sas67 26-Jan-15
cbjsjr 26-Jan-15
cnichols 27-Jan-15
Brianbowhunter 27-Jan-15
jax2009r 28-Jan-15
skipmaster1 29-Jan-15
CT bow junkie 26-Feb-15
24-Jan-15
i'm sure there are some guys on this site that used crossbows last year and i was just wondering what your thoughts were,likes or dislikes, range advantage, clumsy or not? the reason i ask is i had several chances at deer 40 yards and out but i am not comfortable of a clean kill at that range. i love the bow but am considering a crossbow and don't know much about them. thanks for any info

24-Jan-15
There good to 40 yards under perfect condition I have never shot a deer past 20 with one ,there nice. In cold weather ,there're a pain to carry and unload ,tree stands no way as good as a compound if you think you can get on and just shoot deer at longer distance don't get one .they drop way faster than a compound so if your off by 5 yards you can wound or miss I hope this helps .Steve

24-Jan-15
I used one in Virginia and can say I dont believe they have an edge in long distance. Only plus is not having to draw back giving yourself away to the deer. I found it to be a nightmare carrying to the stand as their was no easy comfortable way to carry it. Stick with the bow as you will eventually get deer in range. The reason why we use the bow is for the challenge and deer being out of range is part of the game. I agree with steve if thats the reason dont get it, 40 yards a bit far for the crossbow.

24-Jan-15
I have one and have taken 3 deer with it... but I prefer my Elite compound. I will use the crossbow for ground blind hunting and ground hunting spring turkey only. Hate it in the tree, seems awkward and I have much more confidence with the compound.

24-Jan-15
Sorry guys....I disagree with most everything stated about xbows...especially from Steve. No offense. Just my 2 cents so hear me out since the original poster wants opinions...NOT ABSOLUTES like a lot of you guys on this forum think you provide on a daily basis.

First thing, I cock my crossbow at my truck before going in for a hunt so it's to the stand and up the tree. No issues with carrying it etc. Buy a sling! Once I'm in the stand I place a bolt into the barrel and hang it just like my compound from a bow holder or hook. Not difficult. If you Want to hold it or rest it on a gun rail...perfect as well. This is where the advantage comes in...if a deer comes in you stay on your ass and take the crossbow off the hanger or lift it to your shoulder. For those guys who have to stand to take shots with their bow...you don't even have to think about doing this anymore. You of course still need to think about moving yourself to get a better angle, etc....but movement is restricted as no draw cycle is needed as well. Also...not sure what model Steve is using but mine drops about 4" from 20 yards to 40. Much less than any compound I've shot. And yes...I did take a deer at 42 yards this year in PERFECT conditions with it piling up after 10 yards.

The big thing is, just like I would expect any ethical Hunter to do....PRACTICE and know your equipment !!!! Know your limitations as well!! This is the least you can do out of respect for the animal. You can't just grab one and expect to treat it like a gun( I know a lot of people treat it as such and that is totally wrong.) This was my first year in that woods with one (wanted to see what the hype is all about) and prior to going hunting I put almost 1K bolts through it. Most were from a treestand I set in my yard to practice at all angles and yardages. With that being said...with practice you become better....and with this I have zero issues reloading in the tree in about 10 secs flat. I don't get how guys say they are cumbersome, etc. Maybe it's operator error???? Just like old vs new bows technology changes. The ability to use a magnified optic is ten-fold as well as you can deliver more precise placement of a bolt into a small target. Aim small miss small...sounds ethical to me.

Will I exclusively substitute a xbow for my compound...never. It is just another tool in the woods and a way to enjoy the great sport of ARCHERY which I dearly love. God knows we have a long season and whatever breaks up the pace so be it. PS I also love gun hunting as well...never did I confuse the two.

25-Jan-15
They don't appeal to me. I shot a friends and found it to be more like a bow-gun. I could split my own arrow at 20 yards, even with a trigger that felt like ten pounds. It was front heavy, awkward but easy to crank and load. If I get old or injured and cannot draw a hunting bow in the future, I'd use one but I'd have a tear in my eye.

25-Jan-15
Just so you know I shot a 175 lb ten point. I have 3 dots in the scope if I put the 40 yars pin on the target at 50 yards thr bolt will hit the ground in a tree if a deer comes in from the left or right and you have to turn the limbs hit the tree that is my observation I hunt with it most of the season since I hurt my shoulder .Maybe you can find someone in your area to try one were do you live ? Steve

25-Jan-15
I have to say I agree with Cranial. No problem carrying it with a sling. I cock it at my truck and load up when Im at my stand. Only downfall in stand is getting a different angle to shoot can be annoying at best. It all comes down to personal preference and practice. If you are good with a compound past 40 or 50 yards then I do not see any advantage with a crossbow. They are faster but who cares! I bought a Wicked Ridge by Ten Point. Not top of the line but its smaller, lighter and cost effective than some X bows and kills them dead just as good.

25-Jan-15
I have a kodabow crossbow I hunt with when its real cold or I am out on the ground, great American company and its a standard recurve so you can change the string in 5 minutes. At 60 yards its accurate to 2 inches but hard to take that shot because it's pretty loud. Built on ar15 spec so add on parts are easy to add. If you ever want to try it let me know.

25-Jan-15
I used my Xbox for the first time this season after buying it originally for my son. I think it works well for late season because of the cold and lack of cover in my tree stand locations..If you have hunted for awhile you know that pulling back 60t#'s after sitting still for 4 hours in the cold doesn't work to well and that trying to draw your bow with little cover isn't that easy to get away with either. It took me awhile to use the Xbow for hunting as I thought it was more like cheating, I was wrong. It's just another method to enjoy our sport and increase our odds at sucsesfully harvesting a whitetail. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer my compound but when the mercury drops and the leaves are gone, I will have a Xbow on my lap.

26-Jan-15
I diasgree with Steve aswell. You can shoot a deer at 90 yards with those things.

26-Jan-15
ball buster !!

26-Jan-15
LOL

26-Jan-15
I to hurt my shoulder last year and was able to hunt with my ten point . I now only use it in the late season when it is cold out . I love the ten point nice cross bow . They are heavy and I do have a sling hope this helps you out !! Sas

26-Jan-15
There are alot of crossbows on the market but the words dependable and quality can both be used for Ten Point. I also have a Wicked Ridge crossbow and truely enjoy shooting it and have been successful for the past 2 seasons. After 40 plus years of shooting recurves and compounds my shoulder has paid the price and the crossbow makes shooting enjoyable again. Ten Point makes great products.

27-Jan-15
Extreme, I debated getting a crossbow for 2 years. 1st year I decided to go traditional a bought recurve. Last year went with crossbow.A lot of different opinions on the forums, and makes it difficult to decide,no offense to anyone on here.What helped me most was calling wyvern creations in new Hampshire.The guy is very helpful and kept me on the phone twice 2 years ago for 30 minutes educating me on them.He also advised going local and shooting as many as I can whether I bought from him or not.The end of this past season I did buy from him.gI've him a call and you will learn all you want to know.

27-Jan-15
One thing about a crossbow to remember also is that is really more dangerous than a gun in many ways. People have the mindset it's just a bow but it can misfire or go off unexpected. It's easier for a gun hunter cause he has the rifle mindset but something a bow only hunter has to remember.

28-Jan-15
I have a ten point maverick....

Bigger than a bow and harder to get around the woods...yes I have a sling but with a climber on your back its a pain...

alittle of a pain to have to shoot it at the end of the hunt.....

requires less practice than a compound...

My range in the woods in 20 to 30....at the range 40 to 50.....for me too much can go wrong at 40 or 50 to shoot but thats me...

in woods that are wide open its nice to not have to draw back...just shoot....

I like to use them both x bow and compound...

29-Jan-15
I think overall they are an inferior weapon compared to someone who puts in time practicing with a compound. The pros are, you can get on target with little practive, can shoot even if you can't pull back a bow and you don't have as much movement to take a shot. The cons, you can't shoot directly behind your tree, you only get one shot, so no follow up or taking multiple deer in a group. Not as easy to shoot as accurately as a compound if you don't have a rest. A compound can hold its own in accuracy out to at least 50 yards. The crossbow is louder.

I've shot both and think that as long as you are able to shoot a vertical bow and take the time to practice, they outperform a crossbow.

26-Feb-15
I just ordered a new bowtech prodigy and I'm thinking of dropping a down payment on a Excalibur crossbow.

• Sitka Gear