Steve White 10-Feb-15
Jeff in MN 10-Feb-15
Per48R 10-Feb-15
Antler Whore 11-Feb-15
Steve White 11-Feb-15
Antler Whore 11-Feb-15
04-Feb-15

Steve White's Link
Just seen this today. New GPS barbs for arrows to aid in recovery of deer. Wonder if even legal in WI? For $400 think I would learn to shoot better. Some dont, and wont see it that way though.

04-Feb-15
Gosh what took them so long ? Sure glad I have my first 55 years of Bowhunting finished . Geez .

04-Feb-15
If it is not legal it should be. I think this is excellent. Nothing worse than making that decision to release on an animal and not find it. To make it affordable, I hope the transmitting device is made inexpensive so that a group could go in on the receiving device and use it in a cooperative to recover deer.

04-Feb-15
If you have a pass through or the arrow falls out it is not going to work.

04-Feb-15
Lama if you watch the video you see that pass throughs or if the arrow falls out it will still stick into the deer.

The excesive price (for now) will mean not many people using it but if it gets cheaper I can see people using it and taking shots they wouldn't normally take because they would be able to find a gut shot or liver shot deer pretty easy with it.

Remember the string trackers? I guess this is the 21st Century version of them.

04-Feb-15
At first I thought it might help with bear. Then I have only not been able to recover 2 in over 20yrs. 1 with gun and 1 with bow. Neither could I put the dogs on. So that thought passed quickly!

04-Feb-15
Let me see, guys are not going to cheat on call in registration. Yet, they are going to purposely take bad shots with this device. I am amazed out how selectively responsible people can be perceived to be. Just like nobody is going to cheat and call a crossbow kill a more traditional archery kill. You will have irresponsible hunters no matter what. I am sure guys took bad shots with Luminocks figuring they would find the deer easier only to discover that it does not always work that way.

If a device can make the recovery of a deer more of a sure thing, I am all for it.

05-Feb-15

TrophyGameTags's Link
Here is a supporting link to one of their videos. I like the little red dot they put on the deer upon recovery.

I just want to put a transmitter on the biggest buck in my neighborhood and be able to see his whereabouts on my computer, 24/7. That's all!

05-Feb-15
HHMMM. This was on the market about twenty years ago and removed by FTC since it was proven to not work. It is not a GPS system.

Steve, you SAW not SEEN. Just helping out.

05-Feb-15
10, agree, but don't forget the other way around, too, by those who don't want crossbows ….. buying the $3 "extra" and reporting all archery kills as crossbow, or guys who never shoot anything reporting that they did just because they want to be "in" on the system. Maybe minor in both instances, but either way, with "telecheck" the numbers won't be anywhere close to what is really being harvested.

Trophy, agree that tracking giants via computer would be really cool. Of course, then quite a few of them wouldn't be "on the air" by the end of the season!

05-Feb-15
Hard for me to believe it will not affect arrow flight. Looks like the thing would be heavy to one side of the arrow and produce a wobble as the arrow spins.

I also wonder how well the transmitter will stick to the hide if the deer goes through thick brush Or falls off when the deer beds down on it or the deer licks the wound.

05-Feb-15
Jeff really good points.

06-Feb-15
Well, its not fair chase

07-Feb-15
I read the same developer of this product is also working on a drone surveillance deer camera system that will follow the GPS. and shoot video of the deer dying.. it also has the capabilities to latch on to a leg with a remote grapple and fly your prize back to the truck for your.."I am a Big Buck Hunter" pics... LOL... I also read the same guy has drones capable of replenishing your bait pile .. so you don't have to get off the couch during game and scent up a area every day dumping your 2 gallons of WI deer hunters gold....

The drawing board is full of other drone uses.. for aiding in surveillance to feeding your pets.. to driving deer into your woods off the neighbors fields... the tech in deer hunting has changed.. drone remote comes with a picatiny rail mount so you can use it on your xgun or riot rifle...all great steps towards a much easier way to slay your trophies....

lol

10-Feb-15
Antler, that is hilarious!!

I spoke with the DNR on this. At this time these would be fully legal.

Did talk about the negatives, and the first thing out of his mouth. Was taking poor shots. Imagine that!

10-Feb-15
Oh ya, taking poor shots is a serious problem in general. This would be another contributor to it. I realized that I have taken some less than highest possible percentage shots while gun hunting because I figured I could get away with them. They generally resulted in longer than necessary tracking jobs. Well it took a while but I finally realized I had to stop that. Over the last 10 years I just decided that if I wasn't sure it would be a one shot kill I wasn't going to shoot.

10-Feb-15
Do you guys remember the big stink about remote control shooting of game in Texas. Boy that would be nice. I wouldn't have to worry about getting rained on, figuring out the wind, maybe falling and hurting myself. I wouldn't have to get my boot or hands dirty. Wouldn't have to gut out a deer, that is smelly and oh the nasty noises it makes. I wouldn't have to put that smelly dead deer in the back of my truck. Or cut it up, or put it in the freezer. Just click my mouse button and get a quick time video of a deer dying. OH and most importantly someone measuring my deer who somehow has a measuring tape that gives larger numbers then a P&Y scorer would. Yeah, that should make all the non-hunters think I am hunting because I am a predator and carnivore.

11-Feb-15
I just think enough is enough... you already went way over board with allowing xguns in the bow season.... if you take away more and more ... what exactly is the draw???

Nobody will make a stand and get rid of baiting.. or xguns... or limit technology in any way shape or form so we still can hunt wild deer with somewhat primitive weapons.... it's a friggin wonder we have any youth that stay in the field.. when things get this easy... and everyone can do it.... there is no point in making a quest for any accomplishment... it is why we have now diminished the hunt to the size of the rack... as everyone kills bucks.. it prolly is the easiest hunting has ever been... when will we make a stand to preserve some challenge and integrity to archery?? Or are we all gonna stand for our own gadget or fake feed source replenished daily ..?? I have hunted with a bow for a long long time... and when any moron can slap up a stand and dump a pile and shoot a buck out the widow ... now you want to GPS tag your deer so you can just shoot without light at all ????it's not worth doing when things are this easy..... There has to be some sort of integrity restored.. Or Bowhunting in WI is in big trouble.

11-Feb-15
No Antler! All hunting in WI is in big trouble. We have become a society of instant gratification. I want it and I want it now!!! So many do not want to work for anything. Just want it given to them, and feel they have the right to that as well. Then when they dont get what they want, or have limited to no success. They try to lay blame everyone and everything else for it!!

Don't even have a clue on how to fix the damage that has been done.

11-Feb-15
Could start by starting a Archery season...and getting rid of baiting.....that would be a good start

• Sitka Gear