BOWJO 26-Jan-15
Flatlander 26-Jan-15
Treerat 26-Jan-15
DcoleinPA 27-Jan-15
Flatlander 27-Jan-15
Treerat 27-Jan-15
Harv 27-Jan-15
25-Jan-15
Just wondering how many days on average you guys spend in the field. Do you takes annual trips to different states, do you take days or weeks of vacation to hunt? Do you go out after work everyday? Are you a weekend hunter? Are you an avid backpacker, or buschcrafter who spends days to weeks in the backcountry? I'm not giving an award to the guy or gal that spends the most time out. Just wondering!

25-Jan-15
Since I got my current part time job, I hunt every morning and every afternoon in archery season until my tags are full. 2 seasons ago I got a buck on the last day. I often leave my doe tag for second season. I work at home and hunt where I live so I walk to my stands. I often take a disabled guy, my wife and a couple friends out if my tags are flled.

I have gone to West Virginia and Ohio some over the past 7 years. Usually it was during our season, but this year it was after ours was over. I have also been to Canada, North Caroline and the above 2 states in September before our season once each.

I am 62 and although I have a tree umbrella, I seldom go out in the rain. I will go in a blind since getting a couple in recent years.

I rifle hunt in rifle season, but once killed a p and y 10 point on opening day in Chester county.

25-Jan-15
I'm in the woods about twice a week all year long. Can't get enough of it!

25-Jan-15
This post reminds me that I need to start a hunting journal!

During early archery I usually hunt 2-3 days a week(couple afternoons and a sat morning), the last 2 weeks of the season I try to get out as much as the wife and kidos permit. I typically take 5-7 days off work during those weeks.

on average.... Rifle bear 2 days, rifle deer 2-3 days, flintlock 5-6 days, spring turkey 4-5 days.

This year allot of my outdoor time has been spent training my 6 month old Brittany. My goal with him is to have him steady on grouse some day, we shall see? usually run him 2-3 days a week for a couple hours. Since Christmas we have flushed 10 grouse in 14 hours in the woods. I have not had this much fun in the woods since I was introduced to a bow. he is showing some promise and im planning to keep him on grouse throughout the year.

I like to take a trip every couple years. Hunted NM 3 times, ohio, new York and maine. Heading back to elk country this year, either montana or Oregon.

garden, wood, groundhogs...... endless reasons to get off the couch. I love being outdoors and allot of the time my wife complains about it, "cant you ever just sit down and watch a movie".

25-Jan-15
I take two weeks off to bowhunt, usually Oct 29- Nov 13. I sit all day during those two weeks and all day any day off for a week after that. I hunt Ohio & PA every year. I used to also hunt NY every year but have cut down on that since my kids were born. I can be in Ohio or NY in a 45 minute drive West (Ohio) East (NY) from my home.

Ohio's season starts a week before PA's and I Start hunting that week. I will bow hunt evenings before work at least 3 days a week and on my two days off every week until my vacation. After my vacation I start all over again hunting as many days as I can before or after work and on my days off.

I love gun hunting to and usually get out almost every day during gun season and muzzeloader season in Ohio. I hunt 2-3 days a week in extended archery season until it ends in Febuary in Ohio.

Can't give an exact number but I guess I spend well over 400 hours sitting in stands archery hunting from late Sept to Feburary. I easily spend twice that much time if not more scouting shed hunting and checking my cameras.

Like bushy I can't get enough of it, it's a 365 day a year deal for me, I never stop scouting.

Then there is turkey season, I hunt Ohio & PA as much as possiable, I can hunt several mornings because I work third shift, just depends on how little sleep I want to go on.

Also do lots of work in the garden all summer and I split about 4-5 cords of wood with a maul during the summer. Yeah I'm pretty active.

I also spend lots of time in the summer exploring creeks around the house with my 5&6 year old boys they call it going on adventures and we try to camp a few times on my days off but there is a campfire every night I have off all summer, the kids love campfires.

Mike

25-Jan-15
An easier and shorter conversation would be about when I'm not hunting.

25-Jan-15
I have hunted 7 states so far. In recent years I have been going to SC for our annual trad bow hog hunt with the tribe. Still hunting the cypress swamps with longbow in hand is about the coolest thing you can ever do.

I have good hunting for deer, squirrels, and groundhogs out my back door. I work nearby so I can hunt almost every evening and on Saturdays.

26-Jan-15
My wife thinks I spend to much time in the woods, I think I don't spend enough time anymore.

I'm in the same boat as treerat. I used to hunt Pa, Oh, and Wv. But, with two little ones now, I had to cut back. Now it's just Pa and Oh.

During the season, I hunt everyday the first week or so. I work shifts and my days off usually fall during the week. I hunt evenings on daylight or night turn and mornings on afternoon shift. I'll hunt mornings and evenings on my off days. The 2nd and 3rd week of the season, I only go out a few times and usually only hunt evenings then. Starting around October 20th, I go everyday up until my 2 week vacation and then I head to Ohio for that.

This time of year, I get out as much as I can to scout or shed hunt. I start putting trail cams out in Pa and Ohio around mid July. Also start hanging stands in both states around the same time. I also put a lot of miles on my truck and waste a lot of gas in July and August riding around in the evenings looking for deer in fields.

I got several trips planned to Ohio in the next 2 months to scout and shed hunt. My cousin informed me about another 100 acre property that he got permission on, can't wait to scout that!

Hopefully when my son gets a little older (only 10 months now) I'll be able to get out a little more.

Ben

26-Jan-15
Glad to see that some of you guys narrowed it down to number of days and how much vacation you take. So Roger you spend the majority of your time in the woods?

26-Jan-15
Also see a few of you are taking two weeks of your vacation to hunt.

Tree Rat kudos to you. Two weeks dark to dark in a stand. I could never spend that much time in a stand. A combination of ground and stand maybe. There are only a few days I hunt dark to dark during my vacation.

Do any of you participate in activities other than hunting that involve the outdoors? Backpacking, cross country skiing, rock climbing, orienteering, geocaching, etc?

26-Jan-15
Chuck,

I take a week or maybe a little bit more off of work during bow season, but that week may or may not be consecutive days.

The same goes for fishing - I'll take off a week or so to do some fishing/kayaking in the late spring/early summer.

At least one day per weekend this time of year is spent hiking in the woods. That is my absolute favorite time of the year to be checking out different areas. Finding old scrapes and rubs (and sometimes even fresh ones) and checking out how the trails are relating to food and bedding areas gives me ideas on how I'll hunt those areas the next fall.

A third week off is spent on various skeet fields in MD, VA, and PA. That third week off equates to a bunch of Fridays off for travel time to the tournaments.

The rest of my year outdoors is spent in the vegetable garden or splitting and stacking firewood for the next winter. Except of course when the wifey pulls out her "Dave's list of crap he hasn't finished in the past 30 years." :^)

26-Jan-15
Dave, those lists stick around for 30 years?

I'm screwed........

26-Jan-15
This is good. It makes me smile. Reminds me of my younger days, when I had a real job and kids growing up. I used to say, "I work this job so I can go hunting." I loved shift work then.

I guess I am lucky that I made my hobby into my job at least somewhat, and I get to live where I hunt. It is great dealing with other hunters all the time.

I also hunt all turkey season in May as long as I have tags. I called in birds for 3 guys and 2 of them scored.

I love to shed hunt in the winter when I am home and have time. I went from finding 2 a year to finding 8 last year and 15 the year before.

I do not get any paid vacation per se however, I amass a lot of hours working approximately 4 sports expos in the winter, UBP Club campouts in the summer and attending various meetings. I then take comp time in hunting season, so I have to work even less hours so they don't have to pay me overtime.

I also have a place to hunt in Georgia with my brother and I am thinking about starting to hunt there while I am on vacation at Christmas time visiting my granddaughters.

26-Jan-15
Bogey,

Those wives are like elephants - they never forget. :^)

Heck, me 'n Mary Ann have been joined at the hip for almost 37 years and I'm dang sure she'd remember down to the year, month, day, hour, minute and second that item #1 appeared on "the list". :^)

26-Jan-15
Mary Ann deserves a gold medal:)

26-Jan-15
Yes she does RC...yes she does.

And BTW, so does Chris - maybe even two. :^)

26-Jan-15
Chuck sitting all day is not to bad, I break the day up by rewarding myself with something to eat and drink at certain times of the day, when I sit till 10am I reward myself with a candy bar a sip of gator aid and a bit of trail mix. Works for me. I see more mature bucks in November between 10am and 2pm where I hunt than any other time frame. Shot a bunch of nice one around noon. That's why I do it.

Mike

26-Jan-15
I pretty much live to bowhunt. It was one of the driving forces to me starting my own business; being able to take time off when I want to, and not having to schedule vacation. This year it started the third week of September and will end mid Feb. in N.J. I did eleven all day sits this year including five strait in Kentucky. That was tough! Even Sundays; I live about ten miles from N.J. and can be on stand over there in about forty minutes. I am very blesssed to have a supportive wife who appreciates a freezer filled with venison and other wild game; and a son who is poised to manage the business while I'm away.

Like Mike and Ben, between scouting,walking properties, hiking, picking mushrooms, backpack training and actual hunting it is a year round occurence. It's a miracle I haven't gotten lymes disease.

26-Jan-15
Mike not doubt, and I do hunt from dark to dark, just not daily for two weeks. I don't eat candy and trail mix is for yuppies:)

26-Jan-15
They sell those little packets of trail mix at Walmart by the case, it's just easy to carry, although I'm not a chocolate fan either my pack has 3 bite size snickers with almonds, 3 jalopino cheese sticks, three trail mix packs a sandwitch with Cajun chicken or turkey on seeded rye and hot pepper cheese cut in half in two separate lunch bags and a 20 oz Gatorade. That's all it takes to get ole mossy horns! Yummy yuppie stuff ; )

Mike

27-Jan-15
I'm not sure how much time I spend in the woods. I am lucky to have a job with a lot of freedom. no benefits or paid vacation but I can work a bunch and then take off a bunch. I mainly hunt PA but will be hunting NY and PA a lot as I am moving there. I usually go to Missouri every other spring to turkey hunt and went in the fall of 2013 to bow hunt. During the rut phases I hunt as much I can take and love every second of it. Turkey season I have gone pretty hard the last 5 years but I see that taking a backseat in priorities soon. No wife or kids at the moment so I am getting it in while I can!

I am pretty sure I have scouted more since mid November until now than I have in the last few years combined.

Mike, I do the same thing! yuppie treats at 10,12 and 2 haha

27-Jan-15
Everything in three's Mike? Little OCD my man:)

27-Jan-15
10, 12 and 2....OCD yep that's me, but I have put down a Samich to shoot a swamp donkey before.

27-Jan-15
I'm in the woods once a week minimum, plus 3 weeks vacation spent mostly in the woods during the rut and buck season whether in Ohio or Pa, but maybe a day crappie fishing at Pymatuning. Most of the time I'm putzing around looking for deer/turkey sign, hanging wood duck boxes, shed hunting, moving stands, improving habitat, etc. And you definitley want to be in the woods in November betweeen 10 and 2! Just saying.

• Sitka Gear