wibuckwatch 22-Feb-15
Mike F 22-Feb-15
wibuckwatch 22-Feb-15
CaptMike 22-Feb-15
Mike F 22-Feb-15
Doug 23-Feb-15
wibuckwatch 24-Feb-15
22-Feb-15
My cheap dehydrator is starting to really need replacing. I'm wondering if i should jump to a smoker or just purchase a higher quality lager capacity dehydrator. I enjoy making jerky most, but i'm pretty sure i can do that with a smoker. I wouldn't mind learning to so sausage and more. Do i need them both what do you use?

22-Feb-15
I have an electric smoker that is insulated and the heat is regulated with a thermostat. You can do jerky, sausage, brisket, smoke, cook or bbq.

Even in the cold today I smoked a 25 lb batch of ring bologna and now I have a batch of polish sausage in it.

I do not smoke fish in the same smoker because if the oils it leaves behind in the smoker.

Plus I get all the liquid smoke I need for baiting bear!!

22-Feb-15
can or do you use the electric smoker in the house?

22-Feb-15
A smoker can be used to dehydrate but you cannot smoke with a dehydrator. Any type of smoker will emit far too much smoke to be used in the house (at least for me).

22-Feb-15
I would not use a smoker in the house, garage or shed.

Propane or electric they will both do the job. I had a gas smoker and found it hard to keep an even temperature throughout(top to bottom) the smoker and I believe it ads moisture to the smoker. I use maple and hickory chunks for smoking sausage and sawdust for cold smoking.

I Like Electric and have nothing against propane. If the power goes out my Generac Generator kicks in.

I would also stay away form aluminum if you want it to last. It breaks down a lot faster than stainless. The first smoker I had was a Little Chief Smoker and it lasted about 3 years before I had to replace it.

Mine is built out of food grade stainless and is 14 years old. I have replaced the heating element 2 times. I smoke at least 500 lbs of sausage, some pork butts, briskets, and ribs every year.

Many times I start smoking a batch about 5:30 in the morning and it is just about finished when I get home after work.

Go out and look on the smoking forms and you will see many different smokers.

Good Luck!

23-Feb-15
I purchased an insulated electric smoker for jerky and other items. Works just fine for making jerky with a little added flavor vs using my dehydrator or oven. I do 1 cycle of smoke and just let it dry after that leaving the vents wide open.

You will not get a bark on your meats with an electric smoker and its not good for finishing our chicken, but I knew this going into this purchase. For me the benefit of consistent temp, and a timer made it a great fit for my lifestyle. Load it up - set temp. - and timer and it does its thing.

Smokers are not to be used indoors...... Do some research there area lot of forums that will teach you to use the various smokers, how to overcome the shortcomings of each to make delicious food. Use what works best for you.

24-Feb-15
Thanks guys!!

• Sitka Gear