bowfisher 25-Feb-15
bowfisher 20-Aug-15
WV Mountaineer 20-Aug-15
bowfisher 20-Aug-15
WV Mountaineer 20-Aug-15
JayD 21-Aug-15
bowfisher 21-Aug-15
17-Feb-15
Hey guys, as of now I'm a senior in high school hunting mainly in the NP, but come next year I plan on attending WVU for their school of engineering. I still plan on hunting and fishing at home plenty but will also want to do some down there too. I actually plan on taking a small trip this spring to the area to try to do some turkey hunting and possible scout some areas. I frequent there semi often as my girlfriend currently attends school there, so I if all works out I'll have decent amount of time to scout/hunt/fish down there this spring. I know some of you have hunted around there before and was wondering if anyone could shoot me a PM On promising areas to check out for deer/turkey. I'm particularly interested in coopers rock also due to its size and antler restrictions imposed there. Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Bowfisher

17-Feb-15
You need to get plugged into the urban hunt there in Morgantown. Perhaps someone can fill you in on when the next bowhunter education class is if you haven't had it yet.

I think that would give you some good opportunities not far from class.

18-Feb-15
When I was in college there in late 70s WVU had their own research forest out by coopers rock..only wvu students could hunt ..it was very good with research plots mixed hardwoods and I had the place to myself lots of times...lot of deer there back then

18-Feb-15
bowfisher, gcolephone is talking about the cave man era so I'm not sure how much that would apply now. LOL!

Love ya bud!

19-Feb-15
Caveman era,,,I'm hurt ,,,,in my cave man long life I've forgot more about bow huntin then u young whipper snappers know ??,,,,,I will say Motown sure looks diffenent now,,,,,maybe doc hettick or long beard will chime in,,,,,wait long beards a cave man too.....

19-Feb-15
hey gcoleman, maybe you should get long beard to let you have his handle after seeing those pics on facebook. Not to mention all those long beards you've killed in that long cave man life.

21-Feb-15
Coopers rock is good hunting. It has been over twenty years since I've been there but, we killed turkey's and deer there. We also hunted along the river right outside of Morgantown. Lots of deer and turkey. God Bless

21-Feb-15
The "research forest" out by coopers rock is "currently" part of the state forest. The Coopers Rock State forest is about 12-13,000 acres these days (sorry, gcoleman don't know you but I couldn't resist). It is all public now with antler restrictions. I took a 139 6/8" gross 12 point there in 2009 with a rifle. I haven't taken a buck there since, but there are some good deer there. It is somewhat difficult to hunt. There are two WMA's in the western part of the county that have higher deer numbers called Pedlar Run and Indian Creek WMA's. I know of a 130's buck taken in Indian Creek WMA. If you are interested in the Morgantown City Hunt, you will need to register for the lottery pick very soon. The city hall does this lottery pick with consideration to how many hunters slots they have (which is coordinated by the hunt coordinator and the known amount of spots available). Good Luck.

21-Feb-15
I was also checking out those other Wma's as well. Sounds like it's all promising. With coopers rock being such a large area, would anyone chime in on certain parts that are better or worse? I know I've hunted some big chunks of land before and some parts can be dead or just too rugged to hunt while not all too far away can be great. Again just trying to gain some information, thankyou.

21-Feb-15
Honestly it changes year to year with the mast production. Getting feet on the ground and scouting is the best bet. Good Luck

21-Feb-15
Man things have changed,,,wow I am old......both my kids live and work up in mon and Marion county and when I go up to visit I have to learn area all over....where I lived behind med center didn't even resemble what I remember back when I was in forestry school,,all changed,,,,,am I the only one on here that thinks 1970s don't seem that long ago.....hope I'm not the only one lol

21-Feb-15

M.P.'s embedded Photo
M.P.'s embedded Photo
George ,was this you in the 70s?

21-Feb-15
Ur dead mp ur old as I am,,,,,hey mule head I need ur help

21-Feb-15
Mp....may bird of paradise fly up ur nose...remember that one

21-Feb-15
gcoleman: You are not kidding about Morgantown changing and growing. Worst thing is that the roads aren't adding any lanes, so as everything grows so does the traffic wait time.

21-Feb-15
I didn't know the University had been built when you were up there George.

21-Feb-15
Bunch of clowns

23-Feb-15
thanks guys.... I just snarfed my coffee all over the desk and monitor.... You old people sure are funny... But I hunt up by the rest stop on 68.

23-Feb-15
I live about a mile from the Little Indian Creek WMA and about three miles from the Pedlar Run WMA. Both are great areas. I do not think they are hunted very hard at all during bow season anymore. Years ago while coon hunting we would see good bucks on the Little Indian Creek WMA. Back then it was not a WMA.

23-Feb-15
I've got a great picture of George snow blowing his driveway. But we are going to save it to put on big screen at banquet.

25-Feb-15
How's the turkey population on coopers??

20-Aug-15
Hey guys, well I'm all moved in and stuff down here! This fall I'm definitely going to do a good bit of scouting down here since I can't hunt down here at all this year. Anyways, anyone have any more info or recommendations? Pm me if you'd prefer that, thankyou guys!

20-Aug-15
Why can't you hunt? God Bless

20-Aug-15
Living on campus in a dorm. Cannot keep bow or other essential things here. I'll still hunt back home but want to get a bunch of in season scouting done down here while it won't be eating away at hunting time!

20-Aug-15
Man, I hate that for you. I'd make friends with someone off campus to keep it. Good luck and God Bless

21-Aug-15
I agree with WV Mountaineer find a friend off campus - I am about 2 hours away if I were closer you could leave bow here!

When I went there back in the 80's - I thought I remember correctly that they had a site somewhere on campus for storing such things. I was fortunate and had a cousin who own a mobile home there and I just left it with him. Maybe ask your adviser about it.

21-Aug-15
I've definitely considered that, it's just I don't have my own car down here with me and other things would create a large hassle. It's okay though, I'm totally willing to give up some hunting time for just one season! As of right now what I'm really looking into are areas down here to scout now and hunt next year and years after. This way I have a perfect opportunity to scout IN SEASON without sacrificing otherwise precious hunting time. But I do like the concern from you guys about my hunting! Haha I love bowsite

• Sitka Gear