Utah
Contributors to this thread:
glunker 26-Jan-15
c3 27-Jan-15
happyhunter 29-Jan-15
YZF-88 29-Jan-15
YZF-88 29-Jan-15
26-Jan-15
Looking at last years draw on NR San Juan archery and the late bison hunt a lot of points were applied to hunts that only had one tag, hence there was not a max point tag drawn. Prior years there were 2 tags for these hunts and a max pt tag awarded. Did the applicants know this when they applied in 2014 or were the tags reduced to just one late in the application process?

27-Jan-15
In Utah tags numbers have been determined after the draw period for a long time. The last few years the draw has been moved back some and I think tag numbers are out before the application period closes.

I don't have a link for it, but I think a lot of guys are just applying anyway. The more points you have the higher the odds on the random side, but it's not much better.

For the random side your name is in the hat for as many points as you have plus 1. If there are 1000 applicants and the average points is 5, there will be 6000 chances in the hat. If you have 10 points your odds would be 11 in 6000 (0.18% chance) vs just the normal 1 in 1000 or 0.1%.

The guy with 0 points is 1 in 6000 chance and yet they still draw sometimes.

Cheers, Pete

29-Jan-15
glunker, Last year I applied for the NR Monroe muzzleloader elk tag. It turned out to be a wasted app because the state decided to issue zero NR tags in 2014 as they had in previous years. You have to take the good with the bad. In 1999 I drew a muzzy deer tag with zero points. I do like Utah for the same reasons I like Vegas baby!

29-Jan-15
happyhunter,

Does that mean you spent $10 plus bought a hunting license to apply for a tag that didn't exist? That just isn't right.

29-Jan-15
happyhunter,

Does that mean you spent $10 plus bought a hunting license to apply for a tag that didn't exist? That just isn't right.

• Sitka Gear