spike78 04-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 05-Mar-15
Rooster 05-Mar-15
bigbuckbob 05-Mar-15
steve 06-Mar-15
spike78 06-Mar-15
spike78 06-Mar-15
01-Mar-15
By using 2015 CT DEEP transects for Newtown and Redding, CT; and then comparing those results to the privately-funded FLIR surveys we now have an idea as to what the numbers really look like for deer in surrounding towns.

By taking these "known" values" (baseline data) a reliable estimate can be made for the surrounding towns. For example, using this baseline data a safe estimate of the deer population for Monroe, CT; is likely to be around 258 deer in total with a 9.88 dpsm.

Interested in any input Monroe hunters wish to provide.

02-Mar-15
Are the numbers for the average for the hole town ,or just one area of the town ? Because to me 10 seems low for any of the towns .Steve

02-Mar-15
The Monroe, CT; deer harvest for 2014 was 50 deer and the estimate is for the whole town. Monroe has 26.1 square miles and its` DEEP transect density is lower than Newtown by 13.43%.

02-Mar-15
"The Monroe, CT; deer harvest for 2014 was 50"

I bet people just stopped reporting deer kills.

02-Mar-15
i have a tiny 2 acre piece closer to the Shelton side close to jones tree farm . ive always had 7-8 deer cruising by . 2013 I had 5. 2014 I only saw 2 . the owner and the people in the area say the same thing . the only thing on the increase is the coyotes . I would imagine the areas with bigger woods are holding more deer . how would the numbers be affected by "boundry deer " , meaning if there are 10 deer close to Shelton and the same deer crossed to Monroe , wouldn't the numbers get screwey or would they kinda cancel out

02-Mar-15
One fact that everyone may not have been aware of is that when the CT DEEP flies their transect surveys they can cover multiple towns.

This becomes a problem with on a transect that covers, for example, 3 towns they detect 40 deer and then report those 40 as a density (dpsm) for EACH of the three towns. I wish I had a good explanation for this practice but I can only guess.

We've had two private FLIR surveys that rang true with a lot of people with decades of hunting experience in the two towns. Based on a comparison of those numbers with DEEP transects and harvest numbers it looks more and more like those (FLIR) numbers are pretty close to dead-on-point.

There will always be pockets of higher concentrations of deer, make no mistake. What we can't do however is confuse density (# of deer in a particular area) with overall population. They are two very different things.

If nothing else was accomplished by the FLIR surveys of Redding and Newtown at minimum notice was served to the CT DEEP (and others) that hunters aren't writing anyone a blank check anymore and when on-the-ground reality doesn't line up with what they're saying we will question and we will not back off.

03-Mar-15
Not trying to take sides but do you guys honestly think there is 9.88 deer per Sq mile in Fairfield co.? You guys are nuts or have never hunted I a area that truly has 9-10 deer per Sq mile. No way no how.....if you guys really think that I invite you to hunt western mass/nh/ maine then get back to me. I totally agree that there is alot less deer but 9-10 deer per Sq mile?

03-Mar-15
Jason,

Notwithstanding that your statements appear to contradict your not taking sides claim I have to point out that absent any personal knowledge of where people hunt you shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about people not understanding what low deer numbers look like.

People like BBB or myself (and I'm sure others) who have hunted in NW CT for years in places like Norfolk and Colebrook know exactly what less than 10 dpsm looks like.

Even the CT DEEP had those 2 towns pegged at under 10 dpsm for years.

I'm sure you didn't set out to be purposely insulting but next time please invest a little more thought before hitting "submit".

03-Mar-15
I do not believe those numbers are right either.

They might not be as high as the DEEP says but there is NO WAY they are that low either.

I thought it before I hit submit Mike (but just for about half a second).

P.S.

If they are that low, I am all for closing hunting immediately and keep it closed for 2-3 years.

03-Mar-15
Monroes' deer harvest for this year 2014 was 50 deer total; which is a deer to square mile ratio equaling - 1.915. So if Monroe hunters are only harvesting approximately 2 deer per square mile where are all these deer you are referring to ? We figured Monroe at approximate 258 deer total which is 9.88 deer per square mile. If anything the estimate is probably high do to Monroes' deer population in decline over the past five years. If you are only harvesting 20% of your deer; the deer herd would be increasing not decreasing !

Everyone hunting in Zone 11 really needs to understand that the numbers are very low; and with heavy predation we have a big problem.

03-Mar-15
I believe whole heartedly that they are that low! My eyes, years of hunting here in SW FFld Cty and now my cameras don't lie!! I run cameras and hunt in two specific areas more than my other spots because of my work schedule and proximity to those spots. In one spot I can say with 100% certainty that there are about 15 deer there that I see on camera and in person on an everyday basis once it gets cold and they come to my feeder. That spot has a big wooded area adjoining it that is a bit over a mile square. And there is another big wooded area less than a mile away so I'm sure some of those 15 deer migrate back and forth. My point is if the numbers weren't that low I would no doubt be seeing way more deer through out the season. And Jason just so you understand, we all didn't start our hunting career here and/or only hunt here in FFld Cty. Some of us maybe, but not all of us, so we do know what its like to hunt in areas with lower deer densities. I grew up in Upstate NY and cut my deer hunting teeth in the Adirondacks. Probably even way less deer than in MASS or where ever else in the North East. Call me nuts if you will but as Mike put it "generalizations" don't work

03-Mar-15
It those numbers were right (9.88) deer per sq. Mile I Would not be driving 2-1/2 hours from Mass. A lot less then previous years, but IMOP no way what's stated, not buying it for a minute.

03-Mar-15
Just because there are more deer here than in Mass doesn't mean the numbers aren't right! You guys are coming here out of habit, stuck in the 90's...Lol

03-Mar-15
All these hunters from MA. seem to have been to the Dr. Williams school of deer counting; deer reproducing at a rate of 350% a year, etc, etc.! If all these MA. hunters are so knowledgeable about deer and deer numbers in Connecticut how is it they let their own deer herd go down the drain. And now they know more than the people that actually live here in Connecticut.

Please do us all a big favor and don't do to our deer herd what you have already done to your own deer herd in MA.

03-Mar-15
Not stuck in the 90's at all LB, just a guy who loves to hunt and fish. While doing that in Ct I've made some pretty good friends (landowners). Mr. Airrow, I'm not for decimating Ct's deer herd, that does nothing for me. I just don't agree with your DPSM #'s.

03-Mar-15
I can certainly respect a difference of opinion. It seems though that there is a sense among some that opinion should if not equate to fact, at least count for as much in the court of public opinion.

A few items that are not opinion:

Two privately-funded FLIR surveys were performed; in Newtown and Redding. Those surveys were performed by the best in the business; a company with over thousands of wildlife surveys done and one who consults for several US agencies, including the US Fish & Game Department and the US Forestry service.

The surveys encompassed the entire towns, not a few "honey-holes" (prime wintering areas) so we are getting a true picture of the deer herd in those towns.

As I said at the start I have complete respect for opinions and for differences of opinions. At some point though, respectfully something concrete has to be laid on the table as a counterpoint.

At the end of the day the issue won't be decided by gut feelings, opinions or how anyone's big toe feels on cold, windy days; it will be decided by what the facts say.

To any who dispute the facts; fine-lay your countering facts on the table and let's have that discussion.

03-Mar-15
Not sure what that answer even means in regard to the number of deer here in Ct...we all love to hunt and fish and have made some great friends doing so

03-Mar-15

03-Mar-15
Have a great evening guys.

03-Mar-15
Should be pretty easy to tell whether there are "plenty of deer" as one formerly frequent poster claimed, or "not so many" as some other think, and as some FLIR flyovers have suggested.

We have quite a bit of snow on the ground, drive around, and then get out and hike a bit. Do you see tons of tracks or just a few? With new snow every few days you get lots of chances to do this.

Anyone interested in having a firsthand look at Redding can get in touch with me. I know the town pretty well, including where the culls are/were. We can drive around the whole area, then get out in the woods and you can see for yourself.

Is it 7.5 dpsm, or 10, or 30? I don't know the number, but I know that deer leave tracks in the snow.

And just for the record, I hunted western MA for years, (Berkshire Cty) and lived in Maine for 4 years.

03-Mar-15
Ive never been to these towns so Id like to know what the sq miles of forest are in relation to roads and buildings. I think that is why we get the density confused. For example my home town of Granby MA is a very rural town with alot of woods. If we have say the same amount of deer as say Newtown then between the two towns it would be way different. Same amount of deer just more room here to roam meaning a tougher hunt. I see pockets of 6-8 deer were as in a congested FF county town their may be pockets of 10-12. I may be wrong but that could be the case. We may have the same amount of deer as CT but with more square miles of woods. Just a thought.

03-Mar-15
Also Airrow, we (hunters) did not destroy our deer herd. We are only allowed one doe with a permit. In eastern MA they get two doe tags usually now. I can legally shoot 2 bucks and 1 doe IF I draw a doe tag here in the west end. The problem here is old mature woods with no agriculture and no thick cover. Carry on guys.

03-Mar-15
Forgot to mention our deer harvest averages around 11,000 each year which is around 3000 less then CT. We deffiniately are not slaughtering our deer. I plan on hunting northern CT this year but I can tell you one deer will make me plenty happy, Im that guy.

04-Mar-15
I have 1 ? first I agree that the deer heard is way down, But how dose Dave S and others shoot 30 plus deer with only 10 psm . If I shot every deer I could of this year I might of shot 10 different deer . I probably saw 40 different deer in 3 or for towns . STEVE

04-Mar-15
One common error (my opinion) in the "I think the number is higher" crowd is that you're comparing one area with low numbers to SW CT. That's not a logical approach to determining the deer herd in any situation.

Example: I hunt in an area where there are few deer and travel to another that seems to have 3X more deer. I form the opinion that the first area has 8-10 dpsm (based on DEEP or other hunters or whatever) and second area must have 30 dpsm because I'm seeing a lot more deer.

The facts could show both areas hold the same total deer, but you happen to find a pocket in the second area, nothing more.

I've hunted the NW for 46 years now, and I've seen areas become void of any deer, but through scouting and homework, I've been able to find pockets in the same general area where the hunting has been GOOD. That doesn't mean the entire area holds the same number of deer as it did 46 years ago, nor does it mean the higher numbers in the "pocket" are representative of the entire area.

I know the deer herd is lower today in "general" than it was 46 years ago. Do I care if the numbers are 8-10 or 30-40 dpsm? Not at all. What I consider GOOD hunting others may say is terrible. What I do care about is sound game management so my grandson can have the same hunting experiences that I've enjoyed.

04-Mar-15
Steve, curious, what towns did you hunt? Also, the 10 dpsm does not include correction of deer missed by flir and does not include birth rates come hunting season If this is added then it would be moreclike 15-16+ dpsm.

04-Mar-15
Redding's FLIR count did not account for the deer take in January 2015 of 19 deer. 234 deer or 7.43 dpsm minus 19 = 215 total or 6.83 dpsm. If we add the correction factor of 14% we have 245 deer; now add your fawn recruitment / fawn count of approximate 20%, you have approximate 294 deer or 9.33 dpsm. Most deer surveys are done prior to fawn recruitment / fawn count.

04-Mar-15
Steve

In 2013 regular season Dave reported 20 deer taken outside of Redding.

In 2014 Dave the self-proclaimed local spokesman for White Buffalo was very careful to report most of his deer as taken in Redding, CT. How would Dave take 40 deer in 2014 / 2015 season in Redding? The answer maybe is as simple as; He didn't? To your point perhaps Dave saw and shot the same deer you saw in other towns. The bigger question would be what did Dave do with 40 deer?

04-Mar-15
to say ma hunters ruined the ma deer herd is nuts. in the central/western zones it has always been 2 bucks + 1 doe tag if you draw... our dpsm has been stable at 8-12 for a long time. do we bitch....yes. but to compare Fairfield co to us is nuts

I agree with steve have any of you guys every met dave streit? Nothing against the guy but for him to shoot 40 deer in a year in a area that has 7-10 deer per sq mile.....well then I guess we should all take hunting lessons from him! seriously if #'s are that low he wouldn't be doing that....he isn't that good.

on another note my friend that works for the deep( yes he is a deer biologist) told me that during his fly over they counted hundereds of deer, he said with out a correction factor it still came out to 32 deer per sq mile, again that was actual deer counted.

I agree the deer population isn't what it was in ct, but it is no where near 10deer per sq mile.

im done with this subject. its getting stupid around hear

04-Mar-15
Rooster

as usual - just because I say it doesn't mean it's true! Great point.

Did I say how I look just like George Clooney?

04-Mar-15
Are all DPSM created equal?

I would imagine to a hunter 10 DPSM in an a suburban setting seems like a lot more deer than 10 DPSM in a big woods setting.

With houses and neighborhoods, parking lots, roads, etc, a SM in suburbia does not equal a SM in the woods. Don't you have to take that into account?

04-Mar-15
A sm is a sm .Toonces I don't get it .

04-Mar-15
steve

Toonces is making a great point.

Yes a SM is a SM, however a SM where the habitat is covered with buildings provides much less living space for the deer. Therefore the 10 dpsm are congregated into the remaining living space. Once you go outside to find deer you only have to look at that small space to locate them.

Take the same 10 deer and put them in natural forest with no buildings, ponds, lakes, cliffs, etc and they can spread out, making them more difficult to locate.

04-Mar-15
What I mean is to a hunter 10 deer in a SM of uninterrupted woods is going to seem like a lot less deer that 10 deer in a SM of suburbia where there may be only a 1/2 mile of area for those deer to be at any given time.

In suburbia you can subtract out a lot of that square mile as being impossible to hold deer or hunt (homes, roads, parking lots, etc).

04-Mar-15
Great point Toonces...all SM are not created equal and I think Spike was alluding to that very point...Have you ever heard the term "a country mile"? Thats exactly what this is referring to. jdrdeer - your true colors are showing because you have a friend who works for the DEEP so whatever he says must be gospel right? And if you can't see through the thinly veiled rug that DS was covering your eyes with then you are your own problem...you answered the question yourself...He did not shoot that many in one town...maybe not even by himself

04-Mar-15
get it now .

04-Mar-15
Why is there no correction factor applied to the FLIR results? The numbers being tossed around are raw counts, which assumes every deer was seen and counted. Just like people here have argued that the 2X correction that the DEEP used was an overestimate, not applying some sort of correction factor to the FLIR is an underestimate...correct? IMO, throwing around the raw numbers without consideration of some sort of correction loses a bit of credibility in the discussion. Maybe the reason is that some prefer to say numbers are in the single digits to drive the point home. If someone thinks that every deer in each fly over was seen and counted, I would like to know. Some may argue that it doesn't matter since the overall picture is that numbers are down across the board, I understand that.

04-Mar-15
Lb....my true colors? Yes I have a friend in deep...yes I have know him for probally 25 years. Anyway that has nothing to do with any of this. Back to the Dave streit guy just because he shot his deer in multiple towns what does that have to do with anything....according to some people here most the towns in Fairfield co are between 7-11 deer per Sq mile.....so either he is one hell of a hunter or there's alot more deer than what you guys are claiming or he is lying about how many deer he kills. I can't imagine anyone lying about killing more deer in ct where tags are free...

04-Mar-15
tobywon - Redding, CT; deer survey correction factor - Redding's FLIR count did not account for the deer take in January 2015 of 19 deer. 234 deer or 7.43 dpsm minus 19 = 215 total or 6.83 dpsm. If we add the correction factor of 14% we have 245 deer or 7.77 dpsm.

You can apply the correction factor 14% to any of the FLIR surveys completed in 2015; just remember to subtract the deer taken in January after the survey was done.

04-Mar-15
jrdeerslayer

I have to say that poeple exaggerating about how many deer they kill, how big the buck was, the size of the fish that got away, how many women they slept with is only natural. Most people would have no problem believing that the stories of killing 40 deer fit into this category.

04-Mar-15
Really jdr? You can't figure out how he could kill 40 deer from X number of towns and say they were all from one town to exaggerate the numbers to make his point look valid? Maybe you should be done with this post if thats your hurdle! Look nobody said there were no deer in these areas but what we are saying is there are way less than what we want to see and that number was established by the FLIR survey. And I for one believe the FLIR survey to be more in line with reality than anything else I have seen printed

04-Mar-15
To everyone on this thread; for hopefully the final time I will repeat what has been posted on more than one occasion:

1. No one disputes the number of deer seen on the aerial transects performed by the CT DEEP; what is disputed is the misapplication of the method to report deer densities for an entire town.

In the example jd posted above you cannot label the population as 32 dpsm when your transect only covers 5% (or less) of the towns you surveyed. As these transects often cover multiple towns this amplifies the error, further skewing the numbers to the high side.

On another thread I tried to illustrate this mistake by using an example of a town containing 20 churches and a size capacity ranging from 50 people to 500. If I went to 1 church (5%) that holds 500 people, did a head count and had 425 people in that church I cannot state that every church in that town will have 425 people in it every Sunday of the year.

This is EXACTLY what the CT DEEP is doing with their surveys when they count hundreds of deer over 3 towns, surveying between 3-5% of the total square miles of those towns and then extrapolate those numbers to a town-wide deer density for each town.

There's a term for this type of science; junk science.

2. The only way you can report a deer density per square mile for a town is to do an actual census, as was done with the privately-funded FLIR. Working from a total population you can then divide that number by the square miles of the town and report a town-wide density as dpsm.

3. When someone claims it is impossible to have any one person shoot 40 deer with a dpsm of 10 they have a very poor understanding of what deer density means and an equally poor understanding of math and statistical probability.

If Redding had 10 dpsm there would be 315 deer give or take. Not only can one person shoot 40, 6 others can do likewise and you still have 35 deer available.

Is this likely? Of course not, but it certainly isn't impossible. To categorically state one person couldn't do it could easily qualify one for a Darwin award.

The confusion about deer density and what it means needs to be addressed (again). Let's take Redding again and for ease, let's go with 10 dpsm or 315 in total. This does not mean that every 1 square mile of Redding has 10 deer; one can have 45, one can have 5, one can have 55 and some may have none at all; for a town-wide deer density the only numbers that matter are the total square miles (31.5) and the total number of deer (315).

How those deer are distributed is up to the available habitat and the preference of the available habitat.

This is another big flaw with the CT DEEP's numbers; they compound their mistake of not surveying the entire town by assuming an equal distribution of deer throughout the town. Everyone on this forum should know that's nonsense (or to use jd's word-nuts).

The transects the CT DEEP flies are also over known areas of high concentration of deer (wintering areas). This magnifies their error even further. It's analogous to stacking the deck in a card game.

4. The correction factors for the FLIR have been posted probably close to a dozen times on multiple threads (I even posted a link on at least one occasion to Vision Air Research's website and advised anyone who wanted to understand the method to look it over.)

5. No one has ever stated that the privately-funded FLIR was the be-all, end-all of deer counting. As mentioned in #4 the correction factors have been given multiple times. What has been stated and is factual is that it represents a much better and more reliable picture of what the on-the-ground reality is in the two towns surveyed and likely for much of FF county than the flawed methodology used by the CT DEEP.

Now as I stated above I fully respect everyone's right to their opinion and have equal respect for everyone's right to post theirs.

As I said though, at some point it becomes incumbent upon the naysayers to pony up some facts; your opinion may be you don't buy 10 dpsm; fine, but at some point it is fair to ask upon what facts you're basing that opinion on.

That is how a discussion of a worthwhile nature progresses; we move past opinions and share and compare facts. Ultimately the facts win out.

"You're nuts", "this is stupid" and "my friend at the DEEP says" are not facts.

I'm perfectly willing to discuss facts, even contrary ones; if you don't have them just admit that and keep your opinion as is without the allusions to an inferior mental state of the side posting facts.

That type of behavior is beneath the importance of the topic.

04-Mar-15
I would like to see a harvest history in the past 5 or 10 years. This doesnt give you a count but I feel its a great indicator of herd increase or decrease.

05-Mar-15
spike

be careful with using the harvest report to determine or even get a feel for deer herd size. As the regs changed over the years by allowing baiting, more tags, a bad reporting system, cross bows, longer seasons, etc the number of deer taken can certainly increase, but that also means the number of deer remaining can be far less. At some point the kill numbers will begin to drop, even with all of the above changes and that's when the herd is at dangerously low levels.

05-Mar-15
Spike DEEP website provides harvest for each town over the last 6+ years in their annual deer reports

BBB Remember DEEP utilized deer harvest numbers to determine bag limits and set deer management goals for years without a problem. It was only when the helicopter transects with manipulated data started that we began to see inconsistencies in harvest vs population trends.

We are now seeing the effects of "baiting, more tags, a bad reporting system, cross bows, longer seasons, etc" in Redding and surrounding towns; And yes dangerously low levels that could lead to herd collapse.

Time for a change in attitude...

05-Mar-15
Rooster

exactly my point. Using the harvest numbers as an indicator for the health of the herd is mis-leading when so many other variables have been added. The fact that the DEEP uses them, as you have stated, is another piece of the puzzle that doesn't fit into determining the number of deer.

Shoot just hte mature bucks and let the doe and small bucks walk. That's what works for me.

06-Mar-15
BBB just think how the heard would come back in 16 years .LOL

06-Mar-15
Like I said, harvest trends wont tell you how many deer their are but they indicate a stable or declining herd. Whether you bait and use a high powered rifle it doesnt matter. If their are less deer then the harvest number declines. You cant kill whats not there. In the case of Redding the harvest as steadily declined meaning yes the herd is smaller than it once was.

06-Mar-15
Like I said, harvest trends wont tell you how many deer their are but they indicate a stable or declining herd. Whether you bait and use a high powered rifle it doesnt matter. If their are less deer then the harvest number declines. You cant kill whats not there. In the case of Redding the harvest as steadily declined meaning yes the herd is smaller than it once was.

• Sitka Gear