RutNut@work 14-Feb-15
wi p&y 14-Feb-15
crawford1 15-Feb-15
therealdeal 15-Feb-15
lame crowndip 16-Feb-15
RutNut@work 16-Feb-15
Steve White 16-Feb-15
10-Feb-15
Well even though my shoulder cant handle much. I am going to try to find a new bow. That will allow me to begin shooting again. Not following things as closely as many of you. I'm am looking for help on a path to start to look. So many new bows out there. Just want a starting point to begin looking at some. Don't want to have to try to shoot everything out there to find the one that may work for me.

With my shoulder in mind. I am looking for something with a smooth easy draw. A smooth easy breaking point. Of course something that also performs well at lower draw weights as well. Overall weight would be a concern as well.

Looking forward to all the information your going to flood me with!!

10-Feb-15
great bow/great price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2014-PSE-PREMONITION-BOW-60-LB-SKULLWORKS-RIGHT-HANDED-PSE1433SCRSW2960-/251799804192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa0701920

10-Feb-15
if I was thinking of a bow for someone with shoulder issues.

I would point them towards an elite bow.

they may not be the fastest bow but they are very forgiving and pleasant to shoot.

10-Feb-15

Novemberforever's Link

10-Feb-15
I'm not sure your budget but I'd recommend definitely going to shoot an Elite Energy.

10-Feb-15
I also would suggest trying the Elites. Smooth shooters for sure.

10-Feb-15
Should have said cost was not an issue. The biggest thing is being able to draw with a reduced amount of pain from it. Then being able to hold it with less shaking again from the pain, and muscle weakness one could say. Nothing worse than a shakey shot.

Started the journey again with the doctors yesterday. Doc told me that because of the surrounding strength I have. That many would not look at the rotator cuff as being an issue. Although there are obvious signs of the damage. My strength and tolerance for pain make diagnosis hard. Having a previous diagnosis, with the Mri's , etc. Make it a no brainer. As I was told surgery was required 15yrs ago. These type of injuries just dont go away. His concern was whether I would be willing to have the surgery now. Explaine d that my concern was and always will be the recovery time, and not being able to work. I could give up coyote hunting , ice fishing etc through the winter months. Yet, I still need to be able to work if it comes. Otherwise how do I pay the bills that will still come.

One step at a time I guess. Right now I'm more concerned with being able to shoot again. Use to dealing with the pain doing many things. Pain that causes poor shooting. Is not ethical, or fair to the game. Finding a way to overcome this to some degree would be nice!

10-Feb-15
I purchased an Elite Synergy 2 weeks ago and am extremely happy with it. Smooth draw and great back wall. Is a pleasure to shoot.

10-Feb-15
Steve - I change bows this year for much the same reason. After shooting many I went with Mathews HTR 50 - 60# with 85% let off. Not a speed bow, but for me was very smoother on draw and was the quietest bow I have shot.

Shoot them all and find the one that is right for you. Use people's suggestions as starting points and go from there. There is no perfect bow that fits all.

10-Feb-15
Yes, a good starting point is what I m looking for. Hat to go in start shooting everything. Then not be able to drive home.

SO many here with experience in many different bows. What better place to look for some answers!

10-Feb-15
I didn't change bows , I changed limbs on my Mathews outback . . I'm down to 50lbs and my penatration into the Morrel big block is still deep enough to kill at 50 yards .

Plus I 'm shooting better now than in a long time . I helped a 68 year old buddy setup a bow last fall . We bought a used loaded Outback with all the goodies . Had 50lb limbs and cables installed . He's in the entire rig for $ 580 . He has never shot better .

10-Feb-15
"SO many here with experience in many different bows. What better place to look for some answers!"

Your problem will be that everyone shoots the best bow made.

Many shops have several manufacturers set up and you don't have to shoot 30 arrows with each bow. Make sure all are equal in weight and shoot side by side. Go back another day and try it again.

The last thing I'd recommend is buying the name. You'd be surprised how poor some bows and manufacturers perform vs much lower cost bows/manufacturers.

Every time I go to my local shop, I always shoot different bows just for fun.

10-Feb-15

Adam C.P.'s Link
Agreed, lots of great bows out there. But just an FYI, I shoot a Mathews Creed because that's the bow that picked me, however given the OP's circumstances would recommend trying an Elite Energy just because I've shot it; it's super smooth and I believe you can get up to 90% let-off.

Take a look at this YouTube video for instance, the weight of the bow holds it at full draw.

11-Feb-15
May sound strange, but my shoulder issues disappeared years back when I went back to recurves. Don't have that initial pull and real easy to let off. I used to shoot 65 and 70lb on two black widows, but now at 62 I'm dropping down to a 54lb Whippenstick Phoenix made by a great bowyer and better guy right here in Wisconsin...check out his web site, you won't believe his workmanship...pure artistry.

Traditional isn't for everybody...shoot what works for you. I haven't shot compounds in over 30 years and I know huge strides in technology have been made. But, as others have stated, we don't need huge poundage to kill a deer. Tune your gear and match arrows with broadheads. For me with the trad gear, I shoot 2 blade zwickey deltas...shaving sharp...on cedars. No problems. Good luck bro.

11-Feb-15
Jeff , you are wrong to say not to buy a Name Bow . When its time for a replacement bow for me its a Mathews . New or used its a Mathews . The last 3 Bows I bought I walked in the proshop , shot a few Mathews , pick out one and went shooting .

I have gone on over 30 out of state bowhunts from Texas to Alberta . I have seen many bows breakdown . Can 't tell you how many times I saw guys shooting badly at the camp target and saying , " Geez , it was shooting fine last week " . Most of those bows were Jennings , Bear , Pearson , and others . I don't remember any issues with a Mathews or Hoyt unless it was self inflicted .

When some of you guys get older , get the bills caught up , and the kids gone , you'll be able to take these hunts . When the time comes you better have the best gear out there .

11-Feb-15
All new bows are high quality. It's about finding one that feels the best for you regardless of what name is on it.

11-Feb-15
"Jeff , you are wrong to say not to buy a Name Bow . When its time for a replacement bow for me its a Mathews . New or used its a Mathews . The last 3 Bows I bought I walked in the proshop , shot a few Mathews , pick out one and went shooting."

Exactly what not to do..... Everyone is a fanboy of their bow and no other bow is better. Not that Mathews doesn't make good equipment, they just spend a huge amount of $$$ in advertising, TV hunter, etc... You just admitted the last 3 bow purchases, you walked in and shot Mathews. How do you know how the others perform if you only shoot Mathews?

Every bow is different and the only way to choose is to shoot them. Purchasing one because it's a popular name or looks cool usually results in a disappointment.

11-Feb-15
Stopped at the local shop earlier. Told him what I was looking. His shoulders all tore up as well. First thing he handed me was a Hoyt Charger dialed it back to 40lbs and that was real smooth. Tried several others in bowtech, and PSE for the feel. None of them drew or broke like the charger. Wanted to try the carbon, but only had the 50/70 model. That was real rough and could not draw it dialed all the way down. Did not have a 40/50 to try. Wont be getting one either unless ordered. At $1300 i'm shooting before committing!!! Was told the Carbon is the lightest bow on the market right now. Not researched it myself.

Could not recall the PSE you guys shot. None of what he had there was the one. He could not name anything when asked, and had no catalog to look at. Checked their site when I got in. None of what I seen there looked familiar 15 mins later.

Dang it all no Eva Shockey singature series either, lol

After trying several I was in no shape to shoot anymore. So need to stop back and shoot that charger. See if it shoots and feels better when drawing in that manner.

Got a bigger shop about 30 mins to the south with more manufactures, and maybe models to check out. Then there is also that big shop to my north. That has to be well over an hour away though.

Kinda of a pain though, as am going to have to make many trips to find something. Cant check them like I did then shoot in the same day. after 4-5 draws was already going down hill fast. Will have to find what feels good then return and shoot later like with that charger.

Maybe one will have one of those premonitions. Surely cant be making multiple trips to wausau to try things.

This is going to be an adventure for sure!!

12-Feb-15
" Purchasing one because it's a popular name or looks cool " . I just double checked the thread and no one said that . Don't put words into other peoples mouths .

You missed my point . Comepletely . I agree , with big box names comes extra dollars no matter what the product is . I drink Keystone light at 6.99 a 12 pack . Its Coor light w/o the advertizing , I save 3 bucks . I do that with a lot of products . Last year I refused to buy a camo rangefinder with realtree on it . The sales guy gave me a $20 discount because they had no black :-]

But when its comes to my bow , big game rifle , and self defense weapons I buy the best . When you buy a new bow do you install all walmart gear on it ? I can answer that . No . A few years ago at a directors meeting we talked about sites and arrow rests with a few other guys . You my friend had the good stuff on your bow .

You know , you could have saved some money by buying the stuff w/o advertizing . heh heh .

12-Feb-15
A 40lb bow with high let off, and the heaviest arrow you can shoot, with a 2 blade fixed head, you can punch thru any bear or deer, w/o a problem.......

13-Feb-15
Ruger, just because some of the other manufacturers may be smaller doesn't mean they make an inferior product.

13-Feb-15
I have not shot any of the new Bear bows but I have been hearing great things about them and their efforts to bring the name back to the forefront in Archery. Might be worth looking into Steve.

13-Feb-15
OK I'll speak a little slower , some of you don't understand my point . And thats my fault . I don't buy it because its the most expensive . GEEZ . I buy past performance , reputation , tech reports in the mags and journals .

I buy my gramdkids Diamond Edge bows . They are $ 350 . In my opinion the Diamond at 350 ready to shoot is a best buy for begining Bowhunters hunting in WI . They are not going to Alaska < 5000. ILL < 2000 > or ALBERTA < 3500 > .

When the day comes that I walk in the proshop and he tells me you gotta shot this new Bear and the tech reports rave about it , and a guy around the campfire tells me he dropped his bow 200 feet off a cliff in ID last year and it still shot perfectly . I'll try it .

As many of you know I have been a gunsmith for about 35 years . I have bought and sold guns from many Bowsiters and I thank you . Deer hunters call or stop by all the time to talk about a new big game rifle . Fact , about 2 out of 100 test fire before they purchase . A guy last week stopped and needs a deer rifle for WI and a trip to SK this fall . We decided on a Browning A-BOLT , 3x9 Leopold , 30-06 with fed premium 165 grain bullets . I told him the gun will shoot under an inch when I hand it to him . That simple .

13-Feb-15
Ruger X2

13-Feb-15

wi p&y's embedded Photo
wi p&y's embedded Photo
She came home yesterday. Probally not the best for bad shoulder. But ill take 280fps with 500 gr arrows.

13-Feb-15
Congrats. She will getrdone.

14-Feb-15
Steve, what release do you shoot?

14-Feb-15
I'm still using an old trufire claw. Not sure of the model have had for a long time. That will have to be updated.

WI P&Y- I wanted to try that one,but like I said did not have the right draw weight in stock. Supposed to be the lightest on the market. Should have asked, or looked to see if the cams were the same as on the charger. That charger was by far the smoothest I tried that day.

I was kind of amazed at how much difference the cams make in the draw. So much has changed since I last bought a new bow. Won't be hard for you guys to believe, but I could feel the difference in weight. Even when it was only 6 ounces!

You guys are giving lots of good info, and I appreciate it. Taking it all in!!

14-Feb-15
Steve, the cams on the Charger are different than what's on WI P&Y's bow. If I'm not mistaken his is a Turbo and has the Turbo Cam. The Charger has the Charger cam, which is a bit less aggressive and about 30fps slower. The Charger being less aggressive should feel more smooth on the draw, which I'm thinking would be good for you. If you go the Charger route, I would try and get a left over 2014. In 2015, they switched to plastic limb pockets. Probably not a big deal, but would be a deal breaker for me.

14-Feb-15
Plastic and cold don't generally mix well.

14-Feb-15
wi p&y, did Buckrub set up your bow by any chance? They are the only "pro" shop that I know that uses the football clamp on the drop away instead of serving it in. The new Hoyt factory strings are also pretty good so you could ditch the noisy, rubber tube peep. Sweet rig by the way, cool seeing others that like to shoot heavy arrows.

14-Feb-15
Yes i did. Was not very happy with them in general. Will be the last bow i buy there. And yes its the turbo so its a different cam, which i actually preffered over the z5 cam. Ill be taking the tube off once the string is broke in. They tied my dloop in a opposite direction of my peep so ive got that to change as well.

15-Feb-15
Check out the Hoyt Charger. Great bow for the price. Another great bow if you have shoulder issues are them Elite bows.

15-Feb-15
reason I ask about the release is you might find that if you can keep your elbow lower on the draw it might help with the pain. even if you had to switch to fingers you will feel less pain. it'd be better than a xbow

16-Feb-15
What is the new definition of "heavy" arrows? I've shot 485 grain carbons for years.

16-Feb-15
lc, by todays standards that is heavy. A lot of younger guys think 400 is heavy. My "light" arrows are 420 grains with 18% FOC. Which isn't real easy to do when you shoot a 26" arrow like I do. having a short DL also makes it hard to get much speed out of heavy arrows. Sorry to hi-jack your thread Steve.

16-Feb-15
Not high jacked at all!! Every bit of info is good stuff. Im a big sponge!!

Realdeal, not sure what you mean by that. I tried to sort of simulate what you were talking about. Found it very hard to drop below 90, or perpendicular to my body. Guess I can what you mean in a way. If I pull my arm back keeping my elbow down lower to the hip. There is no pain at all. Not sure how you would shoot that way though.

Crawford have not had a chance to check a bunch of shops with more and different models. Like posted above though. What I have looked at so far. By far the Charger was the easiest smoothest drawing bow I have touched. Will get my hands on a bunch more before it is done.

The whole reason for this thread is to get info from you folks that already have been trying things out. Narrow the field so to speak. Besides who knows who else may be reading this. That may be in the same boat. Yet, not willing to say or ask anything. Pride always seems to get in the way for us guys at times. I'm not exactly a small guy. Do a lot of things many cannot. A lot which does cause pain, but grimace through it. Carrying bait buckets, hauling stands, dragging critters, and a whole lot more. Gave up a lot of stuff though. Bowhunting, and Musky fishing the 2 big ones. LC can tell you, he has seen me do a lot of this stuff mentioned.

Finally going to try to get it fixed maybe. Stared with the docs again last week. He told me it was about time. Have to find a way to work out covering the bills during recovery. Of course it will have to be scheduled after bear season. So I can be healed up before the next one starts.

So keep the good stuff coming!!!

• Sitka Gear