Mike F 27-Jan-15
LuckyBuck 27-Jan-15
Naz 27-Jan-15
Jeff in MN 27-Jan-15
10orbetter 27-Jan-15
South Farm 28-Jan-15
Geitz 28-Jan-15
27-Jan-15
Thought I would come here for insight before getting anyone else involved. I hunt/fish/shed hunt/camp etc. am in the outdoors a lot. I live on the end of a 3/4 mile dirt dead end road on 200 acres. That being said 1/2 way down this road is a small piece of public land which is mostly swamp/creek but it does get some bow hunters on it in the fall.

Anyway, I have been noticing a couple of different pickups parked along side of this dirt road the past couple of weeks near the public land and they are there before I leave for work (DARK) and are still there after I get home from work (DARK).

Don't want to think negatively, but any ideas what they could be doing in the woods at those times of day. I am not a trapper, but do trappers check trap lines before or after dark. This is the only thing that I can think of or coyote hunting since I don't believe anything else is open season.

Sorry so long, but would love some insight or ideas.

Thanks

27-Jan-15
Its public land, follow the tracks.

27-Jan-15
Trappers check traps a lot before work and after work in the dark, not un-common. But, if they are there all day, does not make sense this time of year. Is there a pond/lake back there for ice fishing? Like November said, take a walk back in there.

27-Jan-15
Thanks I will plan on walking back there later this week. Glad I know that guys check traps early and late, as a novice I thought that was a daytime activity. No ponds just a river/creek so no fishing. Must be trapping.

Appreciate it

27-Jan-15
Keep your eyes open and be on your toes... never know where meth heads might show up...

27-Jan-15
Set up a deer camera across the road from where they park. If they are entering the woods in the dark they should have no idea they are being watched. Of course make sure it is a no glow/no flash type camera.

27-Jan-15
Trappers generally only check traps once a day so if the truck is there both before and after dark they are not likely trappers.

Make note of the license plate number, make, model, color and call the local warden he might know them very well.

27-Jan-15
Good Call, I have a camera that I can put out. I don't want to think the worse in people, and want to think they are just enjoying the outdoors, but have been wrong before. I have photos of the vehicles & plates just in case they are violators. Hopefully Not.

As a non-trapper, and if they are trapping, is there anything that I should be aware of before hiking in.

Thanks again,

27-Jan-15
perhaps maybe they are shed hunting on public lands?

Lots of things to do that is legal on public land.

If you really want to know, camo up and take a slow stalk through the woods and find out for sure! Bring a camera with some zoom to really help you stay hidden.

27-Jan-15
Unless they are running a lot of traps they should only be in there a couple of hours. Trapping hours are 4 AM to 8 PM.

As far as what to look out for if they are trapping. Nothing that could harm you if they are legally trapping.

It wouldn't hurt to give the local warden a call and have them check it out.

Seeing it's a small piece of public land it could be something illegal, be careful.

Take a walk and check it out.

27-Jan-15
thanks guys, Again, hopefully just trappers but wasn't sure because I don't know that much about trapping. Glad to know the trapping hours. Thanks Mike F I thought shed hunting also but since it is only a small piece of land they shouldn't be there that often and shed hunting in the dark can't be very affective.

I will let you know what I find out.

27-Jan-15
Proposal this year to allow checking of traps day and night, should pass.

27-Jan-15
You really should have a talk with the warden before you go snooping around in there or putting out a camera. If they are doing something shady the camera or even tracks from someone else in there might scare them off or something worse. At least by talking to the warden first you will have some idea if they are a concern.

27-Jan-15
Don't screw around, notify a Sheriff or a Warden if you have deep concerns. They will at least appreciate the heads up. I got fed up with finding beer cans and tire tracks going in and out of my field on the 40 I have to hunt. Gave the local Warden permission to sit the property and park his truck among pines I planted for cover. He'll use the concealment to nail potential after hours violators. Really hate being a jerk about it but, enough was enough. It was obvious to the Warden and me the deer were being harassed late at night.

28-Jan-15
If you have any question at all to their intentions snap a pic of their vehicle/license plates just in case. I do that all the time when I'm parked at remote boat landings and such if there's any question in my mind whether or not I'll have issues (such as break-ins). It may not prevent anything from happening but it gives Johnny Law a place to start his investigation if something does happen.

28-Jan-15
Maybe they are a bunch of construction workers carpooling to a job site.

• Sitka Gear