buckmaster69 05-Mar-15
rick allison 05-Mar-15
rick allison 05-Mar-15
rick allison 05-Mar-15
razorhead 05-Mar-15
rick allison 05-Mar-15
03-Mar-15

Naz 's Link
Crossbow and vertical bow deer hunters combined to register at least 46,201 antlered bucks this past season, slightly more than the previous record of 45,988 set in 2012 (when crossbow numbers were unknown and legally limited to disabled and age 65 and over users). The crossbow total in 2014 was at least 15,768 bucks and the bow total at least 30,433 bucks. There were 923 unknowns, most likely from improperly filled out stubs.

On the antlerless side, the combined 34,577 (plus some of the unknowns) included 23,689 bow and 10,888 crossbow deer. The combined total of less than 35K is well below the 10-year average of about 45,000 (not including EAB years), and about 55K when including EAB years in the average.

Statewide, the overall harvest for all seasons topped 300,000 whitetails for the 21st straight year. The last times we were under 300K: 1993, 1987, 1986 and any year prior to 1985.

03-Mar-15
How many vertical and xbow licenses were sold in 2014? The crossover stamp makes this a little grey but the net affect is a non event. 2013- 266,000 bow hunters(13,000 were xbow disabled) harvested 87,600 deer=32.9% success rate. 2014- vertical harvest=54,800 xbow harvest=26,900=81,700 total stick/bolt harvest. The xbow slaughter never happened as the net affect was insignificant.

03-Mar-15
Cant wait for the phone in process. Those numbers should be REAL accurate.

03-Mar-15
We were told bowhunting was ruined and hunting in WI would never be the same when xbows arrived. Keeping it real, those numbers disprove that story line, at least for the 2014 season.

03-Mar-15
Its the first year. Lets wait a couple years then see the totals.

03-Mar-15
"We were told bowhunting was ruined and hunting in WI would never be the same when xbows arrived. Keeping it real, those numbers disprove that story line, at least for the 2014 season"

Considering that the crossbow buck kill was well over a quarter of the archery buck kill in the first year. I definitely think bowhunting in WI is quickly heading in the wrong direction. Add to that, that crossbows sales are still very strong and are actually outselling vertical bows. The painting is on the wall for crossbow kills to be the majority in the next 5 years. pretty disgusting.

03-Mar-15
What Rutnut said. Pretty alarming statistics for the first year. Goes to show the mentality of the masses out there. Disgusting is a good word for it.

03-Mar-15
As a percentage, the buck crossbow kill was higher than the archery buck kill or the gun buck kill. If we follow suit as Michigan and other states did, the crossbow effort will increase for the coming years. If that kill rate remains similar, the effect crossbows have on our buck kill will be huge.

"The painting is on the wall for crossbow kills to be the majority in the next 5 years." Exactly! This was known by some long before we had any type of crossbow season. Why some are oblivious to the readily apparent is beyond me.

03-Mar-15
How many vertical bow and xbow licenses were sold in 2014?

03-Mar-15
Archery license in 2014- 184,369 sold; down 34,763 from 2013.

Crossbow license in 2014- 65,153 sold.

03-Mar-15
Dunno still about all the hoopla. I read how bowhunting was a done deal in WI on this site all of last year, yet we had pretty decent numbers even after a couple of terrible winters, higher predation, and reduced antlerless tags. I hunt in the UP too and now own land there as well. I have not experienced any negative impacts there. Loads of deer. Last I heard, the deer herd in OH is doing very well and they've had xbows for what 30 years now. The hoopla is just that IMHO.

03-Mar-15
Ohio … Ohio…. F Ohio. Ohio is a one buck state !!

03-Mar-15
"Ohio is a one buck state "

Also the buck-eye state :).

03-Mar-15
Right on Buck! Comparing apples to oranges only works when a person does not want to see the truth.

03-Mar-15
The published numbers should come out soon, but as of the gun deer season (when a majority would have been purchased) there were nearly 179,000 archery licenses sold (plus more than 4,600 $3 upgrades for those who purchased crossbow licenses at full price). In the past, Conservation Patrons were always added (though some might not bow or crossbow hunt, most probably do). There were around 47,500 Patrons at the time pushing "archery" into the 231K + territory, a drop of about 35K from the 266K+ record of 2013.

For crossbows, there were close to 47K come the gun season plus nearly 18K $3 upgrades (from those who bought archery first) for a total of about 65K.

Will take some surveying to tease out the exact numbers, and even then may never know for sure. It was more than just disabled shooting crossbows in the past. Many age 65 and over did as well. How many? Nobody knows. And since the gun numbers were down significantly as well, I don't think it's as easy as just giving all those 35K archers to switching over to crossbows.

03-Mar-15
"Comparing apples to oranges only works when a person does not want to see the truth. "

What do you mean by this Mike? I'm confused. What truth do I not see? I know I have not seen hunting fall apart in WI or MI with xbows. Not yet anyway. I know that hunting is alive and well in OH too - a 1 buck state that has been a 1 buck state for a very long time and not due to xbows. What am I missing? You know it all so teach me.

03-Mar-15
Ohio is a one buck state. WI is not.

03-Mar-15
So in 2013 266,000 archers(13,000 disabled xbows) took 8,000 more [email protected]% success rate. 2014=249,000 vertical/xbow took 81,000 [email protected]% success rate. Vertical=30% success. Xbow=41% success rate. My guess is the vertical guys are also more apt to be fine with tag soup.i just dont see cause for concern. There are only so many slots on private lands. We have had 2 disabled xbows for 30 years@100% success. Nothing changed this year. Nobody vertical picked up one of our camp xbows, the state lost a net 17,000 verttical/xbow combined from 2013.

03-Mar-15
Naz, my numbers are from the Dept. Plus you can't just add patrons to archery. 65k is the crossbow tag sales, not 47K

03-Mar-15
You are right as always Mike but OH was not made a 1 buck state due to xbows and has been a 1 buck state for a very long time.

How is MI still able to offer a deer season which includes a 15 day gun season? I would have thought that xbows would have decimated the herd by now so bad that they would rescind their combo tags and shorten all their seasons.

03-Mar-15
Without an "EAB-type" effort to reduce deer numbers in the southern two-thirds of WI, I don't think we'll have to worry about losing the ability to target a buck in both bow/crossbow and firearm hunts here. The ag lands herd is prolific. The increasing popularity of passing young bucks plays a role, as does being able to hunt with bow/crossbow in former urban/suburban refuges. Access to quality areas will continue to be a problem for those who don't own/lease/have access to their own spot.

03-Mar-15
Bingo naz, access limits the xbow effect.

03-Mar-15
Access is what accentuates the crossbow effect on public lands.

Happy, some people are not worth conversing with. You have entered that realm. Keep up your "ignorant" comments on the internet while others continue to help to shape the seasons you will have to adhere to.

03-Mar-15
So, we had 65,000 crossbow hunters in 2014? In the first year? That's a lot more than I predicted. Wait until this fall, that number may double. Hopefully the separate license is what saves us. Time will tell. BC

03-Mar-15
Sorry you won't converse Mike. I'm just trying to learn where my thought process is wrong. I feel hunting is alive and doing very well in the best hunting state on the planet - WI.

03-Mar-15
Geitz, DNR has ALWAYS just added patrons to the archery for the total. Been at 250-266K "archers" for all but three seasons since '99, and that's with the patron total (and disabled and over 65 crossbowers) included.

My numbers are also from the Department in Excel format, broken down by resident, nonresident, age, etc. Crossbow tag sales were close to 47K. The 65K includes the $3 upgrade; close to 18K folks bought the upgrade after first purchasing a regular archery license. Less than 5K did the same for the archery upgrade after first purchasing the crossbow license.

03-Mar-15
Compounds are clearly on their way out, the new traditional.

03-Mar-15
Based on Lic sales, crossbows enjoyed a higher success rate than did bowhunters in 2014 Archer lic sales were 184,369 meaning the buck success rate per person was .165 Xgun lic sales were 65,153 meaning the buck success rate per person was .242 Antlerless success rate per bowhunter was .128 Antlerless success rate per xgunhunter was .167 So crossbows are (like MI showed) more effective at killing deer and eventually the xgun kill will exceed the kill of bowhunters. Seeing this, more bowhunters will quit the sport and instead take up crossbowing meaning the number of bowhunters and their kills will go down while the numbers of xgunners and their kill will go up which is why the two seasons must be kept separate. Open Attachment: deer harvest 2014.pdf

03-Mar-15
Another thing many fail to see is that more crossbow "hunters" means less archery related activity/business. A crossbow s more like a rifle in the fact that you set it and forget it. Archers tend to tinker with their set ups and shoot more. Which leads to more shop, range, league time. Crossbows are bad for more than just bowhunting, they are bad for archery.

03-Mar-15
Agree Rut. Will eventually see less opportunity, and we should.

Bowhunting is on it's way out. No sense supporting bowhunting organizations, they are obsolete.

03-Mar-15
Well this is what I think, like anyone cares....

not much difference from an 80 percent let off than an xbow,,,,, fire away I could care less

Oh I can not pull a bow back, get real, ,,,, most guys are just lazy......

me I will shoot my recurve,,,,,, the xbow was inevitable, most high tech compound guys now feeling threatened......

The high tech compound gang has ruined it now we have their counterparts, the x bows,,,,,,

then we will go to one buck, then a shorter season.....

I have little respect for the compound crew, then wanted an easier way, now they are fighting another easier way.....

you deserve each other......

03-Mar-15
I would like to see Wisconsin become a one buck state.

03-Mar-15
The state allowed xbows for all and 8,000 fewer deer were taken while losing a net 17,000 hunters? I doubt any wheelie guys feel a threat. I also doubt we will see a real drop in vertical licenses this year vs. 2014. The wannabes have jumped the shark, the vertical crowd will stay true.

03-Mar-15
Vertical crowd will stay true but more gun hunters will take up crossguns. Also what will the majority of kids start hunting with, crossguns. Will they ever swith to a bow?

03-Mar-15
10 or better ( I like your optimisim, as a handle),,,, I see not biological reason for a one buck rule.....

however, as the xbows become more part of the picture, that may change, and your reasoning, becomes valid....

that is why the xbow is a mistake, but those who make these decision, for the most part, do not hunt,,,,,,

I remember after bows went better than 65 percent let off,, I said, okay here we go,,,,,,,,,,

To me archery was never meant to be easy or for everyone, that is why their was some what of a challenge..................

Look how cool the early ML season was. It was mid December, the deer had rested a little, no scopes etc....

Than wendy whiner got involved and you have what today is really, a single shot rifle season,,,,,

03-Mar-15
" Also what will the majority of kids start hunting with, crossguns. Will they ever swith to a bow? " Yes when they decide to up the challenge. I am glad my dad didn't start me out dry fly fishing only.

"I would like to see Wisconsin become a one buck state. "

Its been a 1 buck state in our camp for years.

04-Mar-15
razorhead, in every instance you brought up, it's technology. But it's not really the tech biting us in the ass. It's the greedy manufacturers, dealers, vendors etc.. They see a way to make a buck if a season was expanded using their technology. Now you can't really blame those guys, as that's their job. It's not like they get up each morning, with the intent to erode more of the great hunting in WI. But you mix some greedy politicians in there that see the advancement of these seasons as money or political favor. They could care less who they trample to push things through.

There is no politician, or head honcho at the DNR that gives a damn about us. They don't really care if we are happy. They sure as hell don't care what we think on certain issues. They get paid regardless of what they do. The dissatisfaction of the people they supposedly work for, means nothing.

04-Mar-15
Nov- I wouldn't be the hunter I am today if it wasn't for my uncles starting me out with a Bear Whitetail II with no sights when I was 12 yrs old. If I was given a crossgun at that age I'm not sure if I would ever have shot a compound. The popularity will increase and the buck population will suffer.

04-Mar-15
There may not be a biological reason to go to one buck.... but let's face it... no one is saying we have too many bucks...almost all infighting is a result of not enough to go around...

That being said... 1 buck would place more on the landscape instead of in freezers... this makes more hunters happy... even if they can only shoot 1... who doesn't like seeing more bucks when hunting? ??

One buck would do wonders to slow down the hunter infighting and back stabbing and out right war over deer... plus... it would provide a more enjoyable hunt ... this brings more hunters and retains more hunters... you take the enjoyment out of deer hunting ... and you loose numbers...what enjoyment is there sitting for days without even seeing a buck??? Not saying that won't still happen... but it will happen much less.. and that is a improvement... for everyone...

I thought that's what these cheese Dick hunting orgs and special groups were supposedly assembled for... TO IMPROVE HUNTING FOR ALL...not just special interests.... 1 buck would do exactly that...no biological reason needed.

04-Mar-15
Very well said razor.

04-Mar-15
Most hunters already shoot one or fewer bucks a year. In other words, it's self-regulating by either their choice, or what they see/don't see, their shooting ability and other hunting skills (esp. with bow). Far more bucks are seen with bow than shot at. Many are out of range, spooked, or missed.

That said, going forward I think it's safe to say (if there's good compliance in reporting) we'll see 50K bucks with bow/crossbow this fall due to a growing herd in farm country and more crossbows added to the mix. If it were a one-buck rule, that's 50K fewer gun licenses they'd likely sell. Not likely to ever happen here. Just like male turkeys, bucks aren't really the biggest factor in the numbers game. It's the same reason DNR should wise up and offer two or more bull tags every year without negatively impacting the elk population.

04-Mar-15
10 thats a great idea….. one buck …lets start non residents should have to apply for buck tags!!!

04-Mar-15
We still haven't considered all the deer deaths as the sky falls! By far, more deer will die from that than any and all modern and traditional weapons combined!

04-Mar-15
Why don't you cross gunners just go to a gun forum.

04-Mar-15
"The state allowed xbows for all and 8,000 fewer deer were taken while losing a net 17,000 hunters?"

Again, while not an advocate of xbows, they will prove to be a non-issue like they have in MI, IN, and OH for comparison purposes. I would prefer we don't have full inclusion. I hope to never have to use one. But, when you research the net results (the net results being the key), they are a non-issue. This is not worth fretting over. They are here to stay and will remain full inclusion too. Too much money into now for them not to remain at the current status quo. People might as well come to grips with this and move on.

"Also what will the majority of kids start hunting with, crossguns. Will they ever switch to a bow? "

Yes, I really think they would. Kids actually like challenges. They will realize the kills were easier with xbows and see how cool the compounds are. I truly believe the majority of kids would switch. I know my son has zero interest in xbows.

04-Mar-15
Exactly Happy, It's human nature to raise the challenge bar or any sport gets boring. Fishing with meat, then artificial, then dry flyfishing.Bumper bowling then not, golfing from the blue teebox,ect. Again access will limit the xbow factor in most of the state.I doubt many more of the 2014 archery guys will go xbow this year.Most of these archers did not tag out by choice. Those inclined to tag out quick with an xbow will, great, less disruption for the rut, enjoy your fall. I also agree archery shops will feel the hit as an xbow guy will spend far less/year on equipment, bolts, ect.The wdnr has a far greater concern with losing hunters. 2014 was a massive revenue bleed and my guess is it was mainly public lands north of hwy 29. 5-15 dpsm as a goal will not sustain hunters, land values will continue to decline. Heck You already see this where northern land is $1600/acre while the hot counties are now $5-6k/acre for good hunting woods.Wisconsin deer hunting continues to be a tale of 2 experiences, public in the north vs. private south of hwy 29.

04-Mar-15
Have to agree that many young hunters who start with xbows will switch over to compound some day. Nothing like drawing back on wild game!! I believe compounds will get smaller, cooler looking and even easier to shoot in the future.

04-Mar-15
I hope some of you guys are right but I believe the majority of kids will stick with what is 'easier". Most parents won't push there kid to challenge themselves and switch to a compound.

04-Mar-15
The advantage of the xgun rests now available sure shows more of the stupity of including these xguns in any archery season. It is like shooting a gun off a shooting bench at a shooting range. Ridiculous. Might just as well allow scoped Muzzle Loaders in archery season too.

04-Mar-15
If you want to "challenge" yourself, go back to traditional. I did about 30 years ago and will never switch. Shot 65 - 70lb recurves for years, and a couple long bows up to 80lb...can't even string those anymore...lol.

Now older, (wiser?) I've got a Whippenstick Phoenix, 54lb @ 29" on order.

Crossbows...never. my brother-in-law got one last year...he's 12 years younger than me. Where's the fun in it? Lot of great crossbow shoots out there? Good forum/chatroom camaraderie? Sorry, but the brotherhood of archery is half (more?) the fun. The trad sites are great.

04-Mar-15
rick…. Got my old wiffen bow from my dad last week. Gonna wait for better weather to try it out again. I Will never go to a crossbow ! NEVER!!!

04-Mar-15
I do think you trad guys are the real deal. I wish I had the time to put in to convert.

04-Mar-15
Happy...make the time...you'll never regret it...it's just that rewarding and fun.

Anyone thinking of giving trade a go, try to hook up with a good mentor...I did in the early 80's, great teacher and guy. I owe it all to him.

If interested...START LIGHT!!! Maybe 45 - 50lbs to start...biggest mistake I see is guys over bowed to start. They get tired and frustrated and quit. For real, hook up with a veteran...most will let you try some of their gear before you lay out some coin.

It's truly a brotherhood...on a couple sites I'm in regular contact with archers from around the country and Canada, eh? :^)

I'd love to make the Denton hill and Baltimore shoots...one day!!!

04-Mar-15
Happy...make the time...you'll never regret it...it's just that rewarding and fun.

Anyone thinking of giving trade a go, try to hook up with a good mentor...I did in the early 80's, great teacher and guy. I owe it all to him.

If interested...START LIGHT!!! Maybe 45 - 50lbs to start...biggest mistake I see is guys over bowed to start. They get tired and frustrated and quit. For real, hook up with a veteran...most will let you try some of their gear before you lay out some coin.

It's truly a brotherhood...on a couple sites I'm in regular contact with archers from around the country and Canada, eh? :^)

I'd love to make the Denton hill and Baltimore shoots...one day!!!

05-Mar-15
My tin foil hat must be tilted this morning. Reading through this I keep hearing the same thing. Those darn voices again.

Archery hunters are not capable of harvesting bucks to any significant degree. Think about it once.

One, the deer have to be there to shoot in the first place. Two, there would have to be a huge increase in number of hunters. I suppose the successful kill rate will increase. But, is the wounded/lost number known? I'm betting the success rate wont go up just because of weapon choice. Not like deer are going to come running to the guy carrying a xgun.

Personally I don't really care how, or with what you do it. As long as a quick, clean ethical kill is made. You can sling coconuts from a tree for what it matters. Still have to get out there in the first place!

05-Mar-15
ra did you have trouble with your draw length when you went back to your old bow. jtek you are 100% right.

05-Mar-15
Buckmaster...no. I shot 80lb plus compound for awhile in the days of 50% let off. Switching to 65- 70lb recurve wasn't difficult. Now, I was fairly young and strong then...hockey player...fast ptich softball catcher...what have you, so I was OK.

Now, for the guy switching today...start with light bows to establish great mechanics...draw with the core big muscles, find your anchor, proper release. After tuning muscles for awhile you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to go up. BUT...DO...NOT...OVERBOW...YOURSELF!!! I think that's the main reason guys give up.

Also, learn to come to full draw; a lot of guys lean their head forward into the draw hand...NO...draw to your anchor, don't lean the anchor into the hand. Don't know if that makes sense, but it'll help avoiding the short draw.

05-Mar-15
Buckmaster...no. I shot 80lb plus compound for awhile in the days of 50% let off. Switching to 65- 70lb recurve wasn't difficult. Now, I was fairly young and strong then...hockey player...fast ptich softball catcher...what have you, so I was OK.

Now, for the guy switching today...start with light bows to establish great mechanics...draw with the core big muscles, find your anchor, proper release. After tuning muscles for awhile you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to go up. BUT...DO...NOT...OVERBOW...YOURSELF!!! I think that's the main reason guys give up.

Also, learn to come to full draw; a lot of guys lean their head forward into the draw hand...NO...draw to your anchor, don't lean the anchor into the hand. Don't know if that makes sense, but it'll help avoiding the short draw.

05-Mar-15
DAMN...with this tablet, every time I go back to check a topic...it double posts...sorry about that.

05-Mar-15
Although I like my 54 pound Checkmate, I have had complete pass thrus' with my 47lb Hoyt Buffalo, with the quiver attached, out to 25 yards.

That Hoyt bow just plain shoots,,,,,,, If you can throw a baseball, accurately at 25 yards, you can shoot a recurve well,,,,,,,,

If you do get into a recurve, good luck,,,,,, I own a compound, but it mostly sits around, hard for me to hunt without a good looking bow..

stay away from the old stuff also, lots or romance there maybe, but a lot of them were poor shooters, or stacked badly.....

go to a trad shoot, guys there will usually let you shoot there bows, and of course so will the vendors......

want to really shoot bows, go to Compton, just about every bowyer, and style is there, you can shoot bows for 4 days....

good luck in the journey

05-Mar-15
Check out WhippenStick bow's web site. Look at Ken's Phoenix take down recurve...that's what I have coming soon...pure artistry!!!

A great bowyer right here in Wisconsin.

• Sitka Gear