dc-archer 19-Feb-15
happygolucky 19-Feb-15
Jeff in MN 19-Feb-15
Turkeyhunter 19-Feb-15
Redclub 20-Feb-15
Jeff in MN 20-Feb-15
Two Feathers 20-Feb-15
18-Feb-15
For the same reasons cited in the article, I would have a difficult time supporting a law like that. If the sale of that meat proved to be lucrative enough, those looking to capitalize on it would surely find ways to take advantage of a resource owned by the people of the state. Issues like crop location (ie: proximity to cover), type of crop, time allowed in the field before harvest, quality of seed and many others would surface. It has the potential to lead to the concentrating and farming of wild deer with the express intent of harvest and sale of them. This could cause additional time and labor (taxpayer cost) for those charged with overseeing and administering such a program.

18-Feb-15

Naz 's Link
Agree, ripe for abuse.

"Ground venison goes for $10/lb. online"

Simple solution, donate to the food banks. It's a win-win. Maryland already has a program in place, and has for decades.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/FHFH/meatproc.asp

18-Feb-15
No way on this. It puts a monetary value on the animal and would only lead to more poaching. This would be an atrocious idea.

19-Feb-15
Yup, sounds like a 'market hunting' opportunity for abuse to me.

Same reason why I won't order walleye when we go out for fish on Friday.

19-Feb-15
I think would definitely be an incentive to poachers, and people swerving to HIT deer on the road ;-) And how would the processing be regulated? I could see where someone would not make a recovery until next morning during warm or hot weather, and package it up anyway since its $10-$20 per pound. I could see people getting sick as a result of this.

19-Feb-15
Who cares who is eligible? People did see that. It still stinks of poaching. How regulated can it be? Who can determine that a pound of venison is pure venison and doesn't contain pig fat or cheap beef? Terrible idea on so many accounts.

Those people should donate their deer to the needy families and be able to take a tax deduction for the donation.

19-Feb-15
Processing the deer, would probably have to be done by a butcher. I tried to donate a deer to food shelf once before they had the state program for that. I would have had to pay a butcher to process it and certify that it was not gut shot.

19-Feb-15
"Those people should donate their deer to the needy families and be able to take a tax deduction for the donation."

Talk to your tax preparer about taking the deduction if you think you're entitled to it. People make in-kind contributions all the time. If it's under $500 you don't need an appraisal.

20-Feb-15
Years back a meat processor was fined for selling venison sausage,He stated that it was from deer that were brought in and never picked up. He was recovering His costs. Thoughts?

20-Feb-15
It is a cost of doing business. Every business takes losses one way or another. The cost is a tax deduction, the sausage, well either eat it, give it to friends, or donate it for door prizes or whatever at a banquet and get some advertising out of it.

20-Feb-15
Jeff x2! It's a cost of doing business and solutions are already available.

About the legislation - a bad idea.

• Sitka Gear