Naz 30-Jan-15
dc-archer 30-Jan-15
Novemberforever 30-Jan-15
buckmaster69 30-Jan-15
orionsbrother 30-Jan-15
CaptMike 01-Feb-15
buckmaster69 01-Feb-15
24-Jan-15
We hear a lot of the time how much the WI DNR cares about WI sportsman. If they really cared, they would practice reciprocity for hunting/fishing licenses. There is no reason a NR should be able to hunt WI for 160.00 if it would cost us 600.00 or more to hunt their state. This is yet one more thing that proves the WI DNR cares more about the money/volume than anything.

24-Jan-15
Wisc. Lost 6,000 nrs in 2014 costing 900k in revenue. Ya think raising tag fees is a great idea? I am not aware of any state with recipacol agreements.

24-Jan-15
Rut, I agree 100%. A guy can come from Utah and hunt Buffalo County or Waupaca County OTC and yet to get that quality of a hunt in his state we have to go through a very long draw system. It is complete B.S. We pay as much for all their National Forest land that they do yet, there are quality management zones in the Western States that we will never see a deer permit for. Complete B.S.

24-Jan-15
Don't forget if its their first time hunting WI their tag is 1/2 price or at least it was last year. I agree 100% BS!!

24-Jan-15
What whitetail state charges $600 or more for a NR tag? Can't count combo tags that include elk.

24-Jan-15
Iowa is around $730 after buying points for 3 years and then the actual licenses, habitat stamp,ect

24-Jan-15
Wow! Maybe it's because there are fewer tags but more big bucks seen per hunter? Has anyone ever proposed reciprocal nonresident fees here and if so how was it received.

24-Jan-15
"Wisc. Lost 6,000 nrs in 2014 costing 900k in revenue. Ya think raising tag fees is a great idea?"

Yes actually I do, more money doesn't mean better quality. I would even be in agreement with a substantial raise in resident license fees. I am far from well off, in fact I bet that I make the least of any WI Bowsite regular. But if the money would go back into the resource, I am all for it.

24-Jan-15
I thought Minnesota has reprocicity on deer tags. People always talk about the huge bucks as the reason for the high tags in IA and IL but those famous huge buck areas are only small parts of the state but the high tag cost is for the entire state. I lived in NW IA and the NR tag was the same if I was hunting the bug buck SE IA area and while the hunting in the NW was nice it is not known for big bucks. Same with IL there are a lot of places where any buck is a trophy, the entire state isn't Pike COunty just like all of Wisconsin isn't Buffalo County.

I agree that you can't include combo tags but it should include what it would cost to hunt a deer in their state. If a regular hunting license, habitat stamp, deer tag and archery tag is needed then all those should be included in what it costs them to hunt deer in Wi.

24-Jan-15
500.00 bucks flat... screw reciprocity .. folks want to brag how great WI deer hunting is based on the record book entries... so... to hunt here should reflect that record book entries.. 500.00 flat or Get The ! $#÷ out... LOL

24-Jan-15
Minnesota had reciprocity just for bow hunting for one year. Too many complaints from Iowa residents that had to pay about $600 for an archery deer license when they came to MN so it got nixed fast.

Ya, it sucks that Iowa makes you buy all of these to hunt a buck in Iowa. fee to apply, small game license, habitat fee, doe license, then finally your either sex license. One thing I never do in Iowa is leave that doe tag unfilled.

To be fair, they also require residents to buy the small game license and habitat fee before they can buy a deer license.

I would love to see reciprocal in MN and WI, but the politics and economics of it just won't fly.

24-Jan-15
Name 1 state that has reciprocity? I guess not many here buy annual western licenses for 10-15 years in order to draw a trophy unit. Wisconsin lost 22,000 residents and 6,000 nrs in 2014. Goodluck finding a net 50,000 new residents to make up the revenue loss. Most nrs are young adults who moved out of state for careers and come home for the hunt.

24-Jan-15
I live in IL and the high price of licence, tag and habitat stamp for non-residents here precludes family and friends from hunting with me.

You can justify the expenditure if you're committing a bigger chunk of time, making it a big trip or hunting repeatedly. But it's hard for a lot of guys with families to shell out that kind of money for a long weekend.

As hunting gets more and more expensive,I think it loses more and more of the bonds that cement friends and family.

I don't know where all of the money goes. I don't know what the answer is. I do know some people who would have fewer hunts with people they care about if prices are increased dramatically. I think that's unfortunate.

24-Jan-15
Most NR'S are residents that moved out of state and come back for the hunt. Exactly, and they still use mommy and daddy's address to pay resident fee. More right-wing entitlement! They took their tax base with them when they went to find jobs where it is hip and trendy or a better climate. Let them pay the NR fee! $500.00 is reasonable with a point system and a good ten year wait like out west.

24-Jan-15
"More right-wing entitlement!"????

Where the heck did that come from?

I don't know anyone using their family's address to scam their way to resident tag fees, though I'm sure it's been done.

From your post, it seems as though you view the purpose of license and tag fees should be to punish non-residents, seeking social justice. I thought that they were supposed to fund DNR operations.

And when someone moves out of state, they take their skill set with them. The state loses some of its tax base when companies move out.

24-Jan-15
A lot of the places we want to NR hunt is because they have low hunter numbers. If a state with fewer hunters is using hunter dollars to manage game species, and their costs are in line with WI, then they need to charge more for a license. Simple math.

25-Jan-15
The dnr has publically stated most nrs are displaced natives coming home for the family tradition. Raising nr fees after losing 6,000 in 2014 would be an big mistake. The dnr like most businesses know the sweet spot on cost. Starbucks knows $5 coffee maximizes profit vs. $8 coffee. Wait till your kids become nrs and they cant justify the tag/travel costs to come home for the hunt.

25-Jan-15
10, you let your bias and agenda slip out on that one.

25-Jan-15
Raise non resident fee to $300 and residents to $75.

25-Jan-15
$24 is peanuts to bow hunt for 3 months with additional doe tags also. Turkey tags should be lowered to $12 total with stamp.

25-Jan-15
Camp 2 dukes sees some of the problem. I have three younger kids. They are interested in hunting. I am interested in having them have hunting as part of their culture.

I do not have the disposable income to drop $1500 for a long weekend of hunting with their aunts, uncles and cousins. And, in the end, if some day, my kids hunt with their cousins on their farm for three days, how bad is that going to impact you guys?

Many of the people who I referred to in my earlier post that can not hunt IL with us because of cost are Wisconsinites.

I am concerned that the ever increasing costs of licenses, tags etc. are helping to undermine hunting culture.

I do not have a simple answer. I am just trying to point out what I think would be an unintended consequence.

I wish that IL had some sort of reduced fee for "sponsored non resident family" hunting only on private ground with a shortened license time frame. Maybe a lottery for different weeks, like turkey tags, but limited to private property? But what kind of nightmare would that be for a DNR to manage?

25-Jan-15
RJN agreed turkey tags should be lowered. And if you don't fill your tag in spring should be useable in fall.

25-Jan-15
Orion your thread is well said.

Unfortunately we live in a culture of "me want free" and if given a chance people will skirt the system knowing getting caught has low probability or they are willing to take a chance. Although not blood, I knew of family members from Illinois that hunted resident tags about five years ago. I do not hunt there anymore because of it and don't know if it still goes on. They were hunting family land in Dunn county.

I agree that fees need to be hiked. It may make people that "pay taxes in Wisconsin" but live in other states upset and suddenly become residents though. We buy gas, food etc etc. This topic has been talked about many times.

People post saying how WI is number 1 in all these P&Y or whatever, so why not raise the cost a bit? If a person loves antlers that much they will pay to hunt regardless of the price. My nephew asks me to come to Montana and hunt whitetail but wow... their price is high for NR.

25-Jan-15
Pasquinnell - Thanks. I'm not a regular FIB. I was conceived in WI. I went to school in WI. I have lots of family in WI. My wife is a WI girl.

I am doing everything that I can to get out of this cesspool of a state. Lots of reasons other than cheaper tags.

And, yes, lots of Western states have high priced tags. As I said, you can rationalize the price if you're making a big trip, but the high prices erode the likelihood of friends and family being able to enjoy short and spontaneous hunts together.

What will be the impact of that over time?

And how did we get to the point that, all over the country, people want to increase the price for others who share their passion? And where does all of this money go? What about all of the Pittman-Robertson funds?

And if people are going to be dirtbags, lying about residency and risking being violated to save a little more than $100, do you think that fewer will be inclined to do so when the difference is $450?

I guess that I'm also saying that increased tag fees don't mean that you guys, as hunters, will likely see any benefits. The money just disappears into the system. You may reduce the numbers of NR hunters, but many that still come have a greater sense of entitlement.

IL has not seen quality improvements with all of the money flowing into the DNR with expensive tags.

Ask guys who hunt the limited public ground in IL about interactions with NR hunters. Many NR have the attitude that they've paid 9 1/2-10 times more for their tags, they have limited time, that should buy them some "consideration."

For what it's worth, I think that the number of NR tags should be limited or regulated by lottery and the prices be similar for both resident and non-resident, with the prices set to fund the DNR. I suspect that would get a lot more sportsmen to focus on what is really happening with their money.

I think it's very unfortunate that IL has outrageous NR fees. It has negatively impacted myself, my family and my friends. Opportunities have been lost.

I hope that I can compensate for that with my kids. $500 tags in WI would make that more difficult for me.

25-Jan-15
Doesn't MN and WI already have repricity on state university tuitions? So there is a precendence.

I think what it might do is get hunters in places like IL and IA that hunt in WI to start asking their states to lower their NR prices so that they could then afford to hunt in WI again.

25-Jan-15
The uni agreement ended in 2012 when sconnie would not pay up. No state has any reciprocity agreement.

25-Jan-15
"The uni agreement ended in 2012 when sconnie would not pay up"

Yup WI got greedy with that.

25-Jan-15
California is $272 I think.

25-Jan-15
What ever the total Iowa tags costs should be our NR Cost plus 20.00 just because.. WI is bragging record book entries like no other state.. therefore we have even better hunting than Iowa so that should make the tags worth more then there's. ..

But what ever they do do not allow a 200.00 doe tag... that's stupid on Iowa part.. it's the full tag or nothing. Is what they need to do here.. it's supply and demand... WI puts more record book deer on the ground then any other state... that should be worth some significant jing for access... period.

25-Jan-15
It was bait for Howatt!

It certainly didn't take long. I have to admit though, it was a soft hit. I expected him to hammer that one.

We do need to make it more difficult for NR's to obtain a deer tag if their home state makes it impossible for NR's to hunt.

25-Jan-15
Does anyone know off hand what Iowa, Illinois, Ohio and Kansas charge nrs.

25-Jan-15
IL is $57.75 for a NR license, $410.00 for NR archery permit or tag, $5.50 for Habitat stamp and if you are hunting certain public ground another $12.50 or so for that permit. It's ridiculous.

And if you decide to come hunt here in spite of that, make sure that you know exactly what you need. "Skippy" at WallMart or the sporting goods store probably has no clue. Buy your permit and hunting license, but miss the habitat stamp..."Skippy" probably won't know to tell you that you need it. Hunt certain areas and don't have the extra permit and "Skippy" didn't sell it to you, your entire hunt can be ruined.

It's a shame.

25-Jan-15
Oh, yeah...IL NR Archery Turkey?......

That permit is something like $125.00!!!!

Please don't advocate that WI goes down the same path.

25-Jan-15
Ohio is $125 for NR Lic (this is for all hunting). $24 for either sex tag (all weapons) and $15 for antlerless tag if you want. Once buck allowed per year not weapon specific.

25-Jan-15
Fine a dandy that you want to charge reciprocal fees, but I have a couple questions... 1) What is your overall end goal? 2) Do you have any statistical breakdown in terms of where our states non-residents come from state by state? -I just don't see this arrangement necessarily having any effect on the western states that many allude to here as you just don't see Kansas, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, etc. coming east to hunt.

25-Jan-15
Iowa NR deer hunting fees follow. Draw application fee 52 and takes at least 2 years for bow, Habitat fee 13, Small game license (needed to deer hunt too) 112, Doe tag (required to get an either sex tag) 228, Either sex tag 320. That last one is an estimate, I cannot find the actual cost anywhere)

I believe MN has a law on the books where if a WI resident owns land in MN they can get MN licenses at resident price. But it requires WI to pass a similar agreement to go into effect, that has not happened yet.

Those NR's that use a relatives WI address to get their license are taking a big chance. First they probably cannot get the resident license unless they still have WI DL. Second, the WI DNR could easily check to see if anyone purchasing a resident license paid income taxes in Wisconsin and get caught. That would certainly result in charges for the license purchase but might also lead to more serious charges of taking a deer without a valid license.

25-Jan-15
Duke the dnr publishes an nr breakdown every year. All 50 states had nrs. 351 from ca. I know 9 of those. Il. Mn. Mi. Always lead the way. Again most are family coming home to hunt family property. Closed mfl dropped my tax $8,000/year locked in for 50 years. Tag fees are a pimple vs the mfl elephant.

25-Jan-15
Any idea how much money the dnr takes in each year on the small stumpage income from the MFL program?

25-Jan-15
No clue jeff. Cant be anywhere near the tax loss tho.

26-Jan-15
If I hunted the north where there is few deer I wouldn't pay $75 for a tag but in those areas nobody should be hunting anyway. Where I hunt there is descent #s and there is a good chance of taking a doe and buck. Paying $75 would still be a deal.

26-Jan-15
Tuition reciprocity for Universities/Colleges is a completely different animal than deer hunting license fees. In the case of tuition, we're talking tens of thousands of $$$ per person, not hundreds.

There are thousands of students from WI that attend school in MN and vice versa, which ultimately adds up to tens of millions of dollars.

How many extra deer hunters would each state gather if the tag fees were the same?? Would resident hunters from either state want thousands of extra hunters attempting to harvest an animal from their state's herd?

Not saying, it's not an idea worth exploring, just saying that the college/universities in the two states have reciprocity because it's fantastic for their bottom line. The DNR is not going to go bankrupt without NR tag fees. They've already proven they don't care!! Anytime the DNR is in a crunch for $, they just hike the fees up on residents. It's been done before.

I know it's not "the same" and I know it's not truly "hunting," but if you're looking at six, seven, $800 in tag fees in some of these other states, you might as well shell over the $1000 and do a fence hunt. Let's be honest, nobody's handing over $700+ to go to IA to shoot a fork-horn.

Be careful what we wish for here fellas. You have uniform regulations and fees across state lines and you're moving closer and closer to more Federal involvement and ultimately the Feds regulating our hunting seasons. And once we get to that point, hunting will be a past-tense activity.

26-Jan-15
Rc- the point is that $24 is dirt cheap for a bow license. Yes there should be reciprocity between states. Why should we pay $700 to hunt Iowa and they pay $160 to shoot deer here?

26-Jan-15
"IL is $57.75 for a NR license, $410.00 for NR archery permit or tag, $5.50 for Habitat stamp and if you are hunting certain public ground another $12.50 or so for that permit. It's ridiculous."

If you want to hunt bucks in IL the price is rediculous. No disagreement there. Both our state's bowhunting orgs fought long and hard against those hikes.

But IL is only that expensive if you want to hunt antlers. If you don't care about such things, remove the $410 tag and insert a $25.50 OTC antlerless only tag. Now you're hunting all small game and antlerless deer all season long for the low price of $86.75. That's about what a few days of spring turkey hunting cost me in WI.

So you can hunt does and small game in IL for $86.75, but I pay nearly twice that much in WI and don't get small game included (sans squirrels and rabbits). And if you're a landowner IL cuts that buck tag price in half. Does WI? Nope.

What were we complaining about again?

That's OK. This topic pops up at least once a year. It never has gone anywhere and it never will. Why? Because the people in charge in WI are smarter than their counterparts elsewhere.

26-Jan-15
NR hunting is a big revenue generator for business, especially small business. Those groups are always pushing to keep the NR fees down, and with good reason. I always make it a point to patronize small business and not chain stores or restaurants. They already have a tough time making it, reducing NR's would make it tougher.

Raising license fees further turns hunting into an elitist activity for the rich. I go to WI to hunt with friends and family. So if you have rich friends or family they can hunt with you, if not too bad grandpa hunts alone.

NR landowners like me, pay various taxes such as property, income, and sales taxes on purchases. Since I spend very little time in the state each year, I get very little benefit from state services. For example I will never use the school system financed by the property taxes. WI is coming out way ahead on this deal.

26-Jan-15
You make a good point there JRW.

Though I am not out just hunting antlers, I have to admit that some of the magic of hunting, for me, is the "What if...?"

Removing the chance of killing a big buck completely takes away some of that anticipation and excitement.

I don't know if I'm articulating it very well.

26-Jan-15
+1 JRW

26-Jan-15
"A guy can come from Utah and hunt Buffalo County or Waupaca County OTC and yet to get that quality of a hunt in his state we have to go through a very long draw system."

Hardly. I guess a quality hunt might vary depending on your metric though. If your quality metric is being within bow range of phenomenal bucks. I completely disagree with the above statement. I've hunted great PRIVATE property in Waupaca County as a resident with minimal encounters. As a non-resident, I've hunted PUBLIC BLM land/general units in Utah and have had phenomenal hunts each time. If you want to use the metric $$/buck hunted...the dollar value for a general Utah hunt wouldn't even come close to WI.

Like other's have stated. I now go back to WI to hunt with friends/family during holidays. If reciprocity were to be enacted...I'd bring a camera instead of a weapon.

26-Jan-15
dc archer sell your land if you think you are getting such a bad deal. Save the sob speech for the states that charge $500 plus !! An extra $100 bucks aint going to kill you guys.

26-Jan-15
Funny stuff. The masses buy bows for $1,000 +, $45,000.00 pick ups, $10,000.00+ 6 wheelers, spend thousands of dollars on food plots, game cameras, tree-stands galore, broadheads for $10 a piece, arrows for $80 a dozen, and on and on and on. Cant afford a tag? Yeah, right.......

26-Jan-15
Orionsbrother,

You're articulating it well. I understand exactly what you're saying. The "what if" is nice, but they sure charge you an arm and a leg for it here.

26-Jan-15
And I can understand what guys are feeling when other states charge higher prices than what NR pay for a tag in their state.

And I firmly believe in market forces for private transactions. I just don't know that I agree with higher priced tags for a public resource, just because the market will bear it.

If the whole idea is to completely maximize profits, then why not auction off all tags? Highest bidders for every tag?

Some guys may want higher priced NR tags to reduce competition on public land. So render NR tags private only? How's that work on National Forest ground?

And retro, you have a point, but I can guarantee you that the amortized cost for per diem use of the bow that I purchased last year plus my eight year old climber will fall far short of the per diem cost of my tag.

But, yes, there are guys who drop huge dollars every year. Many of them are leasing up the private land in IL.

26-Jan-15
Raise the nonresident fee would be ok by me but doubling it or more might discourage a lot of past state residents as well as current nonresident landowners. I'd start with a 20 or 25% hike and see what happens to the sales.

26-Jan-15
Retro, it is funny isn't it. My beef is not with cost! My beef is not being able draw in other states for 10 plus years and yet we allow NR's to buy OTC here. I've always said, I got my $1,000.00 deer.

26-Jan-15
Another angle:

Wisconsin has an elk herd and does not allow any hunting of it. Perhaps, in the spirit of reciprocity, states that allow elk hunting should refuse to sell tags to WI residents.

26-Jan-15
"Why should we pay $700 to hunt Iowa and they pay $160 to shoot deer here?"

Because Iowa limits the number of NR licenses in specific zones around the state which creates demand and having to wait a few years to hunt there creates even more demand that then somehow helps you feel like that $700 is worth it. Then you see Lee and Tiffany on TV with all those hogs they are shooting around their place and keeps the demand going even stronger.

It is called marketing.

Wisconsin DNR does not 'market' deer hunting. It is just there to hunt deer for those that want to at the price set. I think $160 is a reasonable price for what you get. Much less and areas would get flooded with NR's, much more and there wouldn't be many takers. Yes there are pockets where the state could get more money but probably not worth going that route.

Wisconsin should think about doing lifetime licenses like Minnesota does. I bought MN lifetime bow and gun licenses for something like $500 each years ago. Fee is based on your age when you buy it. All you need to do each year is go in and get your tag and authorization for that year at no charge. You still have to pay extra for bonus tags. The beauty is that when I eventually change my residency back to Wisconsin I still get those free Minnesota licenses. It is really a sweet deal for someone to do when they are pretty sure they will eventually move out of state like when you graduate from college and take a job in another state but still want to hunt back home.

26-Jan-15
MT, ID, WY, WA, OR, AZ, MN, MI and CO all already have wolves and elk and allow elk hunting.

26-Jan-15
JRW….. save your arm and leg and just don't hunt here. $100 increase for non residents and $10 increase for residents. FAIR TO ME !!!

26-Jan-15
"JRW….. save your arm and leg and just don't hunt here. $100 increase for non residents and $10 increase for residents. FAIR TO ME !!!"

I was referring to IL, not WI (insert confused face here). I thought that was clear.

But thank you for your concern about me hunting your fine state. Since I've been doing it for 30+ years and own property up there, I'm not likely to be dissuaded by a couple buck more for a tag. Besides, I probably have more skin in the game than most of your resident hunters anyway. :)

26-Jan-15
10, nice baiting job! Not that we needed any more proof, but it was too funny seeing the identical responses that his "twin brother" would give.

I'd say it's time for a NR fee increase to $200 or so, and resident to $25 — nice even numbers!

26-Jan-15
"I'd say it's time for a NR fee increase to $200 or so, and resident to $25 — nice even numbers!"

So raise the res tags $1 and the nrs 25% coming off 2014 where 6,000 nrs declined costing the DNR $900k(find 30,000 res to replace that revenue loss) in lost revenue plus the tourist $$$? 22,000 res also dropped out btw. If You dont think tag fees are price sensitive read the herd control county Cdac minutes as to why the antlerless harvest was down. Tag hikes from $2 to $12 and $20 was the number one concern. The dnr knows what price points maximize revenue.

26-Jan-15
So we have a DNR that doesn't want to manage the predators. They don't want to do away with group bagging. Refuses to do any management on public lands. They do not want to raise NR license fees for fear of losing money. Add crossbows and liberal gun seasons in there. I just don't understand how some of you still think they are doing a bang up job.

26-Jan-15
Please don't leave ?????? Oh my …. what will we do!!!!! BYE !!!! Don't let the door hit you in the a$$. Naz that works for me !!!

26-Jan-15
I'd like to see fair increases for both, actually.

26-Jan-15
OK November, $30 for residents ... there's your 25 percent. Could live with that, esp. since I buy a Patron (and they'd better not up that much more since they've been taking stuff away from it through the years). And, since we get a free baldy tag with each bow and gun license, that's still only $15 a pop per tag. Speaking of tags, while I'm in favor of bucks-only in counties that need it up north, I would venture a guess that a big chunk of the license drop last fall was due to that very restriction. Yes, many hunters still like to shoot baldies, and not just gun hunters (though I'd argue that the less-passionate "once a year" hunters were probably more likely to drop because of it). Thousands of baldies are shot up north on bow tags every late season.

26-Jan-15
Naz, 5526 late season archery antlerless were harvested statewide in 2013. How many in the 2014 "no doe" counties? I doubt 1,000. Besides, 10,000 antlerless were taken in 2014 in the "no doe" counties. The res licenses dropped 22,000 or $528,000 loss while nrs dropped 6,000 or $960,000 loss.$1.5 million is a significant revenue loss for the Dnr. Residents pushed away from the $10 hike in antlerless tag fees in 2014.Thousands of antlerless tags went unsold, the herd was not reduced and now with a mild winter the dnr has a problem in 2015 with an exploding deer herd in the central farmland zone again.$2 herd control tags for years made for an entitlement and was rejected@$12/$20.

26-Jan-15
"Don't let the door hit you in the a$$."

I have to admit that I don't fully understand that mentality. I think that large price hikes would definitely keep some families from hunting together. I think that would be unfortunate.

I have to think that you must have had some bad run in with some bad non resident hunters. That's unfortunate too.

If you get your wish and a huge price increase occurs, I hope that you don't end up with some family member declining to hunt with you because of costs.

26-Jan-15
Naz, I'm not above baiting for some game. LOL.

I would take all this a step further for resident hunters and change how the Patron license is structured. I used to buy the Patron license but, have opted out the last few years after asking the DNR to give us more options and received a resounding NO! Make the Patron license more of a buffet of options, boat registration, ATV registration, Snowmobile, deer hunting, small game, park sticker, wolf permit,… Most of what is included for trapping I will never use. It was better when it was a card and you received your back tags.

26-Jan-15
Never did I ever think a calculator and tape measure would be needed when talking about whitetail hunting.

26-Jan-15
Wi deer hunting stinks... poor regs... way to many idiots.... way to many tags sold... and corn piles on every 40.... geee.. wonder why we lost so any hunters.. including me??? LOL... 24 bucks for a deer tag in WI??? Nope... wont do it until I see improvement in issues mentioned above..I will gladly pay the 600 NR tag costs to get real deer hunting.... and next year you will loose another 30000 tags sold... keep those block buster deer orgs and commitees running the show.... they are doing a great job...LOL

26-Jan-15
Keep on keeping on.. WI DEER hunting is all candy and nuts..LMAO

26-Jan-15
No sob story here, I'm very fortunate but that's not the point. Reducing NR hunter would be very bad for state revenues and business, and (likely) result in higher taxes and hunting license fees for residents to make up the difference. Western states are more remote, and have identified the right price point for their licenses based on history and market research just like WI has. One size doesn't fit all.

From: buckmaster69 ........ dc archer sell your land if you think you are getting such a bad deal. Save the sob speech for the states that charge $500 plus !! An extra $100 bucks aint going to kill you guys.

26-Jan-15
"NR landowners like me, pay various taxes such as property, income, and sales taxes on purchases"

As do the rest of us that live here year round. Plus no one forced you to buy land here.

27-Jan-15
I live in MN but do all my hunting in WI because of red tape in WI my career required a move. It is a long story. I love to bow hunt and pay $160 a year to deer hunt. I also pay taxes on the land in WI, which is more taxes than I pay on my house in MN. So if we decide residence on taxes I am from WI. I pay a lot to hunt in WI and I wasn't forced to buy the land in WI, I grew up there and it is where my parents live now. So why am I the bad guy because I live in Mn.? As I said red tape in Madison required a move and I hope someday to live again in WI but don't know if that will happen. Increasing NR fees isn't going to make a change in your hunting experience. The way to have better hunting is put in the effort and trigger control it isn't about NR hunters.

27-Jan-15
bowhuntingdog, know how you feel except I originally from Iowa and just drive back to see the family and shake my head; there is no way I will pay for a NR deer tag at their rate; started at $80 and when it went to $325 just wasn't worth it when I can hunt Wi,Mn and UP of Mi for a heck a lot less and a better experience. I live right across the River and the property taxes are a lot less than living in Wi.

27-Jan-15
Right we all pay but that's not the point. NR's pay, but get very little (if any) use of the local and state govt. services. The NR's are helping to pay for the services being used by the residents year round and helping keep the cost to the residents lower. Again I'm not complaining just stating its a good deal for residents.

""NR landowners like me, pay various taxes such as property, income, and sales taxes on purchases"

As do the rest of us that live here year round. Plus no one forced you to buy land here. "

27-Jan-15
For all the anti NR fees gang posting here, its the states right to charge NR fees,deal with it or move.Whining about paying property taxes in the state you dont live in as an excuse to be excluded is lame and gets old.

27-Jan-15
Start paying income tax and then you have something to stand on. Property taxes are local and are not given to the state. We all pay tolls, sales tax, gas tax.... when in other states. If I was in a limited hunting state I would feel I have every right to have a better chance at securing a tag over a NR. Wisconsin continues to be an overall barging for out of state hunters when compared to other states, but that does not mean they should jack to rate, but nor does it mean the others should lower. It is all about supply and demand.

27-Jan-15
Wasn't whining, not part of a gang. I was simply trying to point out some of the potential negative impact to families that want to hunt together.

What I find interesting is that the major driving force seems to be to "stick it to someone." Some sort of perceived social justice.

I haven't seen anyone state that they desire increased fees to fund any new habitat projects, TSI or whatever. Most just express a desire to even the score that they have with other state's DNRs.

Makes me wonder if you have a bad day at work, do you come home and kick the dog?

27-Jan-15
orionsbrother,

You noticed that too? ;)

27-Jan-15
I do pay income taxes in WI.

"Start paying income tax and then you have something to stand on. Property taxes are local and are not given to the state. We all pay tolls, sales tax, gas tax.... when in other states. If I was in a limited hunting state I would feel I have every right to have a better chance at securing a tag over a NR. Wisconsin continues to be an overall barging for out of state hunters when compared to other states, but that does not mean they should jack to rate, but nor does it mean the others should lower. It is all about supply and demand. "

27-Jan-15
SteveD +1.

27-Jan-15
SteveD -1 - why stick it to someone else. Orionbrother had it right what other than just wanting someone else to pay more is the reason for increasing fees? It isn't like the DNR is using the money wisely.

27-Jan-15
doug…..It was brought up last year to improve public and state lands for deer hunting.

27-Jan-15
"I haven't seen anyone state that they desire increased fees to fund any new habitat projects, TSI or whatever"

Maybe you should read my posts better. I said I would gladly pay higher fees if the money went back into the resource. I have also said numerous times on this site that I would love to see some bow only draw to hunt public land in WI. But the whiny gun only hunters will never let that happen.

27-Jan-15
Maybe you should get off your high horse. Rutnut I was answering Doug.

27-Jan-15
My mistake Rutnut !

27-Jan-15
I missed that RutNut. I apologize.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios. I'm just asking that guys consider what I'm saying.

I'm not whining about WI. If anything, I was lamenting the stupid NR fees in IL. They have kept my wife's family from hunting here.

In my experience, it doesn't take much encouragement for any form of government to raise fees. They live for it around here.

If you guys get your wish and $500 NR tags come into existence, you may know some people or have some family who won't be joining you in the future.

I've got three younger kids. They aren't yet old enough to bowhunt. As it stands now, with their school schedule and my work schedule, I think that we'll be fortunate to do a couple of long weekend hunts with their WI cousins.

$1500 is a big commitment for a weekend or two. I know that I'm not alone in that.

27-Jan-15
Wonder how many of you that are NR's posting here are complaining to your DNR and or elected officials in your state you reside in about how high/unfair the non resident fees in your state are when compared to here? And what an unfair advantage it is for those who used to live there and want to come back to hunt. I dont see a damn thing wrong with reciprocal fees. Kind of levels the playing field.

28-Jan-15
It is one of the things that I sometimes shake my head at. The visitors here in the fall almost all are driving 40K trucks with an ATV in the back or pulling a trailer with a "Bad Boy Buggy" on the thing. It would seem that another couple hundred to get us closer to what we have to pay (read Illinois and Iowa)should be manageable. And paying a little sales tax while you are here doesn't cut it with me anyway. Anyone remember when Kansas didn't allow non-residents? There were a few states that took a stand and said "If our guys cannot hunt Kansas then the Kansas guys cannot come here". Making a statement sometimes works....Just my $.02-LC

28-Jan-15
SteveD,

Maybe you missed the part about both our state's bowhunting orgs opposing the fee hike here in IL?

28-Jan-15
I live in pheasant country, little deer hunting if any happens here. I don't bird hunt so complaining to my DNR is a waste of time about deer hunting. I do not drive a $40000 vehicle or own a 4wheller but I did spend $1300 in gas driving from October through end of November to hunt deer (no deer were taken by me). Since the MN fees for NR is lower than $160 would my WI license go down?

28-Jan-15
yes

28-Jan-15
"It is one of the things that I sometimes shake my head at. The visitors here in the fall almost all are driving 40K trucks with an ATV in the back or pulling a trailer with a "Bad Boy Buggy" on the thing."

Lame - Those guys stand out in WI, they stand out in IL. Lots of times, they stand out because they conduct themselves with a sense of entitlement and arrogance.

I have a long commute every day. I pass thousands of cars in each direction. The only ones that I notice are the ones that are driven by guys who are lane hopping, cutting off other drivers, gridlocking intersections etc.

Most of those guys with new trucks and four wheelers are probably decent guys, but you look at them askew because of the couple of jerks that you ran into at a gas station, while grabbing something to eat or at some watering hole. I tend to profile Lexus drivers myself.

My truck fell short of the $40K mark 16 years and 251,000 miles ago. I have a few pairs of bad-azz boots that take me where I want to go much more frugally than any Bad Boy Buggy, ATV or UTV.

You probably don't notice guys like me and the thousands of other guys who just blend in with the traffic, not crowding you in the woods and not talking chit in town.

I'm working hard to ensure that I can reach a point of having better disposable income, getting to where I have the freedom to not be concerned about the cost of tags for my kids. Someday, you may even take notice of the truck we're in, though it won't be towing a Bad Boy Buggy. I'll do my best to teach them right, to make sure that you don't notice my kids in the woods.

I hope you guys all have a good season. I hope that fortune smiles upon you and the price of IL tags become inconsequential and you can kill a good sized IL buck, even if you have a $12,000 four wheeler in or behind your truck. I'd appreciate it if you'd avoid carrying on too much in town.

28-Jan-15
Since there is no hunting in DC, there is no license cost it's $0. Does that mean I get to hunt for free ;-)

"buckmaster69

yes"

28-Jan-15
REally?….. Then you would have to pay Wisconsin NR fee.

28-Jan-15
JRW I guess so,my comment was more in line with the individuals posting about it and if they themselves did any protesting themselves about the NR fees. We could go on and on. I'm in favor of reciprocal NR fees,some here are not,simple as that.Nothing to lose sleep about.Disagreeing and expressing opposing views doesn't make one angry or having work related issues as some individuals here express or tend to convey.

28-Jan-15
Steve - Wasn't trying to convey anything about anyone having work related issues other than me. Shot you a PM to try to clarify.

I'll bow out. My desire was only to ask you guys to consider the people who might be negatively impacted by a big change. You might know some.

Sorry for continuing to kick the dead horse.

28-Jan-15
SteveD,

Indeed. We can all disagree and be friendly. Life would sure be boring if we all felt and thoguht the same way. :)

28-Jan-15
Still not sure why it is good for Wisconsin to be the Walmart of license fees. I'd like to go to Illinois and Iowa and hunt for a 160 tag fee...I guess I'm not sure why a whitetail in Ill-annoy is worth 3 times one in Wisconsin.

28-Jan-15
"Still not sure why it is good for Wisconsin to be the Walmart of license fees. I'd like to go to Illinois and Iowa and hunt for a 160 tag fee...I guess I'm not sure why a whitetail in Ill-annoy is worth 3 times one in Wisconsin."

Careful lc, some on this thread have already commented how thinking that way is just greedy;)

28-Jan-15
JRW agreed, have good one.

Orionsbrother -will check PM.

28-Jan-15
Rut...I do not consider it greedy when one of the states greets you on the freeway with "OK,open your wallet."

29-Jan-15
If the WI DNR doubles the NR tag price and half of the NR quit coming, how much money is the WI DNR losing?

Less hunters, less strain on a depleted resource.

29-Jan-15
If the price doubles and half quit coming, the DNR license revenue remains the same. However assuming each NR spends $500 on gas/food/lodging/taxes/etc, that's about $8 MIL reduction from the local economies.

(Actually data from the DNR shows the average spent by an NR in WI is $2400. That would make the economic impact MUCH greater ($38 MIL), however I couldn't see the breakdown of why the total retail related was so much higher. In reality its probably somewhere between the 2 numbers. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/2014deermp5.pdf )

About 5% of the hunters are NRs. Assuming the same % effect on NR deer kill of reducing the number of NRs by one half, the impact would be about 5,000 fewer deer killed last season. So roughly 186,000 deer killed instead of 191,000.

"BigPapaPump If the WI DNR doubles the NR tag price and half of the NR quit coming, how much money is the WI DNR losing?

Less hunters, less strain on a depleted resource. "

29-Jan-15
Come on……. your not worried about Wisconsins economy. Your worried about your pocket books!!! If you guys would get off your dead a$$es and get NR fees lowered in your state think of how that would help the economy where you live.

29-Jan-15
Mn and ohio are already less expensive. The dnr has stated numerous times most nrs are family coming home for the hunt. You dont raise the price of your product when you just saw a 20% drop in sales which is exactly what happened in 2014 when 6000 nrs said no thanks.

29-Jan-15
Its simple supply and demand. Wisconsin is blessed with a large herd relative to other states and the dnr will gladly sell as many buck tags as they can. Iowa and il dont have near the herd. Heck, a nr iowa landowner cant get an otc tag.

29-Jan-15
I am one that might draw in Iowa this year. for me the cost is worth it, but we all put our priorities in different places.....

but even now, they are getting to the point of no return for me, so this would be my last time there is I draw......

29-Jan-15
True November, far more land and deer here to hunt vs. large leases in many other states. Is it easier for the well-off to "buy a buck" in some other states? Perhaps, but if $ is no object they could buy or lease large tracts and do the same in WI, too (many already do). WI continues to put out monster bucks year after year in spite of some of the highest hunter densities in the country. The biggest bucks shot in Manitowoc, Kewaunee and Door counties in recent years, all big enough to crack into the top 10 gun or bow in the state in those respective years, were shot in areas with relatively high hunter pressure and multiple property owners. That's a big deal. On the other hand, and while I'm not downplaying their success, I've got friends who lease thousands of acres in Nebraska who pass up bigger bucks each year than I shoot. The nephew of one of them shot a buck that would have been 190-class this year if not for a couple broken tines. On a good day, they'll see 5-10 or more adult bucks. Does that make NE a better place to hunt, or is it simply because they are the only ones on thousands of acres of ground? Pretty easy call there.

29-Jan-15
I live in DC so non-resident license fees not applicable here, but I do also hunt Maryland which has NR license fees lower than Wisconsin's. I know people from the local archery club here that hunt deer in Virginia or West Virgina, both of those are lower than WI too. All three also allow bow and firearms hunting under the same NR license, which makes it substantially lower if you want to do both (some minor variances in cost of an archery stamp). And in Maryland I can hunt small game with the same license. If Wisconsin allowed reciprocity for Maryland hunters to buy licenses for both firearms and bow, it would be about half as much for the Maryland hunter as it costs now to hunt WI. I may be able to convince a few more of my buddies from here to go to WI for that low of a price ;-)

I'm not worried about anything, just stating facts and opinion. NR's are a low percentage of overall deer hunters in WI, but spend a lot of money per hunter. Those in high places who have probably done a cost benefit analysis do not see the merit in reducing NR's. It would be a small impact on deer kill, large impact on the economy.

"buckmaster69 Come on……. your not worried about Wisconsins economy. Your worried about your pocket books!!! If you guys would get off your dead a$$es and get NR fees lowered in your state think of how that would help the economy where you live."

29-Jan-15
Quick poll...Will it greatly impact you if the out-of-state guys get their panties in a bunch an stay home??? OK---I'll start it..not in the least. Talk has been about how much the guys spend..That's the deal for any vacation.

29-Jan-15
It greatly impacts dnr revenue and thats all that matters. $960 k lost last year alone. Then all the small businesses.

29-Jan-15
You mean the CC process that You have laughed off for years?

29-Jan-15
Where this would really impact me is with regard to my kids. School aged kids would not be hunting the majority of the bow season. I would be looking at a long weekend, maybe two. With three kids, plus gas, you're looking at a large expenditure for them to hunt a weekend with their cousins.

29-Jan-15
Orion, I believe nr kids under 18 get a break at $75, the first year is $5 i believe.

29-Jan-15
I guess I don't understand why all the anger about NR hunters. They are 5% of the overall number of firearms hunters. Assuming they account for 5% of the deer kill, that's about 9500 deer out of 190,000 last year. Whats the big deal? A lot of them are like me, born and raised there but working elsewhere now, will return at some point and probably retire there. In the meantime we return with kids to hunt with family and friends. Are we creating that many problems?

"lame crowndip

Quick poll...Will is greatly impact you if the out-of-state guys get their panties in a bunch an stay home??? OK---I'll start it..not in the least. Talk has been about how much the guys spend..That's the deal for any vacation. "

29-Jan-15
Orion,

You can get the kids junior conservation tags. For less than half the NR archery tag price they get pretty much everything -- small game, turkeys, archery and firearms deer, two statewide doe tags etc.. It's a heck of a deal.

29-Jan-15
I dont understand why nrs disagree with reciprocity. With low numbers in the north it will add more pressure by nrs in areas with descent hunting. Its time to make it right and hike up the fee. Why is Iowa the go to state for giant bucks with less land mass as Wi? Because they value their deer and have a waiting period for tags. Makes for an all around better hunting experience for everyone. Just think of the potential Wi has.

29-Jan-15
Not 1 state has reciprocity. Most nrs are hunting private family lands anyway.Iowa does not have near the deer herd so simple supply and demand. Like much of the west a finite resource forces a draw similar to the wisconsin bear/wolf draw.

29-Jan-15
November, you nailed that one. He's always been a whiner on the CC process unless it suits his agenda, then he'll tout it as a win. From whine to win to whine again, over and over and over.

29-Jan-15
At one time We had 22 guys in our Northern Deer camp,Now we have 4 of us that stay all season (rifle) and some that hunt bow season of these 2 are NR that are Adult kids hunting with there Dads. They only hunt for 2 days. Raising prices could be a problem. Shucks they haven't seen a deer for several years. Now Grouse hunters are another story They are everywhere, Talk about affecting Bow hunters.

29-Jan-15
At one time We had 22 guys in our Northern Deer camp,Now we have 4 of us that stay all season (rifle) and some that hunt bow season of these 2 are NR that are Adult kids hunting with there Dads. They only hunt for 2 days. Raising prices could be a problem. Shucks they haven't seen a deer for several years. Now Grouse hunters are another story They are everywhere, Talk about affecting Bow hunters.

29-Jan-15
dc ….Any time you NR don't get your way its anger at you. Its about being fair for hunters who would like to hunt other states like Iowa or Illinois !!!! First off I don't care if your a NR at all. If you guys don't want to be fair…….. Then NR fees should be raised at least $100. If you don't like it don't hunt here.

29-Jan-15
The thing is, people like DC and November are still going to hunt here. Why? Because they own land here and can afford it. Even if the price of a NR bow or gun license was 300 a year as long as it remained otc they would be back. This is NOT a knock on people that are well off. People work their asses off, and should enjoy the fruits of their labor. I would also support raising resident tags to 40.00 a tag. Believe me, this would be hard on my pocket book come license time between me and the kids. But if it was guaranteed to go back into managing deer/habitat and paying for more wardens, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Why is it always the ones that can afford to spend a little more, complain the most about doing it?

29-Jan-15
The way some guys come across is "How dare you want to treat us the way we treat you!!!" Reciprocity should be the rule not the exception. If we would adopt reciprocity the quick way around it would be for some states to LOWER their tag fees. Rut....+a bazillion. There also seems to be a sense of entitlement with this thread by a limited few.

29-Jan-15
Rut, yes I would pay a hike to a point then simply get free ag tags. I look at the macro,big picture. The Dnr lost 6,000 nrs and $960k in revenue.How many wardens would that pay for? That hurts everyone.I would call 600 of the 6,000 nr dropouts and ask them why? Big picture, antlerless harvest was down due to tag fees being raised from free/$2 to $12/$20. The Dnr stated so in the 2014 deer hunt report and I saw the same comment in my counties Cdac minutes.Bad deal as now the central farmland dpsm will explode.

29-Jan-15
"antlerless harvest was down due to tag fees being raised from free/$2 to $12/$20."

of course they were down with the fee increase. The large gun groups don't go out and get multiple 12.00 tags to fill like they do the 2.00 ones.

29-Jan-15
I haven't read all 100+ posts, so excuse me if someone else said this already.

With the DNR selling around 72,000 anterless tags this year, which generated around $850,000, this has offset the lower sales in Non Resident licenses. I love the fact that we are at least putting a value on a deer's head, as opposed to just giving away 4 free tags every day of the season in the old cwd zone.

30-Jan-15
Two wrongs don't make it right. Just because other states are crappy when it comes to non-resident hunters doesn't mean WI should do the same thing. I don't really get the angst against the non-resident? It's not like most are probably hunting for months on end like the residents do. I would also bet most do not have an "if it's brown it's down attitude." How much negative impact do they have for the resident hunter? What is the DNR going to do with the "extra money".

I admit I am a non-resident who owns land in Wisconsin. If they doubled the fee I would still pay it. If I had to wait to 3 years to hunt a buck like in Iowa, I can guarantee I would not have bought my property. But maybe that is the goal???

Carry on.

30-Jan-15
Rut, great post.

30-Jan-15
I currently live in MN, but own land and hunt in WI. Every year this argument comes up. It seems to become even more vocal when the quality of hunts is perceived to be lower than desired expectations. The conversation usually starts out w/ "Jack up NR rates", shortly followed up by "If those guys in 50K trucks toting 12 ATVs to their 1MM lake homes want to play in WI..."

Seriously. Most of us aren't kin to Bill Gates. Most of us have family in WI, and we enjoy our times together in the outdoors. Most of us respect WI resources the same way we do in our own states.

NRs are not in any way contributing significantly to problems w/ the WI deer herd. If anything, they help prop up local economies, particularly in the North, where the reduction in quality game/resources has lead to a reduction in traffic and business. IF you actually think doubling, tripling, etc, NR fees will solve any deer-related problem, please, please explain to us how it will accomplish that. Otherwise, quit beating around the bush and get to the point: "I had a crappy hunting season. I'm not happy with the way things are going, whether in the outdoors, or perhaps life in general. I don't like the fact that others may not be in the same boat as me. I know! Let's take it out on the damn Non-Residents! Yeah! Whew, man, I feel better."

And yes, I 100% support reciprocity, if it's actually determined that reciprocity, in any way, is directly correlated to the quality of the outdoor experience, and will in any way help optimize the heath and management of the state's resources. If not, it's just noise, same as the "you baiters keep stealing all my deer" nonsense.

30-Jan-15
Another story! bszczerbiak….. I had a great deer season. We just get tired of the sob stories!!!

30-Jan-15
What sob stories? I and others posted that the hypothetical of raising fees to $500 would have a negative impact on some families, mine included.

No one requested a telethon or gofundme to pay for tags.

30-Jan-15
I did have a wonderful season (thanks for asking)...Minnesota would not be at all effected by any reciprocity as they're not gouging us. I have not noticed any posts (residents) that seem to think that any hunts would be better except financially the field would be more level. As this sort of forum has absolutely NO effect on the fees charged, I'm not likely to add more. LC

30-Jan-15
With WI "open for business," I don't think we'll see much more than a small hike. I could see going to $200, but doubt you'll see it with declining sales right now. Plus, new license year begins with sales in March. No way they change it before then.

30-Jan-15
I'm all for reciprocity, my NR license for WI would be a lot cheaper with reciprocity than it is now.

"lame crowndip

The way some guys come across is "How dare you want to treat us the way we treat you!!!" Reciprocity should be the rule not the exception. If we would adopt reciprocity the quick way around it would be for some states to LOWER their tag fees. Rut....+a bazillion. There also seems to be a sense of entitlement with this thread by a limited few. "

30-Jan-15
" Reciprocity should be the rule not the exception." That explains why none of the 50 states has it then. Every state has varying supply and demand for each species. Every DNR has and will run their own ship.OTC in Co. except trophy units which then means 10-15 years building points. This whole discussion furthers the divide between private vs. public. I bet a far greater % of nrs hunt private lands vs. res.

30-Jan-15
orionbrother…. don't care!!!

30-Jan-15
OK Have a good season. Best of luck to you.

01-Feb-15
Illinois has (or had as of a couple years ago) reciprocity with out of state sport trolling licenses on Lake Michigan. We pay them whatever price our state would charge one of their residents.

01-Feb-15
Thats the way it should be !!!!!!

• Sitka Gear