onX Maps
Rep. Ross Joins Attack on MDC
Missouri
Contributors to this thread:
Ron Kruger 17-Feb-15
Ron Kruger 17-Feb-15
17-Feb-15
There are at least a dozen bills currently being considered that are aimed at damaging or destroying the Missouri Department of Conservation. They're coming at the MDC from every imaginable angle, but Rep. Ryan Ross, District 142, has come up with a couple more.

Ross recently filed HB’s 833 and 834.

HB833 would flatly prohibit “clear cutting” and establish the “Forestry Management Consortium” to implement and prescribe management of state-owned forestland. The bill would require the department to follow the consortium’s recommendations “without variance.”

HB834 would prohibit the department from purchasing or receiving donated land without legislative approval. Ross additionally filed a joint resolution that, if approved by voters, would require legislative approval for any land purchased by the department.

Although I'm investigating this further, the "clear cutting" Ross is attacking is the MDC's practice of creating food plots on many of its Conservation Areas to enhance wildlife habitat. Right now, the MDC is realizing considerable profit from the sale of timber, so I suspect this is another effort to cut their revenues any way possible.

I don't think the other bill has a chance, because it is ridiculous. To tell private citizens they can't sell, or even donate, land to the MDC without legislative approval is so contrary to citizen's rights and free trade, I believe even those law makers blinded by their hatred of MDC's political independence will have trouble supporting this measure.

Ross, by the way, is on the committee for Conservation and Natural Resource.

What do you think?

17-Feb-15
Sorry, it is Robert Ross, not Ryan Ross. I'd never heard of this guy, but I have a good friend named Ryan Ross and as I was typing it, I was wondering if they were related. Couldn't figure out how to edit my post.

• Sitka Gear