Antler Whore 28-Jan-15
nutritionist 21-Feb-15
Bloodtrail 21-Feb-15
Naz 21-Feb-15
Piquaspat 22-Feb-15
razorhead 23-Feb-15
>>>--arrow1--> 23-Feb-15
24-Jan-15
I am interested in starting a mineral site this spring so I read through all the regulations on baiting and feeding. I am in a non-cwd county. What I came to understand is that you can only bait/feed while deer season is open. That makes it sound like no one can have a mineral site or anything else setup to feed deer during any other time of the year yet lots of people talk freely about setting up mineral sites all the time. Am I missing something or not understanding something correctly?

25-Jan-15
Can't legally do it. But there seem to be a lot of magic stumps in the woods.

25-Jan-15
You are correct, no mineral unless during the open season. OR within 50 yards of an inhabited dwelling. But why follow this law, most in WI do not and the DNR does not seem to care. Every year people brazenly put pics on the net of buck at their illegal mineral sites. Some of these people are outfitters and TV hosts and use these pics on their websites/shows. It would be extremely easy for the DNR to track them down, IF they wanted to.

25-Jan-15
+1rut

25-Jan-15
Thanks for clarification. That's how I figured it was but I just wanted to confirm.

25-Jan-15
I wouldn't worry too much about setting up mineral sites..as posted here they really don't care or they would follow up on postings of pics...it comes down to a person squealing on you....For example....it took a few years before this one guy on here got nabbed and there are a ton more..

Personally.. Mineral sites should be promoted by the DNR.. So many regions of the state have poor soils and are deficient of vital minerals to help the deer reach good health.

They are ok dumping corn all over.. but set up something that actually benefits the deer... No way..go figure

25-Jan-15
I don't understand their reasoning on mineral sites either. Just one more hoop to jump through.

25-Jan-15
The dnr are concerned with close contact at sites and cwd transmission. No different than baitpiles.

26-Jan-15
I know why they say they are doing it, but there is no logic in their reasoning.

26-Jan-15

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
""The dnr are concerned with close contact at sites and cwd transmission No different than baitpiles. ""

Or Bait Plots

26-Jan-15
Antler Whore ""They are ok dumping corn all over.. but set up something that actually benefits the deer... No way..go figure ""

If you follow the law you can put mineral out just like 2 gallons of corn.

It's really funny! When I turkey hunt in sothern Wis all the stores that are selling mineral even in the cwd zones. I can't understand why people would drive all the way down there to buy mineral to use out of the cwd zones. LOL

26-Jan-15
I would think the spread of Cwd would be much lower we be much lower with food plots. Corn piles are 2'×2' area while food plots are typically at least a 1/4 acre. A lot of standing corn right now and that will spread cwd as fast as a 2' corn pile?

26-Jan-15
2 gallons spread over a 40. Lol. Rc- Is that one curnel of corn every 50 feet? I'm sure baiters typically put them in piles which isn't much over 2 foot area.

26-Jan-15
Ron...

Last time I looked BuffaloBucks designated this as a debate-free thread so he could have his inquiry addressed.

If you want to debate and defend baiting you really should start your own thread.

26-Jan-15
I've been putting in food plots for about 5 yrs now. Since then we've seen more deer, healthier deer, and bigger deer. I've encouraged all our neighbors to put in plots also. Yes they are designed to attract deer, just like scents, grunt calls, rattling horns, etc.

26-Jan-15
""I've been putting in food plots for about 5 yrs now. Since then we've seen more deer, healthier deer, and bigger deer. I've encouraged all our neighbors to put in plots also. Yes they are designed to attract deer""

And congregate deer on private property!

26-Jan-15
The difference is Mineral links supplement important nutrients that is not available in all areas... This benifits the herd.. Deer on a corn diet for 6+months of the year get the craps.. and all sorts of other complications... Mineral links should be promoted... but instead they are treated like a sack of bait...I don't get that.. but the law is the law... it makes about as much sense as keeping bait and feeding which does nothing but kill more deer off and is counter productive... but that's just fine... Mineral links ... no ooh way.. bad bad..LOL

26-Jan-15
Deer 'congregate' in areas they feed. Just like many acres of ag land still standing. I would rather they 'congregate' in a 100 yard long fields instead of a 2 foot wide pile.

26-Jan-15
I just drove by a fresh cut corn field last night in southern Marathon cty...bet there was 75 deer out there..LOL...Better ban farming

26-Jan-15
Rc- not true. Anyone that understands the benefits of food plots realizes that if there neighbors are plotting also is will be even better for the herd overall. I've even worked up ground in the past for neighbors and just over the weekend shared deer cam pics of the same bucks with neighbors 2 miles from our property.

26-Jan-15
Baiting does not have 1 positive effect on the deer.. not 1... yet mineral sites do...apples and oranges

26-Jan-15
I agree RJN 100%... but this is the bait piles last defense... LOL

26-Jan-15
Rc- I can see it as a problem up north but by us with all the ag fields people plant beans, corn, turnips, etc. The human intrusion of dumping corn piles which has been known to have negative effect on deer nutritionally makes no sense to me. Also 2 gallons of corn would be wiped out by turkeys, coon, and squirrels in one day.

26-Jan-15
""Baiting does not have 1 positive effect on the deer.. not 1... yet mineral sites do...apples and oranges"" HA! Baiting on public lands or on lands that you can't plant bait plots around private helps keep the deer distributed rather then congregating them on private land as bait plots do with tons and tons of bait.. And if you believe the WDNR the more deer you congregate the more likely deer will get CWD.

26-Jan-15
Foodplots/ba itplots will never be banned as the DNR can not legally define them.per the thread mineral sites are illegal off season statewide and only 2 gallons/40 during season where baiting is still legal.

26-Jan-15
Farms with grass fed cattle have mineral blocks all over the place, and you can see deer feeding inside the small fences right along with the cows. I've yet to hear of a DNR warden enforcing a mineral lick no matter where it sits. You guys can argue this all day but bottom line is it's a non-issue. As for deer getting the craps from corn, I've never seen it. Deer still take advantage of browse and any greens they can get at, even in winter.

26-Jan-15
They get the craps and it causes severe dehydration ... and eventual death in long cold springs .. never seen or heard of 1 study saying deer get the craps and dehydration from feeding naturally...or on farm fields... yet lots of folks know about the dehydration caused by steady replenished piles of corn..

On the other hand minerals are only used when they are called for...if the deer don't need a mineral boost.. they don't use any or as much... but keep dumping your pile for 6 months to feed the same pet deer ... and you will have dehydrated deer and some will die if spring is cold and wet ...

26-Jan-15

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
RC knows a lot on this subject. Here is a granular salt dump but he was saying it was a scent station. LOL

This was before the plane spotted his corn pile.

27-Jan-15
Now that is funny stuff there FIP. Scent station yeah right LOL.

28-Jan-15
Our group has used mineral since the 1990s and definitely, that's what happens to vegetation in the area. Some of our spots are craters now. Seeing a mature buck like that one on cam is pretty common in summer if you don't intrude too often. Not so much once the velvet comes off and the hunting seasons begin.

28-Jan-15
Nice one FIP..Scent LOL.. Mature deer in day light?? It's in velvet... not hunting season... Helllloooooooo. .BS king Too funny

21-Feb-15
I have been involved with formulating deer minerals and deer nutrition products for about 24 years. That being said, another option for bait free areas is planting food plots. Various species are higher in protein and minerals than others. No matter what one plants there is also ways to increase protein, minerals and energies on anything you plant and it all starts with a healthy soil. A sound fertilization program mixes with foliar feeding is all really inexpensive ways to get more into every bite of anything a deer consumes.

21-Feb-15
Antler - I've been absent for a awhile - I'm back nice too see your just as ill informed as when I took my leave.

Buck in velvet makes it a non-hunting season? There are plenty of bucks shot while still in velvet from time to time and even here in this State.

Same ole' same ole'!!

21-Feb-15
Photo shows Aug. 27 …. not hunting season … but agree an occasional buck still in velvet in early-opener years, but still pretty rare. Even hunting in Saskatchewan in early September for a "velvet hunt" more than a decade ago saw plenty of bone.

22-Feb-15
Can someone direct me to a thread about hunting? I seemed to have stumbled on something to do with raising livestock.

23-Feb-15
I am against baiting, because I believe the deer would move better in the north without it......

Other than crops for cash or consumption, I am against food plots, with who no whats in some of those seeds etc.......

But that genie has past, its out of the bottle, its a cash cow, so it is what it is

There is a big difference with me hunting a natural orchard, a farm field of crops, etc, than a planted kill plot.....

Sitting on 2 gallons of bait, to kill a deer is not fair chase, in my opinion,,,,,,,

I know my views are not shared by many, that is okay, that is just how I feel,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Different world today............. But I would like to see some areas of the north, at least bait free

Never going to happen,,,,,,,,,,,,

23-Feb-15
"""There is a big difference with me hunting a natural orchard, a farm field of crops, etc, than a planted kill plot"" No such thing as a " Natural Orchard " All man planted at some time history.

""" But I would like to see some areas of the north, at least bait free """ Area with Washburn Co. in it is bait free.

• Sitka Gear