Flatlander 25-Jan-15
Treerat 25-Jan-15
hawkeye in PA 25-Jan-15
Harv 25-Jan-15
BOWJO 25-Jan-15
Rut Nut 26-Jan-15
Dave G. 26-Jan-15
24-Jan-15
Last day here in 2B, couple inches of snow, not too cold, meeting the group in an hour and a half. So far we have had some decent success, 9 does and 2 bucks taken so far, got the kids and the old timers coming out. Bumping lots of coyotes but no shots at them yet. Still looking for a buck here but if it doesn't happen I have still had fun. And we are lucky to have the season go as long as it does, feel sorry for you guys that had to stop 2 weeks ago, we really have fun in the month of January. Taken the wheeley bow out and I have my sissy pants on! Actually the are sissy long underwear.

24-Jan-15

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
On stand, hope the rain holds out.

24-Jan-15

24-Jan-15

24-Jan-15
Goodluck!

24-Jan-15
I'm in the bow shop, wood burner has it 74 degrees in here and I'm just kicked back having a cold beer while looking outside at all the pretty snow...

24-Jan-15
Best of luck, fellas. My deer hunting is done for the season, but luckily I have a few things keeping me busy.

Harv, may the big wheels on the "sissy pants" bow keep on turning, brother! ;)

24-Jan-15
Still on stand, 2 doe no shot. No wheels, have longbow.

24-Jan-15
Good luck fellas.

I hoped to get out after some rabbits and pheasants today, but ran out of time. Their season is in until Feb 21, so there's plenty of bowhunting to do yet.

Instead of hunting, I worked on the shop and ran heavy wire from the main up in the garage down to the shop, installed a subpanel, and wired in the outlets and lighting circuits. I must have done ok because everything's working, I don't smell anything burning, and I didn't get electrocuted :^) I'm gettin' there.

24-Jan-15

Harv's embedded Photo
Harv's embedded Photo
Last hour of the last day and I ended up being in the right spot at the right time! Biggest Pa buck I ever shot. Can't believe it came together, we ended up with 3 does and my buck. 30 yd shot, 50 yard recovery, and yes RC I shot him with a Rage! LOL Where is my check! Seriously, had a great day with great friends, like I said earlier I love this extended season and I wish everyone could do this. By the way, this bucks tarsals were as black as coal and he stunk like they do in November, we saw a few fresh scrapes and rubs also. Roger, those wheels turned the right way today! And I hope the pic comes through!

24-Jan-15
Holy crap Harv!!! Great buck!! Congrats!!!

You sure you weren't in Kansas today??:)

24-Jan-15
Thanks Ben,

Nope I was in good old 2B! I went to Kansas couple years ago for a week and didn't shoot chit! Saw a bunch of 3 pts,4pts and a 6 point or something like that, 4 of us went, 3 got bucks......... guess who didn't! LOL This was a great deer, I feel bad, another couple hours and he had it made! But I'm extremely happy I got him.

24-Jan-15
Awesome buck Harv.Got to love it when a plan comes together. Not only last hour but also still wearing his headgear.

24-Jan-15
yeah tobywon and best part they didn't fall off during the drag, I did kick up a 4 point that had a horn hanging by some skin, back of his head was all bloody! I think he was in the process of dropping it.

25-Jan-15
Great buck Harv, I've had a few clse calls in Ohio the last two weeks but blew it one night, -18 wind chill I had way to many cloth on! Lol

What were you hunting food or trails bedding area or funnel or were you guys doing pushes ? Lets hear the story.

Can't complain hunted Ohio last Saturday caught a a bunch of nice perch through the ice Thursday and Biw hunted Ohio Friday. Ice fishing or bow hunting Sunday evening before work...decisions, decisions

Congrats again Mike

25-Jan-15
GREAT DEER!

25-Jan-15
Thanks everyone. Yeah Rat we were doing pushes and to be honest I would have shot any legal buck. But anyhow, we have a regular group that hunts together all the time, everyone helps everyone else out, if you need a tree to sit, we share etc. But we started out the morning with 2 doe on 1 drive, the next drive was a bust, the next drive I had probably 15 doe come up to me but a skipper was in the lead and stopped in a spot that all the other deer went around it and I wasn't going to shoot a small deer or take a bad shot. The first couple drives we did we the big drives we do that we need a lot of guys and they take at least an hour to push not counting set up time. The guys who shoot bucks in the group are pretty much delegated to pushing the majority of the drives in late season and these guys have busted their butts the last couple weeks,and we all were starting to get tired with slipping and falling all over the place with the snow. We decided to do 1 more long drive that always puts bucks out and me and 2 of my best friends set up low on a hill in the middle of a big thicket. We were sitting for approximately 30 minutes and I see a body of 2 deer sneaking towards my buddy down low, all of a sudden they start curving back up hill towards me and I draw my bow, I see a rack,I see 4 up and I prepared for the shot, he came up to 30 yards, slight quarter to and looks up the hill towards me. I was in my snow camo so he knew something was there but couldn't figure out what, the other deer, a buck also stops a few yards behind him. I settle the pin on his chest and I squeezed the release, I hear the arrow hit him and he takes off like a freight train down hill towards my buddy almost running him over literally! The blood trail came within feet of him. So now I know I hit him but naturally I'm excited and worried about just how good the hit was, any number of things go through your mind from, he's dead, he wounded, he went across the road etc.etc. So now I have to wait, nobody moves until the drivers get to you, so an hour later the drivers get to me and I got to the spot the deer was when I shot him, no arrow, no blood but I got the tracks and already knew the direction he went, meanwhile my buddy heads to the road to make sure the deer didn't head in that direction. About 15 yds into the trail I start hitting blood just squirting out all over and I calmed down because I knew I hit him good enough to kill him, he paralleled the hill for 30 yds and started to head up this little bump, I take a step and loose my balance and fall/slide down hill 10 yards, stand back up,look uphill to see my buddy still on the trail, I stood there for a second and say do you still see the blood, he says yeah, it goes up to that bush that that monster buck is laying in!!Then the backslapping starts. after 5 minutes of high 5's and whoops I began filling out my tag while my buddy starts to gut him, after a easy downhill drag to the road, we head back to the house for a few beers, grilled backstraps,, heart and liver. Just so happens that one of our group is a taxidermist and my beautiful and best wife in the whole wide world asks, which head are you taking down in the living room to put this one up? I knew then I was getting him mounted! LOL Great day. Already got him reported on line, great system, better than having to find and mail that report card in, he's quartered, heads at the taxidermist and I'm dropping the quarters off at the butchers to get jerky and stuff made! Great day, now today starts the honey do list that I have been neglecting!

25-Jan-15
Congrats harv

25-Jan-15
Very nice, Harv.. Congrats..

25-Jan-15
Harv thats a REALLY REALLY good deer! And such a pretty white rack! Great story too!

25-Jan-15
Congratulations, Harv! That is an awesome accomplishment and an amazing buck! Any deer taken in late season is a trophy, but that one is quite exceptional! Thanks for sharing your story...let me know how much that check from Rage is! LOL! :-)

25-Jan-15
Wow Harv that's awesome. I spent the day taking verbal abuse in RCs shop. Last day of the season is always a sad day for me. Depressing. But glad to make progress on tillering my bow. Can't wait to finish it. Bow building is the one thing I look forward to when winter rolls around.

Thanks again Roy.

25-Jan-15
Ah Rage? Ok so where is the big huge wide hole in the deer at? Didn't open did it?:) LOL

Real nice Buck, Harv.. Congrats again...

25-Jan-15
Harv, that's is simply awesome, man......Congrats. Talk about getting the most out of your deer hunting!

25-Jan-15
OUT FREAKING STANDING!

25-Jan-15
Great story Harv, we have never tried drives during bow season, I know where a few good bucks are holed up in Ohio right now, might have to round up a few guys and give it a try, still a week or so of deer archery season left over there.

Mike

25-Jan-15
Congratulations!!

25-Jan-15
Thanks again everyone. I was going to post the entrance hole on this one but it is tooooo gruesome! LOL and I DID not get a pass through this time...

Rat,We drive alot of deer in the late season, you just have to be selective on shot placement, if you take your time and are responsible, you can be very productive. If you need help up there my place is not far away,I'll push one to you! Good luck, you still got some time to make it happen in Ohio! Keep us posted.

25-Jan-15
Awesome buck Harv!! I too love the late season. It has been a great season with a lot of memories with good friends. Some really great bucks are killed every year on those late season pushes.

Great picture and a great story as well!

26-Jan-15
WOW! GREAT buck! Way to go!

I was hoping to get out at least once more the last week, but this nasty chest cold ended my season early! Was coughing and hacking bad for a week and could not keep quiet for more than a couple minutes at a time. :(

26-Jan-15
Congratulations Harv, that's a tremendous buck.

To me, late season deer have a special place in my "hunter's heart". Knowing that that deer avoided scores of hunters over obviously more than just a couple of years but then ultimately fell to an arrow is a fitting tribute to both hunter and animal.

Again...kudos to you.

• Sitka Gear