David Mitchell 09-Feb-15
WVM&M 09-Feb-15
sswv 09-Feb-15
sundaynwv 09-Feb-15
shakyheadsabol 10-Feb-15
bicster 10-Feb-15
sundaynwv 10-Feb-15
07-Feb-15
I see several prayer requests and references to God and Church from many folks on this site. Yet i see zero opposition to Sunday hunting. This puzzles me. I have stated my opinion on the matter a couple years ago but have remained silent recently...but i got to ask "Is there any sportsman on this site besides me that oppose Sunday hunting?"

07-Feb-15
I oppose fishing, watching or playing football, basketball, baseball, and golf on Sunday's. No leisure or pleasurable activities at all; no horseback riding, no ATV'ing, and no shooting any of my bows or firearms.

One thing that really bothers me is, seeing all those cars at the local restaurants on Sunday. How could anyone force folks to work and serve them on Sunday?

All of that is tongue-in-cheek, of course. Just trying to point out (as Rush says) the absurd by being ridiculous. But... I'm really curious--why do you oppose Sunday hunting?

07-Feb-15
No disrespect to anyone. I feel everyone should have the right to practice their religion as they see fit as long as it's not harmful to others or they try to impose their views on others.

In WV, a person can buy and drink alcohol, gamble, and even go to strip clubs on Sunday. However, I'm not allowed to sit in a treestand with a bow on my own property, where at least for me I feel closer to God and talk to God more than any church I have ever been in, and I don't mean praying for a big buck to come by.

We are taught to be tolerant of others but at least in my opinion it is being intolerant to impose ones belief as to where another person feels closer to God.

Several churches or religions view Saturdays as their Sabbath. Who am I to dictate which day someone views as their Sabbath.

A lot of Churches have services on Wednesday, are we expected outlaw hunting on Wednesday for that?

Also, let's face it there are lots of Athiests, and in this free Country of ours they have the same rights as everyone else. Why should anyone's personal religious views dictate when they can hunt?

I don't know if many Muslims hunt, but Fridays are when they do their thing. Do we have to shut down hunting on Friday if they demand it?

I could go on, but at least in my opinion this country was founded on the believe of freedom, the right from religious persecution, and with liberty and justice for all.

I must say that I don't feel much liberty and freedom when a religion can dictate what I can do on my own property, and how I want to feel closer to God.

Just my opinion

07-Feb-15

wvmule's Link
I am hoping you are the only one who would oppose what this Christian did one Sunday last fall. Follow the link:

07-Feb-15
Several years ago, eight of us went on a fall bear-hunting trip to Quebec. On Sunday morning I awoke to my bunkmate studying his bible. He read, studied and mediated all day long on the scriptures. When late afternoon came and time to go to our stands he told me wasn’t going. Of course, asked him why. “Because it’s Sunday and I won’t hunt on Sunday’s,” he said.

Now… he didn’t “oppose” my hunting on Sunday, and I left that camp with a new respect and admiration for my friend. Not only because of his fidelity to his faith, but also because he didn’t try to impose his principles on the rest of us.

07-Feb-15
My last point—maybe. :^)

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof….

Yet, that’s exactly what the State of West Virginia has done with Sunday hunting. We all know blue laws were passed on religious grounds. The State has, in effect, forced all residents to honor the Christian Sabbath.

Far fetched? Maybe, but I won’t force you to hunt on Sunday. Why would you want to force me not to? That really puzzles me.

Another question, if you don't mind. You wrote, "I see several prayer requests and references to God and Church from many folks on this site." What does any of that have to do with Sunday hunting?

07-Feb-15
The proposed law does not force anyone to hunt. It does not force a landowner to allow hunting. It does not apply to public land( which I feel is a huge concession).

America was founded on freedom and choice and no disrespect intended but I don't see a problem with it.

08-Feb-15
I am a pastor and a firm and committed believer in Jesus. I do not believe in the state enforcing any religious views, practices, or convictions, on people. Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. Think on that. Jim Casto made some humerous remarks in his first post about a whole variety of things that people do on Sunday that are really no different than hunting. There are, indeed, folks who object to many of those activities he listed being done on Sunday. Should the state ban them on Sunday? I don't think so. It is a dangerous and slippery slope we place ourselves on when we seek to enforce religious beliefs and practices--and proscriptions--on others by force of law. Someday we may be the ones whose ox is gored depending on who is writing the laws.

08-Feb-15
I have always Heard that the reason Sunday hunting wasn't allow was because of Christians, maybe so at one time, I believe the reason we dont have Sunday hunting is non educated people, non hunters and Animal rights activists and Yes, Landowners, I have heard many say so. Thats a day I dont have to worry about someone being on my land, I have heard that many times. There aren't enough Christians { at least with any backbone } this day and time to whip a sick cat much less Fight Sunday Hunting.

God bless ya

08-Feb-15
Here is some Scripture that bears on this subject of personal liberty. It was written in a time when there was much debate among Christians as to whether or not it was right to eat meat that was sold in the market place that had first been killed as a sacrifice to an idol. Romans 14:4-8 and 10, "Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand for God is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day observes it to the Lord, and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's....But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ."

08-Feb-15
Looks like there might not be WVM&M

08-Feb-15
Good Post Dave

08-Feb-15
When the Sunday hunting law was initially passed 10 or so years ago I heard that the farm bureau was against it. Whether that was true or not I don't know, nor do I know why they were against it.

What I do know is that in Monroe county a lot of the farmers were against it because for some reason they had a fear that if they didn't vote to close it that they would be overrun with hunters from other counties that did.

It didn't make much sense to me then and it makes even less to me now. It's not like there were going to be waves of hunters from other counties invading private land to hunt in Monroe.

Personally, it dosen't really affect me that much since I'm retired and can hunt any day I want to. But there are a lot of people that only have Sundays off from work.

I've even had good friends say that they like to sleep in on Sundays and don't want other hunters hunting while they are sleeping.

I've heard that some people feel that the game needs a day of rest. That is one of the most ridiculous reasons I have heard. Nature goes on 24/7/365. It's not like the deer take Sundays off and lay on the couch watching TV. Deer that I see on Sunday don't look any more relaxed than any other day of the week.

Game should be managed based on science not emotions and religious believes.

The hard part is getting people to be open minded enough to change their opinions that they have been taught and held for years. There were probably a lot of people that went to their grave believing the world was flat long after it was proven to be round.

08-Feb-15
What Jimmy said.

08-Feb-15
WVM&M, you and I agree on a lot of issues. I sincerely mean no disrespect, but I see this more as a freedom, liberty, and property rights issue than I see it as a religious issue, but it has been turned into a religious issue. By doing that it brings out a lot of deep personal emotional feelings and decisions get made based on emotions rather than science.

08-Feb-15
Gobbler, the original post suggests that the reason for opposing Sunday hunting is purely a religious one for the poster. That's why I addressed it as such--the state has no right or business regulating religious beliefs unless they are harmful to others as you mentioned in your first response.

08-Feb-15
Ok, maybe I misunderstood. If I offended anyone I am sorry.

08-Feb-15
Thanks everyone for their candid, thoughtful and respectful replies.

Jim, the reason I started with the comment on prayers, God, and Church was to bait a response from the folks that are open with their Faith on this forum. I was really interested in their thoughts on this subject. And yes David Mitchell, my proposed opposition would be solely based on religious beliefs and not on any biological or selfish motivations.

I believe this is a moot point....even if 383 doesn't pass this time....a similar bill will eventually pass. Sunday hunting in WV will happen. I'm surprised it is still in effect, along with all of the other "Blue Laws" that still remain across the country. And BTW, I haven't started a "stop Sunday Hunting" or called any of the senators mentioned previously to sway their vote.

A couple of my thoughts: This country is in a moral state of decay. Jim, you stated: "The First Amendment to the United States Constitution states: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…....and that is exactly what the state of WV is doing with Sunday Hunting".

Do you believe The First Amendment justifies evicting crosses from parks and public buildings, purging prayer from schools and deleting “under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance? That is exactly what has happened in our nation. Our Founding Fathers would be jumping out of their graves if they knew that the words "Separation of Church and State" would have manifested into our current state. What does that have to do with Sunday Hunting? Nothing really, but I guess I feel compelled to be in vocal disagreement with anything that moves from the right when so much of everything is going to the left. My reaction is like a bass smacking a surface bait.

David, it is a slippery slope....very slippery. Look how much this country has slipped the last 20 years....40 years.....100 years. What will this country look like in 20, 40, 100 years? I particularly appreciate your use of Scripture. …thanks. If I understand correctly, you and Ron Miller are pastors/preachers....keep up the great work.

Speedy looks like you are correct….I am the only one.

Gobbler, no offense taken. Don’t give up on Church because of bad past experiences. Refueling spiritually is very powerful when assembled with like Faith. You are correct...how blessed we are to be able to sit in a treestand and observe the Creators awesome masterpiece.

After writing this post, I've concluded that it is a lot easier to post on buck limits than Sunday hunting.

08-Feb-15
Very good post. I agree that we are in a state of moral decay. If it were up to me the strip clubs, gambling and anti-Christ sentiment would be illegal 7 days a week because it leads to ruined lives, the breakup of families, and moral decay of our society. Sometimes it's hard to balance freedom and liberty against the moral decay from whatever the source. I'm sure our founding fathers couldn't comprehend what has occurred in our society. At my age I have trouble comprehending it.

08-Feb-15
“Do you believe The First Amendment justifies evicting crosses from parks and public buildings, purging prayer from schools and deleting “under God” from the Pledge of Allegiance?”

Of course not, and I never hinted that I did—quite the contrary, to my notion, the 1st Amendment protects all those things you mentioned, and the Supreme Court has upheld the right to do all of them. It’s fearful city managers and school administrators who have been intimidated into “thinking” they need to remove all those things.

You say you oppose hunting on Sunday, due to religious beliefs. That’s fine, we can oppose or support anything we like for any reason, but if I found hunting, or any activity harmful, to my personal belief system on Sunday, I wouldn’t do it on Monday either. I reject the premise that Sunday hunting is somehow inherently evil, but I appreciate your addressing the questions posed.

I also appreciate that recent discussions have been civil and haven’t eroded into name-calling and insults. We’ve come a long way the last few months, huh? :^)

08-Feb-15
I guess i still dont get why religion and hunting on Sunday cant co-exist. I still dont get the whole you cant hunt on Sunday because of religion..

Iam not that religious...Honestly, iam not religious at all.I dont try and throw that around and make people think that they shouldnt be able to do things just because i say its wrong.

But the times that I am, if you wnat to call it that, is when iam in a tree.

Its amazing the people i talk to or tink of while in the tree...is that a form of religion?

And how did our country slip the last 20-40 years? wasnt religion based, its political and corrporate greed among other things...

Lets remeber,one of the things America was founded on was freedom of religion...And the freedom not to participate in religion.

08-Feb-15
I am new here, but read this almost every day. A lot of awesome info on here from a lot of different perspectives. I work in a Federal Prison, and I agree, this country is in moral decay. I see it everyday. I am not a religious person, but I respect those that are. I can agree to disagree on issues and have a conversation with someone as adult who does not see eye to with me or the other way around. I agree 110% of the what gobbler said on the third post and what others have said. I really hope this does pass. I have weekends off and can only hunt on Sat. When my son is old enough in a few years and able to hunt, it would be great to have Saturday and Sunday to hunt with him. I do not want to offend anyone or disrespect anyone for what they believe, but I hope this passes for all of the right reasons.

08-Feb-15
As David pointed out, the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. While the lord himself professes that we should worship with brothers and Sisters in Christ, in a congregation, we are to seek him in all things, daily. I love my church and it's members but, I don't have to be in church to worship the Lord. And that is his instructions. Not mine. I find myself in heavy meditation and worship when setting a treestand or hunting in general. So, I see zero problems with it from my relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. In fact, I know it is a great opportunity to be with the spirit, for me.

As a law, it has been pointed out why it is wrong to make it illegal. We can do most anything we want on Sunday's. Why it is illegal to spend time with the Lord in his wonderful creation is beyond me. And I really don't see how that can be confused. It is plainly written by God to say different.

I guess I can sum it up by saying if you truly believe that hunting is immoral on Sunday, than so it cooking, eating out, or most anything that requires some form of extra curricular work. And, that's fine as long as you abide by it. Any other way of handling it is based on hypocritical thought and justification. God Bless

08-Feb-15
I've fought this fight more than any other citizen in the entire state. Ultimately, I ask for proof how Sunday hunting in one of the 21 counties with it has led to a decay in society. I ask for proof that it is unsafe. I ask for proof that it hurts church attendance when all of the top ten church attendance states have Sunday hunting.

I went to Wal-mart this afternoon and the place was packed with people who recently left church, many of which I'm sure voted against Sunday hunting but see ZERO problem with themself being at Wal-Mart.

The answer is to fight this. If Senate bill 383 doesn't pass, another one will. If this doesn't work in 2015 look for more counties to fall in 2016.

I urge others to actively help. Don't just reply on bowsite. Don't point out how the strong man stumbled. Look for the answers in yourself and what you can do to affect change. I'm highly vested in this.

08-Feb-15
Good post sunday. God Bless

09-Feb-15
put your place in the father or grandfather who's work requires them to work 6 days a week, and your young son, daughter, or grand child asks when can you take me hunting papa, your heart melts as you say Im not sure honey,,, maybe we can go on a hike sunday instead or go fishing or play ball... I love the lord with all my heart but I can't see a single good reason why the hard working god fearing people of ALL or West Virginia can't hunt on sunday on Private land... "better to sit in a tree thinking of God than sitting in church thinking of hunting"

09-Feb-15
I can't see how a law that slaps the First Amendment of our Constitution in the face is allowed 200 plus years later.

09-Feb-15
Because it takes a long time to wipe out all of the laws that were written in a time when the country was God Fearing including most of the Founding Fathers. It was a time when children learned to read from the Bible....can you imagine teaching grammar using the Bible?....what a slap in the face of the 1st Amendment.

09-Feb-15
You mentioned children learned to read. Please exclude females and slaves because many were excluded from an education.

If you want blue laws you need to go all or nothing. Call your legislators and ask a them to bring back EVERY single blue law. Imprison people for cooking on Sunday, especially Jews, Muslims, and others that do not have their sabbath on Sunday. Take away religious freedom, a founding principle of our nation, and instill martial law to take our country back from those misguided souls that want to hunt on Sunday.

While we are at it, give me PROOF how Sunday hunting has led to a moral demise in the United States. Give me proof that the citizens of Virginia are now less Godly because they approved Sunday hunting. Give me proof that keeping such repressive blue laws keeps a religious purity in the United States. When i look at society, I see more of a need to hunt and fish, not less.

09-Feb-15
There is no proof of that. Those who oppose Sunday hunting are doing so on an opinion. Not on what the Bible says. I don't care how you try and spin it, the New Testament of the Bible simply doesn't back up the claim that it is immoral to hunt on Sabbath. Which is the law that we are directed to live by. Hunting is very relaxing. Meditating on the word is very relaxing. All which is exactly what the Lord created the day for. And, it surely hasn't compounded the moral decay of this country. Human nature has done that, not hunting on Sundays.

As stated above, unless you cook ahead of time, never go to a store, turn on a tv, radio, buy gas, etc.... on Sunday's, you must know this. Because doing differently means you are providing for a market to ensure someone has to work to fill your entertainment, demands, or desire's. That's work, not rest. God Bless

God Bless

09-Feb-15
I was hoping this thread might stay on the high ground but looks like it is slipping into ugliness. Too bad. Hoped this thread would be different than many others.

09-Feb-15
I wasn't going to post anything more and something stated made me react. Forget Sunday Hunting....I'm not even thinking about Sunday Hunting at this point. What you guys are saying about Sunday Hunting is constitutionally correct. The Bible doesn't say or imply to not hunt on Sunday....I agree. I'll even admit that some of the points above have made me think differently. BUT this country is rotting morally. What does that have to do with Sunday hunting?...as I said earlier: NOTHING re-read my post.

Please defend your Christian beliefs and values as adamantly as you have defended the right to hunt on Sundays. Don't just do it in a Church house....take it wherever you go...wear it like you wear blaze orange in the woods (when concurrent with gun season LOL). I promise this will be my last post on this subject but will read any replies.

09-Feb-15
"If you want blue laws you need to go all or nothing."

I do agree, and if you want Sunday hunting it needs to be statewide private AND public land. Not saying I oppose Sunday hunting just using that "all or nothing" phrase to make a point. That's the only way it could ever be fair for every WV hunter that puts out their hard to come by dollars for license, tags and all other expenses associated with hunting.

09-Feb-15
I agree. So get Wv Code 20-2-5 changed. The only way to get statewide Sunday hunting on private and public land begins with private land only.

I own 5 acres. None of which are good for hunting.

10-Feb-15
i kinda hope it doesnt pass. if it does, ill never get to sleep in from sept to january now!!!! :)

10-Feb-15
When I was growing up in Ohio, there was no Sunday hunting. That meant because of athletics I could not hunt until many years later as an adult. I can tell you that I would have rather spent my Sunday afternoons hunting with my dad rather than goofing off with my friends. Unfortunately, I didn't have that opportunity with him because it was illegal to hunt on Sundays back then. I hope my child has the same opportunities if not more than I did when he is old enough to hunt and play sports.

10-Feb-15
Why are our children missing out on opportunities children in 44 states enjoy without conflivt or negatives. It is not the state of West Virginia's job to make moral decisions for me or my children.

• Sitka Gear