RC 12-Feb-15
mixed bag 14-Feb-15
Flintknocker 14-Feb-15
BOWJO 14-Feb-15
RC 14-Feb-15
Alwayslearning 14-Feb-15
04-Feb-15
http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/7669495-74/deer-collared-hunters

Not sure if this will work. It's in the trib today.

04-Feb-15

Bogey PA's Link
Follow link

Good article, thanks for sharing.

04-Feb-15
Thanks Bogey. Couldn't figure out how to put the link up like that. My computer skills are far from polished!!...lol

04-Feb-15
Interesting!

BTW, thought they were collaring hunters now when I first looked at that link! ;-)

04-Feb-15
We have collared deer where we hunt. In all the years , I have seen only 1 buck with a collar and one buck with an ear tag. I find that pretty amazing since i know there have been plenty collared over the years.

Bill V

04-Feb-15

bill v's Link
try this link if you want to look at collared deer

Bill V

04-Feb-15
I don't know why they put a collar on them and chain them up. Hunting deer in the SE is like shooting fish in a barrel anyway:)

04-Feb-15
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bad deer hunter. Well, ok, maybe not "bad"... I'm fairly good at it. I'm simply disenchanted :^)

04-Feb-15
Plenty of deer in the woods.

It's not that hard, we've been doing it for thousands of years!

04-Feb-15
At least Roy has anyway! LOL

04-Feb-15
Yep Bill, tens of thousands... with two sticks and a string. If it didn't work that way, very well, we'd have likely plundered our way into extinction long ago.... or at best, very differently evolved.

04-Feb-15
Before I moved to the farm 11 years ago, I used to see lots of collared deer while driving thru Valley Forge National Park. Never saw any in the woods where I hunted tho.

04-Feb-15
Been quite awhile since I've seen a collared deer. The deer around the house are all yarded up. Couple of times now I've seen four together!

05-Feb-15
I've never seen any in 3D or 5C. Collared bear yes- deer no.

05-Feb-15
Are the collars a tracking radio....or do hunters just return the collar when the deer or bear is harvested?

05-Feb-15
This is nothing new. The PGc has been doing this longer than 2 years. Don't know when Penn state got involved. They have done these studies on some SGLS in the past. Amazing how the Biologist can find, tranquilize, and release 32 deer and thousands of hunters can even kill half of them. It speaks volumes on the pa hunter. I have seen two collared deer in my life, both doe, I did not make the cut for a doe tag that year.

05-Feb-15
Amen, Chuck. Then they decry the PGC for "killing off all the deer!".

06-Feb-15
This is interesting, The report did not address the weather as an issue for 2014.Question: was this good or bad for this study as it does effect hunter activity?

06-Feb-15
Why would the weather be an issue. These deer made it through several seasons with these collars. Yes it does give the PGC a blue print of how many and where deer are being killed. I've been told by a reliable source some of the data collected is to see where (how far) hunters will travel from the road to access deer.

Personally I think it is one of the most comprehensive tests they have done in this state. MY question is what would a study like this one have shown prior to the herd reduction, ARs, and thru the years when buck and doe ran concurrent??? I'm sure the PGC has data from these collars dating back at least 5 years, but I wonder how much was done before that??

06-Feb-15
They actually have more deer with ear tags than they do collars.The last I read,about 8% of the tagged adult doe were being harvested in the study area in the NC part of the state.I have no issue believing that less than 10% of the deer are harvested in this part of the state.

06-Feb-15
Yeah Ben my guess is lazy hunters. I hunt public land near my home, I think it's like 5,000 acres. It encompasses most of two squares, it's creek bottom land and swamps with hardwood and CRP. Ill drive by there on opening morning of gun and count between 70-80 cars and trucks. I've hunted there on opening day with either a buck or doe tag many times over the last 20 years, I NEVER see anyone back where I hunt, yes to and from but not back where I'm at because to get to where I'm going you have to wear at least hip waders and sometimes chest waders and cross creeks and beaver levies. I can't tell you how many deer I have taken there over the years but I'd guess at least 25 between gun and bow with several being mature bucks. I've talked to guys at the parking lot and listen to them tell me how they used to see lots of deer there before the two week gun season included doe harvest. I've ttalked to guys there who have only taken one or no deer there in the last 10 plus years.

I have permission to hunt lots of private land around here but I primarly hunt that public land because I see more deer and more mature bucks back there than anywhere I hunt in Ohio or PA! Now if these guys start pressuring the area I'm hunting I'm sure that would change but untill then I'll be there. Hard to believe the least pressured place I hunt is public land sorounded by hunters who never go further than a couple hundred yards from the road.

The deer will go where there is the least pressure be it public land or private, especially the mature deer, pretty simple.

Mike

06-Feb-15
Some areas in NC pa are just plain steep and remote.There's no way to convince a sufficient number of hunter to go there.There's also no way that hunters will impact the deer herd in those areas.

06-Feb-15
"Hard to believe the least pressured place I hunt is public land sorounded by hunters who never go further than a couple hundred yards from the road."....treerat

A few years ago, I hunted a SGL near me on the first day of gun season. I saw 10 deer and 3 buck by 10am when I shot a nice 8pt.

We decided to ride around the game lands after I got my deer out to see how many hunters were in the area because there was very little shooting. I would bet, 70% of the time when we saw a truck, you could see the guy sitting within sight of it!

I would have to agree with the lazy hunter comment Mike.

06-Feb-15
Guys, just for grins...check out the stats (harvest) over the years YOU...KNEW...there was a good mast crop.

There always are.."no deer"..in years when they (the deer) are FAT. Doan know about ya'll...but the deer here were FAT. And back in..and not much inclined to move AT ALL..if it meant they could conserve a couple more ounces of all that FAT..on 'em..'til and if...they really needed it. ( as part of my 'edit', I'd add looks like they might need it here if the coming week's weather report is anywhere near accurate?)

And still I wonder..what's making all them tracks in the snow........

..and here's where someone will most likely opine..one deer can make a lotta tracks :)

Have at it. :)

ed

11-Feb-15
The mast crop threw a huge monkey wrench into my plans this year.I misjudged it and threw all my eggs into one basket where I found tons of sign in SEPT.I had put up double sets for me and my son ahead of time,which I never do.We just weren't mobile and we didn't adapt fast enough once the acorns started dropping.By the time,I relocated the deer,it was almost time for rifle season.I had the slowest archery season of my life as a result but a banner rifle season.Rifle season was still tough.When you have huge laurel patches with an overstory of oak,the deer don't have to move at all during the day.You're right about the tracks Ed.We had fresh snow the first day of bear season and on Thanksgiving day and the saturday after.The tracks were everywhere but the snow was gone by the next day.By Monday,it was easy to think there wasn't a deer within miles.

11-Feb-15
I suspect 90% of bowhunters use tree stands. I wonder how many of that percentage never move the stand during the season. I personally know people who have hunted the same stands for decades and complain that there are no deer any more. I also imagine that a very large percentage of that 90% never get to see much of their own hunting territory.

And don't bother coming down here to Bedford County...we ain't got no deer either.

12-Feb-15
Mister George Stout :)

I strongly suspect that if you suspect there may be just one deer left on the ridge you choose to hunt, most likely for no better reason than, that is the ridge you wish to hunt,,that particular day..........

...........your 'hunt' has only a wee bit of concern about about deer, really..to begin with.

I don't really worry myself whether there may be ONE there or not...as much, any more...as whether I might find my home :)......eventually :)

And lately...

That isn't much a big concern, either ;)

12-Feb-15
I learned a few years ago, to not give a crap about how others think or hunt. Or what kind of rifle they shoot or what kind of bow they shoot. Or which dog is the best, or which beer is the best. Cause it hain't gonna matter in an open forum. So I'm just an old guy trying to get into heaven....

14-Feb-15
No collared deer in my area.They haven't found one to collar yet

14-Feb-15
It appears the deer may have had enough of winter with the last snow. They are coming out of the mountains to the lowlands in Droves!! Me, I've had about enough of snow, but winter sees a lot getting done inside what doesn't get done so much the rest of the year ;)

14-Feb-15
On your own Roy, I would say you don't have a chance....

But with a few prayers from some friends, well, maybe.

Now, you just have to find some friends! XO

14-Feb-15
Ah Joe, I thought you liked me:)

14-Feb-15
In two distant parts of 2A the number of buck sightings and pics over the feed and salt blocks over the summer months has dropped steadily over the years in my area and buddies near Green county. Doe seem to be same amount as past couple of years. Only saw 3 legal buck in all of archery and gun season this year, granted they were decent 3 yr olds, but used to see half dozen legal bucks per week 10 yrs ago. The nice quality two yr old bucks are very few to be found. In early June I've heard coyotes killing fawns in the middle of the night with my windows open.

• Sitka Gear