar-15
Hi Russ I know that you guys work hard and volenteer to make this happen. I maybe should not have gone on the web but did so when I was angry at some things that I will not mention. I just wanted to get them corrected. It sounds like you are on that path. I hope this is true as bickering on here will not fix it. I appreciate all the hard work people go through and know that it's not a paying job. Hunters,volunteers and everyone involved should always be looking at ways to make it run smoother so it can continue for yrs to come and keep hunting alive. I also have great memories and stories from the banquet. I just want it to continue and understand there is not much help.

24-Mar-15
Tim,

I generally work 80-100 hour weeks, so one thing I don't have is time. I also live 3 hours from Winnipeg, which makes it even more difficult for me. Of the guys that I know who are involved with the MBRC, none of them have an excess of time to volunteer either, but they still do. Likewise, I'll MAKE time to volunteer for this, whether it's throughout the year, around the time of the banquet or on the day of the banquet. I've already put my name out there to be assigned tasks, both on here and by talking to a member of the MBRC board.

My point is, and I'm not speaking specifically to you here, Tim, if bowhunting (and hunting in general) is important to you, if the MBRC and the annual banquet is important to you, don't just be a passive supporter, volunteer and get active within the club. It seems like it's the same guys who are volunteering for several different organizations and have been for years, and they're stretched thin. It's time that some other people stepped up and took some of the load off.

• Sitka Gear