RC 05-Mar-15
Jeff Durnell 05-Mar-15
Treerat 07-Mar-15
DaleHajas 08-Mar-15
Jeff Durnell 08-Mar-15
RC 08-Mar-15
RC 08-Mar-15
28-Feb-15
Came across this photo essay on the growth of a deer's antlers as it ages. Thought it was interesting enough to share. Just copy and paste the address.

This should help put the old saw about "Once a spike, always a spike" to rest.

http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/galleries/photo-gallery-from-buttons-to-booner

28-Feb-15
I agree but you will still get guys who say we are killing all the bucks with good genetics and letting the bucks with inferior genes breed here in PA due to to AR's. Even though it has been proven wrong scientifically over and over.

Mike

01-Mar-15

Brad Gehman's Link
I put it in a link

01-Mar-15
Thank you, Brad. I'm a newbie here and haven't got all the procedures figured out yet. Thanks again for simplifying the process. The photographs are worth seeing.

02-Mar-15
Cool link. Visit Rusty up in Cook Forest. She has racks from bucks up on the walls from their entire lives.

02-Mar-15
Cool link. Visit Rusty up in Cook Forest. She has racks from bucks up on the walls from their entire lives.

02-Mar-15

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Got these of the main forum. Shug from New Jersey posted them. I asked him if I could use them.

This is some unbelievable antler growth in 3 years! Another example that shows, you just never know what a buck will grow into from his first rack.

1 1/2 in this photo.

02-Mar-15

2 1/2 he was a 115 inches

02-Mar-15

3 1/2 he was a 160 inches!

02-Mar-15
Yep, dead 1 1/2 year old ain't getting any bigger, ever! He could be a scrawny spike and 1 1/2 and I would guarantee at 5 1/2 he would be something you want to shoot. I know I know some of you are happy with a scrawny spike, I say have at it.

Mike

03-Mar-15
Yinzs horn hunters are all alike. I want, I want, I want. It's not about hunting to you guys, it's not about deer meat, it's all about that mount ya put on your wall so ya can stand back, look at them, and thump your chest.

03-Mar-15
I don't know what the heck that buck's doing eatin' that junk on the ground. No wonder it's got that spotchy lookin' hide. Been eatin' junk since he was a young'un.

After all, it's browse that makes 'em big and strong.

03-Mar-15
Lol Roy

Yinzs horn hunters are all alike. I want, I want, I want. It's not about hunting to you guys, it's not about deer meat, it's all about that mount ya put on your wall so ya can stand back, look at them, and thump your chest."....RC

Hmmm let's see. If I would have shot the first legal buck that walked by this year in Pa and Ohio, I would have got to spend about 2 hours hunting deer. By waiting for a bigger deer, I got to spend a couple weeks hunting. Not to mention, bigger deer means more meat in the freezer!:)

03-Mar-15
I can't believe that buck lived, Dave. I've been told in here that corn kills.

03-Mar-15
Corn does kill RC.

Corn makes their racks big and the bucks fat, and then them nasty horn hunters kill 'em. LOL!

Besides, I don't know what all the hub bub is about - that piebald is a spindly racked dink. No mass at all. :^)

03-Mar-15
Yup, and in the last picture you can see his stomach is bloated.. Probably died that night. Then a yote dug under the fence and started chewing on the dead buck and the poor yote got blamed for killing him and got his a$$ shot.

03-Mar-15
I agree stick! Also, the guy who passes young deer get to spend more time hunting deer! So I guess it's not about hunting to the guys who tag out as quick as possible either:)

03-Mar-15
Nah, unlike headhunters, those who 'shoot the first legal buck' can kill it and then keep hunting does for more meat. More deer mean more meat, more hunting, and more fun than any one buck offers. On the other hand, I know several headhunters who refuse to hunt does, shoot their 'special bucks', are done hunting early, and give every ounce of meat away... turkey meat too.

Additionally, smaller/younger deer drag easier... the meat is more tender and tastier than a stressed, rutted up old buck, doing so falls more in line with nature's natural orders, their skins make better rawhide for backing bows, etc. etc.

Sensibility says kill 'em young :^)

03-Mar-15
"Nah, unlike headhunters, those who 'shoot the first legal buck' can kill it and then keep hunting does for more meat. More deer mean more meat, more hunting, and more fun than any one buck offers. "

Holy crap! I didn't know it was illegal for guys who wait on a nice buck to shoot does! I'm probably gonna get in trouble for buying doe tags all these years:)

03-Mar-15
It's not.

See how that works? I can talk in false generalizations too. Funny... right?

Lol

03-Mar-15
Maybe you didn't see the :) I put at the end of my post Jeff. I was doing the same thing you did. Lol. :):):):):):):):):)

In all honesty, I don't care what anyone shoots! You pay the same for your license as I do for mine. We all have the right to shoot whatever we want ( as long as it's legal ). If someone is happy with a little 1 1/2 year old buck, then I'm happy for them and would be the first to congratulate them.

We all hunt for different reasons and for what ever makes each of us happy and that's our right too.

I use to kill the first legal buck that walked by too. It got to the point where the excitement just wasn't there like it was before. So, I started holding out for a little older bucks and it put the excitement back in the hunt for me. Now, there is nothing I like more the trying to figure out and shoot older deer.

Some guys go to trad equipment to add something more to their hunt and some guys get the excitement back in other ways. It's all good! Whatever works for you!

03-Mar-15
Some of yinzs are still horn hunters:)

Specially ole treebrat:)

Now if you girls hunted big bucks with a stick bow, I might have a different opinion of yinzs... Cause that would be a huge challenge....

Compounds are like them guys who go ice fishing, then gotta hide in a heated tent to do it... Fishen, ya right:)

03-Mar-15
I agree, Ben. It's all good :^)

03-Mar-15
Big racks,make 'dem big bucks,easy to drag!!! lol

03-Mar-15
No they don't. They get hung up on more trees and brush and stuff... some of em won't even fit under the tonneau cover.

03-Mar-15

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo
For the first half mile, she didn't have any trouble at all draggin' this one. :^)

03-Mar-15
Dink:) zat yer better half Dave?

BTW- who'd make that young lady drag that deer out by herself? Shame shame shame....:)

03-Mar-15
Dale,

yes sir...that's her.

I hunted that buck for 2 seasons - had it at 12 yards the previous year, but couldn't get a good shot, so I had to pass. She got so sick and tired of hearing me yammer about that buck over the course of the next year, that she told me if I shut up and killed that buck, she'd drag it out.

It's funny, but when the alarm went off that morning, I rolled over and was going to go back to sleep, but she poked me in the ribs and told me that I couldn't kill "the big one" from where I was laying, so I got up.

A couple of hours later, I was back home, telling her to hurry up and finish her coffee because she had a buck to drag. :^)

She pulled it about 5 feet and quit. But she picked up all of the clothes I shed over the course of the drag. I was down to my boots and long underwear bottoms by the time we got back to the truck. LOL!

03-Mar-15
Likely story, Dave..

I see the high fence behind it.... Looks like a crossbow bolt hit it too.

03-Mar-15

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Looks like it's been baited too, still has an apple from Giant Eagle hanging out of it's mouth with the GE label still on it... Shame on you:):):)

03-Mar-15
Lol

03-Mar-15
Yeah, I'm laughin here too. Just keep justifyin' while putting words in my mouth. I never said "majority". I said I know several. It's the truth.

I've shot big old bucks too. I know how much meat, and fat, is on them, or not, versus year and a half old deer, and it's not twice as much. I've shot mature bucks that rutted and fought so hard they had zero visible fat, and also lost considerable amounts of muscle mass. You don't think the stress on a dominant breeder effects the quality of the meat when killed at the peak of the rut or after?

Funny how them headhunters I know, when they DO keep one of them run down skanky breeders, get it all ground into hot stick, jerky, bologna, while adding pork fat and piles of spices to it to make it half edible... then bring it to work and give it away. It's no wonder they don't like deer meat :^)

03-Mar-15
Older deer taste just fine Jeff, maybe you should try one some time ; ) Oh I know that wouldn't be natural ; ) by the way an archilogical study was done on Over 100 Indian sites they were looking at the deer bones in the Indians dumps, Ya know where they threw their waste, By measuring pelvoc bone they can tell gender and age, guess what the results were 50% mature deer 50% young deer. The problem with you and your "natural" theory is your perception of "natural" is off IMO, natural is surviving! there for to hunt natural you should be using the fastest crossbow and gun with the best optics you can get your hands on because that's what the "natural" Indians would have done if given the chance.

By the way calling people who hunt for mature bucks "head hunters" is an insult IMO. Grouping all guys who hunt mature bucks together and calling them "head hunters" would be about as smart a statement as me saying traditional hunters are unethical because they use inferior equipment.

RC your welcome to sit in my heated ice hut any time. Or since yer a trad guy do you just chop a hole in the ice with a stone axe and fish with a net like the Indians did?

Mike

03-Mar-15
Hey Mike...one of the best tastin' deer I ever ate, was a big old buck I killed in Ohio several years ago. His teeth were almost gone. I don't know, if he woulda made it another year. The theory old old bucks not tasting good, is more likely the result of not taking care of it properly or in a timely manner.

And Jeff, mine don't get hung up on anything, I wheelem' out on a cart. Easy peazy! :)

03-Mar-15
Are you inviting me to go ice fishing with ya?

03-Mar-15
Yes! Bring good beer not that PBR Crap, I drink Sam Adams Boston Lager or a home brew IPA. See you tomorrow morning at Dobblin landing in Erie at high noon.

Mike

03-Mar-15
Mike, you supported 'my theory'. Thanks. A percentage of older animals through the course of subsistance hunting is natural.... especially the old and weak... targeting ONLY animals with big antlers isn't. Do natural predators target only big-antlered critters?

By the way, at what age did they consider those bones 'mature'. At a ratio of 50/50, I bet their definition of mature and yours and mine are not the same. Do you have a link to that study?

I dont "group all guys"... I try not to use the terms 'headhunter' and 'people who hunt for mature bucks' synonomously because I don't think they're necessarily one and the same. Some I can respect. Others I can't.

If someone kills an animal for its head... especially if done with no intention of using any parts of it other than the head... they earned it.

03-Mar-15
Actually Jeff, I was laughing at the apple RC put on Daves pic. Me and stick must have posted at the same time.

I have to admit though, I did get a chuckle out of " the burger not tasting stressed" comment:)

03-Mar-15
I learned of the study from DR Grant Woods a well known deer biologist out of Missouri, I'll try to find a link but I'm sure you will find a way to debunk it no matter, like I've said before you have not lost an argument on the Bowsite in 15 years, I doubt it will happen today, and it won't change my mind that if YOU want to hunt natural YOU need to learn how to build crossbows and high powered rifles because that's what the natural hunters would have done way back when. Native Americans improved their odds of killing game they didn't devolve, they evolved. Soon as they could get their hands on guns they used them. To me that's natural.

And RC far as U.S. big buck hunters pumping our chest out goes, I think SOME of you traditional hunters like to pump your chest out letting everyone who will listen to you know how your doing it the hard way. Hey I admire you guys for making your own gear and hunting with it but don't ask me for aculades for it ; ) Ya ole sissy pants ; )

Treebrat

04-Mar-15
Mike, seems like you're starting to like me..? And what are aculades? Could that be accolades? Nothing like ah wheel bow boy who can't spell.. LMFAO XO :) LOL

04-Mar-15
Aculades= expandable fish hooks:)

04-Mar-15
Thanks guys, I appreciate civil debate with you, even when we disagree almost entirely. And Mike, it's odd that you say that... because I think it works both ways and certainly don't feel as though I've ever 'won' a debate with you... and whether you see it or not, I do learn from our conversations and my opinions have evolved due to them. If they didn't, I wouldn't be here.

I have to say though that you're largely misunderstanding(or purposely deflecting) my thoughts on the benefits of more-natural values surrounding the hunt. It isn't really a weapon thing... for instance, your native subsististence hunter/gatherer isn't going to pass opportunities at smaller bucks, does, or other animals, birds, etc. and focus on only big-antlered bucks because you offer him a crossbow, compound, rifle, etc. His actions and their effects on nature are a byproduct of his needs and values, natural ones, subsistence, like any other predator, and even if he used a different weapon, in the end the result will still be a more 'natural selection' of all of his prey which is how all of nature thrives.

04-Mar-15
Aculades= expandable fish hooks:)

That's probably how Mike catches all those perch too.

Surprised he hasn't posted a picture of the exit hole:)

04-Mar-15
The native subsistance hunter also shot as many deer as he needed so he did not have to pass up any game. The thought probably never entered his mind. No seasons and bag limits other than knowing what was the right thing to do.

04-Mar-15
The native subsistance hunter also shot as many deer as he needed so he did not have to pass up any game. The thought probably never entered his mind. No seasons and bag limits other than knowing what was the right thing to do.

04-Mar-15
Yeah, only what he needed. And he shot, caught, picked, dug, and cached whatEVER he needed from a rather sizable buffet... not just deer. He took opportunities offered by the young, less wary, weak, injured, smaller protein sources, fish, edible plants, etc. For millenia, as subsistence hunter/gathers, no bag limits, recognized 'game species', antler restrictions, and such were needed. Then we showed up :^(

I'm hungry... I'm going to Burger King :^)

04-Mar-15
Burger King waitress: Can I take your order.

Jeffro: Yes I'd like a double gluten free whopper with gluten free cheese, and gluten free fries/no salt.

And a large diet gluten free coke.. :)

04-Mar-15

I agree Jeff. We did screw things up!

04-Mar-15
:^)

04-Mar-15
Contrarian you have a pm

04-Mar-15
LOL, you guys crack me up!

05-Mar-15

Treerat's embedded Photo
Treerat's embedded Photo
Your welcome Jeff I want to be the Yin in your Yang, I don't know if that sounds so good. But I like your above explanation and I agree.

RC only thing you know how to spell without "spell check" is PBR, BTW where is yer boy Contrairian er I mean Roger?

Ps You should have met me at Dobbins Landing yesterday like I told Ya to Ya ole fart! school was canceled here because of icey roads, my Boy hunter cleaned up.

05-Mar-15

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Cool picture, Mike..

05-Mar-15
Very cool. Enjoy every second bud. Blink... and they're grown.

07-Mar-15
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-wired-to-hunt-podcast/id852332047?mt=2&i=335365228

If this does not work anyone can go to I tunes and search deer hunting podcasts, go to "wired to hunt" episode # 43 Handeling Whitetail Management adversity with DR Grant Wood

I would urge any deer nut to listen to all the "wired to hunt podcasts" with host & outdoor writer Mark Kenyon, they have some real informative interviews with some great deer hunters whitetail biologists and land managers, lots of great tips tactics and studies on the whitetail deer. You will find yourself taking notes and listening to certain episodes over and over again. Sorry Jeff nothing bout squirrels ; 0

Jeff if this link works, here is the podcast with DR Grant Woods talking about the deer herd today. Somewhere in the middle he talked about his research into pre European Whitetail herds from Florida to the Dakotas. through research he found that archeologists across the country had examined 10,000 pelvic girtels while studying butchering practices of native Americans. They found that the sex ratio of deer butchered was 50% buck 50% doe. They also found that 50% of the deer killed were 3 1/2 or older. He says the pelvic girtel is a great indicator of gender and maturaty.

Mike

08-Mar-15
I have a pelvic girdle....wanna see?:)

08-Mar-15
Mike, thanks. Those ratios tell me they didn't care what the sex or age of a venison meal was... and that natural selection had created a herd nicely balanced in age and gender by default.

Yeah, even though they were there playing an equal part in man's survival along with all sorts of other critters... nothing there about squirrels... today they're just not 'worthy'.

08-Mar-15
Injun might use fire stick, and drink fire water back then... But he never would shoot a sissy pants wheel bow and mechanical heads. Let alone sit in a heated tent and ice fish. They had balls back then:)

08-Mar-15
HMS

• Sitka Gear