nijimasu 17-Mar-15
T43 17-Mar-15
nijimasu 19-Mar-15
The Old Sarge 19-Mar-15
The Old Sarge 20-Mar-15
geneinidaho 20-Mar-15
27-Feb-15

geneinidaho's Link
ATTENTION: Idaho Sportsmen/women we need to stand up and let our voices be heard RIGHT NOW. Idaho Legislation is attempting to blackball our Fish & Game Department and force them to add items that we the people do not want. Legislation has told the Fish and Game Commissioners that they will approve the Proposed Fee increase but F&G HAS to add Automatic Land Owner Tags, Governor Tags and a Point System for draw hunts. The Automatic Land Owner Tags will grant automatic tags to land owners locking up several of the trophy units within Idaho. You NEED to contact the Governor any way that you can and let him know that you do not want these items added and if he sees a bill come to his desk on this that he needs to Veto it right away. I am asking all of my fellow Sportmen/Women to share this post and get the word out to everyone so the voice of the masses can be heard. There is no time to complain or bicker about this since there is a very small window to act. People keep saying they want their voice to be heard on matters and here is your chance. Attached is the Gov email, let him know the Legislature does not manage our wildlife!

27-Feb-15
Has the legislature already passed the bill? If not, what is the ID number? ... so we can look it up and contact our senators and representatives.

Contacting the governor may very well be a good idea, but it would be better to stop it before it even goes to him.

27-Feb-15
The only bill I find dealing with F&G fee increases is H0032 (HB32) and, according to the legislature's web page, it has not even had a hearing yet. It has only been referred to the House Resources & Conservation Committee.

Is this the one you're talking about? Do you have information more recent than the legislature's web site?

27-Feb-15
These are riders attached to other bills, those bills are not known and not known who the sponsor(s) are at this time. Updated info will be posted when it is received.

27-Feb-15
I just spoke with the F&G Director's office. HB 32 is indeed the bill in question but they do not yet know how the legislature is going to deal with the issue of their own demands and F&G's resistance. They could simply amend HB 32 or they could start over with a new bill.

At any rate, they told me that this message to contact the governor was put together by the F&G Commissioners but that it was not supposed to go public just yet.

My point, Gene, is that at this point, it is far better to get up a head of steam with our own senators and representatives and particularly with the Resources and Conservation Committee to see if we can stop the blackmail.

27-Feb-15
Good info TOS. Just like being pro-active verses re-active. Thanks for the help.

27-Feb-15
No problem, Gene. Just concerned about doing things the best way possible. Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea until you posted.

Now ... here's a message I am sending to the Chair of the House Resources and Conservation Committee as well as to my senator and my representative.

Sir,

It has come to my attention that some (unknown to me) entity in the legislature is demanding that F&G implement Land Owner tags, Governor Tags and a Points System for big game draw hunts in exchange for approval of the requested fee increases. See HB 32.

Idaho sportsmen have repeatedly come out strongly against point systems for big game draws and land owner tags that would allow land owners to hunt big game while locking out the general public. It was not too long ago that here in Idaho if a land owner did not allow hunting on his land, he was not allowed to hunt it himself. I realize those days are gone and I am not asking for a return to them. However, I think it would be unfair and a gross miscarriage of long-standing F&G philosophy to just hand over tags to land owners to use/sell as they see fit. There are other more worthwhile ways to reward them for their stewardship of the land and wildlife that does not shut anyone else out.

Additionally, points systems only reward those that feel they deserve special consideration over someone else. That notion is based solely on the idea that just because they participated last year, or the year before, etc., that they should go to the head of the line. Draw hunts have long been a strict lottery and I firmly believe they should remain such. The only fair way to award limited tags is by a method where every applicant has the same odds. No favoritism just for having previously played.

I thank you for your time and consideration and hope that you will end this attempt to coerce F&G to bow to special interest demands that Idaho sportsmen have repeatedly rejected.

Feel free to copy, alter, etc and sent it to yours also.

27-Feb-15
Looks good, thank you.

27-Feb-15

geneinidaho's Link
For those who do not know who their representative is click on attached link.

27-Feb-15
Sounds like what new Mexico did , I lived there 4 years and never drew a tag but ranchers got plenty. The local saying was there is my new pickup tags, since they could sell them for what they wanted.

28-Feb-15
PLEASE READ THIS AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU NEED TO BE DOING!! Commissioners, It was a very busy week last week with hearings, legislator meetings and interviews for the open Deputy Director position to mention a few. I meet with 8 additional different legislators last week and had hallway conversations with House Speaker Bedke and Majority Caucus Leader Mike Moyle. The good news is the revenue bill concepts and PriceLock appear to be gaining favor. Still have a number of legislators that are not saying they support, but like the PriceLock concept. I have been able to address some opposition to increasing the fees that is related to the Rock Creek property purchase proposal such that two legislators may consider support. Saturday evening Mark Doerr got a copy of a draft bill to me related to our revenue proposals that I have been reviewing this morning. I do not know the writer(s) of this draft bill but it does address most areas I had been told were being discussed by several legislators. This draft bill address 5 sections: auction tags, LAP tags, bonus points, fees and implements PriceLock as follows: 1. The Commission shall establish rules for bonus or preference points. Increase the fee for points to $5 (is now $4.50). 2. Modifies the LAP program to establish, private land tags, family tags and stewardship tags. Private land tags may be sold but are only usable on private land in the given hunt area. Family tags can not be sold and can be used in the entire hunt area. Stewardship tags are for habitat enhancement, access and/or depredation agreements and are in addition to the private or family tags. Tags are allocated by acreage, 1 tag for 640 to 4999 acres; 2 tags for 5000 to 9999 acres and 3 tags for over 10,000 acres. These tags will come from the "statewide nonresident tags quota". It appears to do away with the CH draw for LAP tags simply adding tags sufficient to meet the LAP demand. 3. The Commission shall issue "Governor's wildlife partnership tags". Tags will be taken from "nonresident controlled hunt programs" - up to 3 deer, 3 elk, 3 pronghorn antelope, 1 mountain goat and 1 moose. Everything else appears similar to how the bighorn sheep tags are handled now. 4. Implements the fee schedule proposed in our current bill 5. Implements Discounted License Fees - "the commission shall order a discount in fees...". This is the PriceLock concept except it does not have a review provision or sunset date included. It does not address the folks who might be involved in military, educational or religious absence from the state getting the discount when they return if they qualified when they left that we were told needed addressed. I do not know if this draft will be printed or if further modifications are forth coming. Regardless I wanted you to know that there is more than just talk and I expect all of these aspects to part of a bill at some point this session. Sharon and I will give this further review and I will discuss with the Chair on Tuesday some ideas on how the Commission can approach these 5 items. I would request though we try and keep this close among the Commission for now until we can verify the status of this draft. We can discuss Thursday morning in more detail. I will call in to the Thursday conference call from Denver. Virgil Reps, Bracket, Bedkey, Sidaway, Bear, and of course Moyle are behind this. One of them told a commissioner "I don't care what the sportsmen think, I want this" There is also talk of adding wolf depredation costs to this, which means that us sportsmen get to pay that bill as well!! We need to let our legislation know that we will not support them and will make sure they do not have a job in the next election if this is pushed through!! Tad Sherman

28-Feb-15
Done.

This information NEEDS to be circulated throughout the rifle hunting community.

Anyone know the best way to do that?

01-Mar-15
I emailed my District 15 representatives on this and Rep. Luker had this in response to HB32:

I do not support this bill. It does not seem to be moving,, so maybe it will stay in committee. Rep. Luker

01-Mar-15
CC, thanks for doing your part. As far as the rifle hunting community I would hope someone from here would share this. TOS, I know you call it "any weapon" season but I would think you have spread the word to the other sportsman, if so, Thanks!

01-Mar-15
A point system? I guess it was just a matter of time. Sure hope this does not pass, Idaho is one of the few states left where everyone get's a fair shake, no matter how long they've been applying.

03-Mar-15
There is no limit to the letters you can send. We need to be LOUD and clear on this. If you have sent e-mails send them again.

04-Mar-15
First of all, it's not me that calls it "any weapon" season. F&G does that. Idaho code does that. :0)

Second, you are correct that I have spread the word with everyone I know outside this site that hunts.

04-Mar-15
Thank you for your help TOS.

Not playing a word game here, no time or care to do so.

05-Mar-15
I have been informed the Gov has received just 200 e-mails concerning this.

You have got to be kidding me!

For all the whining/complaining I hear and only 200!

This needs to improve drastically and quickly!

05-Mar-15
Here are the major players in this bill Please make sure you contact them and let them know that the sportsmen of Idaho are not going to let them forget about us!

House side

Scott Bedke; 208-332-1111 [email protected] Dell Raybould; 208-332-1173 [email protected] Terry Gestrin; 208-332-1124 [email protected] Mike Moyle; 3208-332-1120 [email protected] Marc Gibbs; 208-332-1042 [email protected]

Senate Side

Steve Bair; 208-332-1385 [email protected] Bert Brackett; 208-332-1336 [email protected] Jeff Siddoway; 208-332-1342 [email protected]

The Governor's office should be included on all of this as well.

06-Mar-15
Gene,

200 don't see like a lot to me, I wonder how that compares to other issues?

06-Mar-15
I was surprised last night at the sports show. Most all of the non bowhunters had not heard of these issues. They were not happy to say the least.

06-Mar-15
This needs to see more press.

06-Mar-15
The gov. actualy wrote back.Just not the answer I wished to hear.

07-Mar-15
My reply from the Governor said he would consider my comments if and when the legislation reached his desk. I assume yours was similar.

08-Mar-15
same here

10-Mar-15
No reply at all from any of the entities I contacted as of March 10; and I believe I was very polite in my correspondence. They must have looked up my voting record and decided I was already a lost cause.

Any updates on this?

10-Mar-15
The bill is still dead in committee. If I were to make a wager on it I would bet it stays dead and the legislators try to push their agenda through the commission later. F&G doesn't get any additional funding and no legislator put their name on a bill so they have nothing to deny come election time.

10-Mar-15
Copy/paste from ISB facebook page;

The legislative sportsmen’s caucus met this morning with some sportsmen and I am told that Rep. Wood acknowledged to the group that there would be a legislative RS for a print hearing soon. Rep. Donna Pence has indicated she believes the print hearing will be through the House Ways and Means Committee – this committee acts upon the call of the Speaker so can very quickly accommodate a print hearing to move something along although she has not yet seen the RS. I expect the print hearing will be in the next day or so.

11-Mar-15

The Old Sarge's Link
Here's a link to the bill (HB32)as it stands on the Idaho Legislature web site as of 8:30 this morning (11 March).

According to the web site, the original text of the bill has not been amended and nothing has been added as yet. This link will continue to lead to the bill regardless of what happens.

11-Mar-15
No difference from when first introduced. You will be hard pressed to find any other info in writing.

11-Mar-15
Old Sarge, thank you for point out what already has been. I apologize if we have been given more information than you and will try and hold back on it until it is introduced so you don't have to find out that is is still coming. Most likely it will be today, but for sure this week.

11-Mar-15

geneinidaho's Link

11-Mar-15
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/commission/letter/

11-Mar-15

nijimasu's Link
Please add your comments to the Statesman's article:

11-Mar-15
Please write the statesman as well

12-Mar-15
You're welcome for the live link, Mr Wapiti.

12-Mar-15
I typically am not one that writes letters - unfortunately I don't feel that they do much good.

In this case though, I've written to the gov., my senator, and both representatives. I hope it might do some good -- we sure as hell don't need the legislature running our F&G dept.

DDD

13-Mar-15
Got a reply from one of my reps. (Harris) he says he is opposed to the whole thing.

just FWIW

DDD

14-Mar-15
Mike Moyle(rep) told me today he does not care about the letters or phone calls, he says the majority of people want preference points and that he only listens to his friends, as they have years of experience and know what the sportsmen of Idaho want. He kept saying "when" we get them. not "if".

I would love to see the people of district 14 run a goat against him and vote it in :)

15-Mar-15
Tad-

Any way to get some TV coverage as ISB president or something ? Even with the statesman article I don't think that many people realize going on. It would be particularly helpful to hear you report your conversation with Moyle.

15-Mar-15
To bad that conversation wasn't recorded. That would make a great campaign snippet... for his competitor.

15-Mar-15
Tad, you gotta be kidding me, he really said that? What a Dbag.

16-Mar-15

nijimasu's Link
This ran in the Statesman. I wrote a letter to "6 on your side"... no answer though.

17-Mar-15

geneinidaho's Link
Please keep the pressure up people. The attached link gives the contact info for legislation and also a survey from ISB. Please do your part! This affects ALL SPORTSMEN of Idaho, resident/non resident alike.

While attending the sports show I discovered 95% of the non bow hunting community have no idea this is going on.

Spread the word folks!

17-Mar-15
From another site I visit:

This is minority chairman Donna Pence response to an email. Sounds like they are going to attach this stuff to another bill. Keep the pressure on its not over..

H32 is being held and a new bill written which will attached those things you railed against. It will likely go through the Ways and Means Committee this late in the session. This committee is made up of Minority and Majority Leaders of the House and the committee chairman. The Minority Leadership will be against this move but the vote will be 4-3. When this gets to the floor I see few republicans courageous enough to vote against their leadership.

I will oppose it, but you have done what you need to by writing to your legislators and the body as a whole. Urge other to do the same to keep pressure on them. Thank you for siding with the wildlife of Idaho.

Sincerely,

Donna

Representative Donna Pence

Minority Caucus Chairman

Idaho Legislature

17-Mar-15
The ways and means committee will meet tomorrow. No agenda for the meeting has been published. The only bill listed in that committee that I can find is H0086 and it hasn't moved since it was referred at the beginning of last month. If they aren't working on that bill they must be going to introduce a new RS any bets on what it will be.

19-Mar-15

nijimasu's Link

19-Mar-15
Early this morning, I emailed Ways and Means Committee Chair, Rep. Perry, asking for the committee's agenda. No response.

20-Mar-15
Anyone have any updates on the Ways and Means Committee actions on this? I still have not gotten a response from Chairwoman Perry.

20-Mar-15
No updates known at this time. Keep contacting legislation/Gov.

• Sitka Gear