cbulas30 01-Mar-15
drslyr 01-Mar-15
Wild Bill 01-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 02-Mar-15
yukon roz 02-Mar-15
Garbanzo 02-Mar-15
GF 12-Mar-15
01-Mar-15
I hunt public land and was wondering if anyone knows of good naturally occurring food sources that occur on public land for deer in connecticut. It would be nice to have a food plot but I don't have one. I am stuck with hunting food on public land. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

01-Mar-15
cbulas

not sure I understand your question. Do you want to know what deer eat on state land so you can plant more of it? Or are you just looking for the food source to hunt over it?

01-Mar-15
a food source to hunt over.

as far as i know planting on state land is illegal, is that correct?

01-Mar-15
that my man is the trick...i prefer to hunt over a plate of steak n eggs..lol

01-Mar-15
If you're hunting hardwoods, acorns are the key. Deer typically will browse to and from oaks that are dropping. Look for trails if possible.

If you're hunting state land that borders houses and/or neighborhoods, it's a good idea to set up as close as possible. Deer will feed in the yards at night and make their way to and from these areas each day. Plus a lot of people feed the deer now so you stand a better chance hunting close to the houses/border.

And the food source will change quickly..,usually only days at a time in certain areas. State land is tough. You'd be better served looking for terrain features that have to funnel deer. Set up in these funnels and stay ready. Best chances to get sightings are in funnels.

01-Mar-15
For some reason this seems to be a little known thing: Maple Leaves.

The leaves of a sugar maple are an absolute deer magnet for a brief period of time after a hard frost. They seem to particularly sweet. I have seen deer walk past white oak acorns to eat maple leaves. Then a few days later, they ignore them.

01-Mar-15
thanks for the info, good advice, i never would have thought about setting near house borders or maple leaves but I will give it a try, it makes sense that deer would like those places.

and i will continue the search for funnels, found a few but need more.

01-Mar-15
The deer around my area prefer maple syrup pure as opposed to the store bought kind. They say its just better on pancakes and waffles. Sometimes they even like it from a funnel.

01-Mar-15
If you find white oak trees on public land, there is no law against feeding them to produce abundant acorns.

02-Mar-15
just don't make a pile of acorns near your stand, that's considered as baiting as well, even if the acorns are from the woods you hunt.

02-Mar-15
drslyr that must be the two legged dear ,I think he means the four legged ones just a guess though all information is helpful one way or another. ;)

02-Mar-15
Rasberry and Blackberry patches are good areas too. Deer like to browse on the leaves.

12-Mar-15
Pretty sure Bill was talking about feeding the trees, rather than creating a bait pile...

JMO, setting up too close to a property line is asking for trouble.. Deer runs the wrong way and you've got one will be a pain to get to at best, and will get your name in the paper if it all goes pear-shaped.

Not to mention that "hunting" that way we'll just set you up to become one more of "that kind of person" who doesn't know what to do when he gets to be more than 50 yards from the road. You don't want that!

There's a lot more to this whole "hunting" business then shooting in animal as it stands over a pile of food. It's not easy, and God knows I'm not nearly as good at it as I would like to be, but that's why you keep trying.

• Sitka Gear