Naz 28-Feb-15
RJN 28-Feb-15
10orbetter 28-Feb-15
Geitz 28-Feb-15
Naz 28-Feb-15
Turkeyhunter 01-Mar-15
25-Feb-15

Naz 's Link
Kaz this morning introduced an amendment to return to "standard seasons" which would include a December antlerless-only gun deer hunt in the north, meaning if tags are available in any areas and hunters hadn't already filled them, they could try again.

The December doe/fawn gun hunt up north was taken out in the northern units under the emergency rule, but he recommended it be returned for the permanent rule. The amendment passed.

On the other hand, he doesn't want the holiday hunt to be permanent in the south but instead be an optional tool (which is what I think most originally thought it would be, not permanent).

He also is asking for no need for approval by two-thirds majority of counties in a zone for more herd control options, but rather individual counties be given the option to have an antlerless-only bow and gun season and a holiday hunt season. He also wants them to be able to add options annually instead of the current recommendation for three-year season structures.

Wouldn't that help with simplicity? LOL

That one also passed.

Stay tuned ... he's only got three more.

25-Feb-15
Third one had to do with counties setting antlerless permits, fourth would make bow antlerless tag weapon specific and fifth one had to do with more metrics for committees to consider on deer population trends (car kills, public perception, etc.). All carried, as did the entire permanent rule.

25-Feb-15
He needs to get a dose of reality! Time for Kaz to step down and just go away!

Take the power away from the citizens who hunt the area? Simply outrageous!

Time to give him a call and let him know he is not a friend of the deer hunters in my woods!

25-Feb-15
This Kaz guy needs his brain examined.

25-Feb-15
"...meaning if tags are available in any areas and hunters hadn't already filled them, they could try again."

Because it seems to be lost on some, I'll state the obvious. The season needs to stay as a season in the event it is ever needed in the future, as a management tool. Kaz has the ability to see beyond his nose and plan for the long term, not just for the present. The fact is, without any available tags, no deer can be shot, regardless if there is a season structure in place.

The Holiday hunt should not be permanent, it should simply be used as a management tool, when needed.

"He also is asking for no need for approval by two-thirds majority of counties in a zone for more herd control options, but rather individual counties be given the option to have an antlerless-only bow and gun season and a holiday hunt season." The DTR has put management of the herd into the hands of the people by moving it to a county level. Deer populations can vary greatly in short distances so why would anyone want a vote by an entire zone? This common sense idea keeps the management at the county level and not at the much larger zone level.

Again, I don't blame you guys who read Naz's drivel for your comments. You just need to take a moment and understand what is being done. Naz's agenda is to attack Kaz, without regard for the benefit of the deer herd or any thought process. He uses the public by slanting his articles. This latest display only reinforces either his ignorance or his agenda. Tell us Naz, which is it?

25-Feb-15
Did any of you give any thought as to why the entire Board passed these ideas?

25-Feb-15
I just watched the live webcast and didn't see Kaz's comments. I assume this is the Kaz that is affiliated with Buck Rub Archery? Why does Kaz have an interest in a late season gun hunt in the northern counties? What is in it for him ? I thought the consensus around the state was that the December hunt was part of the problem for northern Wisconsin? If it is not part of the problem, how is it part of the solution to growing a larger herd say north of 64?

25-Feb-15
Naz's drivel? I simply stated what was done today. First off, this was not an article. It was meant to inform the small crew on Bowsite what happened this morning. What's your beef Mike?

Since this is Bowsite, I knew bowhunters here would like to know how a December up north doe gun hunt that had been removed by rule was added again. Many here have stated that gun hunters already have 19 straight days up north to try to fill tags, and if they can't, maybe no more does should be shot. In fact, we've read here for years that the December doe hunt should be cancelled in northern forest units.

25-Feb-15
"...meaning if tags are available in any areas and hunters hadn't already filled them, they could try again."

Doe tags are issued by the DNR with an expected success rate. Additional days would affect the success rate. Unless the DNR knew before hand and adjusted the number of tags issued an additional season would increase the harvest to above the desired level.

25-Feb-15
I would also question if Kaz has hunting land in the affected area and because of the antlerless closing, was he not able to manage does and fawns on his personal property last year the way he wanted to? Did he in essence have less of a hunting opportunity? If so, is he putting his own management practices on private land before what is best for the vast areas of public land? Anyone have honest, informed answers to these questions?

25-Feb-15
They would know beforehand. The December hunt is back on in any counties that have antlerless tags available. This year, probably won't be a whole lot more than last year. Some years, the number could be significant. It's also four more gun days archers up north will need to wear blaze orange, and in years with enough snow, many landowners have said they won't allow snowmobiles through until all the gun hunts are done. Interesting how some of the loudest opponents of December gun hunts up north are now chiming in like this is a good thing. Good times, good times!

25-Feb-15
Wait a doggone minute here this the NRB? The sacred independent citizen’s body second to none that absolutely none of the other 49 states have that privilege? The NRB that’s completely insulated from political pressure whose decisions are based entirely on sound science? It’s clear those trashing these actions of the NRB are just a bunch bar stool biologist and deer-deniers, who want to ruin the planet by poisoning our air and water, all while allowing the deer to destroy the forest of WI.

25-Feb-15
You're entitled to your opinion Ron, but others deserve to know that the board wouldn't have voted on the amendment at all if it wasn't added by your friend and Waukesha connection, Greg Kazmierski. That's a fact! If there was a need for a late gun hunt in the future, could have been done by emergency rule or — heaven forbid — maybe have it wait a year or two to go through the normal process.

With winters and predators — as you and many others have fully stated in your past arguments to close the December antlerless gun hunt up north — it's not like the herd is going to grow out of control if this wasn't put in as an option.

25-Feb-15
"Take the power away from the citizens who hunt the area? Simply outrageous!"

Mike F, you really don't get it... The DTR gave the locals the ability to manage the local population. Jeez...

25-Feb-15
Another Koch Addict, Boot Licking ALEC, DNR-NRB hater who seeks to destroy the planet by questioning the sound science independent actions of of the NRB. HOW DARE YOU!

25-Feb-15
I wished I could have attended but parking would have been horrible with all the libs screaming at the Capitol. Naz, did you make it over to the atrium to contribute? ;)

"With winters and predators — as you and many others have fully stated in your past arguments to close the December antlerless gun hunt up north — it's not like the herd is going to grow out of control if this wasn't put in as an option. "

I thought you always stated the population will rebound fast and there are all kinds of deer in the north? The Dec t-zone was put in as a tool that could be used, if needed, so "if" or "when" herd reduction is needed, they wouldn't have to go back and revisit the rule.

25-Feb-15
So Rc, do alternate between kissing Walker and Kaz's ass? Or do you just have them both over to your place and give one a reach around, while brown nosing the other?

25-Feb-15
Naz forgets to mention the antlerless specific archery tag and how it affects youth hunts. In fact, I'll let Naz explain how youth hunts are affected in the "no doe" zones.

25-Feb-15
Imagine Naz's head spinning if the Evil One would have given EAB back. What would he have done;)

25-Feb-15
The ignorance of some is astonishing. What is worse is when it is explained to them yet they are still too ignorant to comprehend it.

No 10, Kaz does not own any hunting land anywhere.

Naz, you are completely unable to hide your agenda. Pretty convenient how you ignore listing all the Board members who voted for these measures. Ron pegged you with that one.

25-Feb-15
The way he twists things, I believe his head is spinning perpetually.

25-Feb-15

"Naz, you are completely unable to hide your agenda. Pretty convenient how you ignore listing all the Board members who voted for these measures. Ron pegged you with that one. "

Dang Ronny, even Mike knows your Howatt handle is Ronny ;).

OK, back to your attacks on Naz.

25-Feb-15
"Are some suggesting Christine Thomas and Jane Wiley made bad choices or were somehow coerced into voting for something they think is wrong??? "

The public weighed in on each of the discussed tool "options" so it was easy to vote for something the public approved.

And who is the NRB chair again? Wasn't he a reappointment from a Doyle selection? Did Preston have issues?

25-Feb-15
Such pressing questions for a reporter with an agenda. For a moment there I thought Kaz was the DNR Board.

25-Feb-15
I feel they should have gave the DNR emergency power to shut down all deer seasons in the North

25-Feb-15
Red+1. What was the recommendation for the north, no season at all, bucks only? Why not try aprs in a zone that the majority support it? Coyote bounty?

25-Feb-15
" But first I will call the NRB myself. Since the NRB is only one person that shouldn't take long. ;-) "

I heard Kaz demanded the end of global warming and stupid reality shows....This guy must have a set.

I might sit on a barstool but at least I'm not in a tinfoil hat drinking out of a SpongeBob sippy cup;)

25-Feb-15
Kaz is the president and owner of Buck Rub Outfitters.

An Archery shop in Pewaukee.

25-Feb-15
" The fact is, without any available tags, no deer can be shot, regardless if there is a season structure in place. "

Oh really? So the "no doe northern zone" dumps 10,000 antlerless via youth tag party hunting and You really believe no tags will be available? That's laughable. A dec. doe hunt in the north should show everyone the Dnr is feeling really good about 5-15 dpsm. Anyone north of hwy 29 should get used to the current herd level. Nothing is going to change that. Why a Pewaukee business owner would encourage dumping doe in the north with no dog in the hunt is a real mystery. I feel really bad for the guys in the north and thank god I am in a 96% private land county. My neighbors and I control dpsm not the Dnr or a archery shop owner in Pewuakee.

25-Feb-15
Not sure where the resident reporter went so I'll fill in. Each and every amendment proposed by Kaz was passed unanimously. He must be on the right track to have the entire Board support each and every one of his ideas, 100%.

But wait, I'm sure it'll be in the next issue of WON.

25-Feb-15
Mike, one of the many resident hunters is back from a two-hour coyote hunt (success), followed by a two-hour DI practice (moderate success, with a new record set in after-school food eaten by seven sixth graders), followed by supper (limited out), a 90-minute basketball skills program from grades 3-6 at the high school, then showers, family time and tucking in the kids.

Ron, would love to show where you hopped on the bandwagon of "cancel the December gun hunt" but unfortunately, each time you've been banned here all your posts go with it. No inventing, and you're not fooling anyone with your alternate handle.

As far as the rest of the board, I said all amendments passed unanimously. However, the fact is there would be no December antlerless hunt up north had Kaz not put it in as an amendment.

I understand about tools in the toolbox and how fast deer herds can rebound with mild winters. That's how I feel, but I know many here disagree and won't like the amendment and would want to know how it came about. That's it. No head spinning, just the truth. Those who tell the truth don't have to invent stories.

"The public weighed in on each of the discussed tool "options" so it was easy to vote for something the public approved."

Wrong. The public did not approve a December antlerless hunt up north. Questions were for the southern and central farmland.

25-Feb-15
"Oh really? So the "no doe northern zone" dumps 10,000 antlerless via youth tag party hunting and You really believe no tags will be available?"

Nov, if you know of anyone party hunting during a youth hunt you should be reporting it to a warden. Did you? If not, put a cork in it.

Why are you such a hater of youths and the chance to get them involved in hunting? Are you simply saving it all for yourself?

And of course, even a dolt like you understood my comment was aimed at doe tags given out to the public and not to youth tags.

Maybe you need to put your Levi's back on and watch a couple more softball games. With the correct therapy, there might be help for you.

25-Feb-15
If the point was to keep the late season as a tool to control the deer population if ever needed then why outlaw EAB Rather than just shelf it?

25-Feb-15
CaptMike, If you really believe that the youth tags weren't abused in the north last year. You are truly naive.

25-Feb-15
" Nov, if you know of anyone party hunting during a youth hunt you should be reporting it to a warden. Did you? If not, put a cork in it.

Why are you such a hater of youths and the chance to get them involved in hunting? Are you simply saving it all for yourself? "

Tenelle, Do you really think the 10,000 doe taken in the north was during the youth hunt? They were taken by Uncle Mike, legally party hunting. Hater of Youths? I have hosted 7 youths taking their first buck in hours. Saving it all for me? I passed 87 bucks in the gun season and never pulled the trigger. Get a life and tie up a bunch of flash flies and shine them flashers for your clients.You are consistently abrasive. Save it for your clients who hold a reel like scooter.

25-Feb-15
+1 glunker, imagine if Jim Doyle was on the NRB and he put this amendment in. The same guys defending Kaz would be all over him.

26-Feb-15
Jim Doyle is not on the Board, neither is Walker.

26-Feb-15
If walker neuters the nrb its only 4 years from a wolf huggin madison lib has unabated full power of the dnr. The cc, nrb, and cdac become irrlevant overnite. If walker defangs the nrb he will never win another statewide election. Aldo leopold is rolling in his grave. So we want a marquette poli sci dropout to be all knowing of wisconsin nat resources? Think big picture not short term. Scooter was elected 3 times on the "sportsmen vote" he will be defeated on the same sportsmen vote. He holds a fishing reel like most hold sushi chopsticks.

26-Feb-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
'If walker neuters the nrb its only 4 years from a wolf huggin madison lib has unabated full power of the dnr. The cc, nrb, and cdac become irrlevant overnite. If walker defangs the nrb he will never win another statewide election. Aldo leopold is rolling in his grave. So we want a marquette poli sci dropout to be all knowing of wisconsin nat resources? Think big picture not short term. Scooter was elected 3 times on the "sportsmen vote" he will be defeated on the same sportsmen vote. He holds a fishing reel like most hold sushi chopsticks.'

26-Feb-15
How many deer has walker registered? My guess is its between -1 and 1. Second thought, how many deer has cathy stepp registered? My guess is both combined wont equal 2. Does anyone care? So these 2 rubes have the wildlife and enviorment of wisconsin in their nube hands? Can kathy or scootet id a red oak from a white oak? Poor analogy as rc/howatt couldnt either. Rc needs to give scooter late fall frost seeding of corn lessons. Sadly, scooters 119 matquiff dropout credits trumps the diy world of narrcissistic diareha.

26-Feb-15
Watching this dog and pony show again. None of these idiots, should ever quit their day jobs to become public speakers!

26-Feb-15
Tom Huge, can't get his PPT together properly for a professional presentation and yet he is overseeing our deer management program. That makes me feel better!

26-Feb-15
Mr. Huge indicated in response to a question about the response at the county level that they didn't break their data down to the county level because the response to the survey questions wasn't reliable enough. There was not enough responses at the county level!

Wasn't that the point of Kroll's recommendation to restructure the management zones? So that we could put herd management decisions in the hands of hunters at the county level. Obviously that was a gem of a recommendation. Mr. Kroll, a little advice, it will never work because the modern hunter by nature is too lazy to participate! They want the greatest satisfaction with the least effort. i.e. crossbows, ATV's, heated shooting houses, high tech compound bows, releases, bait piles, food plots…All you need to do is look at most hunting methods and tools to figure that one out.

26-Feb-15
Where can I get one of those sponge bob sippy cups??

You guys are missing the really really big picture. :) It's obvious we need to have tags in the north. To help ensure deer numbers are kept at a bare minimum. This will help precipitate the increased expansion of the wolf population across the state. Allowing for herd control in southern private lands. Where the DNR has little control on the herd. :) :)

26-Feb-15
Spot on!! Glad we sold camp, now only head north for musky! Maybe you should invite Kazmerski up for a hunt. When he gets there, muzzle him and tie to tree at ground level after soaking in deer and beaver scent. After a 48 hour vigil, if the wolves don't eat him first, he'll at least know how ridiculous it is to have introduced another late season doe hunt in the northwoods.

26-Feb-15
"Tenelle, Do you really think the 10,000 doe taken in the north was during the youth hunt? They were taken by Uncle Mike, legally party hunting. "

Spot on. Oh how some, with land to the south (Mike) are so naive and try to speak for those to the north. No does needs to mean NO DOES period. Nothing against the youth, but they don't need to be coddled and given exceptions to areas where no exceptions should be allowed at all.

+1 FullDraw2015. I agree that a guy who owns a crappy archery store in Pewaukee should not be recommending anything in regard to the north.

26-Feb-15
This is a dumb idea Kaz ! Do you really know the shape of the deer herd? I hunt up here I get a kick out of people 300 miles away think they know whats happening in our North woods Stick to selling your product not trying to sell the deer herd.

26-Feb-15
Ahh, the ignorance overflows this morning. You guys give meaning to the term "bubba." Fortunately your ignorance is confined to Internet babble while the adults take care of business.

26-Feb-15
What is so difficult to grasp? I'll simplify it for you.

No tags, no Dec T-zone. Population become where a county needs reduction, Dec T-zone available.

The deer management plan needed to include the future, not just next deer season otherwise, you would have to rewrite the plan.

The dumb idea would be to ignore the possibility of needing herd reduction tools.

Yes, Glunker.... the north would be much better off with EAB (rolling eyes)

26-Feb-15
Wait a minute CaptainMike, anyone can throw out insults! Give those in the north a solution to the problems they are seeing I don't see a solution in any of your words. Put your money where your mouth is or maybe discuss the matter instead of throwing out insults.

26-Feb-15
"Give those in the north a solution to the problems they are seeing"

Grab a gun and start shooting coyotes, allow people to bear hunt on your land, cut forests properly and when antlerless tags are available, don't use them.

Sorry, nobody can help the weather and the wolf issue is still a problem.

It is my understanding the 10K doe taken in the north was addressed and corrected.

26-Feb-15
Geitz, good that is at least constructive but, you are not Mike. Was the 10 K doe corrected? Was a defibrillator used to revive them?

26-Feb-15
"Ahh, the ignorance overflows this morning. You guys give meaning to the term "bubba." Fortunately your ignorance is confined to Internet babble while the adults take care of business. "

What ignorance are you speaking to Mike? Is it your's in thinking that group hunting for does with youth's tags did not happen in the north where there were no antlerless tags? You seem stuck on the word "ignorant". I really think you just learned it and promised to use it in sentences daily. You are from the south and really have no clue as to what is occuring in the north. You seem ignorant to it in fact. November was 100% correct and you try to turn his comment into an "anti-youth" rant. Please use a mirror once in awhile. Try to learn a new word here and there too.

26-Feb-15
The guy from the WCC is at the microphone talking about how his brother bought his two boys archery tags for the extra doe tag even though they didn't bow hunt. Really? The guy has the nerve to stand there while Cathy Stepp can heard in the background laughing like a moron! What is funny about abusing the system? Cathy get up, Cathy, get up off your knees, Cathy get up off your knees the camera is on!

26-Feb-15
"Was a defibrillator used to revive them?"..."Cathy get up, Cathy, get up off your knees, Cathy get up off your knees the camera is on!" 10, is this your idea of discussion? Throwing stones from glass houses is another thing prevalent on this thread.

Happy, why does the word "ignorance' bother you? Hitting close to home? There certainly is a lot of it showing up on this thread. Anyone interested in understanding need only take a little bit of time to understand what is going on, instead of writing words before they understand. Sorry, but that is a classic definition of ignorance.

There, I'll be away for the weekend so I got my daily use of the word in ahead of time.

26-Feb-15
And they have already exhibited an inability to comprehend, something that seems to accompany ignorance.

26-Feb-15
Plain and simple Kaz made the December antlerless permanently part of the standard deer hunt framework. The guy in the red tie pushed him on it and like everyone else in the room Kaz talked out of one side of his mouth and then the other. These are the people deciding the fate of our deer hunting. NOT ONE OF THEM CAN GIVE A LOOK IN YOUR EYE, STRAIGHT FORWARD, ANSWER. How do you people even give these educated idiots the time of day? There are DEMOCRATS and REPUBLICANS in the room and not one of them are worth the air they breath. They all spend more time hemming and hawing then actually addressing issues.

RC, Capt. you guys are right the Stepp comment is inappropriate but, the more I watch this, the more pissed I get. Her idiotic laughter sent me over the top. I'm glad I watched though. Never saw anything like this before. None of these people should be making decisions for anyone or anything.

I'm just calling it what it is. Stepp is exactly what I thought she was, she is nothing more than a figurehead, YES person! I've been watching each of the presenters, not just KAZ, and Stepp has added absolutely nothing to the discussion. Talk about wasted taxpayer dollars. In that entire room, the left hand does not have a clue what the right hand is doing. They were amending amendments that were previously voted down. WHAT? Enough to make your head spin.

Interesting and educational! Every kid in school should have to watch this crap as a demerit! It really illustrates just how broken politics is in this country. I would not give you penny for any of them.

26-Feb-15
The Board recognizes Herm Hupplemeier: I want to thank the board, my mother, my father, my dog, all of the albino deer in Iowa County, the bucks in Buffalo County and all of the doe north of 64. In introducing this resolution to resolution 10-2, as it pertains to 10-23 A of section 3 B of article 77 M under statutory limitations pertaining to hunting next to the garbage dump, while posted in a non-movable object under state hunting regulation whereas section amendment 13 B to allow antlerless hunting in the zone bordered by Clifford's outhouse, seeking the approval for the proposal to have a non binding 4 day antlerless youth hunt for young adults of parents who have been incarcerated for illegal baiting while…WTF! They are only deer for Christ sake.

Try this: We want to put the 4 day antlerless deer hunt back into the 2015 deer hunting season. All in favor say Hell Yeah! All opposed say Hell No!

26-Feb-15
"RC, Capt. you guys are right the Stepp comment is inappropriate but, the more I watch this, the more pissed I get." Insert the word "read" for "watch" and you know how I feel.

Not sure what part of that Dec antlerless you cannot understand but if there are no permits then there is no hunt, regardless if there is a season framework or not. This will be addressed on the county level. I suppose I don't expect you to get it this time as we have said the same things before but that is what it is. No permit, no hunting.

Lastly, you seem to be passionate about this. Why don't you get involved? You will soon see there is no easy answer and much political maneuvering that must be done. Seems like some here like to bash Kaz but he is involved only because he cares about it. The difference is, he has followed through, spending countless hours and lost time tending to his business. Call that whatever you may but how many of the rest of us are willing to let our livelihoods suffer to pursue something like this?

26-Feb-15
"Happy, why does the word "ignorance' bother you?"

Doesn't bother me at all Captain. I just think you should understand what it means before you use it incessantly and inappropriately (i.e. November’s post). You are welcome for the edification.

10, you are correct on Stepp being a figurehead and a "YES" person.

26-Feb-15
10, you just supplied a perfect example of the politics involved.

26-Feb-15
November's posts are a perfect example of ignorance. From the made-up words to the incorrect spelling to the lack of capitalization and punctuation, it is a perfect example of someone ignorant to grammar, spelling and punctuation.

26-Feb-15
"10, you are correct on Stepp being a figurehead and a "YES" person"

Happy, can you name any recent DNR Secretaries who were not? Earl, Hassett, Meyer? At least Ms. Stepp defers to those who have more knowledge.

As one last reminder on this issue, the entire Board voted for each of the amendments passed. ENTIRE, meaning ALL OF THEM. Why no criticism for any of them? The answer is simple. Most of you do not even know the people who make up the Board or their affiliations. You are riding a Naz joy-wagon without a clue as to where it is going.

26-Feb-15
"it is a perfect example of someone ignorant to grammar, spelling and punctuation. "

Good try Mike, but it was his content/message you bashed not his cryptic lingo. No need to slant now.

"At least Ms. Stepp defers to those who have more knowledge. "

She has to defer because she lacks the knowledge to do her job at all. She is a complete "yes" woman, no better than the others in that position before her. Because the others were incompetent too does not make the statement any less valid.

As for the Naz joy-wagon - nope, not me. I am not a follower of anyone here. I just call 'em as I see 'em regardless of political party, race, creed, gender. Not a blind follower or hater like a couple of you.

26-Feb-15
CaptMike-Exactly, and so are all of these politicians figureheads! They all answer to the dollar that feeds their lust for power. You are wrong about criticizing both sides. I was critical of everyone in that room.

I do hope Ms. Stepp didn't injure herself when she fell to her knees laughing. Any other interpretation is a figment of your own imagination. LOL

Capt. I got that about no permits, no hunt. Didn't miss that because it is irrelevant. However, he kept saying it was part of the original structure. That is totally false. Kaz kept saying hunters want the original structure. The Dec. deer hunt was not part of the original structure. The December hunt was not introduced until late 80's or early 90's. Same as the muzzleloader hunt. If his intent is to return to the original structure, then we need to go back to 9 day gun deer season only, Spet. 15 to Dec. 31 archery season and either party permits or hunter's choice. To achieve original structure, every other hunt has to be eliminated. If he is not willing to do that, he is picking his battles, whatever the reason may be.

26-Feb-15
Capt. I attended my county meeting at Riveredge and expressed my views. I have to tell you though, I would not be able to sit in that room where this live meeting took place. I could not stand to listen to those people and the Warden sitting behind the Board would likely escort me out. Being honest.

26-Feb-15
CaptMike, You could also be a perfect example of ignorance. You talk of no foul play with youth doe tags up north. You are either ignorant, or don't want to admit the system is very flawed.

26-Feb-15
RC-hahahaha

26-Feb-15
Rut, I admit I am ignorant about the abuse of youth tags. I am ignorant because I have not witnessed it or heard about it from LE. If this is as rampant as some claim, has LE been notified? Have they investigated it. I am willing to learn about this.

26-Feb-15
"We finally found something he (November) cant buy......... Smarts. LOL;-)"

I find November to be one of the smartest people (extremely well rounded and well versed) here although the top 3 in self-proclaimed-know-it-all smarts and self-pats-on-the-back will be offended by that. I'm thinking too that with his self-worth, he is quite the businessman as well. Seems some are envious and jealous of his capabilities to live life above their own means. Envy is not a good thing to carry along with you...

26-Feb-15
Boy, I see I've missed a lot today. Will start by saying missed a lot of NRB yesterday so watched the rest of what I was interested in today and recommend anyone with questions on the deer rules, white/albino deer and the history of citizen involvement in environmental decision making and conservation to check the NRB page and the archived webcast.

That said, Mike still doesn't get it. Yes, the entire board often unanimously passes amendments. That's not the point. The point is this amendment would not have been voted on had Kaz not injected it in there. I get that Doyle, Walker etc. were never on the NRB. My point is how many of you opposed to all things Doyle and supportive of all things Gov. Walker would have jumped all over any "lib" who proposed a December gun antlerless hunt in the "decimated" north? Wait, I'll answer that: ALL OF YOU, and you know it. Your blind support of Kaz is simply because Naz is pointing out who brought the amendment into play.

As for Sec. Stepp, 10, I have to disagree with you as she's been nothing but receptive to ideas on both the fish and hunt end in our county and region, yet isn't afraid to play the devil's advocate and show how things aren't always as easy and "common sense" as we think they may be. I have to say I think she has helped the DNR immensely from a PR standpoint in being a smiling face and willing listener, and much more. She has shot at least two deer, maybe three, and seems to really enjoy hunting, unlike some who might just do it for the show.

Finally, I listened intently for Kaz to point out how wrong using "sunset" with the crossbow season was, but never heard a peep. As a matter of fact, the DNR Powerpoint presentation again showed the word "sunset" and Tom Hauge stated around the 57-minute mark that there would no longer be a sunset for implementing the crossbow season. Obviously, there can still be changes made beginning in 2016. I get that. But the point is being attacked for calling a sunset a sunset .... that's just wrong. On the other hand, I'm used to it with a few of you guys! Have a great day, on to school.

26-Feb-15
"Blind worshiper me thinks preacher is... LOL. "

Nah, just calls 'em as I see 'em. Me thinks you are very envious/jealous of November's net worth and always seem to bash him for being so successful in life while being able to articulate without belitting. He definitely has you on those multiple accounts Ronny. I think you can learn a thing or two from him.

Naz, how many times did Stepp hunt and how many deer did she shoot prior to being appointed in her current position? She is as much for show as the others. She is a decent spokesperson but there is no doubt she is given her direction to take.

26-Feb-15
10, one more thing, though I can't be sure, I'm guessing the loud laughter you heard was Christine Thomas. Loud laugh, yes, but I admire her and all she's done for WI hunting, esp. the Becoming an Outdoors-Woman program and then Beyond BOW. Sec. Stepp is there mainly to observe, comment as needed, etc. She's not on the 7-member board, but takes it all in and comments as needed.

26-Feb-15

26-Feb-15

26-Feb-15
It's called Destination Imagination. You'd be good at it (not as a manager — as a participant, with that vivid imagination).

26-Feb-15
Naz, show me where, in the original legislation, there is the word sunset. You cannot because it is not there.

26-Feb-15
sunset provision

noun

a stipulation that an agency or program be disbanded or terminated at the end of a fixed period unless it is formally renewed.

Though it is still designed to run concurrently with the bow deer season two years, the change appears in the wording where NRB green sheet says "the rule has been modified so there is no sunset after the 2015 season." Most believed this would be a two-year "trial" and then modified as needed. The green sheet, right or wrong, makes it appear as this: if there's no negative impact after the 2014 season, no need for further rule-making, and it'll continue as is.

After reading the meaning of a sunset provision above and considering that since "sunset" was the word used in the NRB green sheet, the word used in the NRB Powerpoint and the word spoken out loud at the meeting yesterday, you're arguing semantics. I understand your point about the original rule wording. I hope you can understand mine reporting it just as it was called in NRB meeting materials.

26-Feb-15
CaptMike, LE is not going to be proactive on the problem up north. They have been turning a blind eye to people abusing group hunting in the rest of the state for years. The DNR has already proved that the north is low priority.

27-Feb-15
Naz, I do understand as that was a mistake by the department. That being said, while some may have thought it was a trial period, it was never intended as such. That was my contention. The only thing that the two year period specified was that the seasons would run concurrently for the first two years. That it was reported other than that has always been a problem for me. For people to properly understand an issue, it must be properly and accurately presented to them. Peace, I am done trying to explain it.

27-Feb-15
Rut, if LE ignores it, how can you expect anyone else to take it seriously?

27-Feb-15
Hey guys I just found out I've been certified by the governor as an ISIS terrorist. Another experience to put on my resume! I wonder if I can get a Masters through the UW system? Of course though, it could mean I would have to enroll at Madison. Ahhh, I think I'll skip it and just stay with the vulgar, civil disobedient tag. Or, is it smart-ass liberal? It is one of those two. Headed out the door to ice fish. Hold down the ISIS fort while I'm gone. I have to stop, I'm cracking myself up. Rip Lip!

27-Feb-15
As to the original post, December T-zone hunts were never removed. Last year, under the emergency rule, they removed them because of the winter severity. It was part of the standard season framework( 9 day gun, muzzy and Dec antlerless hunt).

You have to remember, in order for this to be a viable management program to last many years(not just next year), there would have to be some sort of herd control tool if populations would deem it necessary. If this was not done, not only would this need to be revisited, it would not be socially and biologically sound management and would leave the opportunity of politicians meddling in the future. I.e. if/when a different party takes control(i.e. Doyle-ish) and tides turn against the hunting community.

IMO, if Kaz, as a bow hunter, wanted it his way the season would probably look like this. Bow season remains the same, 9 day gun season, same muzzy...crossbows used only as a lessor weapon. No group bagging, no special antlerless hunts, and antler restrictions. He'd probably push each county to provide necessary documentation to prove a "reduction" stance from CDAC and he would rally every hunter he could too support an increase. Again, in my opinion.

There was no way he could do this as he knew he would not have the current support of the NRB but also, the management plan would be changed as soon as the political party changed in WI.

So he kept the December T-zone as part of the standard season framework to keep it simple for hunters and CDACs. Remember, no antlerless tags= no one hunting. If there was a limited amount of tags and they are filled= no one hunting. Thinking about it, after over two weeks of hunting pressure with gun powder, it is probably a nice break for the deer from the hunting pressure. The Dec T-zone harvests were never that high of harvest anyway.

Also, the rule changes antlerless tags to be weapon specific. Last year, antlerless tags were not. This played a role in the youth tags which were statewide and a youth could shoot two with a gun, even in the north.

Pardon me if I incorrectly state the rule exactly(I will verify and let you know) but I believe the rule either eliminates group bagging for the youth tag or gives the Dept the ability to remove it. I also believe it give the DNR or CDAC the ability to remove the youth antlerless tag if the population is too low and no antlerless tags are issued. Now, jump on my back(Naz) if I'm incorrect in any portion of the above, it was what I got out of a conversation last night. There was a more pressing issue of that discussion which I was preoccupied on so I may have a small memory lapse.

"Sunset" is just a word and probably not the best in this situation. What needed to be addressed by the NRB and DNR is that there was no mention of a crossbow season managed by administrative rule after 2015. This needed to be acknowledged or else it could be construed as there was no crossbow season in 2016.

Either way, "sunset" as used by the Dept and posted by Naz, is really no big deal. The only issue I have with it is that it does confuse some people into thinking that after the "sunset" it removes the separate license/season. As Mike stated, the "sunset" is only the time frame which the seasons must run concurrent (plus 2 years to change because of act 21).

27-Feb-15
No jumping at all, a reasonable explanation. I would think you might agree that the timing for adding this back for the north was poor, and unnecessary at this point. Look how many folks here in the past decade, year after year, have asked that the hunt be stopped by emergency order. Just another example that it's not wanted up there, and there are more than enough days of bow/gun (and now crossbow) hunting for hunters to try to fill tags. Remember the snowmobile lobby and landowner trail closures? Same thing there. Again, I don't have a problem with it. I don't hunt up there any more. But it sounds like most folks don't like it and don't think it's needed. Since those calls for emergency closure (long before it actually happened in the emergency rule), predator populations have expanded, we've had some severe winters and crossbows have been added. I get that no tags will be available in buck-only units and I agree that eliminating the youth ability to fill tags, and end group hunting on those, will be a plus in allowing herds to bounce back.

27-Feb-15
Based on no tags being issued, it basically is closed under an "emergency rule". Consider it a 4 day vacation for bucks. You hit the point on snowmobile lobby and this hunt. If you scrap it now, you will need to negotiate it again to get it back as it was a compromise.

The same people would be complaining if we reverted back to managing under Deer 2000. SAK estimates would state the deer are there, antlerless tags would be issued and you would have a Dec T-zone.

I think some people have a short memory.

27-Feb-15

Naz 's Link
At the NRB Wednesday, Tom Hauge showed graphic detailing the number of deer taken on youth antlerless tags up north in buck-only units the past four years.

While the numbers have climbed, so has the area. In other words, the kill was still very small considering the total acreage.

For example, the graphic showed that in 2014 youths age 10 to 17 tagged 3,277 antlerless deer in units with no antlerless quotas. That was over about 13,000 square miles, or about one doe/fawn killed every four square miles (2,500+ acres).

That said, I agree buck-only should mean just that, and sounds like it will in the future (perhaps with exception of disabled hunters and active military).

27-Feb-15

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
This is what the people in the north want. You can't increase tags and add hunts and grow the herd. Could care less what Kaz wants. Through thick and thin I live and hunt here. He doesn't!

27-Feb-15
Drop time, you do understand that the map you posted, with the counties as DMU's and the people being able to say what they want on a county level is what Kaz wants.

27-Feb-15
That's already happened. Who in the North wants December antlerless hunts or October hunts for that matter?

27-Feb-15
With predation where it sits now and wolf hunts canned for now, I really don't see a T-zone hunt ever being needed in the north again. Increased doe tags for the regular seasons could be used if it ever came to that which would be a minor miracle given the current state of affairs.

What is needed now is not allowing youths to use their doe tags in counties where does cannot be shot. No does should mean no does for everyone until the herd rebounds.

27-Feb-15
Its going to take so long for that herd to rebound I would not even worry about it......

Geitz - very good explanation, thanks

27-Feb-15
Please read my post, Droptine. I think I explained it in detail.

And I do hunt there.... In the big green area of Marinette. The green area of the "northern forest" which did have antlerless tags in 2014. Am I happy about it, No but absolutely no one in our group and the surrounding landowners purchased or used antlerless tags in 2014.

Again, I'll make it real simple. There was no added hunts. There is no hunt if there is no tags. You must think about what could be in 5 years and have tools available.

But then again, maybe you would like to revert back to Deer 2000 and the DNR issuing 2000 tags in addition to the free one on your archery tag based on a SAK number. Don't forget, the T-zone would still be there.

I just heard the DNR is opening a state-wide Elk hunt Sept 1st. The DNR has a harvest quota of 0, has issued 0 tags but everyone who has a tag can hunt.

This really isn't difficult to grasp.

27-Feb-15
It sounds like the tools are now in place to allow the counties to better manage the herd on a more local level than ever before.

27-Feb-15
"I just heard the DNR is opening a state-wide Elk hunt Sept 1st. The DNR has a harvest quota of 0, has issued 0 tags but everyone who has a tag can hunt. "

That means that Elk will be shot by the Indians :). But then again, they don't need a season to do whatever they want. Yes Geitz, I know you were joking. Good explanation above BTW. I just don't see a T-zone ever being needed in the north in my life time again. It can sit there idly to be drawn from if ever needed. Not a bad strategy.

27-Feb-15
Its never going to happen, but I had a suggestion, that the Wilderness area, of the USFS in Florence Co, be a primitive hunting season........

that would mean, stick bows, and during gun season, weapons would have to have exposed primers......

thought it would be cool, and fit the environment

wish we had a primitive season, thought it would be cool,,,,,,,,,,

27-Feb-15
Razor that would be great but you are right it wont happen unfortunately.

27-Feb-15
Unfortunately, everything is trending toward easier, more instant gratification. I doubt we'd ever see that type of hunt, although I'd be in favor of it.

27-Feb-15
I for one want just a simple return to a regular archery season and traditional 9 day gun season with hunter's choice. I think the herd has been over marketed! I would be happy to have to choose between taking a deer with either a bow or a gun and allowed to take only one deer per year. Can eat only so much chicken, venison, turkey…in a year. My first choice would be harvesting with a bow and using the gun season as an opportunity to fill a tag if needed.

27-Feb-15
A primitive only area would be sweet. But it will never happen. Not unless a politician figures out a way to gain from it.

27-Feb-15
I've sat on the sidelines on this thread but tonight I counted thirty deer in some corn stubble just east of Highway 57 across from Southern Door High School. I'm going to toss this out for some feedback from someone that is perhaps more intimate with the possibilities (Geitz, Naz, CaptMike).

If - hypothetically-speaking - a county wanted to bring back an October antlerless gun hunt for one or only a few years as a herd control measure for locations where deer populations are approaching 40 DPSM would that scenario be completely off the table?

On the surface it would appear to require legislative approval.

28-Feb-15
Legislative change, yes, except for what is already out there: youth and disabled. Youth hunt can take a sizable number of "surplus" if it's there, and if landowners want them trimmed. It's early enough in the month so as not to mess the pre-rut activity like the old late October hunt did.

28-Feb-15
There is already 19 days of gun hunting. If there is a no hunting area around then there will always be deer there. Our neighbor has 300 acres and doesn't let anyone hunt. It is the sanctuary of the valley which we appreciate. The deer spread out in the spring and everyone sees a fair amount of deer. There is no need for extra hunts. Plenty of days already to kill a deer.

28-Feb-15
RJN +1

28-Feb-15
"I've sat on the sidelines on this thread but tonight I counted thirty deer in some corn stubble just east of Highway 57 across from Southern Door High School."

Turkey....I've said it several times, wintering hotspots will always occur. I doubt this is a indications of the entire area. There is no Oct T-zone unless there is an action by the legislature. But Oct T-zone became a worthless effort.

If there is too many deer on your land, the best way to handle the situation is to shoot more deer. If you do not have enough tags, then allow others to shoot. I've seen whitetails which have been pounded hard stay away from an area which they have been blasted. If you are concerned about your trees, keep on blasting. Otherwise(and sorry), don't complain. The answer is right there...either you do not want deer or you do. But you cannot complain if you chose not to shoot.

28-Feb-15
Wintering areas is relative in farm country. You indeed might see 20-40 on one field (a few have 50+ here), but right now very common to see 5-10 and even 10-20 field after field, block after block, the last half-hour of daylight this time of year on anything ag (esp. winter wheat, hay, corn/bean stubble). Very, very few spots devoid of deer. It's not like they're coming from miles around for a single field. Take a drive up ice fishing sometime and that last half hour of light (when you should be getting ready for the walleyes to hit!), you will be absolutely floored how many deer you see in southern Door County. Yet some guys will still complain come the gun hunt there aren't many deer.

01-Mar-15
"The best way to handle the situation is to shoot more deer."

We're trying - killed 22 in the last five years on our little patch of 80 acres. So, I'm not complaining about lack of opportunity.

Thanks for clarifying about the legislature. I suspected as much.

Naz is correct about the herds. I had eight come traipsing through the tall grass behind the house yesterday afternoon and we've counted as many as 20-30 in the corn stubble next door.

2015 = Brown is down.

• Sitka Gear