RC 03-Feb-15
Ben Farmer 03-Feb-15
roger 03-Feb-15
Bourbonator 03-Feb-15
BOWJO 03-Feb-15
Flatlander 04-Feb-15
Jeff Durnell 04-Feb-15
31-Jan-15
Just saw on another site where they are saying the archery season for buck could be extended to the doe only weeks in the SRA??

It said archery for buck would run from Sep 19th to Nov 28th this up coming year if it passes the final vote in April.

01-Feb-15
Yes. I did hear that Ben

I'm not sure it's for all the star's or just a few

Bill v

01-Feb-15
Hope it passes the second vote and gets approved. Personally, I don't see a reason it shouldn't be statewide but I do all my archery hunting in 2B so I will definitely benefit from it, as will my kids.

01-Feb-15
Yes Ben this was discussed yesterday at the UBP annual meeting. It will certainly change the dynamic of the 5C Doe Hunt.

01-Feb-15
Just needs to get passed in April.

01-Feb-15
I wouldn't mind seeing this go through. I have a few properties in 2B that I hunt. I split my time between 2B and 2A.

01-Feb-15
I live in two B and surely wouldn't mind if they pass this proposal, although it won't effect me at all. I don't feel as if its something that's needed! I don't think it would be good for the entire state. I Think if passed statewide it would just be foot in the door they are now trying to close. I think as a Bowhunters you need to start to think about how important the first two weeks of Nov are to you and be very careful what you ask for.

01-Feb-15
Chuck, as far as I know, from what I've read about this, no one was really "asking" for this. From what I saw, they looked at the buck kill for the SRA's and decided that it wouldn't hurt the resource to add buck to those extended weeks.

Ben

01-Feb-15
Read that PGC gave preliminary approval in todays newspaper for 2B, 5C and 5D. Final approval in April.

02-Feb-15
I'm impressed...

02-Feb-15
We will see in April

02-Feb-15
Ben I just hope they know what they're doing. Hunting is great down here if you have private property to hunt or a lease. The small patches of land that are hunt able get an overwhelming amount of pressure. Even in archery season. However I do see plenty of deer around here and agree that it would be great for the bowhunters of this area.

02-Feb-15
If they truly want to reduce the deer numbers in the special reg. areas they might as well ditch AR as well. I'm a fan of AR, but if your going to add buck to the extended seasons to increase the kill, you might as well go all in. Brown it's down.

02-Feb-15
Got that right Bushy!! It should be that way, statewide!

02-Feb-15
Couple weeks ago the talk was they were cutting archery to 4 weeks. How things change.

02-Feb-15
I hope they know what their doing too Chuck!

I have several places in 2B. They all get hunted by other people. One thing I noticed in my spots though, is they are hunted very lightly till November. I hunt one small 14 acre property where I've never saw another hunter till the last week of October!! Ive had pretty good success there the first couple weeks of the season. I tried to hunt there one year in November and there were 5 trucks parked there!

I see this a lot where guys wait till the rut starts kicking in. I think I'm more excited about the two extra early weeks vs the two later ones!

Ben

02-Feb-15
Ben this would probably work good for both of us. Maybe some of the public land around here would have less pressure in Sept? I know one spot that I see good bucks all summer but come oct they get pushed onto a county park where hunting isn't permitted. First few days of archery around here get some pressure.

02-Feb-15
I would think you would see a lot less pressure early even on the public land. Especially, since guys would figure they would have the whole month of November to hunt. I hear it all the time from guys around here. When I ask if they have been out hunting, they always say its to hot and they are waiting for it to cool down and the rut to start kicking in.

I always tell them that is a good idea:)

Ben

03-Feb-15
I sometimes wonder if guys think about anything other than archery deer hunting's 'great equalizer', The Rut!!.....lol. :)

03-Feb-15
Oh, a funny :)

03-Feb-15
Don't get me wrong Rog, I LOVE hunting the rut!! I use all my vacation time to go to Ohio in November every year. I been doing this since 97.

Ive only shot one buck in Pa in November in my life. That was the first year they extended the season into November in the early 90s. I think some guys are missing out on some great hunting that don't get out there early before they get spooked by everyone else.

That's why I like the idea of starting in mid September. I told my wife about this....she's not as excited about it as I am:) Lol

03-Feb-15
I'm just bustin' chops, Benny, and besides I think it was Durnell who coined the phrase "The Great Equalizer", so although I'd LOVE to take credit, just can't. ;)

03-Feb-15
I've taken 5 bucks in October and 4 in November. I don't care what month it is, I'll be on stand.

03-Feb-15
Every year at the 5C hunt, we have guys come back to camp with sighting of some really good bucks. Usually they are still in bachelor groups yet and their is always a chance a buck in velvet.

Last year, opening day in N.J. I had a gorgeous eight point in full velvet feed in a bean field in front of me. Problem is, it's earn a buck, so you have to shoot a doe before a buck!

04-Feb-15
I never looked at this issue from a rut standpoint. This will be the first year I don't plan on taking the last week of archery season off. For some reason and I can't explain it my hunting goes to crap that week. Very low deer sightings over the last three years during that week, compounded with bad weather has driven me to this decision. I won't miss the third week of oct for anything.

04-Feb-15
Me either.

• Sitka Gear