Show-Me Greg 04-Feb-15
elkmo 04-Feb-15
Don 04-Feb-15
Dude 05-Feb-15
nemobowhunter 05-Feb-15
hogthief 06-Feb-15
03-Feb-15
This is the email I just got from MDC.

MDC seeks public input on proposed deer hunting regulation changes Possible changes involve firearms season lengths, use of crossbows, archery bag limits, regulations on conservation areas, and non-resident permit fees.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) is seeking public input on proposed changes to the state’s deer hunting regulations for the 2016-2017 hunting season.

For the fall firearms deer season, MDC proposes:

Maintaining the current timing of the November portion but reducing the length from 11 days to nine days,

Expanding the late youth firearms weekend from two days to three days and having it begin the Friday after Thanksgiving instead of early January,

Reducing the length of the antlerless firearms portion from 12 days to three days and beginning it on the first Friday in December, and Eliminating the urban zones portion.

As far as the seasons go this is what I figured will happen. Crossbows yes, moving gun season, NO.

03-Feb-15
I just got done watching the video that MDC has posted on YouTube. It will definitely be interesting to see if these rule changes are fully implemented. Crossbows allowed in archery season, shortened firearms season (but timing still the same), and a shortened antlerless season just to name a few.

03-Feb-15
I got the same email. I'm not a fan of only one buck during archery season!! I'll be heading to the meeting in Powder Valley to voice my opinion on the subject. Other than that I don't mind the changes, although I'm really torn on the crossbow subject!

04-Feb-15
Don't see what all the fuss is about crossbows. I use a compound when my shoulder allows it, but use a crossbow also. If someone wants to use one, lets make it legal. If you don't like it, Tough!

04-Feb-15
I am in agreement with Schmitty. I have NEVER killed 2 bucks during archery season, but like the opportunity.

I would bet eliminating the second buck would only save 50 - 100 bucks a year total. No affect on "growing" the deer herd.

04-Feb-15
2 day rifle reduction is meaningless for harvest totals.

1 archery buck will not effect harvest numbers, most do not tag the 2nd buck anyway.

Reducing rifle doe season to 3 days is good, but it need to go away all together.

Crossbows NO, if so go to a 1 buck per hunter per year regardless of take.

If they are going to change it, change it, this is a waste of time and effort....half a$$ effort to keep all happy.

Too little to late on the anterless season, should have happened before now.

04-Feb-15
The MDC has been bought out. We need to stand strong against crossbows. Keep them for disabled & rifle season. They are not bows. It's all about money.

05-Feb-15
I think the best argument against inclusion of crossbow in archery season would be the MDC's own justification in reducing the length of the general rifle season and the anterless season. Otherwise, it is hard not to justify the use of crossbows during the archery season. Even that argument may not hold true if an increased archery harvest is offset by a decreased gun harvest.

I think the inclusion of crossbows will likely increase archery buck harvest and buck harvest overall. I doubt that the increase buck kills will be offset by limiting the archery buck harvest to one per person. This will likely be implemented to limit the total buck kill.

05-Feb-15
I am unfortunately of the mindset that MDC will do whatever they want. Hopefully it is in the best biological interest of Missouri's deer herd.

To me it’s interesting that in the MDC sponsored YouTube video, the narrator indicates that the department is interested in the health of Missouri’s whitetails AND Missouri’s hunting heritage. What I don’t understand about this idea and paraphrased statement is how/why the department is essentially picking and choosing which heritage they want to honor? Obviously the timing of the modern firearms season is an item that they will continue to recognize primarily because of it’s effectiveness in a management role. Not to mention the revenue this particular season pumps money into rural communities.

Crossbows are not apart of Missouri’s archery heritage, although I do know that older individuals and people with disabilities are able to obtain permits in order to participate currently. I have no issue with the way it stands now.

I agree 100% with what elkmo has said…in fact I don’t think I could’ve summarized my opinion better.

06-Feb-15
I imagine there has been some numbers crunching going on and due to a reduction in sale of certain permits, plus the continued assault on the 1/8th of One percent sales tax there is a push to find new avenues of income. Mdc has good employees and a good mission statement, but make no doubt about it, like everything, money feeds the beast.

• Sitka Gear