cottonwood 08-Dec-15
hogthief 09-Dec-15
cottonwood 18-Dec-15
bgriff 10-Jan-16
tico 13-Jan-16
hogthief 13-Jan-16
Griff 14-Jan-16
26-Feb-15
The Missouri Dept. of Conservation is proposing numerous regulation changes for the 2015-16 deer season. You can see the proposed changes here: http://mdc.mo.gov/about-us/public-notices/comment-deer-management

This link also tells where MDC will hold public meetings around the state to explain the proposed changes and gather public feedback. You can also go to the MDC website to send your comments directly here: http://mdc.mo.gov/about-us/public-notices/comment-deer-management/deer-management-comments

One of the proposed changes is to reduce the number of antlered bucks allowed during archery season from 2 to 1. I am *STRONGLY* opposed to reducing the limit of antlered deer during the archery season to 1. I have been an avid bow hunter for nearly 15 years and during that time have never taken 2 bucks with my archery gear and tag...although my family and I like to try. After the firearms season in Southern Missouri all deer are scarce and bucks acceptable to shoot are mostly nocturnal. However, we hunt every year until January 15 trying because we love to bow hunt. I seriously doubt that a significant percentage of bow hunters harvest 2 antlered bucks during the archery season. So essentially, this proposal significantly limits hunter opportunity and will have very little benefit towards the goal of increasing the deer herd or age structure of bucks. A better proposal would be to impose an antler point restriction either during the entire archery season or at least after the firearms season OR for the second archery antlered buck. The current proposal is in direct conflict with the rationales for opening archery season to crossbows (increase hunter opportunity and recruitment). It makes no sense! I work hard to manage the deer herd on my property and this proposal would significantly limit the ability of my family to pursue whitetails with no overall benefit to the deer herd locally or statewide. I would much rather see the firearms season divided up into two shorter portions ( a November portion and a December portion) for a total of 9 to 10 days and impose antler point restrictions statewide or as stated above.

It appears that the proposal to open archery season to crossbows is not based upon sound wildlife biology but on the desire to sell more archery tags. The Department is aware that this will result in more deer killed so the proposal is to make that up by reducing the number of antlered bucks allowed during archery season from 2 to 1 knowing that the existing archers will still buy their tags. This takes away from the dedicated and serious archers. Crossbow permits are already liberally available to anyone with an injury or condition preventing him or her from shooting a bow. And why not simply propose to allow apprentice and youth crossbow permits if the goal is recruitment of hunters? I would whole-heartedly support that.

And it does not it make sense to impose greater restrictions on RESIDENT archers and not impose greater restrictions on NONRESIDENT gun hunters. This also looks like an attempt to put tag revenue ahead of biology. The most effective way to manage the deer is to manage the trigger. The most effective way to manage Missouri’s deer herd is to regulate the firearms portion of deer season. This should be the mantra of the Missouri Department of Conservation Department’s biologists. I am not a wildlife biologist but it has been said that “you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.” There are many reasons why this suggested mantra is obvious.

1) Center fire rifles are highly effective, accurate and require minimal skill to be lethal. This equates to a much greater chance for success for the hunter, meaning a harvested deer. Firearms hunters will have the greatest impact on the deer herd.

2) Archery hunters are fewer in number. The number of firearms hunters taking to the woods on the opening day of season is greater than the armies of most small countries. I don’t have the numbers but I am sure that the total number of archery hunters is a small percentage of the overall number of firearms hunters.

3) Firearms deer hunters are responsible for the overwhelming majority of the overall deer harvest. Conversely, archery hunters produce a small percentage of the overall deer harvest. Thus, further restricting the archery regulations will have an extremely limited impact on the size or age structure of the deer herd yet will limit hunter opportunity.

4) Archery hunters are more likely to abide by the statewide regulations which currently exist. This certainly does not apply to every archery or firearm hunter but talk to your agents and look at conviction statistics and I am sure that you will find that, overall, firearms hunters are less likely to follow the existing regulations. By its very nature archery hunting is an endeavor with low odds for success. A hunter who chooses utilize archery methods is less concerned about success (a harvest) as he or she is about the experience and quality of the hunt and is therefore less likely to “cheat” to achieve success (a harvest).

5) Archery hunters are more likely to self-impose regulations beyond what the law requires. Again this does not apply to every archery or firearm hunter but as a group archery hunters are more likely to be pursuing a certain “quality” of animal or quality of hunt instead of just any success (harvest). Therefore, an archery hunter is more likely to “pass” on harvesting a deer in hopes of harvesting a particular type of deer or doing it by a certain method even knowing that this might result in an un-filled tag. In other words, in the Missouri Department of Conservation’s Hunter Education Manual called, Today’s Hunter in Missouri, The Five Stages of Hunter Development are discussed. By and large gun hunters are more likely to be in stages 1 or 2 the shooting stage or limiting-out stage where the primary focus is getting off a shot or limiting out whereas bow hunters are more likely to be in stages 3 - 5 the trophy, method, and sportsman stages where the focus is on a particular quality of animal, the method used or the total experience of the hunt. It follows that, since archery hunters are more likely self-restricting, archery seasons are less in need of regulation.

6) Archery hunters are more likely to be “managers.” Once again, this does not apply to all firearm and archery hunters but archery hunters are more likely to engage in habitat management such as timber stand improvement, native grass establishment, food plotting, native browse enhancement, trail camera surveys, prescribed burning etc. This kind of monetary and “sweat equity” investment creates a respect and appreciation for the resource (deer) and makes the hunter more likely to be conservation-minded and self-impose restrictions. On the other hand, the majority of firearms hunters are consumers or users of the resource with no investment into it. This creates a lack of self-incentive in the firearm hunter to protect the resource unless required to do so. Thus more regulations are required for the firearms season. It’s common sense: a person takes better care of something if he or she had to work for it, invests in it or pays for it, and “owns” it. And the natural converse is, if a person has no investment into a thing he or she is less likely to care for and protect it.

The bottom line is that, regulating the firearms season will have a tremendous impact on the deer herd and is the most effective way to manipulate, control and impact the size and quality of Missouri’s deer herd. On the other hand, tinkering with the archery regulations will have very limited impact to the deer herd but have the significant negative result of disillusioning conservation’s biggest supporters and limiting hunter opportunity.

So how should the Missouri Department of Conservation regulate the firearms deer season?

An initial observation is that Missouri is situated square in the middle between Illinois, Iowa and Kansas. These three states have long been considered the “go to” states for quality whitetail hunting in terms of the number of animals and trophy potential for deer. Missouri has a decent reputation too but watch enough hunting shows and you’re far more likely to hear the hunter bragging about getting the “coveted Iowa tag” or being excited about getting to travel to the “great whitetail states” of Kansas or Illinois. Also, the number of whitetail outfitters in these three states far exceeds the number in Missouri. This means that people are more willing to pay good money to hunt those states than they are in Missouri, meaning that they think hunter opportunity is better in those places. And having traveled to some of these places myself I can tell you there is a difference in the size and quality of the deer herd. The difference in those three states is that they have far more restrictive firearms deer season regulations, period. It’s that simple.

In 2013 the overall deer harvest in Missouri was significantly lower than previous years. Since then, the Missouri Department of Conservation has been conducting numerous hunter and public opinion surveys and the Department is now proposing numerous regulation changes with the purported goal of increasing the deer herd, although not much is said about its quality. Based on all of the foregoing, considering the deer herds in neighboring states and with the understanding that the most effective way to manage Missouri’s deer herd is to regulate the firearms portion of deer season the following are some possible suggestions:

1) Modify the firearms season dates. Traditionally Missouri has had a comparatively long and intense firearms season allowing the use of center fire rifles in the peak of the rut, the time when deer activity is high, especially for young bucks not paired with does who are traveling seeking a mate. Our neighboring states mentioned do not have this type of long, intense firearms season which allow long-range rifles. The three previously mentioned states either have their firearms season after the peak rut or break the seasons up shorting their length and intensity. Our Department could move the season back after the peak rut, break the season up into two seasons (a November portion and a December portion) with the same number of days but divided, or simply shorten the season. This would reduce the length and intensity of the season which means less stress on the deer herd and better recovery post-rut and pre-winter.

2) Modify the allowable methods during firearms season. At least two of the neighboring states mentioned allow only shotgun and/or muzzleloaders during the firearms deer season. Modern shotguns and muzzleloaders have increased in effective range and accuracy but are nothing like the long-range capabilities of many center fire rifles. The truth of the matter is that the average Missouri firearm hunter is an ethically accurate shot only to about 200 yards maximum yet many have weapons enabling them to take shots far beyond that range. Every year after firearms season I observe numerous wounded deer on my trail cameras whose wounds could not have been sustained as a result of an ethical shot. I’m sure many of these deer perish. Limiting the methods to shotguns, muzzleloaders or maybe even calibers like 30/30 would reduce the chance of deer being wounded and not recovered as a result of shots beyond the hunter’s effective range. There could be exemptions to this requirement for apprentice and youth hunters.

3) Impose antler restrictions statewide. There has been much debate amongst deer biologists as to whether this is effective at increasing the age structure of bucks but as it stands now the “if it’s brown it’s down” philosophy reigns for a majority of the firearms deer season. If the goal is to increase the deer herd, you have to decrease the deer harvest. Eliminating young bucks from the harvest would help significantly to achieve those goals. Visit any meat processing plant on the opening day of firearms deer season and you are sure to see a large number of bucks 2 years of age or less. There could be exemptions to this regulation for apprentice and youth hunters.

4) Reduce tag availability or increase price for nonresidents. The three neighboring states mentioned previously either have reduced availability of firearms tags to non-residents by limiting number and having lotteries and drawings, much higher prices than Missouri or both. In Missouri, unlimited tags are available over the counter at a price much lower than the three states mentioned. Changing this would have the obvious result of increasing the deer herd. Related regulations could be to restrict the methods available for nonresidents or impose nonresident antler restrictions on bucks.

5) Eliminate the antler-less portion of the firearms season. This could be a temporary fix to the number of the deer herd and could be modified as to a region or on a county basis depending on deer numbers and only a yearly basis. 6) Break the State up into management units with different as-needed regulations in each. North of the Missouri River is far different than south. As stated previously the most effective way to manage Missouri’s deer herd is to regulate the firearms portion of deer season. The suggestions stated above are likely to have the greatest impact towards the Department’s stated management goals whereas proposals to modify the archery season are likely to have no significant benefit. Therefore I hope the Department will have the courage and public support to make the appropriate changes as needed.

Whether you agree or disagree with what I have written I hope that you will go to the links provided at the beginning of this message and voice your comments directly to MDC or attend one of the many scheduled public meetings.

26-Feb-15
Well said! I've already scheduled time for one of these meetings to let them know my opinion!

27-Feb-15
I have never understood the animosity towards non-resdents. MDC prints it every year... non-residents account for about 3% of the kill. Hardly significant. I bet the percentages are WAY higher in the coveted Illinois and Iowa.

27-Feb-15
The out-of-staters love us here. Kansas guys hold out for a giant, then come over here & buy a tag for little to nothing. Shoot a dink in Missouri cause they don't care, then go back home. Meanwhile we have to draw to hunt in other states. Every year the hunting gets better in Missouri & now we're going to let the cross-bows in, so get ready for more out-of-state-ers coming in.

28-Feb-15
What I wrote was not "animosity" towards non-resident hunters. The MDC is proposing some severe changes to the archery regulations. They have to make some tough decisions in order to meet management goals. Some of their proposals do not coincide with their purported goals. You state "non-residents account for about 3% of the kill." Bowhunters killing 2 bucks make up an even smaller percentage than that! At any rate, at least from me, it's not animosity. I would never want MDC to close the state to non-residents. But they do need to manage it.

28-Feb-15
The word "courage" in point #5 sums it up in one word. MDC is feeling pressure to make changes but will they actually make real changes that will have a significant impact, or implement the tit-tat stuff in hopes to pacify those wanting change without really doing anything. I say they will eat the elephant one bite at a time.

One buck per year regardless of take and they can solve half the battle without changing anything else.

I will add one other point, the managed hunts need to be resident only or 10% max to NR's.

28-Feb-15
The word "courage" in point #5 sums it up in one word. MDC is feeling pressure to make changes but will they actually make real changes that will have a significant impact, or implement the tit-tat stuff in hopes to pacify those wanting change without really doing anything. I say they will eat the elephant one bite at a time.

One buck per year regardless of take and they can solve half the battle without changing anything else.

I will add one other point, the managed hunts need to be resident only or 10% max to NR's.

03-Mar-15
There is an interesting crossbow thread on the Wisconsin site.

05-Mar-15
If you and I read the same article Hogtheif, it basically said there was no impact in allowing crossbows... just a shift from folks buying regular archery tags to crossbow tags. In a nutshell, Wisconsin sold 43000 or so fewer archery tags and sold about 44000 crossbow tags. The net was about 1000 or so more bowhunters in the whole state. Not significant. That trend has been shown in every state where crossbows are allowed. Crossbows will not change anything significantly. And in every state, success rates are almost identical to hunters using compound bows. The idea that crossbows are going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase participation and harvest has NEVER been supported by any data. It is an argument driven purely by emotion.

05-Mar-15
Amen Tico..I can't imagine many hunters will give up compounds or longbows for a crossbow. They are heavy, hard to carry through the woods, and good luck getting a second shot off. I wouldn't use one if I didn't have to. I heard some of the same arguments when compounds became popular.

05-Mar-15
That's been my point too. We (the hunting community) had this argument (before I was born) in the 50's and 60's When compounds came to the forefront, and it didn't ruin hunting. And the jump from compound to crossbow is much less significant than the jump from longbow to compound.

05-Mar-15
It's not a bow.

06-Mar-15
Neither is a compound. That was the argument in the 60's. Wheels and cams and releases and 85% let off. Lighted sights. But after 50 years, they are commonly accepted "archery" equipment. It will be the same with crossbows.

06-Mar-15
That's the way I read the article also, and you are right rico, it is an emotional debate. Political too. Anyway,I feel like archery is meant to be difficult. If it was easy everyone would do it, or buy a crossbow.

06-Mar-15
tico, not rico. My apologies.

06-Mar-15
Some of the naysayers seem to have lost sight of sitting in a tree stand watching and waiting for whatever wildlife they are hunting. I enjoy just being there, whether I make a kill or not. Doesn't matter to me what weapon I happen to be carrying, whether it be a firearm or bow. If you only use a bow, enjoy it. Later in life you may have to use a crossbow. What will your attitude about crossbows be then?

08-Mar-15
Disabled bowhunters can use a crossbow now, as well as gun hunt with them. I hunt public land. Am I going to be able to ride a 4_wheeler to my tree stAnd when I'm too old to walk?

09-Mar-15
LOL Don! If you are too old to walk you probably should not be climbing up to a tree stand. Not a reasonable analogy to the subject of crossbows.

10-Mar-15
I personally won't be hunting with a crossbow but I may look into getting one for my daughters to hunt with. Anything to get them outdoors a little more. Crossbows are not for me but they may have a time and place. Just not my time or my place. I don't rifle hunt anymore or like to see the season start but I do except it. Crossbow will be the same way. But don't think for a moment that they won't have an impact.

10-Mar-15
Crossbow argument much ado about nothing. I am old enough to remember when compound bows became popular and hearing "experts" say much the same thing about them. The same people who argue against crossbows will spend obscene amount of money on lures, calls, bowsites, game cameras, food plots, scent free camos, and yet get on their highhorse about someone "cheating" by using a crossbow. Unbelievable!

10-Mar-15
Kudos to you Rogue for taking your girl hunting, but I predict after carrying a heavy crossbow through the woods, she will be asking you for a bow.

12-Mar-15
Blugrass, my oldest will be in 4th grade and start the archery in schools program next year, so I'm sure you are right about the bow. I've never even touched a crossbow, but I keep hearing how heavy they are. They couldn't be much more than a rifle, could they? FYI, she's the main reason I don't rifle hunt any more. Too busy taking her hunting. She's done well the last 3 years, 6 deer and 3 spring gobblers.

13-Mar-15
I'm sure they will lighten them up. It's all sbout money.

13-Mar-15
"Me", I,my family ,"whats in it for me".Thats the trend for todays hunting "culture".No care or respect about what the archery season was created for. When you get to old to hunt,be thankful for the days you could, than go help or "mentor" as they say today someone who shows in interest in archery/bowhunting,stop demanding about making it easier or your getting old,etc.Open up the private land you may have to some that are less fortunate but have that "stirring within" to bow hunt. You will feel better and do more to keep the sport and spirit bowhunting alive long after your turned to dirt.

16-Jun-15
ya sure, refresh my memory...when do you draw the crossbows? Are they held in the rweady position just needing to be aimed like a gun and slip off the safety? My compound doesn't operate like that, it operates just like a trad bow, pull it back, aim & release!

16-Jun-15
Guys, why do crossbows need to open for everyone? If a person has no desire to archery hunt now, why do we need them?

17-Jun-15
20 feet, I suspect you are trying to make a point about crossbows. Are you saying no one should be allowed to use them? What is your point?

17-Jun-15
blugrass, anyone who chooses to can currently use them under the current regulations! With that said I think that crossbows should be allowed during archery for those who have the exemption. I do not for a minute support full crossbow inclusion for able bodied hunters. Able bodied hunters who have the desire to bowhunt can do so by grabbing a bow and learning to draw, anchor aim and release....otherwise known as archery hunting.

17-Jun-15
20 feet..Ok got ya. Point I've been trying to make on Bowsite is I've been bow hunting for over 60 years, and although some days I can't draw my compound, I still enjoy getting out in the woods deer hunting. Those days I take a crossbow.

Call it what you may, crossbows give some folks the opportunity to take advantage of a longer deer season. Some of those folks may not be able to get a doctors excuse. Some will not be able to pay for doctor visit just for said excuse.

Anyway, thanks for responding. Blugrass

17-Jun-15
Blugrass, you bring up a great point and many staunch crossbow supporters don't want to meet in the middle. As we age our bodies definitely breakdown. A good compromise would be say 55 years of age you can use a crossbow and heck I would even be for allowing crossbows during archery after the regular firearms season. What baffles me is why crossbows need full inclusion?

What are your thoughts on eliminating archery opportunity by eliminating 1 archery buck tag? That absolutely reaks of the fact that the MDC KNWOS that crossbows will be popular and also that CROSSBOWS are a much more efficient weapon than archery bows and therefore will increase the kill numbers!

Why not 2 bucks total, max 1 with a firearm?

17-Jun-15
here is a little piece a buddy of mine wrote -

Organize archery insisted and worked with the MDC years ago to make certain that crossbows would be available to those folks of all ages that had a medical/physical condition that limited their use of regular (real) archery equipment. We are told that there are over 10,000 folks using this exempt permit. That is GREAT ! What isn't great is that the MDC has never, to my current knowledge, survey these folks to determine their success rate or opinions on the usage for able-bodied folks. This alone is a travesty, and oversight of a valuable scientific resource of Missouri crossbow users. Can some one explain to me why the MDC would ignore this huge group for getting great information? Maybe because it might not help the direction that want OR have been told to go? In a period of deer hunting in Missouri where the MDC is proposing cut backs in deer bag limits/buck limits/and season limits.....it seems incredible that they are proposing the use of highly superior "gun-like weapons" for the entire archery season FOR ALL !

18-Jun-15
Good point on the age exemption. As I mentioned in another post, I don't see a huge increase in crossbow hunters by able bodied hunters simply because crossbows are awkward to carry through the woods, their weight, and good luck getting off a second shot. I know I would much prefer using my compound.

I agree with your buddy about a success survey. Good idea.

On another note, I never did get my crossbow exempt permit from MDC. I sent off for it but never got it. I just carry my doctors excuse with me. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the number of MDC permits.

18-Jun-15
interesting they didn't send you the report! Not really sure the MDC cares about deer heard as much as they do selling tags!!! I understand tags are money, but with the sales tax dollars they get, the deer should be more priority than tag sales. JMO

19-Jun-15
Will be 70 this Oct. Got my crossbow last yr. Had almost quit bow hunting. They are heavy but now will be able to hunt a few more yrs.

19-Jun-15
Way to go Retired!! Good hunting. Blugrass

19-Jun-15
Retired, safe to assume you have the doctors release? Not saying at 70 you should need it, but fortunately they are not legal for everyone in Missoura, at least not yet!

05-Jul-15
Blugrass, you download the application, fill it out with the doctor, cut off the top portion, and mail in the bottom. The top part is your permit. MDC keeps the bottom.

07-Jul-15
Thanks Moben. I was under the impression they, MDC, mailed me the actual permit. Anyway I'm good. I have what I need.

09-Jul-15
I went to Dr and he signed off n form. MDC did a great job on this.

21-Sep-15
I'm in neighboring Oklahoma and Missouri is in my oppinion one of the most poorly manages states in the country. Not much you can do with that kind of stupid. Good luck avoiding the crossbows... One comprimise you might try for would be concurrent season dates for archery(hand held bows) and crossbows that is tracked separately and has different licenses. In other words, let the crossbows in because it's going to happen regardless and then track the success rates which will likely be higher so crossbow seasons are cut back without effecting regular archery equipment and the proof is in statistically. It's only reasonable

23-Sep-15
Hey! Sooners can't call Missourians stupid. Only Missourians can call Missourians stupid! In my oppinion one of the most poorly manages states?

27-Sep-15
If anyone says a compound and a crossbow are the same they have some sort of mental disease. The only difference in a rifle and a crossbow is that a crossbow shoots an arrow instead of a bullet. 90% of the difficulty of archery hunting is DRAWING THE BOW. If you want to look through a scope buy a rifle, not a "bow" Crossbow hunters that call themselves "archery hunters" ruin the image of bow hunters.

27-Sep-15
LOL!! I can remember when recurve bow hunters said the same when compounds became popular. Bow sights, easy to hold at full draw and other accessories make a bow hunter? Get off your high horse! Majority of crossbow hunters probably would prefer to use a compound bow. I know I would.

By the way, do you hunt over a food plot? Use a trail camera? Use scent killer? Ambush from high tree stand? Use a grunt call? Maybe you don't, but a lot of "Bowhunters" who call themselves bowhunters do. Give me a break!!

30-Sep-15
"The only difference in a rifle and a crossbow is that a crossbow shoots an arrow instead of a bullet."

This has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard. Do you really think a crossbow has the same capabilities a rifle does?

That statement is so flawed I don't even know where to begin. I must assume you have never shot a crossbow past 50 yards, maybe never at all, and with a statement like that I'm wondering if you have very much experience with a rifle.

I will say this. Something you have failed to realize, probably thru lack of any experience with the weapon. The crossbow is a short range weapon. Very short range, just like ANY bow! Yes just like any bow you can shoot it out to 100 yards, however you are not going to ethically hunt with any bow at that range!

Obviously a rifle however can easily obtain kill shots at 100 yards and honestly upwards of 1,000 plus yards depending on the exact caliber and rifleman holding the weapon. However for arguments sake we can probably both agree that even a moderate rifleman can make 300 yard kill shots, which are very common in the western part of the states. Do you really believe a crossbow can do this?

I'm not going to get in argument over which "bow", compound or crossbow, is easier to hunt with or even argue if they should be allowed in archery season or not. However your statement, "The only difference in a rifle and a crossbow is that a crossbow shoots an arrow instead of a bullet", is absolutely absurd in my opinion.

Finally I also believe you sell bow hunting WAY short when you say "90% of the difficulty of archery hunting is DRAWING THE BOW." Most hunters I know and talk to refer to the challenge of getting the animal close! Within bow range! Yes you gotta draw the bow in their presence but man is it a challenge even getting them that close to begin with!

01-Oct-15
Not saying you can shoot 300 yards with a crossbow, I'm just saying all you're doing is putting the crosshairs on it and pulling a trigger. Yes, rifles have the capability of shooting farther but that doesn't take away from the fact that inside of 70 yards they are practically identical.

02-Oct-15
A crossbow shooting 400fps sighted in at 10 yards will drop 22" at 50 yards. Most crossbows are shooting in the 350fps range and will drop about 28". A shot at 70 yards will easily be 3-4 feet low. This isn't even considering any windage issues. A compound bow will actually shoot flatter at long ranges because the arrow is longer and has better flight capabilities than the short crossbow arrow. Don't believe me, look here:

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-drop-charted-test-results/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxA1KP_k90

At any rate, the capabilities of a crossbow can in NO WAY be compared to a rifle they aren't even close to each other. The ONLY comparison that can be moderately made is in the way they look. They both have stocks and triggers and can both be fitted with a scope on a rail. That is where the similarities end!

When presented with the facts, making the argument that crossbows are like rifles and that's why they should be illegal during archery season really only makes you look foolish, and hurts your credibility when arguing against them!

02-Oct-15
You say the effective range of a rifle is 1000 yards, so how much drop will a .300 win mag have at those ranges? I would say a lot more than 4 feet. Look up the HHA Speed Dial and it calibrates a crossbow scope out to 80 yards. Most guys I know would only shoot a compound out to 40 or 50, giving a crossbow a 30-40 yard advantage.

05-Oct-15
Does anyone know the difference in revenue between Kansas and Mo pertaining to deer hunting tag sales? Kansas just does it so much better than Missouri. Is Mo making more money?

05-Oct-15
Both , the challenge and the joy of the archery hunt........for me........is the ability to draw down on a wild animal without being detected.

That to me is the essence of bow hunting. If someone wants to use a crossbow, all the power to them.

But , God forbid , crossbows ever replace bows and arrows , mankind will have lost of the purest forms of hunting mankind has ever known.................archery hunting with a bow and an arrow.

06-Oct-15
A spear is way more pure.....and we have already lost that.

08-Oct-15
Time to comment MO bowhunters... on.mo.gov/1NJkkzZ tell the state that crossbows and handheld bows are not the same you never know just maybe if enough of us stand together we might win but you have got to do your part during the comment period. I was in CO a month ago and the game warden said they were going to put in a bunch of bike trails in the national forest I was hunting because the hunters weren't as vocal as the bikers so come on get in there and comment!

08-Oct-15
Thanks for the reminder John. As a crossbow hunter, [not by choice], I will be voicing my opinion too.

09-Oct-15
Richard sorry you lost that choice at 58 it could happen to me any day, I have no problem with there use for the disabled. I do think a lot of people who are to lazy to practice with their bow will buy the crossbows for the ease of use good luck with your hunts.

09-Oct-15
Don't get me wrong if they are no longer able to draw a bow then I believe they should get to use a crossbow, but I agree with JohnB in the fact that a lot of gun hunters will pick up the crossbow once or twice a year instead of putting out the work that makes bowhunting bowhunting.

20-Oct-15
Coming in late to the discussion, but i agree that the difference between the bow and crossbow is not the range, but the ability to fire the weapon undetected. There is a huge advantage to just having to pull a trigger. BTW, what is the average distance a deer is shot at, with a rifle, in Missouri? 50-60 yards. Definitely less than 100 yards. The Crossbow has been limited for a good reason up until now and should remain limited for the same.

21-Oct-15
I also worry that with people now days wanting everything now; young people especially, will be less likely to pick up a bow it takes much more practice to be successful therefore handheld archery in this state anyway will decrease.

26-Nov-15
All the crossbow hate is funny.

Most rifle hunters I know dont practice at all. I know more than a few "Archers" who simply hurl a few downrange to confirm pin settings.

Lets not pretend that bow hunters are all ethical, or that crossbows are a threat to YOUR choices.

26-Nov-15
Which crossbow company do you work for Deerguy?

27-Nov-15
dguy, it aint crossbow hate. its like the slippery slope from weed to heroin. pretty soon all crossbow and rifle hunters will want rifle season year round because "it does not hurt anything".

30-Nov-15
I kind of go back to the old saying, "If it was easy everyone would do it." I feel like archery should be difficult.

30-Nov-15
Not trying to be funny, but your post begs a question. "I feel archery should be difficult". I assume you are shooting a long bow or recurve with no sights. You probably don't use scent killer, mock scrapes, tree stands, various deer attractants or hunt over food plots. I could go on, but you get my point. Who draws the line between "difficult" and "easy"?

Just my opinion, but the indians used the "difficult" method, and todays bowhunters use the "easy" method.

30-Nov-15
Custom Bighorn. 56 lbs. Cedar arrows. Turkey feather fletching. Not saying it is for everyone, but I feel like we sometimes take "shortcuts" because we are too busy to practice. I realize that we are in a numbers game with hunters and making it easier attracts more people. Just not sure the end justifies the means. I understand your point bluegrass. Not sure I'm qualified to determine the line between what is archery, and what isn't. I just know how I feel.

30-Nov-15
Damn! Wish I could still draw 56 lbs.

30-Nov-15
rotator cuff? i develop elbow tendonitis if i don't shoot on a regular basis. I have 70 lb limbs for my recurve, but i don't shoot that much poundage well.

30-Nov-15
Rotator cuff? Lol.. Just old age. Little bit of everything.

01-Dec-15
Hang in there, and keep fighting the good fight.

08-Dec-15
I'm just saying that Missouri has a lot more potential for incredible trophy quality than the management policies are allowing.

1) Missouri rifle season is smack dab in the middle of the rut, it's a recipe for eating up good bucks before they are ripe 2) Missouri has a 3 buck limit. This allows Missouri hunters too rarely need to stop and think about their entire season when encountering a buck...if they shoot a small one they have a chance for 2 other bucks regardless. 3) too much firearms hunting in general. Missouri has a youth farm season, general firearms season, muzzleloader season, pistol and all weapons season.

09-Dec-15
Should Oklahoma outlaw noodling?

18-Dec-15
haha, if someone wants to stick their hand in a hole and dig out whatever is lurking beneath they have my respect lol

10-Jan-16
Well you folks could have it a lot worse. Kansas has decided to put a price tag on every deer's head.

We give an almost unlimited number of non-resident tags.

We have an either sex tag for residents that is good for any season as long as you use the legal weapon for that season and our KDWP&T commissioners have decided to allow anyone who wishes to use a crossbow to do so in the archery season. So now any rifle hunter who didn't wish to learn how to shoot a bow is now a crossbow hunter in the archery season.

We have no form of registering animals taken so our biologist have no way of recording the harvest.

Good luck if they put crossbows in the archery season for anyone. The success rate for crossbows is much higher than conventional bows(longbow, recurve or compound). That is one piece of information our KDWP&T has been able to gather from random surveys sent out to hunters.

13-Jan-16
That higher success rate MAY be true in Kansas, but in other places that is not the case. Rates are very similar.

13-Jan-16
The numbers are invalid. Since the check stations went away the counts aren't even close.

14-Jan-16
Many states are not even recording success rates only the number of tags being sold so many have no idea if the hunter is even using a crossbow or real bow. That and many states don't have an accurate record of harvest so they can't even know how many animals are being taken and what weapon was used.

We have tried for several years to get a check system sat up to get an accurate harvest count and real information on how our heard is doing and how animals are being taken (with what weapon). The best we can get is a voluntary survey that KSWP&T sends out to gather data.

• Sitka Gear