RUGER1022 05-Mar-15
brewcrewmike 05-Mar-15
TheLama 05-Mar-15
happygolucky 05-Mar-15
razorhead 05-Mar-15
Drop Tine 06-Mar-15
razorhead 06-Mar-15
26-Feb-15
I'm experiencing something rather unusual with my sights on my bow. I've got a 4-pin sight (20, 25, 30, and 40 yards). I don't feel completely comfortable with my 40 pin yet so I just limit my shots to under 30 yards. I do a lot of shooting at 20-25 yards because I typically hunt pretty thick cover and that's about the longest shot opportunity I'm going to get anyway.

Anyway, here's where my "problem" is I shoot paper targets at 20-yards and I'm dead on. I can get real tight groups in or just around the bulls eye. Recently, I've been shooting a bit more video archery and I've noticed that my shots seem to be coming in a tad high. I'm typically still in the lungs but I'm just above the heart on most shots. I don't know if the field points I use are slightly heavier that the tips they provide for video archery. I'd rather not mess around with my sights every time I switch between paper targets and video archery.

I'd like to also see how my Rage broad heads impact my arrow flight whether it's closer to the shots made by my field points or the video archery tips. Maybe I'm being a little too particular on my shots and trying to be "perfect" every time?

26-Feb-15
The video archery blunt tips are probably lighter. If you shoot video often you could ask if you can use your own blunt tips and purchase them to match the grain of your field tips.

26-Feb-15
I would say I'm shooting about 1-2 inches high at 20 yards with video archery. I do not know what the weight of my field points are.

26-Feb-15
If you want to be "perfect" every time you should definitely know how much your points weigh.... and how much your practice arrows weigh, and they should match your hunting arrow weight and broadhead weight. If you shoot 100gr broadheads it doesn't make sense to practice with 125gr points!

26-Feb-15
My arrows that I use for practice and the arrows that I shoot in the field are identical. Next time I go shoot video archery I'll ask what the video archery tips are compared to what my field point tips are.

26-Feb-15
You could get 2 sights and change them. It is only 2 screws...takes 30 seconds. The video one all you need is a single pin.

26-Feb-15
First of all but a small digital scale so you can weigh your arrows, heads etc... Secondly, the shop blunts would have to be a LOT lighter to make a 2" difference. I can shoot 25 grain differences in tip weight and see almost zero difference, especially under 40 yards.

26-Feb-15
RC I got everything set up from a local archery shop. They matched up my field points and broad heads. When I bought my current set up I put all my trust in them. This was my second season bow hunting so I'm not on the up and up on everything which is why I try to read a lot of what's listed on this forum and reading stuff on the internet.

I just wish I had found this before I bought my current set up so I would have had a better understanding on everything that I would need, what's good, what's not, etc. Ex. In the future I think I will abandon my 4-pin sight for a 1-pin.

26-Feb-15
I bought a new bow this season and replaced my G5 optix 5pin with an HHA single pin, since I was spending money I figured why not. Best. Decision. Ever. wish I would of done it sooner.

It's nice to have a good shop you can trust with your archery tackle!

26-Feb-15
brewcrewmike - when I shot video archery the heads I was offered were 100 and 125 grain. Also, the video was set up for 20 yards. Make sure you have the same weight heads for video as your hunting heads and make sure the distances are the same.

03-Mar-15
Does anyone have the I Q bow site and how do you like it?

04-Mar-15
I have the IQ 4 pin. It is great. I never realized before how easy it it is to torque your bow when shooting from elevated (not bending at the hips) or when shoot to the side. I am set at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.

04-Mar-15
the range might only be 18 -19 yards I have seen this at alot of ranges

04-Mar-15
Your bow needs more tuning,25 grains will only make about 4 fps difference in speed, not anywhere near enough to make much difference at 20 yards.

05-Mar-15
Brew , " In the future I think i'll change my 4 pin site for a single pin " . Heck no !!!

You said your concerned about your site being a " tad " off at 20 yards . A tad in my book is about an inch . If you go out west this year for Elk , you should be prepared to shoot at 45 degree angles up or down and out to 50 yards . A sinle pin cannot and will not shoot within a tad or 2 at all the possible senarios just given .

Yes there are a few guys on this site that can master a single pin bow at all angles and distances . They shoot a ton and their bow iis an extension of their arm .

stick with 4 pins set at 20 30 40 50 . and pratice out to 60 . If your only a tag off at various ranges your doing just fine .

05-Mar-15
I think I'm taking my rifle over my bow for my hunt out west. In a week or so I'm going to try and stop by my archery shop and try to get answers to some of the questions people posted to me.

I've only really been bow hunting for two seasons and haven't had a deer within bow range. I only got to bow hunt for about 3-5 total days this season with the birth of my son. I want to get a few whitetails on the ground before I try to get an elk with a bow.

05-Mar-15
On the video sometimes it just depends on when the sensor picks up the tip. I know there a a few times every time I shoot video league that it is not marking me where I hit. For me I am not sure I could pick up a 2 inch difference on video as my eyes are not that good.

On how many pins I am playing with both this year, got a 5 pin Tommy Hogg on my Hoyt and a Montana black gold single pin on my Creed XS.

For just shoot 20 yards the single is pretty sweet but if you have to make a shot and no time to adjust (like out west) it could be an issue.

05-Mar-15
I've been shooting a single pin for years now and upgraded to an HHA Optimizer Ultra this past season. I went with the .010 pin diameter and really like smaller diameter pin, especially at longer distances.

05-Mar-15
brewcrew - so you have not shot a deer yet, so what, go bow hunt an elk........ I shot 5 bears in Canada, before I ever hunted for whitetails

06-Mar-15
With my bow and arrow set up with my HHA without moving the dot from 23 yards I'm good from 10-30 yards and with my witness mark on the fiber support I'm good to 40 with that and don't have to move a pin. It's what works for me and have been doing it this way for years.

I practice out to 50 but in the real world hold my shots on wildlife under 30 yards. When I go west this fall I might stretch that to 40 if the circumstance presents itself with a good shot opportunity.

06-Mar-15
when I shot mostly compound, I had a HHA site, single pin. although a slider, I had it zeroed at 30 yards, and was good with that from 0 to 40.

bow shot fast enough, and had no problem knowing where to hold that pin, killed 2 elk with that and several deer,,,,,,

what I do not like about the hha is it is a poor fit, for quiver use. I am a guy who always wants that quiver on the bow..... want my ammo close,,,,,,,

so I sold that hha and put a fuse on, 3 pin system.....

like ruger said though, if your going to shoot single pin and do so at serious distance and angles, you have to master it, thru practice....

if your a poor judge of distance, or can not shoot both eyes open, if you do not have that "feel", than get fixed pins.......

when your out west, your breathing harder, your working harder, the wind is usually a factor, terrain can fool you, the back drops, can throw you off, remember, your not shooting off some stand in the woods,,,,,,,,

try it both, but all above here is good advice

• Sitka Gear