Bourbonator 17-Feb-15
BOWJO 17-Feb-15
DaleHajas 17-Feb-15
RC 17-Feb-15
Bourbonator 18-Feb-15
RC 18-Feb-15
Bogey PA 20-Feb-15
16-Feb-15
Come on Justin! Everyone knows you wouldn't be a true shroomer if ya didn't do it the " natural" way!!

Seems to me that would be cheating. Kinda like planting a food plot or using a trail camera or something.

Yep, only a sissy pants shroomer would try to grow his own:))

17-Feb-15
I concur with Ben.

:^)

Seriously though, I've never done it, so can't help ya there. Depending on which variety you try to grow, you might really have your patience tested. Their growth is often very unpredictable... at least in the woods it is.

I had a big sulfur shelf grow on a cherry tree behind my house ONCE in all the years I lived there :^( There are other places I can think of the same thing happening with oyster, califlower, morel, and sheepshead... find them there one time and never again since.... I keep going back though, hoping :^)

Perhaps there is a type that is more predicatable? Or easier to make content to grow?

17-Feb-15
I think most mushrooms are very hard to cultivate. I'll stick to walking in the woods, mother nature is real good at growing them.

17-Feb-15
Same with me, Jeff. I am always careful to leave a little bit behind. The sheeps heads and sulphur shelfs I have found on oaks never grew back. Morels will pop up nearby but neverin exactly the same spot.

17-Feb-15
Sheepshead are actually one of the most consistant... even so... in some places they come back most years, some places they don't.

I expect some, due to their own immediate surroundings, need other conditions such as rainfall, temps, sun and shade, etc. to be more 'precise' for them. I know several places where sheepshead grow more years than not. My most reliable spot, they come up on the same white oak, by creekside, almost every year. You don't have to leave some of the actual upper mushroom behind, but I cut them off close to the ground rather than just ripping them out by the roots. They will regrow the following year if ripped out by the roots, but if I cut them, sometimes they'll grow right back in a couple weeks. I also try to carry mushrooms in a fishnet-type bag... like those that onions and oranges come in, so that the spoors are shaken and deposited as I carry them around. It may not do much good, but I do it anyhow. That's the extent of my mushroom farmin' :^)

I enjoy the actual hunting for them as much as eating them, so even if I could grow them in my back yard, I'd still go hunt em.

17-Feb-15
Justin, keep us posted if you give that a try. I'd be interested in your results.

17-Feb-15

DaleHajas's Link
I'll be trying some of these. If you see any of these mushrooms at the local farmers market they probably came from here. You can grow shiitakes very easily in yer basement, plus plug kits and now outside kits. I've seen the shiitake bag kits and eaten some mushrooms and they're excellent!

I've heard of quite a few folks trying to grow morels in a buried elm log, with no luck.

Cut or pinch your mushrooms near the base. And you can use an onion bag that's vented to spread spores as you walk around. Also some guys save the rinse water to throw out into the woods to also spread spores.

There Is a mushroom club in Pa that has walks. Western Pa Mushroom club, and they hold walks just about every where in Pa

17-Feb-15
Purchased and devoured:) You buy the kit hang the spore impregnated sawdust filled bag in your basement, and mist it with water... After a Few weeks you got harvestable mushrooms I believe they continue to grow for a couple months. I don't know total weight of harvestable product... Maybe 10 lb?

17-Feb-15
Dale, nice link! I'm going to try the shitake thing!

17-Feb-15
Justin, I tried that shitake log many years ago when I lived in my old house. Prolly 10 years ago or more. It did not work out for me. Got to get the temp and humidity right. They made it look so easy. Maybe it's just me!

I'll stick to picking wild.

17-Feb-15
This company has a good reputation as far as the basement kits. I don't know anybody that tried the outside kits.

17-Feb-15
I tried growing mushrooms, never panned out, guess the soil was bad. All that came up was weed.

18-Feb-15
Was it good weed Roy?

18-Feb-15
Wasn't bad:)

20-Feb-15
lmao

• Sitka Gear