Novemberforever 20-Feb-15
10orbetter 20-Feb-15
RutNut@work 20-Feb-15
CaptMike 20-Feb-15
WausauDug 20-Feb-15
RutNut@work 21-Feb-15
happygolucky 24-Feb-15
19-Feb-15
Since we now have so many political threads on the forum, making our governor sound like the "next coming"

Please explain to me, what is this guy going to do, who is he going to put in charge, what direction is his DNR agency going to go, to make the north woods, a better place to deer hunt.......

That's all I want to know........ I would support the guy, if I had one, piece of info, on if there is any intention, on doing something.......

Besides the CDAC meetings that I see are mostly old guys who hardly hunt, what the heck is the mission statement

I listened to one CDAC member, and after making a suggestion, that he thought was stupid, he said, based on what, and I said,,,, when was the last time you were in the woods, he said last deer season,,,,, when he said to me, when was the last time you were in the woods, I said yesterday.............

19-Feb-15
Had a lot of faith in Walker doing the right thing but he seems to be backtracking rapidly. Another recent example of his lack of concern for Wisconsin and the north is stripping all the money for the walleye initiative out of the budget. Asinine after all the effort for this in the past year!!

20-Feb-15
razor-Without turning it into a rant either for or against, I have no trust that anything significant is going to change to help grow the herd! I believe the intent, is to get Wisconsin out of the business of deer hunting, plain and simple. Walker has made it clear he does not like public funding of anything. Why would it be different for deer hunting, public hunting grounds, state parks, state forests…? His record speaks for itself.

FullDraw2015-here is your money for the Walleye initiative. The AP story are not my words. Rather the words of a Pulitzer prize winning news paper. When you waste an extra $19.3 million on late fees for a $108 million debt payment, something has to get cut. If you or I did this in our work we would be fired or out of business in a very short time. Skip your house payment next month and tell the bank you didn't have as much income. See what they do.

Wisconsin's Legislative Fiscal Bureau has announced that Governor Scott Walker's administration will skip a scheduled $108 million debt payment because of a budget shortfall. The state is allowed to skip this payment under its loan terms without defaulting, but costs will accumulate over the long term, "starting with an additional $19.3 million in the two-year budget starting in June," Jason Stein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. Wisconsin had a surplus last year, which spurred Walker to enact a new round of $541 million in tax cuts, the Washington Post's Jeff Guo writes. But since then, less revenue has come in than expected, leading to a $280 million shortfall that must be plugged by June 30. Skipping the debt payment lets Walker "avoid the spectacle of a state budget repair bill," Stein writes. The news will surely draw attention to Walker's handling of his state's finances as he gears up for a presidential run. Since taking office, Walker has cut taxes by nearly $2 billion.

20-Feb-15
The wdnr has the dpsm in the north right where it needs to be for certified forest. Grow the herd? They allowed 10,000 antlerless to be taken in the " no doe tag" northern zone. Does that sound like a serious concern to grow the herd? It will take public land trigger restraint which happens on private lands. Goodluck with that.

20-Feb-15
November - You are correct. The youth hunt up here should be limited to a one time deal, for a new young hunter, that was the intent.....

There are nice bucks up here, and to kill one is a challenge,,,,,, I have found again this winter, some impressive rubs, and one impressive shed, in one of the few yards, that still exists......

It was said at a CDAC meeting, that without baiting the deer would starve,,,,,,, pretty sad commentary.....

From a selfish point of view, if they eliminated baiting, and there was no doe tags for anyone, well heck, there would be no one in the woods, and them deer would have to move a lot......

I agree the only thing that will grow this herd is mother nature...... sure not going to get any help from either the Feds or our DNR -------

With the legislature we have now, the DNR means for public land - Deer Not Required

20-Feb-15
I don't have problems with youth taking does up north. 10,000 antlerless deer for that wide an area (I believe it to be 20 or so counties). As many people have said before I do have a problem if dad or uncle bob is filling that doe tag instead of the young hunter.

20-Feb-15
It is a huge area; that equals less than one doe killed for every 32 40s, or two square miles. Do agree group hunting for that deer in buck-only units should not be allowed, and in areas that truly are seriously low on deer, the adults should be talking to the youths about the future and holding out for something with antlers if it's slim pickings. On the other hand, there are select properties (ag, young forests) where taking one doe every two square miles up north is not going to hurt. Painting north of 29 with a broad brush, or saying "the decimated 19" counties is not accurate.

20-Feb-15
I still would like to see either Hunters Choice or one deer per season, per hunter regardless of weapon. If they don't do something, here is what will happen, the instant gratification kids of today will walk away from hunting as a recreation. There will be no future for hunting.

These kids and parents expect a three ring circus in education at their schools. That same mentality exists in the way they experience the outdoors. Taking a walk in the woods isn't enough anymore. They have to blast through the woods on RAZOR X, MAD MAX, Super Charged, Blown, Hemi, Monster Quads while shooting Bone Crusher, 5000 feet per second, laser guided, heat seeking, ass ripping, Zombi Grinding X Guns. You think any of them are going to sit and wait for one buck to come walking by during an entire season? Not a chance!

20-Feb-15
I don't think its fair to lump all kids into a bucket and say they are all the same. Ultimately, I think it comes down to who got these kids into the outdoors and who helped to shape their idea of the outdoors. My grandparents and uncles showed me the outdoors and how to appreciate the fish and game we have in our state. To this day I don't keep fish just to have them, I only keep what I'm going to eat. I would like to think I have the same mentality when it comes to deer hunting. I've never bought doe tags just to buy them up and harvest multiple deer.

I don't think hunter's safety classes are what they used to be either. Nor do kid's get involved in scouts like they used to and I'm not sure the message they present is the same either.

20-Feb-15
All I'm going to say about youth shooting does in the no doe zone is I saw infinitely more does hanging on meat poles than I saw "youth" in the field...which leads me to ask who in the heck is REALLY shooting those does???

20-Feb-15
Does on poles are visible, not too many youths hanging on poles.

20-Feb-15
"Does on poles are visible, not too many youths hanging on poles. "

Drive by my house, dam kids drive me nuts;)

20-Feb-15
Until sconnie grows up and bans party hunting abuses will continue. But that would stand in the way of killing deer. Oh and tradition like the bow season right?

20-Feb-15
Brew, I do a lot of work in various sports with kids. Unscientifically, I would say 5 out of 100 will have more than a passing interest in hunting, if we are lucky. The encouraging thing is the number of girls becoming interested. I would hate to lose those five kids because of low game numbers.

20-Feb-15
"Until sconnie grows up and bans party hunting abuses will continue"

November nailed it here. Group bagging is one of the worst things for deer hunting in WI. If you don't have a tag for it, don't be a game hog.

20-Feb-15
Agree with that one!

20-Feb-15
jeez guys chillaxx on the youth doe tags getting filled by adults. Your on a witch hunt, haven't heard of widespread or any abuse of uncle Bob filling little nephew Robby's tag. Yes it can happen due to the rules wording but I'm guessing the DNR left it alone due to the negligible numbers. And please, I don't want to "grow up" and limit my deer hunting. I get 9 days of the whole year to gun hunt. Do you want me to feel better for not seeing anything by limiting my days afield and upping my average? The party hunt lets me still-hunt w/ my family all week should I get lucky early on. I know when your watching the same patch of woods and not seeing anything your imagining one guy in the neighbors group somehow shooting all your bucks. I understand this can get sticky in areas of a lot of private land but in the north where we have all that available area and few hunters, and deer for that matter its a non issue and keeps the great tradition alive.

21-Feb-15
WD, it's all about choices. If you don't want to be done hunting. Be more selective about what you shoot. If doe tags are available in your area, pick up one or two and hunt does. There is no reason for people to be group bagging, other than greed.

24-Feb-15
I 100% on getting rid of group bagging. I also think "no does" should mean "no does" period - end of story. We don't need to continue to coddle the kids. They will understand and be more proud of their kills when they come.

• Sitka Gear