Big-Otis-Jeff 17-Feb-15
UCMDEER 17-Feb-15
shakyheadsabol 17-Feb-15
Little Bear 18-Feb-15
Babysaph 19-Feb-15
Little Bear 27-Feb-15
Bennett2012 28-Feb-15
16-Feb-15
Driving back the lane to our house I had 5 bucks cross in front of me - all still supporting some nice headgear! At least this a bit of good news - must admit the deer farm and crossbow bill has me down in the dumps.....

16-Feb-15
That means the nutrition level this fall was great and hopefully will get thru the winter still healthy and get a jump start on antler growth for this fall.

I'm bummed too, but we just have to keep working to see how the final bills come out and whether they are vetoed or not . If any are vetoed then see if the legislature tries to override the veto.

The shows not over till the fat lady sings.

16-Feb-15
jay D quotes - "I sort of found this interesting and to me if there is no shortage anywhere in WV then why were there only 37000 bucks killed - I am thinking this is just a ploy for increased revenue."

16-Feb-15

shakyheadsabol's Link
"The annual antler cycle is ultimately controlled by day length or photoperiod. The brain contains a kind of clock that measures the periods of light and dark and uses this information to ultimately control the secretion of the reproductive hormone testosterone in males. Testosterone controls the antler cycle. In tests, bucks kept in constant 12 hours of light and dark were unable to shed their antlers and grow new ones, and bucks kept in constant light grew and lost three sets of antlers in two years."

16-Feb-15
I'm sorry. I was talking about real life.

16-Feb-15

gobbler's Link
When deer drop their antlers depend upon the stress after the rut, heredity, and nutrition.

16-Feb-15
so let me be straight, you are insuating that a deer could be in poor health with high testosterlone and still drop his antlers before a deer that has low t and in great health?

16-Feb-15
saw this happen in 2011, large mast crop, deer in good shape, low buck harvest, I had bucks carry antlers until first week of March. Last year, poor mast, deer stressed and in poor condition, bucks were all shed by first week on Jan. This year a large mast deer are in good shape and I have yet to see one that's shed

16-Feb-15
I'm not insinuating anything. I'm simply stating a fact that bucks with good nutrition will carry antlers longer than a buck with poor nutrition.

I freely admit that the amount of daylightl has a lot to do with hormones in bucks and does, but the amount of light on a given day dosen't vary much from year to year. And on average, in years like this where there was an abundance of mast they tend to carry antlers longer than in years when there is a mast failure like what happenned 4 or 5 years ago. That year there were numerous reports of bucks dropping their antlers in December.

There is even research suggesting that does will go into heat once their fat levels reach a certain percentage. Once the fat reserves reach a certain percentage that triggers the release of hormones that causes them to be receptive to bucks.

Some of the biologists are suggesting that is why we had an earlier than normal rut this year. There was such an abundance of food that the does were able to pack on fat quicker and that is what lead to an early rut.

16-Feb-15
So what are you going to say when I provide pics of healthy bucks (2014 season) losing horns in dec.?

16-Feb-15
Nothing, I answered the question. Nutrition was one of three variables. I'm not going to respond to anymore of your questions. If I wanted to deal with children I would have had kids.

Please refer to the "some days I feel like a talk show host" thread

16-Feb-15
Whats your deal shakyheadsabol?

Is everything a fight with with you or what?

17-Feb-15
Big Otis where we have been warned of the Internet police among us - I don't think anyone needs to br informed that there is a troll amongst us either.

17-Feb-15
LOL.......yep..

How many trolls are can you get in a year? Can you buy extra tags?

17-Feb-15
I'm calling your bluff! Lets see the pics of Dec. shed bucks. I have at least 15 bucks located and not a one has shed as of the last collection of SD cards

17-Feb-15

shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo
shakyheadsabol's embedded Photo

18-Feb-15
4 point in the yard this morning and then saw decent 8 running with four does this evening.

19-Feb-15
I saw a spike this morning going to work. In Jefferson county. I think he wondered over here from Pendleton county.

27-Feb-15
Saw an 8 point this evening. Can tell things have changed because it was being followed by a doe and not vice versa.

Those antlers are holding tight.

28-Feb-15
Small buck yesterday still holding both sides

• Sitka Gear